LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Stroke of Midnight

[Post New]by LizzieK on Jan 21, 11 4:28 PM
I like the new and different way the hidden objects are listed within the scenes. I like the clues and tasks that are shown within the scene on the mirrors, doors or windows. The scenes are beautifully drawn and I was intrigued by the story.

I enjoyed the part I was able to play but the zooming and movement in the scenes was too much for me. I became nauseous fairly quickly when playing the game. I stopped and came back to it later and the same thing happened. Perhaps there should have been an option for the speed of the movement. I have seen that option in the 360 type games before. I would love to have completed the game.

I applaud the developer for creating so many innovative ways to change a hidden object game. It is too bad about the speed of the zooming! Perhaps it should have been beta tested on a broader audience.

Edited on 01/21/2011 at 4:29:58 PM PST

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Jan 21, 11 4:39 PM
MarkAlan wrote:It's too bad they're not giving this game a chance.
I didn't realize how many dizzy gamers there are out there.
I think people are giving this game a chance. The people who are posing here have played the demo and I think most are disappointed that the game's movements are making them sick. I wish that it had not made me sick because I like so many other aspects of the game.

Are you a member of the game development team?

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jan 21, 11 4:39 PM
I agree with the majority of the gamers.. It's a very different game and you really don't know what you are supposed to do or go? Won't be a buy for me, might buy it later when it's on special if I remember that long.

Koalanut
Marlin
Marlin
8,777 Posts

[Post New]by Koalanut on Jan 21, 11 4:39 PM
Very interesting way to play, it was a little bit of a challenge to get used to, as I am used to wandering around as I please in an adventure type game. The graphics and music were beautiful. I liked the hints on the hidden object part as I don't find objects so well. The hints on the mirror were really unique, I liked how that worked. And I liked how you found parts to puzzles around the scene and it wasn't just time to do another puzzle and here it is. The movement thing could be an issue, although it didn't bother me, I have played many 3-D adventure games. But it was like riding the "El" in Chicago down the hall, whhhooooossshhhhh. I am pretty intrigued by this game. According to the walkthrough I am only starting Chapter 3 and had 11 minutes on the demo.

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Jan 21, 11 5:20 PM
Well - what can I say! At the stroke of midnight I started to play "At the Stroke of Midnight" and I am well and truly hooked....I just love the graphics, and the waaaay it moooves......love it.....

I like the clues on the mirrors, and the 'ghostly figures' that keep appearing...

it's now 1.12 AM (UK time) and I'd better leave buying it until at least 10am (UK time) or I will NEVER go to bed....or I could just say what my kids used to say to me....

Awwww....Mum.....I not tired.....really I'm not...

Happy gaming to all of you who have still got the day ahead to play...and play..I'm jealous..extremely..

Nite - Kel

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Jan 21, 11 5:27 PM
I am in the "LOVED THE GAME" camp. fun, a bit of a challenge at first but gets easier when you figure out the hint system. It took me an hour to get almost thru 2 chapters too so it looks like it will be a 5 or 6 hour game YIPPEE! Definitely better than the CE game out this week! Thanks BFG!

Also Sorry to the folks who found this "dizzy-ing" Cleopatra yes, this game not at all for me so I am sorry to those of you who cant play!

bertiepuppy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by bertiepuppy on Jan 21, 11 5:28 PM
I am glad for those of you who like this game but after 35 minutes and being unable to actually get through the front door without having to go to a walkthrough a no buy for me.

NikkiNox
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by NikkiNox on Jan 21, 11 5:28 PM
Loved this game! I can't play the "seasick" games but never once had a problem with this one! It's different and I'm finding it to be a lot of fun. Never heard of the 7th Guest (thanks Mark Arlan) but I guess I should check that out. Love the Nikitova Games Logo too!

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jan 21, 11 5:31 PM
This is probably the most beautiful game I've ever seen, the stained glass hidden object scene actually made me "OOH!" in delight. I would LOVE to have some of the scenes for my computer wallpaper, they're that amazing.

Game play is fantastic, the plot is engrossing, the voice acting is very good... I can't think of a single thing I don't like about it. I even got goosebumps a couple of times.

I haven't read this entire thread but I caught some of the bit about the game making members dizzy? I can't imagine how you manage to watch movies then, this is exactly like a Steadicam that is used in most movies today. It's a shame, you're really missing out on an exceptional game.

Hoglvr
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by Hoglvr on Jan 21, 11 5:33 PM
Just played the demo, I really like this game, beautiful graphics and story, I did not find a problem with moving around the rooms, that was fun to do almost 360 of the rooms. However I did not like when ever I left a scene it returned to "Stroke of Midnight" screen. I have never seen that before, I would want to move my cursor to the next location, and not see the name of the game again. Must say though if this is the future of new games, bring it on,just stop going back to the "home screen" when new scene appears JMHO.

whebeck
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by whebeck on Jan 21, 11 5:57 PM
When I downloaded this game, my virus program stopped me and said it found a malicious trojan. I had to uninstall it.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Jan 21, 11 6:11 PM
I really liked this game. Great graphics and once in story it was pretty interesting.
Purchased game after demo, even tho I am stuck right now I think this game is a 4 out of 5.

Happy game day to all

MarkAlan
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by MarkAlan on Jan 21, 11 6:26 PM
LizzieK wrote:

I wish that I were. Though I used to test many games for Interplay Productions, many of which were 3D. So I was happy to see this aspect being adapted for the casual game market. Though surprised to notice the majority of complaints had to do with the 3D nature of the game. For me, that was what made it special. It was like being swept right through the screen into a different realm. I look for innovation in games. There are far too many titles that copy each other. I find it frustrating when a game gets criticized for being original. Kudos to Namco for daring to stray from the well-worn path of clones.

[Post New]by rainangel5301 on Jan 21, 11 6:46 PM
It may just be my computer, but it seems to take forever to load each scene change. The graphics are gorgeous, and I enjoy all the movement (no sea sickness here!), and the story seems pretty good. I just wish it moved more quickly on my computer! I only got to the scene right after the dance, as 1/4 of the time was spent loading scenes. Darn.

Safarri
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by Safarri on Jan 21, 11 7:17 PM
I am a big fan of different and this hits the mark. I have vertigo and thought the game may flare the dizziness but it didn't. Games with a rocking boat effect me more than this one did. I like the mirror clues and floating ghosts. Thanks developers, I'm impressed with the attention to detail. Thanks BF for gaming variety.

[Post New]by Coronagold on Jan 21, 11 7:44 PM
Beautiful camera work. Need more based on this design.

Edited on 01/21/2011 at 7:49:23 PM PST

Dianneamyte
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Dianneamyte on Jan 21, 11 7:48 PM
I just finished this game. It could have been wonderful. I am a rather slow player. I like to take my time and enjoy a game. The graphics were really wonderful. The storyline was great.
But, I finished this game in about 2 hours which is a record for me. The whole concept is great and gives us something really different to work with. I am just really disappointed in the length. I do hope that this concept is used again. The idea is great. As far as getting dizzy, I don't think that it moves around that much. There are games that are much more dizzying than this one. I have to wonder why we are asked if we want to download this game due to the length. Along game is one of things that I buy for. I am kind of puzzled.

xidcrikit
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by xidcrikit on Jan 21, 11 7:49 PM
I liked this game. not your usual hog & it has different types of puzzles. I think the graphics are pretty good. Did have to get use to using an object right away. Can't comment on the music because I turn it off. The movement, obviously from other comments, does make some people sick which is too bad. Will definitely buy this game.

Edited on 01/21/2011 at 7:50:49 PM PST

HoudiniCats
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by HoudiniCats on Jan 21, 11 8:21 PM
Really lush and beautiful to look at. While some 360 games do make me feel nauseated, this one doesn't. But I understand how off putting it can be--I've bought games (not at Big Fish) I ended up not being able to play.

I really like it, but wish it weren't so easy...still, I'll probably end up purchasing it beause I'm curious to see where it goes. I hope it gets a bit more challenging as one plays through it. (I still have 20 minutes left on the demo.)

I do wish they allowed more latitude for exploring--including letting items go into inventory so that the gamer could decide when or if to use an object.

It's too bad there aren't options on level of difficulty, turning sparkles on or off, etc.

Magnificent graphics and very atmospheric--props and kudos galore on that count.

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Jan 21, 11 8:25 PM
MarkAlan wrote:
LizzieK wrote:

I wish that I were. Though I used to test many games for Interplay Productions, many of which were 3D. So I was happy to see this aspect being adapted for the casual game market. Though surprised to notice the majority of complaints had to do with the 3D nature of the game. For me, that was what made it special. It was like being swept right through the screen into a different realm. I look for innovation in games. There are far too many titles that copy each other. I find it frustrating when a game gets criticized for being original. Kudos to Namco for daring to stray from the well-worn path of clones.

Amen! Well said, Mark, and I agree. I love it. There was a game a while back that sort of turned my stomach a bit... I think it was one of the HOGS in Paris or something. But this one is fine and I pan slowly. I like to play games slowly anyway.

Edited on 01/21/2011 at 8:57:36 PM PST

Go to: