QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Seekers: The Secret of the Haunted Mansion

[Post New]by QEIII on Mar 8, 11 9:48 AM
I hate arcade games - so this (apart from any other reason) makes this a definite not buy. I shot the ghosts ok but do not want to do any more, thank you very much .

I would surmise that most casual gamers like relaxed-type of games, so shoot 'em ups are completely the wrong type of game to insert into a HOG.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Seekers: The Secret of the Haunted Mansion

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Mar 8, 11 9:48 AM
I don`t like this game - the navigation in this game are pretty bad also the gameplay itself. Definete no buy for me

akaratcat
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by akaratcat on Mar 8, 11 10:01 AM
Tried game...didn't even make it to 5 minute mark..........I know we should give them a try,,,,but so bad couldn't take any more..........must agree,,,,bad games lately, oh well,

[Post New]by gamineannie on Mar 8, 11 10:02 AM
Ooookkkaayyy! Where to start? Downloaded in the very early morning and played about five minutes - did not like, but to be fair decided to try again just now.
Negatives: the ginormous, object-obscuring cursor, which CANNOT be changed. The antiquated game interactions - if you pick something up from the inventory, you have to click the check in a dropdown before you can use it. Serious penalties for using hints and skips. Lack of interesting story. Arcade-style shoot-em-ups.
Neutrals: the graphics, on my machine at least, were not so bad.
Positives: It uninstalls faster than the install.
But, as some fishies said, try it yourself. Apparently it is one of those love/hate things again.
I really HATE it, though.

9gamer5
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by 9gamer5 on Mar 8, 11 10:07 AM
Very boring after about 2 minutes. This is definitely a no buy.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Mar 8, 11 10:14 AM
I also thought it was a sequel.. but WRONG .. Too many things to find and not a game that is anywhere near what you think it should be.. Don't like it..

Edited on 03/08/2011 at 10:16:33 AM PST

catzzz666
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by catzzz666 on Mar 8, 11 10:20 AM
What a highly annoying game! I don't believe I've ever said that of a game before to-day. It feels so antiquated I'm wondering if they found this one in a garage sale . I lasted 20 minutes of finding locked everything *yawn*. You couldn't pay me to play this one.

[Post New]by girlfriday2450 on Mar 8, 11 10:23 AM
I agree with all the comments, this game sucked. I buy a lot of games but you really dropped the ball on this one. YUK!

dfringer
Clownfish
Clownfish
864 Posts

[Post New]by dfringer on Mar 8, 11 10:23 AM
dogmama said,
I've only played 15 minutes, but I don't believe it's a bad game. It is, however, a game for children. On the dev's website, it states that it is mainly for the 7-11 year olds. I'm surprised it was released here since the huge majority of players are adults.

deebeth said,
I had my 8-yr-old demo this game. I had to help her a little but she did most of it herself. Here's her review: She really liked it. She liked the hidden object scene because she was able to find most of the stuff. She enjoyed finding the gems. But she got frustrated at shooting the ghosts because they were too fast for her.

well there you go fishes, we're not in the right demographic to appreciate this game! I am not insulting those of you who like the game, as a matter of fact I'll confess right here in the pond that "I Spy Spooky Manor" is one of my guilty pleasures.

Stariannah
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by Stariannah on Mar 8, 11 10:26 AM
Well, I'm apparently one of the VERY few who actually ... well ... liked isn't the appropriate word, but I didn't hate it either. I agree that the 10-minute penalty for using a hint is just plain WRONG, and the 20-minute penalty for skipping is again just plain WRONG. The cursor didn't annoy me as much as it seemed to annoy other people, but I do agree that the cursor can be a pain. I didn't have a problem with my only choice for music was on or off because I always turn the music off/all the way down on every game I play because the music always irritates me to death. I also agree that the inventory system is stilted, and I absolutely detest arcade style shoot 'em ups, so shooting the ghosts sucked in my opinion.

However, I DID enjoy the adventure aspect of the game, of trying to figure out what goes where and how. I did NOT find the graphics blurry or the objects too small (and I'm legally blind, guys, so I'm wondering if the graphics might depend more on your computer than anything else). The first H0 scene was a little disorienting with the perspective being from above instead of straight on, but I didn't find that any of the objects were too small or blurry to see. (Except the flasks...spoiler: Flasks aren't flasks...they're canopic jars or sometimes Thermoses, but they're NOT flasks!). Some of the gems are easy to find, and some are pretty difficult, but lets be honest here...if everything were simple, we'd all be complaining that it's too easy.

All in all, though, I'm probably not going to buy this game right away. If/when it comes up as a DD or a Weekly Deal or something, then sure, I'll probably get it. But for now, I'll keep working on Azada, Syberia, and my black and white "pocket monsters" on my handheld system.

S

vickie39
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by vickie39 on Mar 8, 11 10:30 AM
WOW - what were they thinking? At the very least BFG should know by now we do not like these sub-par dev's and games. It's like a slap in the face from BFG if you ask me. Surely, people can't be buying this rubbish.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Mar 8, 11 11:04 AM
Crystalscove22 wrote:You can tell by my # of posts that I seldom comment, even though I've been a BF member for almost 2 years. I typically read the forums and keep my opinions to myself. This game however....oh geez!! Let me just say that I feel the best review and advise comes from the game itself - when in the first letter ; the writer "Edward' urges the reader to "turn back" and "go no further." I wish I had immediately followed that advise but against my better judgement - did not
I managed another 20 minutes or so of; clicking pop-up boxes ,finding locked doors, clicking pop-up boxes, redundent puzzles,clicking pop-up boxes, murky **** scenes & etc. (Oh...and did I mention clicking pop-up boxes??!!) How sad. Like many of you... I will go back to the archives in search of some 'jewel' I may have missed in past releases. Guess I will be 'mystery seeking' - no pun intended. Gotta rate this as an empty can of sardines.

Great post, you should do it more often.

bumblebea
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by bumblebea on Mar 8, 11 11:06 AM
CasualGran wrote:This, fishies, is a shame of a game. It has no story of any significance, it has a rediculous, object-hiding gamecursor plus blurry graphics, junkpile Hidden Object scenes you have to find too much objects in, and stupid minigames,

I wouldn't even play it for free.

[Post New]by ravenmad1992 on Mar 8, 11 11:08 AM
I have to agree with most people here this is a very bad game...Graphics are very poor, coloring very dark, and all around boring....I went back to the game 3 times just to see if it would get better but it only got worse...I hope the developers realize we would rather wait for a great game then get a very poor quality game fast...This is a no buy for me

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Mar 8, 11 11:12 AM
I used a punchcard credit and I'm still enjoying the game - the story develops slowly, but it does develop. No, it's not perfect - the controls should actually control things, not just turn them on and off, but I do have a volume control on my computer so I just adjusted that instead. I don't understand the complaints about fuzzy graphics and small objects, because the H0 scenes look fine to me (and I'm using dollar-store reading glasses that have seen better days), and I haven't had to use more than one hint yet on any scene, and I've been through the entire downstairs (except the room in the right wing) and all the upstairs rooms in the two hours or so that I've been playing. I can't tell how far along I am, but I'd guess about half way or less, so I expect to get 4-5 hours at least out of the game.

Yes, I know this game isn't for everyone, and you are certainly entitled to say so. But I can't believe how many people are trashing it based on 5 minutes - or even two minutes - of gameplay.

Minnihopps
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Minnihopps on Mar 8, 11 11:17 AM
Oh no.....another
I really tried to like it, but no.
I'll go back to my good, "old" games.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Mar 8, 11 11:28 AM
I'm sorry, but I have to agree with the naysayers. The only good game recently have been the CE's. Why offer hints if you are going to penalize the player? Why penalize the player for skipping a game they either don't like or can't figure out? Why bring up a screen to tell you every time you find something or do something. Having to click the screen to clear these is a pain in the A**. I realize that starting with a dark background and gradually lightening it so that items appear slowly is an easy way to make a game seem longer, but is this fair in a timed game? Maybe it is time to use my disposable income another way. Of course this will stick me with a ton of non=transferable Games.
Oh in case I wasn't clear, this is a no but for me. I can't even give it a pig down. It is more like burned bacon

cyndrap
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by cyndrap on Mar 8, 11 11:59 AM
I usually read the reviews in the forum before I demo any of the latest offerings
I rarely get to the demo - new game part of my day until afternoon in my time zone.

I was reading and thought to myself "this game cannot be that bad"
Oh yes it can !!

My response to the posts so far??
Ditto
Yup
Totally agree

Pass on this one

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Mar 8, 11 12:05 PM
Try but won't buy.

KathyGriggs
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by KathyGriggs on Mar 8, 11 12:06 PM
mhatfie wrote:
KathyGriggs wrote:Considering the consistency of bad games lately, I am beginning to wonder if the powers that be even READ our comments! I find myself playing Scrabble on Pogo instead of games on BF. I have replayed so many of my games that I've about gone through them all while waiting on a good one. There are a lot of sequels I have been waiting for, but so far, none have come out. I have to say I love the CE's that come out but we do need some GOOD SE's! This fishie is drowning in the cesspool of bad games of late! WAKE UP BF! Smell the coffee!

This particular game sucks, by the way!

I think Big Fish sadly has hit the snooze button.

That must be it!!!!

Go to: