gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Novel

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Apr 11, 11 9:35 PM
elldee2728 wrote:Hey gamergirl--I think you're being a little tough on elhar02--it's absolutely our job as gamers to encourage developers with both positive and negative criticisms (I'm not using the word "coddle"). I agree that we need to put our thinking caps on and work the llittle gray cells! It might be kind of a one-track world if we only had access to games from BFG, (removed by moderator). I don't mind having to find a saw to cut a tree branch that impedes my progress, rather than just stepping over it like we might do in "real life." These are fantasies, they're games. I'd sometimes rather not have the games reflect our day-to-day world. This one doesn't, and there's something good about that.

I'm being hard on him/her? Really?? Did you read what I responded to? It was a slam at other posters not a game review. I say everyone should be able to say how they feel about a game good or bad which to me sounds like what you're saying. But elhar wasn't reviewing the game so much as bashing everyone who posted negative comments or reviews. What I said (and I did use the word coddle and I meant it) is that it's not our job to "give points for effort" or to buy things that are poor quality or we don't enjoy just to encourage new devs. That's not how it works in the world of commerce. The good games will sell enough to encourage the maker to make more. If a game doesn't sell and gets slammed in reviews then either the dev will learn from their mistakes or they will go back to thier day jobs and another new comer will take their slot. I work too hard for my money to buy inferior items be it games or food or anything else. And I don't appreciate when someone else tries to tell me (or anyone else) that we should settle for less or not post our comments because we don't have glowing praise for the game. The thing is this game has some good points to it but it's not worth buying as it stands. I love the premise of the game and it kept my interest. So if they LISTEN and fix the issues then it's a sale. Or if they listen and improve the next one I'll buy that. But no one has the right to slam other posters and I'm surprised you think they do. By the way... I didn't say anything about the tree branch so not sure who you're talking to with that one.

Edited on 04/12/2011 at 10:12:59 AM PST

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Apr 11, 11 9:41 PM
Kebbielebbie wrote:Oh this game was annoying....

Firstly, Sparkles are not cool, devs...we really aren't as dumb as we look...

Secondly, the speed of the mouse was so frustrating...

Third, yawn...

No buy for me...

To Gamergirl...This is a comment and review section for the game...please avoid the criticism on the critics...it's tacky and petty...I disagree with many things you post but I don't think this is the forum to nick-pick you.

Dunno what I did to get on the "slam gamergirl" bandwagon but for the record I was saying exactly what you just said... it's a forum for comments and reviews on the GAMES not on other reviewers. So when I try and say exactly that why am I called out for it? The post I commented on was NOT a criticism of the game but was a criticism of the other posters. That's not cool... every one should be allowed a voice even if we disagree and that's what I said. You're right... it's tacky and petty... but ok to do to me I guess? Maybe read what I was responding to so you can see what I mean.

puppycake
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by puppycake on Apr 11, 11 9:47 PM
Even this latest game Mystery Novel looked innocent enough but oh no nooooooooo, has to be about demons and the supernatural.
Can we pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee have one HOG every 2 weeks even that is NOT do to with the occult, evil, dark, demons, ect!!!! I am so sick of this. The world is evil enough place, would be nice to sit and relax at night with something not so dark. I know 2 weeks ago the top 15 HOG games were ALL evil and to do with the occult, EVERYONE of them. And for you guys that love them that is fine, but I do not think they ALL have to be that way! I'm not asking for much, you guys like your dark games and you get them, you can say if I don't like those ones do not play them. Well that means I wouldn't get to play any! I have never seen it this bad. No I do not want Marry Poppins and am not a prude, I love mysteries and thrillers. Why can't the developers put out a decent thiller or mystery without the occult? You can still make good quaility games an leave that stuff out. If that is the only type of game that sells, what can I say. Just when I though the world couldn't be in anymore of a mess. This is just such a small part of why it is. People thriving on witchcraft and the occult, how sad. Oh I am quite aware I am the minority although I get tons of PM's people agreeing with me and others publically saying the games are terribly evil lately. But still I know we are the monority. Please don't jump all over me, I just would like to go back and be able to play a couple of games a month HOG's! And when they finally do come out with one like "Love Letters 2", it seems the quality is not near as good. This would be one reason people like the evil better, they are better quality games. And as far as CE's HOG's, forget it, they don't come much more occult than those. Aghhhhhh I am just so frustrated! Sorry for the rant

JanG7
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by JanG7 on Apr 11, 11 10:00 PM
I read all the posts, but I will still download the game to see for myself. I used a credit on this one but I would have paid for it regardless. I found the graphics very nicely done and had no technical issues. I especially liked the unique game play at the end. Well worth the chance I took on this one.

For the one's who don't like tiny HOG scenes, this game is for you (if you like the darker story line games).

I hope to see more from these folks. Nicely done Devs and thanks BFG for the opportunity to play this game.

[Post New]by laperlesatin on Apr 11, 11 11:44 PM
Boring childish game. No ''advanced'' option. Should have read your comments before buying. No guessing, no strategy.

Need games like Return to Ravenhearst, Diregrove, Midnight mysteries.

Hate it that they don't have a ''hidden object strategy'' in the ''genres''. They have them in **** or Big file.

Waiting for Shiver Vanishing Hitchhiker plain edition.

Would not recommend for adults.

Very disappointing !

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Apr 12, 11 1:04 AM
barbee44 wrote: I often see people remark on things they don't like about some of the less known developer's games, when the same thing happens in the CE's it goes without remark, go figure.

Good comment, Barbee, I agree completely.

This is not the polished game of some of the "big" developers, but it was a fun and slightly challenging experience for the demo time that I played.

The game filled my Widescreen monitor and played smoothly.
The cursor worked correctly and no slow loading screens.
The H0 scenes were very clear and easy to find things. I liked the fact that I rarely had to use hints except for the besom (sp?), but now I've learned a new term. Thanks, developers.

I liked the gameplay of going to different locations to find things especially since the scenes moved quickly without the pause to load. There is some thought and memory involved to get back to where you needed to use that item you just found. I appreciated the "sparklies" so I didn't have to do a lot of pixel hunting. {Thanks for your comments, Jeffory}

The story has me interested in what happens next, so I may have to go ahead and buy it to find out what happens because I really enjoyed the way the game played.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Apr 12, 11 1:41 AM
Well I gave it a second chance after it would not display widescreen on my 17.3 laptop, W7-64bit. I clicked full screen and it went into windows and the bottom of the game, inventory, Menu etc were covered by bottom task bar which would not go down as usual,, had to CAT to exit.

DL fine on pc with XP, started over and was running fine and I was considering buying it, simplicity, good clear graphics, interesting story. About 20 min into the game I had just done a puzzle and it crashed. Error in Windows, said it had to close program, send error report to MS. Too bad, never had that happen on a game before, wasn't even access violation. MS just decided not to run it.

It's ok, and there ARE games without the "evil" element. I'm enjoying the new Amazing Adventures Dynasty by Spintop very much. The make such good HOGs, and some items have riddles to guess the word, simple 2 or 3 item interaction. Not a game to play straight through, could get monotonous, but a few levels to relax, take breaks housecleaning. I like the variety of the simple casual and sometimes the long drawn out stories, don't mind ghosts and goblins, just don't like gory, blood etc. Even the first Ravenhearst was a bit much for me and RTR wasn't on the cheerful side either.

Somebody mentioned it being outdated, nobody wears medalions since the 70's. Odd observation, the typewriter on the desk was pre computer office, and in a time change next HOG had a 1940's Royal portable just like my Mom's, may have been 30's. So sometimes knee jerk criticisms are a bit off base. His image changed to an older man, bigger medalion so all seemed in context to the story. Just sorry I can't play further to see what the mystery is.

Nice to see some games that some can play and enjoy, we all are not all looking for the same things in games. Nothing appealing tonight either but I've got a backlog to finish, and my 3 credits are money in the bank for when I punch my card with some SEs I didn't get this time as CEs.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Apr 12, 11 1:44 AM
(Off-topic for starters here)

Hey Gamergirl--I'm NOT on any "slam" bandwagon! I certainly respect your posts (as I have for some time!). I hear where you're coming from with respect to "criticizing the critics," but I maintain my stance that newer developers need feedback, be it "positive" or "negative." What's inferior to you may be satisfactory to someone else--do you measure quality by comparison to Phantasmat or the MCF games? That might be a little bit unfair. The game we're supposed to be "reviewing and commenting" on here is a pretty good first-time offering from the devs--I betcha their next one will show improvement. (Kinda back-tracking on my initial comments about this game--might just use a Punchcard code after all!)

(Whew! There--got back "on-topic"!)

Edited on 04/12/2011 at 1:48:55 AM PST

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Apr 12, 11 1:48 AM
Hi there all,
Well any game that has such mixed views and reviews (there IS a difference) sparks my interest when I have taken the time to finish the full trial and find that I, too, like others have found the story interesting enough to consider purchasing it.
Tulula and Crossworlds are two games that come to mind that were originally lambasted yet in the end had more "good time" and "I did it" comments than the gainsayers who did not persist.
That said, I agree that this game is not as polished as some, and for me there is more hand-holding than I would normally like, but I have had an enjoyable time so far and want to continue on with the story. And it is not a CE!!
This developer maybe could do with some constructive thoughts (some of them do pop in and check the responses about their games) and suggestions about improving their next effort. Me? I like running back and forth - though I too sometimes wonder why I can't use an obvious tool to complete a task, but generally get there in the end.
And the misnaming? Well, a crowbar is used to jimmy things open here, so the jimmy bar was no problem ... and really, once you get used to how things are named you can generally pick the items listed in H0 scenes. Maybe some adaptation rather than criticism is needed here (check the "what do you call a.." thread to see how diverse the use of the English language is a across the globe in English-speaking nations!!)
So, maybe a more open mind about the overall "worth" or "enjoyability" of the game rather than a brief "taste-testing" and nitpicking about the little things rather than the complete package might be more productive.
I think I have just made up my mind to use one of my PC credits.
Cheers.

Edited on 04/12/2011 at 7:52:58 PM PST

[Post New]by wingnuts0915 on Apr 12, 11 2:14 AM
puzzledone wrote:What happened to the right sidebar on the game promo page that tells (or gives a hint) what genre it is? Is it just me, the past week or so it wasn't there like on soft release Vesuvia, no Match 3 list on the side. Maybe BF is tired of us arguing which is what type game, misidentifying or cross overs. Some with no videos. Cost cutting?

I didn't read the whole thread to see if someone had pointed out that the "sidebar" is now a "bottom bar." If you scroll down, that information is still there, it is just underneath the game description now.

LarkBea
Herring
Herring
354 Posts

[Post New]by LarkBea on Apr 12, 11 3:17 AM
I will dispense with a review since that territory has already been covered well and simply add a comment or two.

I enjoyed this game. It was relatively long (just as long as a recently released CE game) and was challenging, yet enjoyable. I focus less on theme and more on the mechanics of the game. The final challenge was something different.

I would like to see more games from these devs.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Apr 12, 11 5:03 AM
elldee2728 wrote:Hey gamergirl--I think you're being a little tough on elhar02--it's absolutely our job as gamers to encourage developers with both positive and negative criticisms (I'm not using the word "coddle"). I agree that we need to put our thinking caps on and work the llittle gray cells! It might be kind of a one-track world if we only had access to games from BFG, Alawar, Awem, PopCap/SpinTop, and Gogii. I don't mind having to find a saw to cut a tree branch that impedes my progress, rather than just stepping over it like we might do in "real life." These are fantasies, they're games. I'd sometimes rather not have the games reflect our day-to-day world. This one doesn't, and there's something good about that.

I'm getting a kick reading all the posts complaining about having to cut the tree rather than step over it, but very few complaining about the lack of logic in a medallion sucking out his life force!

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but cutting the tree makes perfect sense to me - because if I was walking as far as across an intersection and down a street, I wouldn't be walking, I'd be in my electric mobility scooter because I have a back injury and can only walk about 100 feet without falling over (I do that a lot anyway.) Since there's no way I could step over any branch that was more than a couple of inches high (and this one looks about hip-high) cutting it with a saw to make a path for my scooter is completely logical.

Overall, this is a decent game, and certainly worth spending my FREE punchcard credit on. I'm not that fast, so I expect to get at least 3-4 hours of gameplay. Even if I had to pay cash for it, that's more enjoyment than I'd get from a fast food combo meal at the same price, and it looks better on my thighs.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

Spoiler Alert

[Post New]by bratzgram on Apr 12, 11 5:29 AM
This game has me going in both directions. Good or bad?
Hidden Object scenes are okay but didn't they test this game? In one scene they were asking for a jimmy bar. I clicked on crow bar and got it even though it wasn't on my list. Still had to look for jimmy bar. A money box is actually a piggy bank. A sphere is a bowling ball. A broom is listed as a mop. In some scenes there are 2 of an object when they are only asking for one.
The sparkles lead you around a bit to much and at first you think it will make the game way to easy but it gets better the farther you go. There is no difficulty choice.
There is also no hints on mini games but you shouldn't need them. They are pretty easy but you can't skip them either.
I would have liked a map or journal to help find my way around.
I almost gave up half way through. I am glad I didn't I actually ended up enjoying it. The problem is there is no walkthrough. I never buy without one. On this one if I had a clue as to how long it is I may have put it on my list for when I can't find one I can't live without. I would like some clue on the length but without the walkthrough I have no way to know.

All in all a good game but definitely needs some fine tuning.

I give it 2 1/2 out of 5 the way it is now. If they did fine tune I would give it a better rating.

burningswan
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by burningswan on Apr 12, 11 5:30 AM
Review of demo, or more like a comment:

I am on the fence. I like the game geography, no glitches, clear scenes. I do not care for the constant backtracking to pick up an object needed to solve an interactive aspect. It should have been allowed when first encountered. Sparkles- maybe they should have been an option. I do not mind them, but would prefer some time to elapse before they appeared. The game is fine as far as the hidden object scenes go. I found them clear and no overly challenging.

BTW did anyone else catch the picture of John Lennon in the matching newspaper mini?

Edited on 04/12/2011 at 5:39:53 AM PST

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Apr 12, 11 5:33 AM
awvines wrote:......................There is a good bit of sparkling, which I can overlook since this obviously is not a top drawer game. Graphics are nicely done, HOG scenes are straight forward except the developers may not be native speakers of English. You want me to find a Besom? Let me find a dictionary...You call THAT a tin can? Well at least every time it looks the same! I do find details like this amusing rather than annoying - Oh, THAT's what you mean by a sphere........../quote]

I'm not sure about your dictionary, but mine defines a "Besom" as:
–noun
a broom, especially one of brush or twigs.

broom ( def. 2 ) .

ETA: Sorry about the funky text - every time I edit this it looks worse. I just can't get it to do a normal quote for some reason.

Edited on 04/12/2011 at 5:36:30 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Apr 12, 11 6:20 AM
[quote=sunnyglows
By the way, what is the big whoopla about electric chairs. Geesh! Many states still use them. Get over it! There are alot worse graphics than this.

Then 'many states' should be ashamed of themselves for continuing to use what is the most barbaric form of execution since being hung, drawn and quartered. I thought this ghastly method had been banned. In this day and age, there's no place for it.

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Apr 12, 11 7:14 AM
I played the whole demo hour and I still don't know if I should get it or not....

The graphics were good on my pc, the music unobtrusive, I found the game kind of interesting
BUT
the cursor was very sluggish, I had to click on most things at least twice, on the other hand sometimes the cursor was very sensitive as to where you put it, also instead of going down ended up opening the inventory a lot.
The hint and skip button took a looong time to recharge and I found the directions for some of the mini games a bit unclear.
And on top of that, I had to restart the game with a new profile. I only got to play a couple of minutes the first time around and after reopening the front door was still closed and nothing left to do. I don't know if that was because of where I quit the game the first time around or if it didn't save properly or what.

Oh well, maybe this way I'll get something done around the house today

[Post New]by ConfusedALot on Apr 12, 11 11:17 AM
Hi Fishies!

Mystery Novel is a HOG that I've played for all of 25 minutes and unfortunately, it's not one for me!

I found the speed of the cursor to be really slow, and although it might not be a big problem, I did find it really irritating that it took twice as long to click on things than in other HOGs.

When I played the hidden object scenes, I could click on the correct object a good 3 or 4 times with the cursor before it was found. I thought that maybe it was just me not clicking properly, but when one of the objects was a large map, and I was clicking in the middle of it, I was a little bit let down!

BUT!!! The hidden object scenes were actually rather good. The graphics were good enough, in my opinion, to actually find the hidden objects and were rather easy to find. It was made a little tricky with some of the items being really small, but I enjoyed it!

The moving from scene to scene was rather nice, but again, the slow speed of moving the cursor over to the exit areas was really annoying! It made me wish that the new scenes would just automatically load instead!

Another thing I found rather nice were the sparkle areas - they weren't the 'in-your-face' sparkly areas that some HOGs have. Instead, they were just quietly sparkling in the background. But again, my only criticism would be the speed of the cursor to try and get to the sparkles!

Overall, I thought that it could have been a rather nice game, but for me, the speed of the cursor would be really annoying if it stayed that same speed! So I won't be buying the game!

Edited on 04/12/2011 at 11:18:12 AM PST

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Apr 12, 11 11:22 AM
I think, if this is a first game for them, these developers are
off to a good start. Some of the translation problems I just
look at as more to figure out. Sure, a mop is not a broom,
but when I couldn't find a mop, just took a chance on broom.
As far as a crowbar is a jerrybar is a nail puller, well I've heard
all three terms before, so created no problem here.

Great game, no, but I still had hours of fun playing it and I
really appreciated the great graphics. Sometimes good is
good enough for me. Did it WITHOUT a walkthrough and
only got help once in the forums, so would not be suprised
that it will be too easy for some.

I'll gladly try the next game by these guys and hopefully they
will do some things better.

huggzz
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by huggzz on Apr 12, 11 12:35 PM
Poutoule wrote:My good old crowbar became a jimmybar, and while looking for a petty cash box (orth ?) it turned out to be a piggy bank... Never mind. Tried to step over the tree but, obviously, wasn't allowed even though I could still manage it despite my old age, so I didn't bother to look for a saw and came here. Not a bad game, just not worth spending money or a credit on it. May be as a DD on a rainy day.

A Crowbar and Jimmy Bar are two different things... A Jimmy is used to opening up a car door.. I'm sure everyone has seen this operation on T.V. Not the same as a crowbar which you can use in quite a few places..
Annie

Go to: