Re:Your Comments And Reviews For Hidden Mysteries: Salem Secrets

[Post New]by tywrite on Nov 27, 10 10:42 PM
This was a great game but pretty hard as they go. Without the blogthrough I am not sure I could have finished it. A lot of jumping from place to place and then trying to remember how you got there. I hate it when I buy a game that turns out to be very short. This is a long and challenging game.....worth every penny!!!!

dreamlass
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by dreamlass on Nov 27, 10 11:10 PM
CasualGran wrote:My comments after playing half of the demo:

Don't know about this game... It looks so dark and depressing with all that brown and dark red. Maybe ment to add to the threatening atmosphere, but I don't like it, that's for sure.
You can skip all tutorials during the game, but it looks like the sparkles and lookingglass indications remain.
The objects aren't easy to find, having almost the same colours as the background.
Also, you quite often have to look for numbers of the same objects in a scene, and several objects are used in different scenes. Some objects have to be assembled by looking for the parts in different HOG scenes.
You're given a map, which shows you where you are, but hides the places you haven't been to yet. It's not interactive.
You can click on the tasks you have to perform, same page as in the journal.
Hints are unlimited, button refills in appr. 1 minute.
Seems to be no punishment for fast clicking, which is a plus.
The music is repetetive and annoys very soon, so I've muted it.
The story is one many people already know, but in this game the girls have gone missing too, so first you'll have to search for them, before you can begin the examination whether or not they're involved in witchy business.

It's not my cup of tea, this game , but if you like it:

Happy Gaming!

dreamlass
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by dreamlass on Nov 27, 10 11:12 PM
played this game i loved it very good graphics and sound kept me going didnt want to stop well worth paying the extra dollars. would rather these games than the collectors editions cause i dont need the extra album music and screensavers. go for it fishes its a 9/10 from me.

ziptzapt
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by ziptzapt on Nov 28, 10 12:56 AM
This game uses WAY TOO MANY different directions/paths to take at one time. It's improbable if not impossible to get any idea what's expected next without having the strategy guide open and followed word for word. This game is two thumbs down for me and I have deleted it from my inventory.

LEOTA26
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by LEOTA26 on Nov 28, 10 1:00 AM
I have seen a lot of negative remarks for this game. In fact I almost didn't even give it a try. Man am I glad that I did. Personally I thought it was great. The graphics were clear and it wasn't a c/e ( a big plus in by book). It took me forever to finish it, about 6 hours, and I did not use the walkthrough or forums for help although I did skip a few puzzles. Well worth the money and at the very least a try.

Myriade99
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

[Post New]by Myriade99 on Nov 28, 10 8:47 AM
I love the game. The subject is one that facinates me. I visited Salem this summer and read a book on the Witch Trial. I know graphic are dark (but the subject is, sadly, about one of the darkest period in your country's history), but the objects are well defined and easy to recognise once you find them. I think some of them are quite well hidden without beeing too difficult to find.
As for the minigame, I was working on the first one (the chest) when my trial time ran out. It seemed difficult as I'd been working at it for at least 5 minutes and wasn't anywhere near finding the solution.
I think it's the best game of the series (others were pretty boting for and I bought only Civil War). It's a definite buy (well in the wish list) for me.
Myriade (from Canada)

cagamenut
Guppy
Guppy
154 Posts

[Post New]by cagamenut on Nov 28, 10 8:52 AM
I thought I would really enjoy this game since I love stories about Salem and don't mind dark scenes. However, I quickly became bored, and, while this is probably just being picky, I don't like seeing objects that are not appropriate for the game era. Salem, in the 1600s, would not have had hamburgers! Developers need to watch what items they use for hidden objects. Not a buy for me

Your Comments And Reviews For Hidden Mysteries: Salem Secrets

[Post New]by anneni on Nov 28, 10 9:01 AM
I love this game Good grapfics, good music and very hard to solve. it´s a Buy for me

[Post New]by JayArDee on Nov 28, 10 1:36 PM
Just finished demo. I am so on the fence about this one.

Having so many anachronistic items really bothers me. I mean Electric Irons, Mail boxes, baseballs, sunglasses, crescent wrench, WWII style canteen, visor caps and the list goes on.

I wish the developers would think before inserting out-of-time items in HOG scenes. This simple thing really detracts from an otherwise great game experience.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Nov 28, 10 2:49 PM
Great game, I loved it! Relatively long if you persevere and figure everything out on your own. I did skip three mini games - they are really good minis and I will play them the next time around for sure!

If you like an IHOG game with really, really good HOG scenes - this game is for you. Great HOG scenes in fact, a lot of areas to explore in the game and a lot of tasks to complete. I really enjoyed it and the Devs have brought the Hidden Mysteries series up to date with this game. WTG!! I will be looking for the next game to come along.

Dianneamyte
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Dianneamyte on Nov 28, 10 6:07 PM
I remarked on this game a little earlier. I do not usually do 2 reviews on a game but after seeing so many different opinions I decided to make some more remarks on the game. The reviews, in the beginning, were mostly negative. The reviews about the 2nd half, at this point, were mostly good. I guess it just depends on your point of view and taste but, It seems to me, that this is just the type of game that those that like playing HOGs. IHOG's, FROG's and/or RPG's have been waiting for this month.

I thought the game was really right on. Everything was on target. The graphics, music, clarity of HOG's, story line, games, and atmosphere were all great. The map with sparkles denoting where the HOG's were is a great idea. The map was one of the easiest to follow that I have seen. The chart denoting tasks to be completed was a big help which, you could chose to use or not, depending on how much help you like to use, and made it just about unnecessary to use a WT. I did use it only once which, is unusual for me. I guess I am not the smartest lol. I would rather play the game this way than chose the option of easy or difficult levels. Also the length was great.

All in all, I just can not find a thing to complain about and am glad that I bought it.
I hope to see more of this seriews.

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Nov 28, 10 10:15 PM
Do not waste your money on this non-descript, forever clicking, bland items, small, hidden and so many HOGS in this game, there practially is NO game. You collect stuff forever but nothing works anywhere, no one around to talk to, nothing to do, but click click click,. Very bland, no colors, game. Do not buy this one. Even the free hour was tedious. Sorry BF, this one stinks,

quizzly
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by quizzly on Nov 29, 10 2:38 AM
I played this game twice already and liked it even better the second time since I did not get hopelessly stuck within the first ten minutes. The gameplay includes practically everything I like in these HOGs and I found the scenery beautifully drawn, even the colouring appealed to me because it just fit.

kpacoma
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by kpacoma on Nov 29, 10 4:50 AM
Terrible game! Grey, gloomy, unpleasant. Not interesting and boring. How can you make stupid game! I want a beautiful and interesting games! Do not buy it! I do not advise to play it.

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on Nov 29, 10 11:14 AM
I this game! It took me 2 days to complete and I skipped most puzzles but will play them when I replay the game in a few months. The graphics and storyline are the best! Many and to the developers and designers of this awesome game. I am looking forward to the next Hidden Mysteries game and hope it won't be long before we see it

Thank you Thank you Thank you!

Faylyn

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on Nov 29, 10 2:16 PM
This is one of those games that's just so-so for me. I could have overlooked how bored I was playing and the need to mute music but the real bugaboo for me... objects in scenes that are out of their time period. That just don't cut it for me so it'll be a no purchase at full price. Maybe one day if it's offered as DD.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Nov 29, 10 3:55 PM
I have bought all Hidden Mysteries games, but was a little bit unhappy with the last one (Vampire). This game is better - good graphics, good story, items are good to see. This is an good ihog, but not a great one. I will put it on my "games for later purchase".

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Nov 29, 10 4:04 PM
I like this game. Initially I was not enthralled, but after giving it a second chance, I ended up liking it alot. Hope more games like this one comes along.

Edited on 11/29/2010 at 4:05:54 PM PST

julie2753
Clownfish
Clownfish
542 Posts

[Post New]by julie2753 on Nov 29, 10 5:15 PM
Just finished the game and really enjoyed it, its quite a long game and well worth the money, the only gripe was some objects were hard to find because they were so small and some of the rooms were dark, but still a good game.

cme550
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by cme550 on Nov 30, 10 6:47 AM
I betaed this game and I didnt much like it then. I wasnt going to retry the game but decided to go ahead and go for it. I liked it much better this time around. I went through my full hour trial and that's unusual if I dont like the game.

I've always liked the Salem storylines, and I hadnt noticed a misclick pentalty. I will more than likely purchase this next week (that's two games I am going to purchase for the month of December already. December's punch card will go fast at this rate)

Edited on 11/30/2010 at 6:47:49 AM PST

Go to: