Shastanna
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles

[Post New]by Shastanna on Nov 11, 10 4:09 PM
Thank you for all the great reviews!! This was by far my most favorite Sherlock Holmes story when I was a kid, I am totally excited!

OFF TOPIC:

It's Veterans Day, so thank you, all you veterans out there. I appreciate your service. Hugs and smooches!!

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles

[Post New]by ember89 on Nov 11, 10 4:24 PM
so... i have to say that i am a bit mixed about things here...

i like frogwares and i'm happy with their work, but i'm feeling like somebody hit the brakes and said we have to make this game as highly accessible to the common folk as possible... and so it feels like an everyday IHOG rather than a Holmes IHOG...

i'm happy that holmes and watson still sound like holmes and watson; they even look almost like holmes and watson... but the overall feel of the game is one of any other mysterious, gloomy house in need of a good exorcism - it may look nice on paper, but the brains took the downtown train and never got off... in fact, i'm quite certain that holmes would never have batted an eye if this were the true query placed before him...

i came away from my 30 minute dip feeling like someone had played Princess Isabella: A Witch's Curse and thought they could use it to make a sherlock holmes game if they only tweaked it a little...

is this game worth going CE? probably not... the strategy guide might be good for those who will use it and who doesn't love a good trophy case, right? but seriously, i'm not really in love with the game itself right now, so i'm definitely not in the mood to pay the CE price just for a little extra play time...

sorry to say that this one is a bit of a disappointment for me - i was just expecting a bit more, i guess...

mmemubon
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by mmemubon on Nov 11, 10 4:40 PM
The CE games are getting better and better, this is another very good one, I will buy less things and have more fun with the games. Thank you for those who make it and BF too.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Sherlock Holmes: The Hound of the Baskervilles

[Post New]by ember89 on Nov 11, 10 4:45 PM
HoudiniCats wrote:Much too easy even in "difficult mode." Compared to other Frogware Sherlock Holmes games (e.g. The Awakening, The Silver Earing) this was, for me, a disappoinment since instead of focusing on the adventure they decided to try to appeal to less sophisticated gamers with the hidden object aspect...

The afore mentioned Holmes games are a much better value: they provide a lot more challenge and intrigue and don't pose as collector's editions with heftier price tags.

Holmes and Watson are delightful, but the voice actor who plays Henry Baskerville is sub-par.

Aside:... but if I purchase a game I think is very worthwhile (at the game club price) for a friend as a gift why doesn't it count towards my punch card?

kudos, houdinicats - my thoughts as well!

as far as "gift this game" goes...

when you gift a game to a friend, you are actually purchasing a game credit and recommending that your friend use it purchase this game... not actually purchasing the game itself and then giving it away...

no game purchase, no reward punch -

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Nov 11, 10 4:52 PM
I played the trial of this game and so far, I love it. It isn't too hard-just right for me. I want to buy it but before I make a final decision, can anyone tell me if there are any references to the occult in the game? I know some people like games of that nature and it doesn't bother them and that's fine but, personally, for me I am uncomfortable with any occult type things. Thanks!

HolyCarp
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

most excellent game

[Post New]by HolyCarp on Nov 11, 10 5:35 PM
i am really enjoying this.....it's been quite a bit since I have liked so many aspects of a game.
clear graphics
some time puzzling mini games
not a whole lot of running around

YIPPPPEEEEEE!

agedog1
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by agedog1 on Nov 11, 10 6:12 PM
goofyduck77 wrote:Speaking of credits, not to be OT, but has anybody heard anything from anybody as to whether BFG is considering allowing people to use GC's and PCC's for CE's? (Now there's an acronym-ridden sentence . . . )

O.K. am completely lost what is an iHOG, GC's, PCC's & CE's Sorry I don't know this lingo but am willing to learn.

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on Nov 11, 10 9:21 PM
Itsupikachu wrote:I played the trial of this game and so far, I love it. It isn't too hard-just right for me. I want to buy it but before I make a final decision, can anyone tell me if there are any references to the occult in the game? I know some people like games of that nature and it doesn't bother them and that's fine but, personally, for me I am uncomfortable with any occult type things.
Thanks!

References to devil, runes,spells,murder,witchcraft(not the entire story, just mention of)

togood2be
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by togood2be on Nov 11, 10 9:33 PM
15 minutes into demo, this is a definate buy for me. I particularily like the gamma option. I find the games these days way too dark, I think my monitor is going, so this is a great feature.
A bit more chatter than I like, but the quality of the overall game almost makes me forget about the chatter.
Off to play.. have fun all!

Dianneamyte
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Dianneamyte on Nov 11, 10 9:46 PM
I have played the 1hr. demo and loved the game. The atmosphere is great, ( I'm a fan of the darker games) and the graphics are really interesting.

This is a really interesting IHOG of (to me) a medium level. My game preference is RPGs which can be really stressful. I enjoy a good challenge but, at times, want to play a game that is just plain fun which, is what this game is

This is a great game for someone who wants to go a little beyond easy and step up their game. We need all levels available for us to play

This is a buy for me..

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Nov 11, 10 11:52 PM
HoudiniCats wrote:Much too easy even in "difficult mode." Compared to other Frogware Sherlock Holmes games (e.g. The Awakening, The Silver Earing) this was, for me, a disappoinment since instead of focusing on the adventure they decided to try to appeal to less sophisticated gamers with the hidden object aspect. I garnered so many awards in 45 minutes (and I'm not a quick study when it comes to games) that it was absurd. Also, with the extra time I had, (15 minutes or more) I checked out the easy mode and the puzzles were exactly the same (at least as far as the 1 hour demo went).

Less sophisticated gamers?!?!?

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Nov 11, 10 11:57 PM
This isn't a review (and I might come across hypocritical), but I feel the need to address a couple of opinions expressed earlier. First of all, this is a great game, and the developers should be justifiably proud of their product--the literary license, the extras (yes, trophy case included), the strategy guide, and the voice acting DO make this a worthy CE. I don't believe for a minute that this game was designed for "less sophisticated gamers" or the "common folk," but for fans of downright, good HOGs/Adventures. Now here comes the hypocrisy--I think it's demeaning on the part of a few reviewers to air viewpoints on other posters rather than on the game itself. Go CasualGran and goofyduck77--you rock!

(YAY gamergirl675--we're on the same wavelength!) (And lilTweet7--same team!)

Edited on 11/12/2010 at 12:03:34 AM PST

ScaniX
Clownfish
Clownfish
596 Posts

[Post New]by ScaniX on Nov 12, 10 1:14 AM
I just played for a few minutes, but I like it already. The graphics are pretty good, the voices are nice and the story seems interesting.
What I found hilarious: I already got my first trophy on the first riddle: "You solved the puzzle in under a minute. Did you have time to breathe?"
^_^

I wanted to avoid buying a CE when possible, but those rewards are pretty cool, so I will buy this one.

Carolest
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by Carolest on Nov 12, 10 1:46 AM
Marissa707 wrote:Love it( so far)! Bought after 10 min. demo-play.

Anyway, talking about price: $17.49 incl. tax. Not really $13.99, is it?

So glad because this game has a gamma regulator, makes all the dark corners visible.

Happy Gaming to y'all.

I too get charged more, being in Australia, the exchange rate...and a confusing problem that even tho aud is equal to usd for some reason I have to pay more? Cannot understand that at all!

KelLew34
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by KelLew34 on Nov 12, 10 4:21 AM

jpo656
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by jpo656 on Nov 12, 10 6:17 AM
Fun and a little different, just what I need to reward myself after a long trying day. Thank you Goofy and Casual Gran for your great reviews

[Post New]by starznmiz on Nov 12, 10 6:34 AM
Haven't played the full version yet, but beta tested it a few months ago and really liked what I saw then. Judging from the reviews so far, this is another CE that I'm not gonna be able to resist. Looks like I'll be spending the weekend in London.

[Post New]by Bigfishette on Nov 12, 10 6:55 AM
Finsihed playing and found it to be a really awesome game. I really loved the variety of puzzles and the story. The hidden objects were of reasonable difficulty. Definitely worth the CE price. I found it to be a really long game because of figuring how everything went together. I did think that Sherlock's comments were annoying though especially at the beginning. Thanks BFG!!

[Post New]by ancientpeas on Nov 12, 10 7:11 AM
I liked the game a lot and reccommend it. Give it a try I say.

It is very different than the book and very different from Sir Conan Doyle's own personal anti magic and antimagic hysteria angle. He believed that science could explain all. I don't have any problem with the developers tweeking the story but I have the feel Conan Doyle would be raising an eyebrow over this adaptation.

Furthermore, I have played the other Sherlock Holmes games (the awakened, mystery of the mummy, Silver Earring, Lupin vs Holmes and am eager to play the Jack the Ripper story) and they are harder than your average adventure games. I often have to go to a guide mulitple times to figure out what to do next. And they are much harder than this game for sure. It's interesting to see people who are upset by what they see as the dumbing down of the series. I feel this is just different. Like with the agatha christie games: some are adventure games (murder on the orient express and evil under the sun) and some are IHOG (dead man's folly and peril at end house). Both have value and both are fun to play. I don't see why one kind of game precludes the other. Maybe people who love the adventure games like The Awakened and Lupin Vs. Holmes are worried that the developers will not make those kind of games anymore if the market for IHOGs is more lucrative. I hope not. The world is, surely, big enough for all kinds of games.

I wonder if BFG has ever considered spliting up the IHOGs and Adventure games. If I didn't like hidden object games but liked adventure games it might be useful to me to have a tab/page that distinguished the two.

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Nov 12, 10 8:09 AM
HoudiniCats wrote:Much too easy even in "difficult mode." Compared to other Frogware Sherlock Holmes games (e.g. The Awakening, The Silver Earing) this was, for me, a disappoinment since instead of focusing on the adventure they decided to try to appeal to less sophisticated gamers with the hidden object aspect. I garnered so many awards in 45 minutes (and I'm not a quick study when it comes to games) that it was absurd. Also, with the extra time I had, (15 minutes or more) I checked out the easy mode and the puzzles were exactly the same (at least as far as the 1 hour demo went).

I love hidden object games and I don't consider myself a "less sophisticated gamer." I also love adventure games, and the combination of the two in one game is heaven for me. I love this game - the graphics are beautiful, the story, while definitely not the original, is good, and the voiceovers are excellent. I'm playing in the "easy" mode and am finding it relatively easy, so maybe when I finish the demo and buy, I'll try the "hard" mode. Thanks again to all the fishies for the great reviews! Have a great weekend!

Go to: