nice game-good length of play time, and mix of puzzle, hog, and adventure-
keep it up BFG!!!

HoudiniCats
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Age: The Dark Priests

[Post New]by HoudiniCats on Nov 5, 10 5:16 PM
This was actually a fairly decent game...like some of the other BFG members I'd have preferred more of the fractured hidden objects to ferret out, but all in all it's very enjoyable to play.

Those ultra persnickety felines, Harry and Theo, were enthused all the way through!

AZKalona
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by AZKalona on Nov 5, 10 6:55 PM
I loved the first game and this one is so much better. Great graphics, original puzzles and lots of searching. It seems to be a decent length. This one can keep you entertained for quite a while. A definite buy. Happy gaming.

[Post New]by USEUSERNAME on Nov 5, 10 7:38 PM
Great game. One of my favorites!!!! And very long. Lots of hidden objects and lots of adventure and puzzles!!!! Two thumbs up!!! It's been a long time since I had this much fun. Plays like the Mystery Case Files Games. You pick up lots of inventory and have to know where to use it. LOVE THE GAME. And still not finished yet....

Dianneamyte
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Dianneamyte on Nov 5, 10 8:30 PM
Just finished the game. It was great. I did not have to use a walkthrough once which is unusual for me. The graphics were clear. The way the game was constructed was very logical. There was a lot of going back and forth which, I do not mind at all. In this case it just made the game more fun. The hint/help button worked exactly as it should. Not so much information as to make the game boring and, not so little as to be useless.
Glad I bought this one.

OzzyRobyn
Minnow
Minnow
254 Posts

[Post New]by OzzyRobyn on Nov 6, 10 12:45 AM

Great adventure/frog/ihog. Clear graphics, cleverly hidden objects, neat mini-games. Highly recommended.

Hint: Make sure to check the journal for clues on what to do.....

LostForever
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by LostForever on Nov 6, 10 5:11 AM
Went back to play this game, game played fine yesterday, Today, I keep getting the" thanks for playing the dark priests" everytime I go back on to play this game. Have uninstalled and reinstalled, Same thing. Tried this and that same thing

I have been having trouble these past few months on couple of bf games. Play one game fine but cant play the other.

I talked with chat yesterday but all I got was chat - nothing else! and guess what? They are closed until Monday!

honeyg412
Clownfish
Clownfish
985 Posts

[Post New]by honeyg412 on Nov 6, 10 8:12 AM
shadowfax44 wrote:It is finally here - I am happy and I can finally quit talking about this game and play!

ETA: I am not disappointed - this is fantastic fun and beautifully done.

My only critique of this game: In the woodshop when you get the saddle parts and put the saddle on the wooden horse, the saddle is on there backwards! Hardly a game stopper, right? lol Perhaps there are people out there who would rather ride a horse backwards to see where they have just been? Who am I to judge.

Hey girl - LOL I always ride backwards so I can see who's following I agree with you - this game is sooooo fantastic. After a semi-dry spell for great games (we're so spoiled by the best games) this one will be the pick-me-up that I've needed. Can you imagine it isn't a CE??? Thanks BFG - you came along just in time to save some of your customers...

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Nov 6, 10 9:21 AM
Great game! Do buy this one. IT's long, multi-faceted, diffferent kid of HOG game...in fact when you do find a hog section it s a relief on your brain. There are fractioned ated parts, parts that belong in >>>>um, what scene was that?..it goes on and on. I spent many hours on this one..at least 2 days to the point that the family was getting irritated.
Graphics are nice..not photo realistic but pretty clear and your eyes won't burn with the staring. You do get a break with a nice hint system. And funny thing, you start to "care" about the characters that are frozen all over the place. I won't tell you the end but the music at the end cracked me up.
Well done Dev!
Chris

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Nov 6, 10 10:05 AM
This ranks right near the top on my list of HOG/adventure/interactive/inventory-based games! I'm not familiar with the first Mystery Age game, but I bet it doesn't compare to this one. The opening intro is great, if a bit long-winded; you'll see it again every time you load where you left off, but thankfully, there's a "Skip" button. The opening menu gives the good choices, including custom vs. system cursor (custom worked fine). The graphics are like classic paintings--the colors are vibrant, the landscaping is as Nature would have intended, and every scene which I've enjoyed so far (about an hour into it) made me just sit back and soak it in. The musical background fits the settings on the money--keep the speakers on, but maybe toned down just a bit. The items you collect in inventory make perfect sense and are always useful (no "excess baggage" here).

While the storyline is a bit dark (tracking down minions (priests) of the Chaos God), the overall atmosphere is uplifting and pleasing to the eyes and ears. I wish I could shed some light on game length, but I know that I've just begun and there must be hours to go. This is a keeper and 5 stars!

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Nov 6, 10 11:23 AM
wow! after being slightly disappointed with the first game [imperial staff], i have to say that i am liking this one much better...

one thing that stands out is the mystical lightning that indicates the hidden object scenes - have to say that i really like this and prefer it to the usual [and invasive] "sparkles"... so much nicer - kudos!

another improvement is the switch-up with IHOG/FROG mix and additional puzzles... it adds to the game's adventure element and makes it overall more enjoyable because there's something different around every corner...

and the graphics - wow! you can really tell that this developer has grown and has made great strides towards a whole new aesthetic... and the music is pretty good, too, which i really appreciate in this kind of game... saving a village from the dark forces of chaos needs to feel enlightened, empowered, and driven... not stuck in an elevator on the way to the dentist

with the positive changes and positive attitude in the game itself, i would gladly recommend this game to anyone!

happy gaming

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on Nov 6, 10 11:42 AM
Awesome game, I loved it! Sorry I finished, but I couldn't stop playing! Gorgeous graphics, great hint system, lots of interesting stuff to do. Kudos to the developers!

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Nov 6, 10 12:40 PM
One of the best games I've played in quite a while. Also, the first one I ever bought without trying first. The reviews were so fantastic, I knew I wouldn't be disappointed. And I'm not. The graphics are great. The hidden object scenes are not too easy, not too hard. I find I don't have to resort to the walkthrough too many times; I just go from scene to scene and I can usually figure out what to do next. The music doesn't bother me - I'm so engrossed in the game I don't even hear it! I really feel I'm getting my money's worth on this one. Well, I just took a break to write this (I've been playing for 3 hours and don't want to stop). This is definitely

calamari7
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

[Post New]by calamari7 on Nov 6, 10 1:56 PM
I had played the previous game [Mystery Age: Imperial Staff], so I was fairly sure I would enjoy this one, and I did! This is a long game that plays like a CE with all kinds of nooks and crannies to explore.....village, cottages, caverns, ice, raging inferno, a river to negotiate in a boat, and a chasm to ride across in a pulley sling..........what's not to love.. The artwork/graphics are stunning with a good storyline that has a nice rhythm to it [never needed the walkthrough]; it is a combination of FROG and HOG in a good porportion for me since I favor HOGs. The puzzles are doable [or skipable, if you wish] I highly recommend this wonderful game for hours of fun! +1/2 *smack

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Nov 6, 10 4:13 PM
Mystery Age: The Dark Priests (Adventure/FROG, which morphs to IHOG)

*Disclaimer: I own the first Mystery Age game (Imperial Staff), but have only played the demo of it thus far, so I can't make comparisons!

Entering the game takes you right to a cut-scene, which is skippable (though you can't click through it) and replayable. The game takes place 30 years after the first game.

First Impression: What a beautiful intro screen! Rich colors in a lush forest, just lovely... I was tempted to make a wallpaper out of it, but decided I didn't want the buttons (don't feel like editing them out :p)

Options include sound effects, music, full-screen and custom cursor. You can also access the credits from the options screen.

There is no mis-click penalty; HINTS are refillable

There is an optional tutorial, which I skipped.

The first screen is very simple, with only two bits of interaction, but sets the tone for the game. Dark Priests starts out as an Adventure-esque FROG, with both typical adventure movements/interaction and fragmented object scenes with the items you need to find pictured at the bottom of the screen.

A small gripe is that when you put together an item and USE it (it goes to your inventory once complete), the developers apparently really want you to notice what's been hidden (wherever) for it will flash for a few seconds before you are able to take whatever-it-is. I'd have liked to be able to click it right away, but it's not a source of frustration... just my impatience shining through. lol~

At this point I must take a break so that I can go purchase the game...

OK, that's done

Those who follow my game reviews know that I am not a huge fan of FROG's, but this game is beautiful, compelling... The only other game I can compare it to is Curse of the Briar Rose. And I'm only 20 minutes into the game!

Fragmented objects are not the usual "just click on anything that looks out-of-place", but are well-hidden in the scene without being impossible to find. Nothing is jarringly out-of-place or out-of-time, which I really love.

I do wish there was a no-sparkles option, but at least the sparklies are not blatant.

(continued...)

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Nov 6, 10 4:16 PM
(...continued)

I remember that the first game was a FROG, but this is more. This is an adventure. It is very straightforward at first, but that doesn't last for long. Soon you'll be wondering which way to go and what you're supposed to do, but there's nothing frustrating about this game. It all makes sense and is linear enough that you can figure it all out on your own. Like any good adventure game, there are things you'll need to remember and places you'll have to revisit. There is no map, but the graphics are so lovely, who cares?

You have a journal to help you keep track of the story and important points, but it doesn't give you unsolicited hints (something else I appreciate!).

The graphics are stunning, the music is environmental, and the developers added in a little something extra in every scene - small animals you can interact with that are not actually part of the story. A "click on the X and watch it X in response" type of thing. Little things that say, "This game is something special."

I highly, highly recommend trying this game, whether you are an IHOG-lover or FROG-lover... and since I'm told this game becomes an IHOG later on, IHOG/FROG-lovers especially should try this out!

And now, I return you to your regularly-scheduled reviews, and *I* return to this amazing game!

EDIT #2: Now that I have played the game for a while I see that the game does, indeed, become an IHOG (find items on a list). However, the game later goes back and forth between IHOG and FROG.

This really is an excellent game!

Edited on 11/06/2010 at 7:47:41 PM PST

padres
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by padres on Nov 6, 10 4:26 PM
I just completed this game and it is definitely one of the best I've ever played. Very long. Great variety. Yes, a lot of going back and forth and you return to many HOGs over and over. But it was all worthwhile. You actually feel that you are helping to solve the mystery and save the village. Well done!

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Nov 6, 10 5:04 PM
Thank you for your review, padres! Short, concise reviews such as yours are just as valuable as long, rambling ones like mine - not everyone wants to read a novel, they just wanna know if they'll like it

Thank you very much!

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Nov 6, 10 5:46 PM
Another great game. And....you don't have to pay $13.99 for it as well. It is not a collector's item, but a very good game. And it is a great value for the money because it is long. The puzzles are great. Not an excessive amount of hidden object screens. Requires some thinking as to where to use the inventory items. Very enjoyable

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Nov 6, 10 9:01 PM
I must have been tired last night when I first played this as I was going to write that I didn't like the game and I wasn't going to buy it. However, after reading the positive (for the game) reviews on here, I thought I would give it another go...and I just bought it!

I like the multiple tasks that you need to do to advance and the different mini games mixed in. I also like how interactive it is, even when 'poking' an animal to make it move and the fact you move around different areas completing different tasks and then need to remember what area you need for what tool to succeed.

Go to: