Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Shiver: Vanishing Hitchhiker

[Post New]by keithbob on May 30, 11 11:43 AM
best game ive played,congrats to the makers.looking for the sequel now!

hcatb
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by hcatb on Jun 1, 11 7:08 AM
sandebeach wrote:Finally had some time to play this game, bought it after playing 20 minutes of the demo. This was an excellent game. But I am curious about the ending, I wonder if there were further developments/situations in the ending of the bonus chapter of the CE? Will need to look over at that forum to see if it was discussed. If not, don't know if there will be a sequel.

I was wondering about that myself... Will there be a sequel or is it included in the CE already?

[Post New]by Christineinmich on Jun 1, 11 5:40 PM
Awesome! I just finished it and can't say enough about it. It's not a simple game but it was hard to turn off. I spent my whole Memorial day on this game and what an ending!! Can't wait for another installment and there HAS to be more. :-)
Thanks to everyone involved. Again...Awesome game!

donswench
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by donswench on Jun 2, 11 10:53 AM
Help. I'm nearly at the end of vanishing hitchhiker and my daughter went on and played. Picked up the plaque out of the alter but missed the juniper. ;got the stone out of the teddy and did the circle bit. the lights came up and now I cannot get to the alter to get the juniper. any suggestions please?

[Post New]by MelD100258 on Jun 2, 11 11:53 AM
shadowfax44 wrote:
tehi wrote:DANG!!!! Big Huge Senior Moment.......I bought this game weeks ago and to anybody that cares loved it Thanks to Poutoule (LoL) and shadowfax for pointing this out.

PS... Does anyone really care about wallpapers??? Just curious and suspicious

ROFLOL

My Dad says getting old isn't for sissies and I am starting to understand what he means!!

I don't care a flip about wallpapers and rarely look at concept art or any of the other bonus goodies except the extra game play - that is the only reason I buy the CEs. I am a sucker for that bonus game play (when I can afford to buy CEs which is NOT every week!)

[Post New]by MelD100258 on Jun 2, 11 11:55 AM
shadowfax44 wrote:
tehi wrote:DANG!!!! Big Huge Senior Moment.......I bought this game weeks ago and to anybody that cares loved it Thanks to Poutoule (LoL) and shadowfax for pointing this out.

PS... Does anyone really care about wallpapers??? Just curious and suspicious

ROFLOL

My Dad says getting old isn't for sissies and I am starting to understand what he means!!

I don't care a flip about wallpapers and rarely look at concept art or any of the other bonus goodies except the extra game play - that is the only reason I buy the CEs. I am a sucker for that bonus game play (when I can afford to buy CEs which is NOT every week!)
/

FYI Betty Davis said "Aging is for Sissies." LOL

kelsie2
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by kelsie2 on Jun 6, 11 1:06 PM
its a buy for me after playing the demo,, great graphics and the music is ot bad for a change(, maybe not after a couple of hours of it !!!)
tried two demos this one and " The Silent Scream...".. no comparison .. in my humble opinion this is the better game .
my only gripe is once again I seem to be in the dark.. but at least I have a flashlight at hand !!!
Off to find my code for the freebie from May ...and continue "Shivering "

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Jun 14, 11 5:49 PM
Quite good. Just finished. Lots of thinking, lots of hidden object scenes, nice ambience.

I hated those drive-the-boat things...I can't do first-person stuff like that w/out getting ...luckily there was a skip button but it took forever to load up to use. But I got through it.

Schmaltzy "love story" which was stupid imo..but I do'nt play these games for the story anyway, so no matter.

Long game, lots to do. I do'nt regret getting it, but am glad I didn't buy the CE.

loveday
Minnow
Minnow
272 Posts

[Post New]by loveday on Jun 18, 11 8:14 PM
It took me over 2 weeks to pluck up enough courage to start + finish in the morgue ...this really creeped me out... that doesn't happen that often...i was really freaked..

Bit disappointed in myself i opted to demo the CE then opted out when SE was released so quite tempted to download CE..

The only real down fall of the game is the H/O like 3 lit candles and you have to lite them?? one legged pirate find a wooden peg and put this on them??

Excuse me what has this got to do with H/O??? and What's the point??

Thumbs up for Shiver

Edited on 06/18/2011 at 8:18:03 PM PST

Ongoldenpond
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by Ongoldenpond on Jun 20, 11 10:39 AM
Every once in a while a really AWESOME game comes along and this is it! Put it up there with my top three favorites, along with Dire Grove, Return to Ravenhurst and the original Princess Isabella. Other adventure/hidden obect games have come close but Shivers really blew me away. Pretty much everything was perfect and all you could want in this kind of game - along with the creepy factor. Not to keen on the trend towards muted color grafics to lend atmosphere but the was the only thing I personally didn't care for. Otherwise you're in for a real treat!

Tundei
Clownfish
Clownfish
653 Posts

[Post New]by Tundei on Jul 2, 11 8:05 PM
Just can't understand why developers put sparkles in advanced mode! If I want challenge, /it's their word/ I don't need sparkles to lead me! Have regrets now, I bought it.

Poem123
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by Poem123 on Jul 9, 11 11:39 AM
Lovely game. I downloaded it intending to only play the hour as I had an hour to kill. Got hooked immediately. Now it's 4:30am and I have to get up soon!

Well developed story, lots of adventure mode (limits you to small areas at a time though so you don't get overwhelmed), First HOG I've played in Advanced Mode which was perhaps a little too easy, maybe I should always play in this mode.

Enjoyed every minute of this. A lot of thought went into its development and it draws you right in. Atmospheric, detailed, challenging but not so much you need a walkthru.

Near-perfect game. Maybe less sparklies on hard mode next time. Am eagerly awaiting the next chapter (hopefully there will be one).

Liasmani
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
19,504 Posts

[Post New]by Liasmani on Jul 13, 11 9:42 AM
Graphics – 3 stars
Story – 2.5 stars
Music/Sounds – 3 stars
Gameplay – 3 stars
Overall – 2.875 stars

My ratings of games can be high as 5 and can be low as 1.

Ratings Explained:

1 star: Poor
2 stars: Okay
3 stars: Good
4 stars: Great
5 stars: Excellent

I won’t be purchasing this game at all. For those who did – Happy Gaming!

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Sep 8, 11 4:55 PM
Haven't gotten through the whole game yet, but love this game already. I love games with creepy settings, and this really fits the bill. I also like that if you can't figure out where you need to go next, you can click on Hint until it gets you to the room you need to be in. You can keep clicking on Hint as you move from room to room without it having to charge. It's a big help for me!

Looking forward to finishing the game.

[Post New]by rebeccartist on Sep 16, 11 11:54 PM
Great game, we're really hoping for a sequel (like many folks here). Well designed, scary, good music accompaniment, puzzles (when there were some) were not extremely challenging.... Nice job, Artogon!

Definitely a cut above the usual fare here at BFG, and well worth the $. I'm only sorry that we didn't buy the CE so missed the chance to explore (I assume) another location we could see behind the locked gate and on our map. OR, that's the spot for the implied sequel.

Reminded us in certain places of Jonathan Boakes adventure games - the fright factor, the creepy voices over an abandoned telephone, the exploration of dark corners. OH -- *loved* the flashlight tool! Great idea.

TnTexas
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by TnTexas on Sep 17, 11 12:48 PM
Overall Impression: a creepy/dark-and-eerie iHOG/Adventure blend that's worth

Pros:
-- Two game modes are available - casual and adventure. According to the option menu: "Hints and skips recharge slower and most other hints are unavailable in the adventure mode."
-- The graphics and music are excellent and very evocative of an eerie, deserted town.
-- Some of the activities required you to think out of the box a bit. For example, that window that needs to be broken cannot be done so by a nearby brick or stone.
-- The storyline was fairly well done. It was told through notes and journal entries and wasn't too difficult to follow.
-- The HOG scenes were slightly grainy junkpiles. Despite that, things usually weren't too difficult to find. There was a flashlight available for making dark corners brighter. The hints refilled fairly quickly, and the misclick penalty was a short loss of the cursor.
-- The minigames/puzzles were skippable within a reasonable amount of time. I don't remember any of them being very difficult.

Cons:
-- Only the opening scene was voiced-over.
-- A major question in the opening was never referred to again.

Bonus Material for the Collector's Edition: was an extra chapter that pretty much negated a possibility of a direct sequel to the game. I think it took me about 45 minutes to an hour to play.

Will Probably Appeal to: people who like IHOG/Adventures, ghost stories, and dark-and-eerie games

Will Probably Not Appeal to: those who prefer straight HOGs or prefer to avoid games with supernatural themes

janetwhat
Lobster
Lobster
91 Posts

[Post New]by janetwhat on Oct 3, 11 6:08 PM
Excellent time playing this game.

Don't know about the story because I really don't remember who what when or why, but the where was very good. Several locations/neighborhoods and even though you go in and out of rooms and buildings several times it wasn't boring at all.

One of my favorite lines from a game is from this one. The protagonist comes across a locked hatch and says something like

Another locked door with no handle and no lock. I can't tell you how sick I am of this.

LOL

Anyway, just finished it and came to look at reviews or even comments about the game and that in itself was another hidden object scene. After looking at the first two pages of this thread I said the heck with what anyone else thought about this game since it seems like they did not think about this game.

Bottom line - worth your time and effort.

Shastanna
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by Shastanna on Oct 8, 11 8:34 PM
OMG Wow. Loved this game. I even forgave the sparkles in the advanced mode. There were some spots where I actually jumped in my seat, it freaked me out!!

Nice graphics, lovely rainy sounds, gentle music and then it builds like in a horror movie until BAM! LOL

Loved the ending too!

Highly recommend!
Shasta

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on Oct 17, 11 7:29 PM
I found the game okay, but I had to turn the music off. It really got to me and I couldn't focus on the game.
Lots of back and forth too. Not my favorite but I managed to get through 1 1/2 times anyways. I rate this a

Tailteann
Clownfish
Clownfish
584 Posts

[Post New]by Tailteann on Oct 23, 11 9:35 AM
I loved this game! I played it on a dreary, rainy October day and the atmosphere of the game reflected that perfectly, it was almost a full immersion experience, lol.

This game has so much going for it: from the gorgeous graphics (it reminded me a little of The Lost Crown) to the creepy mystery story and wonderful unfolding adventure game play and tasks, good HOG scenes, features like the flash light, etc. Definitely worth at least a trial.

I checked out the bonus content online and it provided a fuller and more complete ending to the mystery; but the SE is still quite a great gaming experience and I'm not disappointed at all.

Go to: