CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Chronicles: Betrayals of Love

[Post New]by CiChDa on May 1, 11 2:17 PM
As most have said, Good game. Some items in the ****'s were hard to find. Had to break down and use the hint button on occasion. Music was a nice background. Graphics were great! I agree about having a good pair of sneakers. It was ok, I have to say when I needed to get something to arm myself - I chuckled. I am also going to comment on the fact that you can play the game without a walkthrough or SG. I only used the hint button 3 times for direction on what to do next, for the most part you can navigate with items in your inventory and remembering where it was needed. Thanks BF and Dev's, nice offering for us "fishies".

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on May 1, 11 2:38 PM
I guess this one isn't for me, after all. I liked the game play and the graphics are pretty well done but, unfortunately, the game runs slow and jerky so it's a no buy.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on May 1, 11 3:54 PM
I don't care for this IHOG. It's like the old style and didn't like the first Mystery Chronicles and don't like this one either.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on May 1, 11 4:20 PM
I'm not sure on this one... maybe pick it up to fill a card or when it hits DD or a sale. Not convinced it's worth full price (even though $6.99 is pretty cheap). As some others have said the scene's can be dark and have light filtering which is difficult to do well. I have a large monitor and even so objects were hard to find. I don't like it when devs use darkness or faded out graphics as a trick to hide things. It's annoying.

The mini-games are fun and unique... not the standard stuff... although some are old style they felt new since not many games include them. That was a nice surprise. The story is good but nothing special. I didn't see the need for the blue ! over the characters heads although that is standard mmo fare... there are just not enough people to get confused over who to talk to or when. And the sparkles for H0 scenes kind of annoyed me as in this type of game I'd rather click and explore to find them on my own.

Which brings me to another point... this is adventure game style but ihog play so you wander over a fairly large world with sometimes minimal (or nothing) to do on a particular screen. For games like this I'd MUCH prefer a map so you can click right to places you've already explored. I mean c'mon devs... you aren't fooling anyone by using the "lost factor" to make the game last longer. At least give players the choice... sparkles or not... map or not... it really matters since there are so many different styles of play and sometimes people would like to play a different way even if they normally love sparkles etc.

Maybe if there weren't so many great games waiting my review would be different...

himura
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by himura on May 1, 11 5:56 PM
I have played the demo 15 minutes.
First Hidden Object Scenes are difficult so I did enjoy.
But 2 mini games, Garden maze and Furniture moving are bad, why can't I control by WASD or arrowkeys. I'm fed up...

cagamenut
Guppy
Guppy
154 Posts

[Post New]by cagamenut on May 1, 11 7:49 PM
Bought if after 15 minutes Loved the first two puzzles, and found some of the hidden items to be rather difficult to find. Well hidden, but the hint button is responsive. Good thing the game doesn't have a penalty for over clicking or I would be in trouble! I'm a tad surprised that this wasn't a CE, and I would have bought it if it had been. I enjoyed the graphics and the story line. Even the hand drawn graphics are nice. The only problem I had was trying to figure out where to go next, after completing a room. In some cases, it was obvious but in others, certainly not. A map of the area, included in the game, would have been nice, but the hint button helped out there too. It also took me a long time to realize that going left would get me to the greenhouse and Botanist. I was pretty lost until then. No glitches or problems, and while I normally play the difficult mode, this was just difficult enough to satisfy that and it seems long enough. Happy camper

AnnieO_2424mad
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by AnnieO_2424mad on May 1, 11 8:32 PM
Tried 15 minutes of the demo and, while it looked like a good game with many areas to explore, I was really put off by the hidden object scenes. My eyes had to strain to find all the objects, so it just wasn't any fun.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on May 1, 11 8:40 PM
To begin with I was not impressed. You on are offered one difficulty level. As it turned out that's all you need on this one. As it was I had to use the hint from time to time just to figure out where to go next. I am tired and maybe not on my toes The hint does recharge quickly. The hidden object scenes I found a bit on the difficult side. Be prepared to do a lot of traveling. You wander everywhere and need to remember what you need in what room or area. The graphics were nice and the story seems okay.
There was a couple things I had to chuckle at. For example you find an invitation for a wedding held at 10:30 in the afternoon. Where I am from there is no 10:30 in the afternoon

All in all a good game if you don't get to irritated with all the back and forth. I still have 3 games to finish but will get this one at some point.

My advice is try before you buy. This won't be for everyone.

P.S. There are some really different mini games in this. Nice change but, again, on the difficult side for some of them.

Edited on 05/01/2011 at 8:41:45 PM PST

snoopy13
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by snoopy13 on May 1, 11 9:22 PM
Looks like a great game except that you can possibly finish it in 2 hours? Way too short.

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on May 1, 11 10:30 PM
Hi all.

I have now finished this game & it took me 4-5 hours in total, may be a tad longer.

I think I only used the hint button once may be twice in the object scenes, Yes the objects can be difficult to find but once the eye spots them it stands out as clear as day.

I had a go at all the mini puzzles & persevered with all except one.

I did use a hint for direction once & it turned out I should have been in the only place I hadn't revisited LOL. Thank heavens for sparkles LOL.

I would say I am an experienced player if not very fast (nor good) & if I had rushed through this beauty to finish in 2 hours I could not have got my enjoyment out of it.

Jojo

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 2, 11 6:32 AM
I didn´t like the first "Mystery Chronicles" game, and although this one looks better, I am not happy with it. During the demo, in most H0 scenes I could barely find any of the objects (unless I was using the HINT button or would have taken up a lot of time looking). The objects were very well hidden and many of the H0 scenes were very messy - which I don`t like at all.

I also got fed up with 2 consecutive puzzles of the same type (the arcs), which didn`t work for me (and for others from what I read). Couldn`t do them because I couldn´t move any of the arcs. And since I am not sure how many of those puzzles are ahead, and whether they will work or not, I just couldn´t care less anymore after I played the demo (didn`t even finish the hour).

This game is not for me, I am sad to say.

johnandi5
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by johnandi5 on May 2, 11 9:21 AM
Well I think I would have enjoyed this game much more without the hand holding as has been mentioned above. You get to a scene and before you can even use your brain the things you have to collect or inspect are highlighted. Could understand the sparkles if after you had been in the scene for a while you hadn't detected it or even given us the option for a harder mode where the sparkles were eliminated. This is a no buy for me unfortunately. Liked the setting and the idea of the game but too much hand holding.

cagamenut
Guppy
Guppy
154 Posts

[Post New]by cagamenut on May 2, 11 9:56 AM
Yesterday, I had posted that I really like this game, and I do, but.....it ends very abruptly and I was disappointed in that. It seems to start out better than it ended. Seemed to have great potential but never managed to achieve it. Not sorry I bought it tho since it is just confusing enough to keep me going.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on May 2, 11 9:59 AM
i enjoy this series for nothing less than it makes me think 'whodunnit?'

this episode is nothing short of a top notch mystery... and right away, at least half a dozen theories of the crime popped into my head... i have to say that i'm leaning towards the count [especially since he's mysteriously absent very conveniently absent, i should say] and have no doubts that the fisherman had absolutely nothing to do with this crime... silly cops! let the real detectives take care of it!

the graphics are much improved over older episodes, leaving the hidden object scenes very crisp... there is also a new innovative trend in puzzles/mini-games that are sprinkled throughout the game... and for those of you craving adventure - there's a lot of touring the castle and traipsing all over creation trying to find items that you can use for tasks you're looking to complete...

as for the suspects, there is no end to the suspicion and calculations... breaking it down to the essential triad, however [motive, means and opportunity] i'm still leaning towards the count... until we can find him and figure out just what he's been doing all this time, he's my number one guy... remember, in a crime of passion, it's always the husband!

the story is what will grab you if you let it... give it a whirl and sink your teeth into a really great mystery... who do you think will come out as the culprit? or was it a case of accidental death and disturbing a corpse?

i'm going to find out

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on May 2, 11 10:02 AM
p.s. - i found the arc puzzles very stimulating and had no problem executing them... one key thing to add - the golden arc in the second puzzle does NOT figure into the solution... just get the little silver arc into the big silver arc...

good luck

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on May 2, 11 10:14 AM
I like this game - it has good graphic, gameplay and puzzles. Its a buy for me

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on May 2, 11 11:47 AM
Good points and bad points. Will boil down to a personal decision DL and try for yourself. It's a go for my taste. Better than most of the crap foisted upon us lately.
MY OPINION!

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on May 2, 11 1:23 PM
I found this game to have mini games quite difficult to complete, and at least 1 sometimes 2 of the items we so small or hidden to well that a hint was necessary. I would have liked the game except for those reasons. A no buy for me.

9gamer5
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by 9gamer5 on May 2, 11 5:37 PM
Played the demo. The game had some interesting features. But on the whole, not crazy about this game. Didn't like the mini games--skipped over most of them. Too much work to find little scraps of paper along the way. Keep hoping for a game that is buyable.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on May 2, 11 5:51 PM
outside of not being able to find the small well camouflaged objects in the junk piles, I like this game. Infairness, these old eyes aren't what they used to be, so I made an appointment with the eye doctor to see if these HOGs will get any easier

Go to: