niya00
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Once Upon a Farm

[Post New]by niya00 on Jan 3, 11 7:10 AM
ahsten75 wrote:While I did not like the stereotyping of Mexicans (or Texans for that matter), my real problems were with the language and the navigation.

Language: I have the feeling the developers were Spanish speakers hence the "sheet" being a leaf -- a literal translation of "hoja" (leaf or sheet of paper) and the "tube" turning out to be a pipe -- "pipa" (tube or pipe). I think they used an electronic translator on this game.

Navigation: There were no real indications on what could be opened (cabinets, drawers) to look for more objects. You were limited as to what you could do and where you could go for no apparent reason, so when you're stuck, you have to go back through all the scenes to find if something is sparkling. The rewards obtained from the hidden object screens had nothing to do with what was in the scene and that threw me off quite a bit.

All in all, it was a game that still needs A LOT of work done to it.
Having used an electronic translator on this game is no excuse for BF offering it.

They claim to Beta test with members. Did this really get by them?? As for ever replacing a game because of member outrage, in 6 years I've never seen them do it. Generally give a sad attempt at pacifying. I truly believe BF has sold out to another group. This is NOT the quality the old timers have come to expect. Seems to have started about a year ago. Maybe they have finally gotten 'big' enough not to care anymore.

And back to the Mexican stereotypes, After living in different parts of Mexico for the last 28 years, I've never seen a Mexican dressed like that -- not even people from indigenous communities who wear typical clothing.

[Post New]by femalemeph on Jan 3, 11 7:26 AM
I'm adding my thumbs down for this game. I've only ever posted a couple of times when I've been really stuck and needed help, but this one really needs commenting on - and for Big Fish to actually take some notice.

The racial stereotyping is bad enough - although being English, it hits home a little less than others - but the standard of English and grammar is truly appalling. How much would it actually cost to get someone who speaks English as a first language to test the game before launching it on the public?? Bad grammar in the dialogue is irritating and happens in a lot of games, but to name things wrong in a list of items to find is unforgivable.

Lasted about 15 minutes before I quit the trial version and shall be deleting it immediately.

Very disappointing, BFG.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Jan 3, 11 7:27 AM
rainice wrote:After reading all the reviews and seeing how many people are upset by the seeming stereotypes and racial overtones, I am curious about something. Does anyone know if Bigfish has ever pulled a game off it's gamesight because of this kind of negative feedback?

They did pull a game sometime back. Sorry I can't remember
much about it. Something to do with teenage bad girls, I think.
Maybe someone else can fill it in.

Blabs
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by Blabs on Jan 3, 11 7:55 AM
Unfortunate game-command or use of english ridiculous- a leaf is NOT a sheet. Mexican stereotyping should not exist in a game in this day and age. I expected better from Big Fish who should be a game site for all people

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Jan 3, 11 8:00 AM
I remember them pulling the "bad girls" game but not the details. I was surprised to see that "once Upon a Farm" was not pulled... that tells me that

1. No one checks the content on games offered
2. No one reads the forums to see how we, the customers feel.
3. Beta testing is just a cheap way to advertise upcoming games.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Jan 3, 11 8:06 AM
just agreeing with the rest of the posts here, awful game, hideous music

[Post New]by JLR123 on Jan 3, 11 8:20 AM
I stopped playing as soon as I had to dress a Mexican! This seemed racist and stereotypical! Stupid!

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Jan 3, 11 8:34 AM
cherbtoo wrote:It took me a couple of minutes to download this game and then I sat here twiddling my thumbs waiting for the activation and waiting and waiting and waiting but we eventually got there and I sat down to have an hour's fun playing.

Well on the positive side ...

The hero is an attractive looking male who isn't looking for his grandfather.

The graphics are very good and clear to see.

On the negative side ...

You have to guess quite a lot what you are supposed to be looking for ... this reduced the probability of my buying the game by 10%.

I used the system cursor and found out via the very large satellite dish that followed your mouse everywhere that items could be hidden inside drawers and cupboards but ... when in a room that has several of these if you click on all of them (not fast clicking either ) what happens

THE CURSOR DOES A LOOP DE LOOP

Well this reduced the probability of me buying this game by a whopping 50% so take note developers your game has to be exceptional for me to buy it with the cursor doing that.

The final straw was ...

In the cowshed you had to find an axe, I couldn't see it so I used the hint and it took me out of the cowshed ... I couldn't see it there so went back into the cowshed and the list of items I had already found was there waiting for me to find them again! ... so I did ... used the hint for the axe and found myself outside the cowshed ... went back in found the items all over again!! except for the axe ... clicked the hint and ended up outside the cowshed yet again!!! ... still couldn't see the axe so went back in the cowshed and there was the list in pristine condition yet again. I refuse to keep playing the same scene any more .

At this point I lost the will to live and exited and deleted the game.

NO SALE

Cherb

Funniest review I've read in a long time! Thanks, Cherbtoo (I hope that I don't get stuck in the twilight zone of a cow shed!) Think I'll download, just to see if it's as bad as most people say! And, finally, I'm a guppy!

Gail

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by rainice on Jan 3, 11 9:02 AM
barbee44 wrote:I remember them pulling the "bad girls" game but not the details. I was surprised to see that "once Upon a Farm" was not pulled... that tells me that

1. No one checks the content on games offered
2. No one reads the forums to see how we, the customers feel.
3. Beta testing is just a cheap way to advertise upcoming games.
I agree with you totally. If anyone from Bigfish is reading this I challenge you to speak to the criticism this game has created.

jklinders
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by jklinders on Jan 3, 11 9:20 AM
Sad translation and item labeling is a deal breaker on it's own. Toss in a tar and feather reference to a black character who is peeping on a white girl and I am forced to see this as a bad attempt at parody.

Writing is pretty important in a game like this and between not knowing how to label an item(I mean c'mon tube for pipe?) and a ludicrous threat to throw a man (of any color) into Guantanamo for peeping it transcends parody and enters a the mystic realm of utter stupidity. No sale. This belongs on a rubbish heap.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jan 3, 11 9:48 AM
This isn`t a good hog! I really hate the "flipping cursor everytime after a false click". No buy for me today

aliceh
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by aliceh on Jan 3, 11 11:09 AM
Ridiculous! Bad interpretation & ie: a trophy called a bowl?! Your developers made the farmer a racist. Not a good thing. I will not buy.

[Post New]by mndoll on Jan 3, 11 11:56 AM
I don't usually post to these forums, but, I decieded that this game really deserved one. When I got to the forum, I realized that everyone already had the same view as I did. I agrees with all the remarks and deleted the game. It's a shame too, as it started out (the first min or so) to look interesting.

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Jan 3, 11 11:59 AM
An additional comment - I am gratified at the comments against the stereotypes and racism in this game. I do not think, as some of the reviewers here do, that these are just "lame" attempts at jokes. I'm reminded of a scene from the movie Gentlemen's Agreement, when Dorothy McGuire was asked what she did when an anti-semitic joke was told at a dinner table. She said she did nothing. And that is the problem - as long we continue to do nothing, these stereotypes and racist parodies will continue. Thank you, fishies, for standing up to them. And shame on you BFG, for selling this game.

Gail

Edited to correct grammar.

Edited on 01/03/2011 at 12:39:28 PM PST

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Jan 3, 11 1:28 PM
dark, I wasn't disagreeing with your statement on foreign gamers.... what I said was... You (meaning everyone) Can make excuses for them.... it's ok.... just not OK for BFG to let this one through.

Sorry if you think I was disagreeing with you. I wasn't. Just sort of adding to what you said.

Edited on 01/03/2011 at 1:29:28 PM PST

Kayen59
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by Kayen59 on Jan 3, 11 3:02 PM
I don't know if I am going to finish this game. Only played for 15 minutes and got a little annoyed with what they are calling some of the items. I did not know that a pipe was called a tube, or a leaf is a sheet. I would like to know what country this game was written in and what language. Not too thrilled with this one I give it 2 thumbs down. Sorry BFG.

angelfishsb
Minnow
Minnow
258 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishsb on Jan 3, 11 3:21 PM
BF you seem to have the same people complaining all the time. I would like to know how many people buy your games that don't complain. I bet anything that you have more people happy with your games than are unhappy. So keep up the good work. I am glad you offer so many HOG and IHOG games and that I am free to choose the ones I don't like and the ones I do like. The only problem I would have with a game is if it is not working and I have bought it. But, you take care of that too. So Happy New Year BF and thanks for giving us this sight.

Edited on 01/03/2011 at 3:22:34 PM PST

1unicorn
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by 1unicorn on Jan 3, 11 3:26 PM
Lost time in downloading, too slow, boring, do not like the racial thing either. Definitely wil NOT buy.

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Jan 3, 11 4:00 PM
angelfishsb wrote:BF you seem to have the same people complaining all the time. I would like to know how many people buy your games that don't complain. I bet anything that you have more people happy with your games than are unhappy. So keep up the good work. I am glad you offer so many HOG and IHOG games and that I am free to choose the ones I don't like and the ones I do like. The only problem I would have with a game is if it is not working and I have bought it. But, you take care of that too. So Happy New Year BF and thanks for giving us this sight.

Complaining? This forum is asking for comments and reviews. NOT: Good comments and Good reviews only. I love this forum because the people are honest and truthful.

I don't think we'd be doing Big Fish or the game developers any favors by not letting them know what we like and don't like honestly. It's people like the ones on this forum that drive the developers to greater things and better games for all of us. That's why they come here to read the comments. They can take the bad with the good and welcome it.

PS... and it isn't the same people complaining. So far everyone has given their honest opinions. I raved about the Awakening Games by BoomZap and other great games and so have others. I don't just come here when I hate a game, I come and rave about the good ones and so do the others.

Edited on 01/03/2011 at 4:05:12 PM PST

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Jan 3, 11 4:12 PM
barbee44 wrote:
angelfishsb wrote:BF you seem to have the same people complaining all the time. I would like to know how many people buy your games that don't complain. I bet anything that you have more people happy with your games than are unhappy. So keep up the good work. I am glad you offer so many HOG and IHOG games and that I am free to choose the ones I don't like and the ones I do like. The only problem I would have with a game is if it is not working and I have bought it. But, you take care of that too. So Happy New Year BF and thanks for giving us this sight.

Complaining? This forum is asking for comments and reviews. NOT: Good comments and Good reviews only. I love this forum because the people are honest and truthful.

I don't think we'd be doing Big Fish or the game developers any favors by not letting them know what we like and don't like honestly. It's people like the ones on this forum that drive the developers to greater things and better games for all of us. That's why they come here to read the comments. They can take the bad with the good and welcome it.

PS... and it isn't the same people complaining. So far everyone has given their honest opinions. I raved about the Awakening Games by BoomZap and other great games and so have others. I don't just come here when I hate a game, I come and rave about the good ones and so do the others.

Thank you, for a great response!

Go to: