Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Mystery of the Dragon Prince

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 30, 10 1:35 PM
Poutoule wrote:SKIP BUTTON. If there was one in this game, it would have no interest at all. The idea, I guess, is to make you use your brain. Skip the mini games and what's left ?? Nothing, a skinny, short story. Mini games are THE point in this game, slightly different from the ones we're used to. It's worth a try and is quite fun.

Who is to say that mini games are automatically skipped just because there is a skip button? There are a couple of puzzles I have never been good at, and simply can´t do.
However, I always first try a puzzle, but if I can´t do it, and I can´t skip it, what then? If I want to progress in the game, I will have to do the puzzle or skip it, but if there is no skip button, I will not be able to do that. So what good is the game to me then?

It should be left to each fishie whether they want to skip the mini games and just continue with the ´short and skinny´story or not.

sleeplady
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by sleeplady on Nov 30, 10 1:41 PM
No Buy.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Nov 30, 10 3:24 PM
Short game and no skip button. Although the puzzles I've played so far are "no brainers" I still want the option to skip if I so choose. Too bad, I kinda, sorta liked this game and would have purchased.

lentenrose
Minnow
Minnow
286 Posts

[Post New]by lentenrose on Nov 30, 10 4:55 PM
I am surprised at the number of people who will not buy a game if you cannot skip a puzzle. There have been some terrific games that required you to solve the puzzles. Remember Mushroom Age, Madam Fate, Dream Chronicles, Drawn: The Painted Tower, and Return to Ravenhurst? If I remember correctly they did not have a skip, but they are classics.

Edited on 12/03/2010 at 3:33:03 PM PST

[Post New]by RowanGolightly on Nov 30, 10 9:22 PM
No thanks. Not buying this one. First, the no skip puzzle thing is a deal buster for me, second, I dislike the "rearrange the pipes" thing every time I see it and if I can't skip it, I'm done.

Nice scenery but pretty much a yawner on the story line; there was no background given to make one care whatsoever about the heroine, the family, the castle, the challenge or anything.

There gotta be better games out there than this one.

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Dec 1, 10 12:40 AM
meanbusiness wrote:This game looks like it was slapped together to just get something out there. Grainy graphics, very juvenile story line and infantile game play. After some of the beautiful and complex offerings recently, this appears to me as a first time effort. I think the developers need to go back to the drawing board and really work on perfecting their skills in the casual gaming arena.

Actually, this developer has put out some really great games, so I disagree. I am pointing this out because I don't want people to think Nevosoft is a bad game developer just because they might not like this game. They put out Mushroom Age, which is one of the most unusual and fun HOGs I have ever played, Vampirevillle, which is also a quirky HOG that a lot of people enjoy, and the Laura Jones games, which I thought were both great games.

So even if this game isn't your cup of tea, don't assume the developer sucks is the point I was trying to make. I demoed this game, and although I did not love it, I liked it enough to probably purchase it with one of my Dec. punch card credits. I like how it is non-linear and am interested to know what will happen with the story.

[Post New]by VeryBigFish on Dec 1, 10 5:52 AM
I found the story idea intriguing, but immediatley realized it was a "no buy" for me. Some of the reasons are already mentioned in this thread (especially no skip!)

But another reason:
I had all sound settings set as low as possible, yet I there was still sound from my actions, and background sound at certain locations. I find this extremely annoying, as there are times when I wish to play without sound. I'd find it less annoying if sound control was not even in the settings. BUT IF YOU MAKE IT AN OPTION IN THE SETTINGS, at least get the settings to WORK PROPERLY!

Plus....the game just had an "outdated" feel to it...best word I can think of to describe it...... very clunky. (mechanics, screen layout, graphics,etc...)

[Post New]by fishcrazy on Dec 1, 10 6:35 AM
I found this game very annoying. I did buy it, I have a ton of credits, and it was 2 AM, so I thought I would give it a whirl. The graphics are ok, not the greatest and there are some **** scenes that are hard to decipher what or where the objects are, but there is no click penalty, so I clicked randomly and found everything. Way too much dialogue in the beginning so I clicked rapidly to skip most of it and I may have missed something; I had no idea what I was supposed to do with the runes, and the hint button is a joke. The puzzles are very easy; maybe that is why there is no skip button. The game is also very short. After the 1-hour demo, if I had known I was over half way through the game, I would not have wasted a credit. My biggest pet peeve with the game was it is not 100% non-linear. Do not bill a game as non-linear, when you MUST get to a certain stage BEFORE you can pick things up that you see along the way (if you buy/try the game, you’ll know what I’m talking about). Just my opinion, but I will not buy another game from this developer (they are on my list).

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Dec 1, 10 6:40 AM
This is a really strange game! Don't really know how to comment At the beginning I felt like I was dropped in the middle of someones game. Like I had no connection. At first I thought "This is way to easy" but the more I played the more difficult it became. One thing I will say is you won't get bored but you will get frustrated. It feels kind of like four people put different pieces together to make this game. Kind of like you are playing many different games. Some Hidden Object scenes are very small screen and very simple some are large and difficult. Some mini's are incredibly easy and others very difficult. There is no skip button on the mini's. That is when I went to the walkthrough. Once again I may buy this down the road. Still undecided. I feel lost after this.

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Dec 1, 10 10:36 AM
I agree with bratzgram, it IS strange. The idea is really good, the execution however lacks totally. Unless you use the hint button in a HOG scene it does you no good at all. I'm not fond of wandering back and forth mindlessly and that's how I felt, a map of this place would have been really useful. I kept getting lost. Really frustrating. Some of the HOG scenes weren't too clear on the graphics part so it turned into a click fest.
The no skip button didn't bother me(so far) I managed to figure out all the minigames I came across. However I don't think I got very far into the game since I kept getting lost and had to check the WT.
And on top of that I don't think I could finish the game even if I wanted to - my yellow gem disappeared out of my inventory. And while we're at it: I had so much stuff in the inventory, it gets easy to lose oversight. Only by chance did I notice that the gem was gone.
So thanks, but no thanks.

eyesore
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by eyesore on Dec 1, 10 10:46 AM
Not a good one and not having a "skip" option is the least of its negatives. Slow and jerky movement. Also, inventory items tend to freeze.

suddensam
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by suddensam on Dec 1, 10 11:58 AM
This is a definite "no buy" for me. I thought it was very poorly done, in fact one of the worst HOGs I have ever played, and I have played almost all of them. I quit and deleted the game after the first 20 minutes. I always turn off sounds, yet in this game the sounds kept coming back, each room was diff, maybe some sound, maybe lots of sound, maybe no sound. The windows for the HOG scenes were terrible, scenes very dark, and objects very small. Hint button not working most the time. Why even put a game this bad out there? What a waste, they need to go back to the drawing board and do major improvements before I would even consider purchasing. I did like how the story was going, so go back to the story boards and re-do the game!

Pooh_Bah
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by Pooh_Bah on Dec 1, 10 4:39 PM
I liked the game. It was not too easy, but not so hard that I got frustrated. I had to resort to the walkthrough only once, to find the last three runes. A couple of the mini games I solved purely by luck. I'm thinking specifically of the N-S-E-W game. I never did figure out how to properly change the letters, but I hit on the right combination just by chance. The hint button was next to useless unless you were standing right on top of a clue or item. In the attic, once I had found everything, but was floundering around looking for something I might have missed, the hint kept directing me to the post on the right side, next to the chest of drawers where the gnome lived. But there was nothing there that had been overlooked. All in all I am glad I bought it although it was not nearly as well-crafted as a lot of other games I've played.

[Post New]by VeryBigFish on Dec 1, 10 7:42 PM
suddensam wrote:...I always turn off sounds, yet in this game the sounds kept coming back, each room was diff, maybe some sound, maybe lots of sound, maybe no sound...

Glad to know it wasn't just my machine! In the past, I've had a few other games that seem to "ignore" the fact that I've turned all sound down.. But I've never had a game that seemed to vary so much from room to room, when I have not changed the settings from my inital set up. I was starting to worry that my sound card was giving out on me. (The trials I've run on other games since "Dragon Prince" have had no sound issues at all.)

[Post New]by philanna3827 on Dec 2, 10 9:59 AM
I have to have a skip button!! No thanks!

Scottsteaux63
Minnow
Minnow
222 Posts

[Post New]by Scottsteaux63 on Dec 2, 10 12:06 PM
I am not at all sure whether I will get this game or not, even though I have two Game Club credits and it wouldn't cost anything.

For starters, the HOG scenes have dark spots where you simply have to click blindly (fortunately there is no click penalty) because as often as not there's something you need stuck in there.

Secondly, this game has some glitches when it comes to saving your progress. I shut the game down twice during the course of playing the Demo, and both times I had to re-do either a puzzle or a HOG, and if this is going to keep happening I doubt I shall want to waste a credit on it.

The hint takes much too long to recharge and the puzzles do not have a "skip" option. Also, darkness is a problem in at least one of the puzzles too: I couldn't see half of the pipes and it was just dumb luck that I managed to finish that puzzle.

It's a shame, too, because I like the concept and the graphics are pretty to look at. But really, BFG, when are you going to start monitoring your quality control issues a little better? Lately there have been far too many buggy games coming out of your site; it makes it hard to decide to buy or use a credit on a game when the bugs have not been worked out.

crofootski
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by crofootski on Dec 2, 10 1:44 PM
kris_cross48 wrote:not sure I'd buy that one again now that I did and played it. It was fairly short, I needed too much help from the walkthrough since the hint didn't help much at all. I hate using a walkthrough that much...I find I'm not gaming, just following directions.
But to get through the tunnels, the walkthrough is a must. Too bad .
- the plot line was thin, when it was over I looked at the characters and wondered...now why did this all happen? I was more into the castle than the plot I guess.
-graphics..a B-. Not great, but easy on the eyes.
-music> forgettable, nothing overly irritating or awesome
I guess in general, wait for this to become a DD. Then its a worth the money and save the big bucks for the BIG games.
kris

I must say I agree with pretty much everything kris_cross48 said. It was kind of enjoyable, except I also had to use the walkthru too much. Of course, I never go through these nonlinear games the way the walkthru does, so I had done some things before the w-t did, but that didn't pose any problem.

Some gripes: (1) the "settings" kept defaulting every time I exited and re-entered the game, so I had to turn the music off and the sound down over and over again; (2) the game seemed to forget that I had already picked up the "plank" in the attic and, when I hit the hint button there, it kept pointing to the place where the plank had been, and then I had to wait a full minute before I could use the hint again!

All in all, a game that is too short but fairly enjoyable. I also lost track of the end goal, so it was kind of like, "What, we're done?" when the game finally ended.

Definitely, not a full price purchase I would say.

[Post New]by mamacat2many on Dec 3, 10 4:15 PM
This game was AWESOME. Took me awhile to figure it out, not a easy game to figure out and the ending was great, wish it was longer. But still a great game.

Carole22759
Minnow
Minnow
288 Posts

[Post New]by Carole22759 on Dec 3, 10 10:38 PM
You guys are a riot!

I love reading an entire forum thread at once... It's as if you are all one great-big head/brain, thinking as one, but are continually in-disagreement with yourself.....
.....Hi-laaarious!

I'm ALWAYS guaranteed a chuckle or two before I submerge myself into a game.
** tee-hee** Thank You!

bstjnck
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by bstjnck on Dec 4, 10 8:51 AM
hey mamacat2 how did you get the second lever from the snake in the cave that has the 2 dragon heads shooting fire so you can stop it, thanks

Go to: