Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Secrets of the Dark: Temple of Night Collector's Edition

[Post New]by lilgirl73 on Jun 17, 11 12:48 PM
Ok, here's my biggest gripe & it's not necessarily specific to this game. Does anyone else notice that a lot of games are now "collector's edition" & cost more? Seriously, it feels like there's a lot less uses for my game club credit per month lately. I feel like it's a way to charge more than $6.99 per game. Personally, i don't care about wall paper & it seems like the games themselves are shorter, with the additional being "bonus play". I just wish BF would go back to the $6.99 & stop with the massive amount of collector's editions. Just my opinion.

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Secrets of the Dark: Temple of Night Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Eoarod on Jun 17, 11 2:43 PM
Played the demo for a bit find myself liking it. On the one hand I do find myself falling into the "I like CE's to be really loooong" group - and there seems to be a question on this (though reports of 3.5 hours lead me to believe it may be good length) - but then I remember quantity really isn't quality (though I will probably never think ERS makes a long enough game - I'm always bummed when those end )

This one seems to be unique enough to make it intriguing - bumbling about & getting stuck can be half the fun (though too much is frustrating). Like the light/dark and very open feel (so far) of being able to wander aimlessly - I'm not a straight line person Also lovely graphics so far!! As for "darkness" I love say...Redrum and Puppy Sanctuary equally so I'm not one to chime in on that debate I always turn the music waaaay down (to just audible) so it really never annoys me - so guess I can't weigh in on that either. I'm so helpful.

It's likely a buy for me - but I'm also a CE sucker I do love extra play!! Wish there were achievements - but high scores are nifty in lieu of!

Lastly - anyone else read Stephen King's Desperation?? TAK!!! I'm just saying...

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by mycatluna on Jun 17, 11 3:07 PM
sunnyglow wrote:Loved the game. Sooooo tired of all the complaints from ...
1. Don't think it is long enough for the money. So don't buy it and wait for the SE It is 0ver 500,000 bytes so it is definitely not a short game.

Hi Sunnyglow-just wanted to comment on a few comments you made. First the above. If developers would like us to shell out $13.99 and call it a Collector's Edition, it is exepected from the customer (us) that the game will be lengthy, otherwise, it should NOT be sold for double the price. What are we paying extra for if the length is not above averaget?

Second point is that the file size often has little to do with the length of the game itself. Just because it has a large download does not necessarily mean it is a long game. File size is determined by a range of factors including the game engine used, graphic style, video clips, voice-overs, programming and a whole host of other technical choices, So large file size does NOT always equal LONG GAME. It's important to note that or one can be easily deceived.

4. HOGS too blurry. The graphics on this game and the CE's are light years beyond what most HOGs have. It is hard to provide clear graphics which screens vary in size and clarity.

This is in fact, not true. Developers do have the ability to make crystal clear graphics that ALL gamers can enjoy by offering a choice of full-screen, wide-screen or windowed, or if they want to get really fancy, resolution choices as well. Many developers have successfully done this so that great graphics can be enjoyed by all players.

5. Game won't load, stalls, flickers. These mechanical problems probably result from YOUR OWN computer and not the game itself. So... again, if it won't work on your computer because of software glitches, don't buy the game.

This is not often the case, which is why there is always a technical problems thread. If the game is causing issues on someone's PC and others are experiencing it, there is a good chance that it IS the game, and an update will become available to fix the problem. It happens quite frequently. So people have valid complaints in this department.

tofinofish
Shark
Shark
13,738 Posts

[Post New]by tofinofish on Jun 17, 11 3:46 PM
tofinofish wrote:
finished the demo earlier this afternoon, kinda reminded me of a certain mystery tracker where the kids go missing anf leave tapes everywhere.

lunachan wrote: "Umm..that was Mystery Case Files ire Grove , where kids go missing and you find their tapes-just letting ya know"

Thank you lunachan i realized this after I posted and was just too dang lazy to change it. thanks for clearing that up for everyone.

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Jun 17, 11 6:17 PM
Well since most points I agree with are already here I have just one comment. Why oh Why do dev's put WIDESCREEN in the options menu then NOT LET IT WORK! I always go to options first as I have a widescreen computer. I am always happy to see that option, but am saddened that they rarely, if ever work. It seems like the game (any game) just opens widescreen if it is gonna, but never does when it is listed in the options screen! Very disappointing. JMO of course!

Lean

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Jun 17, 11 6:24 PM
Wow! It's the first time that I play a CE for whole 2 days!!!

Finished the game, and the Strategy Guide is 138 pages long!!! Usually it is 60-70 pages.

The game has two bonus chapters, both quite long, and with a lot of going to and fro. I skipped 80% of the puzzles.

If you look for length - this is the game you should get!!! Thanks developers!!!

Happy gaming.

leyahn
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by leyahn on Jun 17, 11 8:32 PM
I was enjoying this game until I got the police station glitch. While I did find it easy compared to some I have played, I liked the graphics, found the music unobtrusive, liked the dark/light concept of parallel worlds. Really wanted to buy it.

Sigh, I hope they release an updated version that fixes the glitch that some of us got.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jun 18, 11 7:00 AM
Only 7 minutes left and the game stalled. Tried exit and start again, and all I got was a blank screen. Hmmmmmmmmm. Was unable to finish the trial game and am afraid to download and pay if it has a bad glitch. Was a fun game up until then, probably would have purchased it.

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Jun 18, 11 9:44 AM
I almost passed on this game because of all the negative comments even though I enjoyed the preview. I decided to ignore all the nay sayers, knowing that I always read the games are too short and/or too easy.

I purchased this game and LOVED IT! This game is NOT short. The only way this game could possibly be too short is if you skip all the mini games and use the walkthrough step by step. It took me 3 hours to play the last chapter alone. I didn't time myself but have been playing since it was released. Not every minute but more than several hours a day. There is a lot of detail in this game which I appreciate. I loved all the minigames. Some of them are very easy and some are quite hard. Some are different than I've seen before. I appreciate the work that went into this game and am really looking forward to the sequel. I didn't run into any of the glitches that other people have had but my computer is 4 years old and I'm still using vista. Perhaps it's a problem with the newer operating systems.

jsfurman
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

This game looks very familiar.

[Post New]by jsfurman on Jun 18, 11 10:18 AM
I swear I bought and played this SAME game about 6 mo-1 year ago from BFG. Was it marketed under a different name? Anyone else recall it?

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Jun 18, 11 10:22 AM
I am really enjoying this game. I was playing on advanced mode for the main game but it appears that the sparkles are back for the 1st. bonus game. I truly hope that this does not continue.
Please devs, if we start on advanced mode let us continue on it if we want to!

jawfish
Herring
Herring
349 Posts

[Post New]by jawfish on Jun 18, 11 3:24 PM
I love this game! It's much better than last week's Dracula Love Kills.

This is a polished, high quality game, like ERS games. I think the graphics are detailed and beautiful. I read some comments that it's a short game, it's about the same length as a ERS game. I didn't use any hints or the strategy guide and the main game took me a little less than 4 hours. It also has 2 bonus sections compared to the usual 1.

The puzzles are just the right difficulty for me. I play games to have fun, don't want anything too taxing because I don't have much time.

Rose151
Clownfish
Clownfish
520 Posts

[Post New]by Rose151 on Jun 18, 11 10:43 PM
I like this game because you get 2 bonus games, not just one! Certainly worth the CE price!

AeronAoife
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by AeronAoife on Jun 18, 11 11:14 PM
I enjoyed this game and the demo took me 58 minutes to complete. I had no issues with the game play and am one of those that don't mind wearing out a few pairs of sneakers in a game.

I only had to check the SG once or twice and only skipped one mini-game (the second drawer one). I'm still considering whether to purchase it or not. I'd probably snap it up if I could use my game club codes to get it. We'll see ...

[Post New]by pedro91 on Jun 19, 11 3:39 AM
Most games i have played continue where you left off if you exit the game but this one you have to start at the very beginning again and this is VERY ANNOYING!!!

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Jun 19, 11 6:06 AM
pedro91 wrote:Most games i have played continue where you left off if you exit the game but this one you have to start at the very beginning again and this is VERY ANNOYING!!!
I had no problem with that.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Jun 19, 11 6:08 AM
I have changed my mind. I did't want to buy this game, but I am glad I bought it. This is a great game with lots of puzzles. I played now for 2 days and start now with the first bonus game.

Kilan8
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by Kilan8 on Jun 19, 11 8:36 AM
This game is awesome. The games are a nice challenge and I enjoyed the scene changes. The bonus games (yes games) make it well worth the price. I hope there's a sequel or two.

Tundei
Clownfish
Clownfish
653 Posts

[Post New]by Tundei on Jun 19, 11 8:58 AM
I really liked the demo, and thinking about buying it, but first I have one question please: Is there a no sparkle option in the bonus game too? I hate it when I play in advance mode and the bonus part is easy mode only. I never finished Raincliff because of it. Thanx

lunachan
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by lunachan on Jun 19, 11 10:38 PM
tofinofish wrote:tofinofish wrote:
finished the demo earlier this afternoon, kinda reminded me of a certain mystery tracker where the kids go missing anf leave tapes everywhere.

lunachan wrote: "Umm..that was Mystery Case Files ire Grove , where kids go missing and you find their tapes-just letting ya know"

Thank you lunachan i realized this after I posted and was just too dang lazy to change it. thanks for clearing that up for everyone.

S'ok, hun I was worried I sounded like a total tool for pointing it out MCF games (but still can't finish map in 13 skulls, even after practically 1/2 pond pm me) so yea I'm weird.O
Reg SOTD:

Oooo...PIayed demo & want to buy this so bad! I had no glitches,etc on win vista just on the fence..still

Go to: