Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Agency: Secrets of the Orient

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Mar 21, 11 8:38 PM
CasualGran wrote:Purely as a HOG/FROG it looks like an OK game. That is if you like old style, with silent pictures of characters sliding in for the in-between babbling and same old same old for the rest (piece-puzzling, STD etc.)

But the interaction between the male and female(s)... Absolutely unbearable to me.

First of all he is white-coloured and she is coloured. He is her boss and he has 'saved' her from the slums. Only this is enough to make me
Second his traditional woman-unfriendly attitude, immediately showing in his first remark about her being late as 'typical'. OMG, hold me back or else I strike him down, the pompous pr*ck.
Third the appearance of their first 'client' being one or the other sexy (un)dressed female fortune-teller.

This game is probaby made by a bunch of traditionally thinking not-emancipated male devs and I wouldn't even play this **** (too nasty word) for free.

Pff... have to make coffee now to recuperate...

Hey Casual Gran I made it ONE MINUTE I agree totally what a stinking game! BFG what were you thinking???

Lean

fudge25
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by fudge25 on Mar 21, 11 9:24 PM
BORING

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Mar 22, 11 1:24 AM
This game seems like an "old-timer" . I was kind of bored. I guess I am just spoiled with the great games you've had lately. I would rate this a "4" out of 10.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Mar 22, 11 3:06 AM
shagwendy wrote:I pretty much agree with Pepper above me. I wanted to see what all this racism/sexism was and I couldn't find any...not a bit. I didn't even think the boss had a snarky attitude. Her coming in late was just to explain the first H0 scene. Instead of firing her, he teases her about it and then reminisces about how he hired her because she was so smart. They seem to be best friends to me. My only complaint with the game is that the controls don't seem to work well. As mentioned before, it seems like you really have to press on the mouse hard and for the puzzles that you had to rotate I just kept doing right-click...left click...right click...left click..and the pieces eventually rotated. The object list changed when I restarted again. It's not a great game and it's not a bad game and there is nothing politically, racially, or sexually incorrect in the first 45 minutes that I played.

Yep, it's not a great game; it's not a bad game. I found that the controls worked too slowly during the Match 3 play.

Have you gotten to the part yet where she's ordering him around? And where he won't go after one of the bad guys without her with him? heh heh

I now suspect that the developers intended the early dialogue as "snappy repartee" of the type that you can find in romance novels. You know, theheroine and Mr. Right start out by sparring. I don't read romance novels, but have friends who've written them, and know the guidelines for plot formulas. And that one, her vs. him, is a (cliche) standard--let's call it the Moonlighting Gambit!

I like the background music, and enhoy the wind chimes. It's not particularly hard, but it is relaxing. Just right for when you don't wanna tackle a biggie iHOG, but want to enjoy a HOG.

edited for typos caused by jumping box

Edited on 03/22/2011 at 3:09:42 AM PST

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Mar 22, 11 4:12 AM
Pepper010 wrote:

I now suspect that the developers intended the early dialogue as "snappy repartee" of the type that you can find in romance novels. You know, the heroine and Mr. Right start out by sparring. I don't read romance novels, but have friends who've written them, and know the guidelines for plot formulas. And that one, her vs. him, is a (cliche) standard--let's call it the Moonlighting Gambit!

Or even Spencer Tracy and Kathryn Hepburn...

I was going to mention him saving the dog but it seemed like a lost cause to defend this game any further since the mob had already taken up their pitchforks and torches.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Mar 22, 11 5:51 AM
i agree pepper and sinshack,

you manage to say what i felt. that said..when this game is a dd i will probably buy

cme550
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by cme550 on Mar 22, 11 6:33 AM
I chose easy mode, as usual (I always do on my first playthrough), and found the hidden object scenes to be fairly easy. The misclick pentalty is the screen going black for a few moments. The hint button took about a minute to recharge.

Personally I didnt find anything terribly offensive about the boss. Yes he was a jerk, but nothing offensive. His 'typical' remark just made me think she was late often, but it's all a matter of opinion and thats fine. We are all entitled to have our own opinions and state them freely

I didnt like that the first puzzle was putting together paper scraps. I dont like those. I also didnt like that, according to my timer, it took me three minutes to be able to skip a puzzle. I deleted the game after that. A minute, sure, but three? No.

EndlessSerpent
Guppy
Guppy
150 Posts

[Post New]by EndlessSerpent on Mar 22, 11 8:21 AM
I wish they would stop making these "exact-o" games. I left this game for that exact reason. I hate it when I click on an object 4 or 5 times and it doesn't give it to me. Then I go to "hint" and it shows the exact same object I had already clicked on so many times. Problem is that there is so little room, that if it doesn't catch it just right, it makes you think you're looking at the wrong thing. I won't be going back to the game for that reason.

[Post New]by starpoint5 on Mar 22, 11 9:48 AM
A very basic type of HOG but I found that some of the objects were very picky about where to hit them - hit a 'cane' 9 times before it accepted it was found!!
Also very annoying in this game, is the characters constantly sliding in and out to have quite inane conversations.
Not a game I shall be buying.

MsNona1126
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,880 Posts

[Post New]by MsNona1126 on Mar 22, 11 10:56 AM
Not for me either. Tried the demo and for reasons many of you fishies indicated, No sale for me...Also...my poor eyes need a rest . Things very difficult and tiny to see.

Nolaj
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by Nolaj on Mar 22, 11 12:36 PM
Well her is another bad game. I was all excited about another HOG, but OMG this is terrible.

Peg067
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Peg067 on Mar 22, 11 1:41 PM
This game was so easy, I think even a beginner would quickly tire of it. The graphics were plain, the characters were silly, and the story was pitiful. I don't think I've ever seen such simple mini games before. That they had a skip button was hilarious. Two thumbs down!

gameslvr
Clownfish
Clownfish
553 Posts

[Post New]by gameslvr on Mar 22, 11 3:46 PM
Wow. Sorry I came in late for this. hmmmm, the site shows there are 6 pages but when I click on #6 I get sent back to the home page. Is this intentional or just my puter?

Anyway, sorry to disagree Akaratcat and Old_Man_River but CasualGran has, as everyone else does, a right to express her opinion. And when people specifically answer to her post she has a right to defend her position. I happen to agree with her but that aside, we are speaking from OUR country and therefore can only speak to our own beliefs. I don't live in other countries therefore do not have a clue as to their mores or even if this game even accurately represents them.

P.S. Hated the game. The music gave me a headache.

ledheadmelli
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ledheadmelli on Mar 23, 11 3:41 AM
Well apparently, there was some unfortunate nastiness that has been removed...
I can't imagine why the discussion went that direction, but this is a touchy subject for many people, myself included. And when our buttons are pushed, our enjoyment of the game is gone. I appreciate a warning about subject matter that may upset me.
I've seen many people comment on disliking a game because it went against their religious beliefs (too satanic) or because of phobias for certain common elements, and while there may have been some kidding responses to the phobias, I don't recall anyone being abusive over it.
We all have little quirks about things that bother us but seem innocent to others. I used to describe myself as 'brain dead' when I did something less than brilliant. Then I lost a nephew that way, and the phrase, even when used laughingly, causes me pain now. Having spent 8 years working with developmentally disabled adults, you'd better believe I don't appreciate hearing the "R" word AT ALL. Yet, people throw words like that around all the time, just in casual conversations.
If they put out a game where the subject matter involved rape or child molestation, I wouldn't care whether or not the bad guy got his in the end. I'd be screaming at BFG and the developers at the top of my lungs for DARING to market something like that as "entertainment". While this game didn't rise anywhere near that level, still I think we need to send out a message to developers that we are not entertained by characters that demean women.
And is that not the purpose of this particular thread - to state why we did or didn't like this game? I didn't see a single post demanding what others could or couldn't buy, just mostly comments such as "not for me". Ever since I have learned to check the forums first, I have not regretted a single purchase. Let's not ruin that by attacking others for having differing opinions.

[Post New]by wildaltarose on Mar 23, 11 3:04 PM
Boring....boring ...boring....and the silent chatter between the two characters will drive me to drink.....no even that will not help with this one.........don't waste a cent on this game unless you are of the Pac Man game genetation

msmithnc
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
439 Posts

[Post New]by msmithnc on Mar 24, 11 5:37 AM
I AM of the Pac Man generation (no, make that the Pong generation) and I won't waste my money on this game either! I didn't get very far into the game, because I didn't notice the timer. Since I like to take my time with hidden object scenes and not use hints, when the time was up the game just ended! I guess you then have to start all over, but I didn't bother because this was seeming to be a fairly boring straight HOG .

Edited on 03/24/2011 at 5:40:58 AM PST

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Mar 24, 11 4:37 PM
Let it go people...

It's a G-A-M-E! If you don't like it, don't play it. (simple)

There are more appropriate forums for your personal views on PC inanity. If I wanted to hear how you feel about a myriad of PC issues I'd ask, better yet, I'd visit another forum entirely! Your ranting is displacing objective game reviews and driving potential customers away from a game that just might appeal to them.

Personally I think the graphics look pretty good, at least what I saw from the screen-shots.

To be honest, I was fascinated by all the rants, ravings, and gnashing of teeth, and have not DL'd the demo yet. Ultimately, I always make up my own mind anyway. I use the reviews to help prioritise whether it looks interesting enough to DL immediately or whether waiting till the DD etc will suffice.

I will have to DL this immediately just to help put all the above objective reviews into perspective.

[Post New]by Tinkertoes on Mar 25, 11 2:07 AM
I cannot believe I had to actually read through 6 pages of people complaining (if you all think the game is annoying, try reading everything that has been wrote in one sitting)! Then to make the remark that the game is "old timer" several times, now I feel offended! None of you must own a TV because that is pretty much all that's on TV, I'm referring to everything that has been complained about. Enough said, go somewhere else please, my ears are ringing. I actually enjoyed the demo version & used my free credit to buy the game. So, I came here looking for some help (all of you who said it was boring or a plain "old timer" HOG then why could no one solve the 2nd mini-game with the marbles - was it too hard for you)? So please, BFG let this site for the next six pages be some help to other's I'm very certain people have got the message about the boss, German's, belly-dancer's etc... even if they didn't care to hear it. IT IS JUST A G-A-M-E,you don't like, you don't buy & you make one comment & it is heard better than 20 of them! Come on people I'm not trying to be rude, I don't like people treating each other bad, my motto to my children has always been: Gossip just as racism is taught in the home & it will not be taught or used in this home! Honestly, if it's ever done in front of me I will speak up & do something about it, but when it's a game it's a game, Is the 1st two sets of property in Monopoly considered the slums cause it cost 70-90% cheaper than Park Place or Board Walk? Yes it is, but it's just a game! So let's all start playing in harmony.

Edited on 03/25/2011 at 6:39:28 AM PST

[Post New]by Tinkertoes on Mar 25, 11 11:42 AM
SPOILER ALERT!!!!

I have some help for those stuck on the Matching Gems Mini-Game: First of all, if all of the negative people would have read the instructions as well as they read what the characters had to say, they might have understood it. It states: Position disks so that they match one another. You must arrange them according to not only the color of the gemstones themselves, but also the colored markings on the background. Which to me means, don't try to match the background, forget the background exists & pay attention to the colored gems that are attached to 3 of the disks. The center disk has green markings/gemstones (will be referred to as gems) above it, the disk above having purple gems facing the green gems. Below the center disk there's blue gems which has pink gems facing it. So first, find a disk with a blue & green gem opposite each other (in the mini I played there were two disk like that, you have to figure out which one will work out). Then find a purple gem in a disk to put where the purple gems are & do the same with the pink gems. None of these are suppose to match up (if you'll look closely, you'll see there is not a line linking these disks together like the line linking the other disks together). Continued.......

Edited on 03/25/2011 at 11:46:01 AM PST

[Post New]by Tinkertoes on Mar 25, 11 12:26 PM
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!
Continued.......

Then you will have to do a lot of forward looking to solve the puzzle. When you are finished, all the disks will be in the circle, like in the icon pic in the top left corner of this page. It is a fun & challenging mini-game, not super easy like most of them in HOGs. Hope this helps!

P.S. To CasualGran: may I ask, what is a coloured girl? Because to me she just looks tanned & I don't know what coloured is slang for? Just curious, not looking for trouble.

Go to: