bfgArnoStyx
Stingray
Stingray
5,877 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Curse of the Thirty Denarii

[Post New]by bfgArnoStyx on Mar 29, 11 12:50 PM
Hello everyone,

Please keep all of your posts in this thread related to your thoughts on this specific game and refrain from going off topic. It's a great thread that others can browse through for your opinions before deciding to play or purchase it, so we'd like to make sure that your posts are constructive.

We'd really like to keep this thread going and want to avoid starting a new Comments and Reviews thread, so please keep all posts relevant. If you'd like to discuss other topics, you are welcome to start your own thread in the Game Forum (if applicable) or the Chit-Chat Corner. Please PM a Moderator if you need help or have any questions. Thank you!

-bfgArnoStyx

Coachswife
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by Coachswife on Mar 29, 11 12:51 PM
I agree with everyone that this is a terrible game. I also wish BF would post the developer it it's discription of the game. I downloaded the game and when I saw it was this developer I deleted it right away. I was buying lots of games and lately i think I've bought 1, not counting the games I got with game credits.

Dibbydoo
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Dibbydoo on Mar 29, 11 12:58 PM
It is unfortunate, but probably intended that BFG is selling these types of games on their site this month. This is the contest month and the prizes are good ones. Remember the more you buy the more chances you have of winning the prizes. Why put things out there that anyone would buy. I am very disappointed that they would stoop this low, but that is the vibe I am getting from them. I have seen at least four of these HdO games this month alone and I know the people at BFG realize that these games aren't worth selling on their site. Once the month of March is over I believe these games will all of a sudden disappear.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Mar 29, 11 1:05 PM
For the record, here is an excerpt of the post where Paul Thelan (Picman) says only 5% of members post, as well as a link to the entire post....this was dated May 22, 2009.

Here is another quote from picman that was here in the forums.

"As with any business it is about supply and demand. If there is a demand (not from the 5% of the people posting in forums, but from the 100% who vote with their wallets, game developers fill that demand. If there is no demand, they have to change the type of game they make or risk bankruptcy.

4 years ago there was not such thing as a **** game. Why are there so many today...developers can make money."

Here is the link to the whole post in the topic.

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/40/34989.page#764488

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Mar 29, 11 1:44 PM
Poutoule wrote:As I'm a fan of E.P. Jacobs (I know he's dead but his books carry on with the same spirit), I've got the 2 cartoons of The Thirty Denarii and they're great. Downloading, hope I won't be disappointed...

Played 20 minutes, graphics are the same as in the cartoons, but I'm afraid I much prefer rereading them than playing the game.......... No buy, I'll stick to my books.

lilyr
Marlin
Marlin
8,137 Posts

[Post New]by lilyr on Mar 29, 11 1:58 PM
heatherington wrote: Big Fish itself only comes out with one good game a year, which are the MCF games. .

I edited this quote down to just what i wanted to comment on. Not true! I think the Hidden Expedition games are just as good as MCF. JMO of course.

donnan01
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by donnan01 on Mar 29, 11 1:59 PM
I don't know what it is with all these HdO games, but once again, Big NO for me. just a waste of money - I even gave it the benefit of the doubt and played quite a while hoping it would get better, but I won't even try any more that are in this format.

girlwonder
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by girlwonder on Mar 29, 11 2:04 PM
jojo_the_joyful wrote:
girlwonder wrote:Cherb, it seems to me BFG is not only trying to forcefeed us bad games, but they are trying to forcefeed us the Collectors Editions because those are the only games I can see that are worth buying. The Standard Editions are what most would pay $2.99 for. I am getting disgusted with their continual offerings of bad games. Are they under new management or something? Used to, I couldn't keep up with buying all the good games and now, I tend to settle for games I wouldn't ordinarily purchase.

Hope they care what their fishies think!

I hear you girlwonder but don't agree. Our membership deal is for 1 game a month at $6.99. Any other purchases are purely a matter of personal choice not force feeding, to buy or not to buy.

I defy ANYONE on here to find 1 game a month they do not willingly purchase.

However, my stock of games I must try is being seriously depleted this week LOL.

girlwonder
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by girlwonder on Mar 29, 11 2:08 PM
Hey Jo Jo, that is a good idea. Maybe if all members just bought one game a month, BFG would get the hint, course, they would probably be out of business too. LOL

[Post New]by Dbnp264 on Mar 29, 11 2:20 PM
I thought it was a fun though very short and brainless game. Not worth paying for. The only hard parts were the hilarious mis-translations of items in the hidden objects scenes. Gotta get a native english speaker to proof thsi stuff!

[Post New]by Dbnp264 on Mar 29, 11 2:20 PM
I thought it was a fun though very short and brainless game. Not worth paying for. The only hard parts were the hilarious mis-translations of items in the hidden objects scenes. Gotta get a native english speaker to proof thsi stuff!

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Mar 29, 11 2:23 PM
Oh come on my little fishies!! We must help the overseas market by buying their worthless games, YA! And for 30 denari I would not buy this game. Got it comrade! Capitalism lives so that BF can make money with the $13.99 decent games. However, I must admit that those are majestic games. It's kinda like the movies. If you don't have the money, you must wait until it comes out in DVD. Same here, unfortunately for those who don't have the extra rubles or euros or even dinari to buy these classics!

[Post New]by workerbee12345 on Mar 29, 11 3:01 PM
too short. Was intrigued after the hour, but ended up only playing another another half hour after that. Waste of a game credit for sure.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Mar 29, 11 3:54 PM
Well, if you read what I wrote on yesterday's game, you will have my review for this one as well. I wonder how many games BF didn't seel this month. No sale for me either!

SandraDaL
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by SandraDaL on Mar 29, 11 4:09 PM
I was curious about the premise of the game and thought it would be an exciting and interesting adventure. Not so, I don't like the characters popping in and out when they're talking and the graphics were certainly not up to par. This could be a good story line, but it will have to be done by someone else to catch my interest and dollars.

[Post New]by pgobeli on Mar 29, 11 4:20 PM
I agree with Cryssie64. Both games by HDO were terrible. Thank goodness I didn't invest more than an hour of my time. Come on BF. Who's taking care of quality control?

JudyAlex
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by JudyAlex on Mar 29, 11 5:08 PM
Well, I wonder why the moderator says that "they value our opinions" when it is pretty obvious to me that most of the comments on the HdO games are neqative regardless of which one it is.....seems to me the value of our comments do not apply to HdO games! I do not post often, but I had to put my 2 cents in as well. I do not like these games either, and have deleted all from that developer that I downloaded and will not d/l this one.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Mar 29, 11 6:23 PM
I had made a comment on another thread that I hoped BF was listening to us in the forums...someone sent me the link to Picman's comments from 2009, as well as a link to a lecture he gave on the state of BigFish and why hogs are what is selling. It is a fact, even if we don't know the exact percentage, that there are many more buying from BF than those that post in the forums. But I believe that our vocality (is that a word, lol) counts for something. We are very vocal about what we like and dislike and why. So yes, we do expect BF to listen to us as well, but it is also a fact that the bottom line is money...I for one will not buy substandard games

karolyneb
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,459 Posts

[Post New]by karolyneb on Mar 29, 11 6:34 PM
Could it be that folks that actually like the game feel uncomfortable posting this because the general comments are so negative?

Even Cranky Preggo Lady was feeling intimidated at first but, it is hard to keep someone who's as pregnant and cranky as I am right now shut up for long .

Seriously, this isn't a HOG - it is an Interactive Novel with hidden objects in it. The gameplay is pretty basic for HOG but I could see that beginners and/or folks who are more interested in the story might like it. I see it as a light & fluffy game to play as an alternative to a light & fluffy novel to read.

It is something that I can see myself with the Preschooler, in the hospital, and then using things like this (probably not this one since the art is more graphic novel) to introduce my mom to the genre when she and Dad come by in May.

Mirinah
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by Mirinah on Mar 29, 11 7:53 PM
March has been the most challenging month to find a decent game.

Go to: