Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Downtown Secrets

[Post New]by slinkysmom on Nov 8, 10 1:58 PM
CasualGran wrote:
govegril wrote:
CasualGran wrote:
Isn't anybody else bothered by the windowed screen of this game?

Hi Casual Gran

Go into options and toggle the widow/fulll screen setting - or just hit Alt-Enter!

Thanks very much for trying to help me But unfortunately 'full screen' in the options menu produces windowed screen on my LCD monitor. Alt-Enter doesn't work either. Oh well.... maybe it's got to do with my system. I use Windows 7 64 bit and as it seems some games aren't made for that.

Hi Gran
I too run windows 7 64 bit and had your problem for quite awhile......there is a help section here on BFG which tells you how to fix the problem. There are also additional help avail at Windows site for games in Windows 7 64 bit.
When I open game and it has the borders and options say full screen.......I often have had to unclick that option and it goes full screen. This has been the case since I modified screen resolution on puter manually. The recommended resolution is avail in help section here on BFG. If this is a bit confusing, send a ticket to help desk here and they may be able to help you step by step. I sometimes do not explain things well. Hope this helps Gran, cause until I could get this to work right was so so frustrating on games.

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Nov 8, 10 2:26 PM
demo'd it, read reviews, bought it with coupon. liked it, not exactly my favorite game, but playable. waiting for the next MCF to come out, they get me and always come up with something very satisfyingly dark and challenging...

Jinnare
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Jinnare on Nov 8, 10 11:38 PM
GoofyDuck, thanks so much for your great, detailed review of the game. I just finished the demo, and I know I'll be buying this one.

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Nov 9, 10 12:21 AM
CasualGran wrote:
Isn't anybody else bothered by the windowed screen of this game?

Yes. I play on a 15" laptop and with the scene being windowed, the HOs were just to small. I lasted less than 10 minutes.

Also the program cursor made the game so sluggish I had to go to Options and change to the system cursor.

Pat

Edited on 11/09/2010 at 12:24:12 AM PST

MauLoa
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by MauLoa on Nov 9, 10 5:55 AM
not even left first scene before i got bored......that'll teach me to buy a game without playin the demo

ingram02
Starfish
Starfish
59 Posts

[Post New]by ingram02 on Nov 10, 10 8:57 PM
Liked the gameplay; actually read the story clear through (didn't skip, as I normally would), as I found it interesting. BUT...definitely not worth the $6.99, as it was way too short, and had an abrupt ending. Save your game credit for a longer game; wait for this one to come out at $2.99.

As for the comments regarding the black bars, objects too small: I have a 22 inch screen, have never had a problem with the black bars. I liked that every item seemed to fit into the context of the scene rather than having a pinecone blended into the wallpaper, or a gigantic ladybug on a dotted pillow. The objects are small, but much better than having huge objects glaring you in the face, in my opinion.

All in all, an interesting game, just not long enough.

[Post New]by SOTMSNRY on Nov 12, 10 10:39 AM
Was getting into the game it froze, then crashed twice. Not to mention it killed my computer and had to replace video card. Maybe these games should tested first before offering for download as they are potentially dangerous for you computer. On the flip side this has never happend to me before this game. DO NOT DOWNLOAD if you value your computer.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Nov 13, 10 9:41 AM
.I like this one quite a bit--viewed maybe 15 minutes of the demo and decided that I'd go for another punch on my BFG punch card. Bring your patience for the load time--kinda like waiting for paint to dry. Other than that though, I can't really find any glaring negatives. The opening menu has all the options (including game vs. system cursor--game one was a bit sluggish, so I chose the system one). Graphics are well done--pretty sharp, pretty detailed (although some scenes are just a tad on the dark side--no drawback though). Hidden objects aren't always in plain sight--you'll need to "cursor" around to see a "hand" for a close-up and then some items on the list. I particularly liked the hint system--instead of simply highlighting an item, it points out a location for you to examine. No voice acting, but the scripting and subtitles fit the storyline well and aren't too burdensome to read. The musical background is on the Jazzy side--I turned down the volume--it's OK, but some folks might want to turn it off completely. This is a good "Noir" style mystery, with a guy trying to aid his ex-girlfriend who's been accused of murder. Seems like a fun way to spend a few hours.

P.S. Played about an hour into it--only one negative now--if you choose "Menu" and "Exit," you're told (and I paraphrase here) "If you exit now, you'll lose all progress on the current level." I thought "You mean I have to start over?" No--next time I loaded, the game came back to where I was. I think that if you exit half-way through a hidden-object scene, you may have to repeat that whole scene again.

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Nov 13, 10 6:49 PM
Downtown Secrets (HOG w/light interaction)

Options include Custom Cursor, Music, Sound effects, Windowed or Full-screen (no wide-screen option) and Show Tooltips.

Exiting a scene will cause you to lose your level progress, so choose your exit point(s) wisely!

The story is interesting, beginning with a SKIPPABLE cut-scene that you can also click through at your own pace.

HINTS are refillable, and there is no mis-click penalty. The hint themselves are given as pictures - in other words, an approximate area to look. They work quite well, actually.

MINI-GAMES are pertinent to the story and are also SKIPPABLE. "Mini" is a good description. There is some very light interaction during the hidden object scenes, and the mini-games are not difficult... at least not yet

There are ZOOM-in areas of hidden object scenes, which adds to the difficulty, as you never know which part you need to look in to find the items. The hidden objects list does not have its own toolbar at the top or bottom of the screen. Instead you have a PDA-kind of device that shows up to six items-to-find at a time. The PDA also serves as your task list.

There are some beautiful graphics in this game. The hidden objects are appropriately placed, yet not easy to find, and that artwork is pretty nice. The second cut-scene of the game, though... It shows a man going up in a glass elevator at night, and it is just beautifully done! The reflections, the moon shining on the clouds, the differing perspective as you rise through the city... Just lovely.

The HOG scenes are a bit darker than I'd like. This game would've really benefited from a brightness control option, but it's not so dark you can't find anything.

I have finished 3 levels in 45 minutes, but I can't give you an idea of the length of this game, as I don't know how many levels there are. There's not a lot of in-your-face story in this game, and yet I find the it intriguing and would like to see what happens next. This is a straight-HOG, so be sure to demo the game before purchasing!

lizkgames
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by lizkgames on Nov 14, 10 11:04 PM
Well, I got the game and I played it to the end.
My biggest complaint is when you use the ring to find the "missing" stuff, sometimes that missing stuff doesn't show up until I hit the hint button.
And some of the hidden objects - it was hard to see the objects.
I don't mind having to work to find the objects, or solve a puzzle, but I even though I worked, I couldn't find or solve.
Glad I didn't spend money on it, almost sorry I used a coupon to get it.

togood2be
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

To dark

[Post New]by togood2be on Nov 15, 10 9:23 PM
I liked this game, but it is far too dark for me to play. Unfortunately I will have to pass because of it. I used more hints than I should have.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Nov 20, 10 10:16 AM
I just finally played this game and I liked it! I see some other posters complained about grainy graphics and objects that are too small - I didn't notice any of this when I played. The graphics were quite good and I didn't have any problems with the HOG scenes at all, in any respect. It is probably a game of moderate length for many players, but it lasted me at least several hours - I am no speedy player by any means.
The ONLY objection I had to anything in the game was that if you missed any dialog, you could not replay the dialog, so I missed a bit of the story, but the next time I play this game, I will try to do so during a time when I am less likely to encounter outside distractions. In summary, a good game, with good game play (and a couple of unique angles to the standard HOG game), an interesting story and a decent length. I will play it again sometime down the road.

henibri
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by henibri on Nov 21, 10 8:43 PM
I thought the game was ok but it was way too short for my taste. Graphics are good and I was able to follow the story line. I wish I would of used a game coupon to get this game. I wasted a credit on it and solved it way too quickly. I hate when that happens.

Edited on 11/21/2010 at 8:44:18 PM PST

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Nov 22, 10 10:04 AM
Good game, BUT.... TOO SHORT! Yes, the story is interesting, graphics beautiful, and the cutscenes superb, but I was able to finish the game EASILY in less then two hours! RIP OFF! Games this short, should be sold for only $2.99. I wasted my money on this one.

Sorry, I refuse to give a more lengthy review... too peeved right now, besides, others already did that, and I for one, don't have time every day to give such lengthy games reviews. I usually just cut to the chase in what I feel is most pertinent. My life is too busy and filled for anything more (let alone play games every day). Glad others have more time to do that for us. When I do have time for a game, I want it to last a good length of time. I also have something to go back to, if I don't have time to play it through on one go.

Unfortunately, not too many early reviews spoke much about the length of this game at the time I purchased it, which I am very surprised. I've seen people beef over more trivial matters. I guess this is why I don't bank too much on 'subjective' opinionated reviews. Sometimes they help, but in this case NOT. The demo seemed great, so I purchased. My mistake. Oh well... you win some and lose some. In this case I lost. I fell for sucker.

Edited on 11/22/2010 at 10:31:34 AM PST

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Dec 6, 10 6:49 AM
I thought I would enjoy this game due to the mystery story and nice graphics - usually I like these simpler types of games occasionally, especially with the detective theme. However, this one fell short on several levels. There were some things about it that just did not make it very engaging. Although it was pretty much a straight hidden object game, the searches were a bit awkward with the hidden zones you had to go back and forth between - and many objects were just too small and hard to find. A few puzzles and interactions were thrown in, but these were not very smoothly integrated somehow - they were just a type of exercise, as you were told exactly what to do for the most part. The story also seemed disjointed and the characters were pretty flat. I think one element seriously lacking was voiceovers which would have added to the atmosphere. It was short too, but I have to say I wasn't sorry to see it end. Although the character graphics and cut scenes were really well done, other similar games have done a much better job overall in terms of smooth gameplay, interactive elements, and interesting stories.

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Jan 10, 11 3:52 AM
How could anyone say these were good graphics? Some of the worst I've seen. Bad hints and crash, crash, crash! Played for about 10 min. but am told I only have 13 min. left. That's ok, wouldn't take it for free.

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Jan 21, 11 9:43 PM
The graphics are well done. The gameplay is IHOG with HOG. The storyline is involved and draws you in. I was surprised and annoyed when the trial was over.

This game is an A-.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Feb 5, 11 7:08 PM
It's not Shakespeare but no one is looking for their grandpa on an archeology dig here and there's no spooky mansion so its a big relief for those of us who would like a break from all that.

The story is almost a spoof of those old noire gumshoe/spy movies with lines like "she snuffed me out like an old cigarette".

There is alot of dialogue. I like dialogue and a story so I'm pretty satisfied with my purchase of this game and I appreciate the effort the devs put into the detailed graphics along with a different sort of game story.

Thanks devs!

Edited on 02/05/2011 at 7:47:29 PM PST

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Jun 28, 11 4:24 PM
I don't know how I missed this game when it came out but am glad I found it now. The demo hour flew by.
I found the graphics fantastic and realistic. A great mystery story for those who like solving crimes as I do.
It's a very fast paced hidden object with great and unusual mini games. The items you have to find are not only just in the scenes but you have to find in and zoom in on certain areas that also contain part of the list. The objects to find keep with the story for the most part. Not just some random object thrown in. In other reviews I read that some found the objects to small and hard to find. I disagree with that.
With no walkthrough I have no way of knowing how long the game is and that is usually a problem for me. Previous reviews are mixed in opinion so I will check other sites to try and find a walk through for length.
I really would like to find out how the story ends so I may buy with out finding a walkthrough.

Badgerrrt
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by Badgerrrt on Jul 4, 11 4:49 PM
This game was fun! Not at all hard, it has that detective noir, city-at-night-feel to it .The story line is simple and the characters are, too. No prob telling the good guys from the bad. Good does prevail over bad and love conquers all. I liked it!
I played it from start to finish in 3 hrs - short but fun. Hope I can find some more like this.

Go to: