elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

Re:Review for Nightmare Realm Collector's Edition

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Jul 11, 11 3:14 AM
LadyGecko wrote:
Kelvarda wrote:Story: Father, 4 yr old daughter and Uncle travelling in car......

"Uncle"??? Nobody that THAT naive.

I loved the opening, but after confirming that I was not mistaken, I will not be purchasing the game.

Hey LadyGecko--Off-topic here for just a bit--I certainly respect your right (maybe "privilege" is a better word) to voice an opinion, but implying that a reviewer (Kelvarda) might be "naive" is inappropriate. How did you "confirm" your suspicion, BTW? Do you have a hotline to the developers? Well, there IS one, FYI--"Hello From Developers" right here in BFG's forums--please check it out--maybe they'll clarify your "relationship" concerns.

I think you're missing out on one of the best games of the year because of your perception, but then, to each, his or her own.

Regards, elldee

lakegurl
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by lakegurl on Jul 11, 11 4:58 PM
I do hate to give any attention to bigotry or pre-conceived assumptions about adultery etc, but perhaps this will clear up this sad turn the “review” posts have taken…

Had those making comments actually played the game before making assumptions, this would have been known, but I offer this for those who will hopefully play in the future…

When you go back to Emily’s mom and dad’s bedroom to pick up the first-aid kit (in order to help Emily’s uncle- YES, UNCLE), you find the newspaper article/obituary for Emily’s father David describing the accident. Here is an excerpt-

“The other passengers were his 3 year old daughter Emily, his wife Kathleen, 36, and his brother, Peter Foster, 45.”

I hope that settles this nonsense. I only interject so that this game will be “judged” and reviewed on the merits of the game alone, not on mis-information, speculation and bias.

Btw- how lovely for a little girl who has lost her father to have another positive male influence in her life- someone that will love her, care for her, protect her, and keep her father’s memory alive for her. Why wouldn’t our minds go there first! Geesh.

[Post New]by LadyXXXHolic on Jul 12, 11 1:50 AM
Nice artwork but there were just to many unanswered questions. I'm hoping for a sequel to explain more but I'm not holding my breath. Pretty good game though I wish we had more fantasy lands to explore and characters to interact with.

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

[Post New]by Beingknown on Jul 12, 11 12:04 PM
This is a very enjoyable large file (464,667 K adventure game. It has beautiful, crisp graphics, an interesting story line, entertaining puzzles, lovely music, and lots of interesting places to discover, unlock, explore and then return to later for further actions.

There are not too many hidden object scenes, (of which I am not a big fan, so just a few was the right number for me). I found the hidden object scenes to be well defined, with objects identifiable and clear enough to not cause undue eyestrain.

Throughout the game there are a nice variety of interesting puzzles to solve (for which you usually had to find missing pieces to play and for which you often have clues or answers in your journal). I found the puzzles all solvable by either the clues in your journal or within the puzzle itself, but if you do find them frustrating, there is an option to skip the puzzle.

In addition to a “Hint” button, there is also a map in your journal which lets you know where you are, as well as which areas currently have actions available for you to perform.

Throughout the game, there are 33 origami pieces to collect within the scenes (one per scene).

The “Collectors” edition of this game has an additional chapter of game play available after you complete the first game. All in all, this game kept me interested, entertained and engaged for around 8 hours (maybe even a bit longer, counting the extra game).

I highly recommend this game.

[Post New]by LoveThemGaDawgs on Jul 12, 11 5:54 PM
I've always been a Nancy Drew lover since they first came out, so yeah I'm up there in age.. Anyway, I started liking anything to do with Investigation, crime, with not a lot of hidden object. Luckily I came across this, "AWESOME" game Nightmare Realm Collector's Edition. This is by far one of the best if not THE BEST games I've played in a VERY long time. I play a lot of games and I do mean a lot, and take my word for it. It is worth every penny and them some. If you haven't at least tried it out, well you are passing up on an awesome game, and those are hard to come by. The ones with just a little bit of every thing to keep you playing so long, and before you know it hours have past. Yep it's one of those. Well thanks for reading my first post. I'm new on this posting thing and trying to find new friends so if you'd like to chat about different games and share some favorites feel free to contact me. Have a good one!!
Robin C. Go Georgia Dawgs!!

[Post New]by LoveThemGaDawgs on Jul 12, 11 5:57 PM
Beingknown wrote:This is a very enjoyable large file (464,667 K adventure game. It has beautiful, crisp graphics, an interesting story line, entertaining puzzles, lovely music, and lots of interesting places to discover, unlock, explore and then return to later for further actions.

There are not too many hidden object scenes, (of which I am not a big fan, so just a few was the right number for me). I found the hidden object scenes to be well defined, with objects identifiable and clear enough to not cause undue eyestrain.

Throughout the game there are a nice variety of interesting puzzles to solve (for which you usually had to find missing pieces to play and for which you often have clues or answers in your journal). I found the puzzles all solvable by either the clues in your journal or within the puzzle itself, but if you do find them frustrating, there is an option to skip the puzzle.

In addition to a “Hint” button, there is also a map in your journal which lets you know where you are, as well as which areas currently have actions available for you to perform.

Throughout the game, there are 33 origami pieces to collect within the scenes (one per scene).

The “Collectors” edition of this game has an additional chapter of game play available after you complete the first game. All in all, this game kept me interested, entertained and engaged for around 8 hours (maybe even a bit longer, counting the extra game).

I highly recommend this game.

[Post New]by LoveThemGaDawgs on Jul 12, 11 6:06 PM
I thought it was funny that you and I wrote our opinion within like 3 ,minutes apart and pretty much had the same thing to say about the game. If you read my post, I'd like to keep in touch. Sounds like we have the same taste, and I would love to chat about other games that you like and vise/versa. Anway, I'm Robin and I'm from Georgia. Married with two grown Children, and a Grand-Daughter. I'm a young Grand-Mom...lol So if you'd like to keep in touch please feel free to do so. Have a great Evening.

Take Care,

Robin C.

[Post New]by LoveThemGaDawgs on Jul 12, 11 6:36 PM
elldee2728 wrote:
LadyGecko wrote:
Kelvarda wrote:Story: Father, 4 yr old daughter and Uncle travelling in car......

"Uncle"??? Nobody that THAT naive.

I loved the opening, but after confirming that I was not mistaken, I will not be purchasing the game.

Hey LadyGecko--Off-topic here for just a bit--I certainly respect your right (maybe "privilege" is a better word) to voice an opinion, but implying that a reviewer (Kelvarda) might be "naive" is inappropriate. How did you "confirm" your suspicion, BTW? Do you have a hotline to the developers? Well, there IS one, FYI--"Hello From Developers" right here in BFG's forums--please check it out--maybe they'll clarify your "relationship" concerns.

I think you're missing out on one of the best games of the year because of your perception, but then, to each, his or her own.

Regards, elldee

[Post New]by LoveThemGaDawgs on Jul 12, 11 7:00 PM
lakegurl wrote:I do hate to give any attention to bigotry or pre-conceived assumptions about adultery etc, but perhaps this will clear up this sad turn the “review” posts have taken…

Had those making comments actually played the game before making assumptions, this would have been known, but I offer this for those who will hopefully play in the future…

When you go back to Emily’s mom and dad’s bedroom to pick up the first-aid kit (in order to help Emily’s uncle- YES, UNCLE), you find the newspaper article/obituary for Emily’s father David describing the accident. Here is an excerpt-

“The other passengers were his 3 year old daughter Emily, his wife Kathleen, 36, and his brother, Peter Foster, 45.”

I hope that settles this nonsense. I only interject so that this game will be “judged” and reviewed on the merits of the game alone, not on mis-information, speculation and bias.

Btw- how lovely for a little girl who has lost her father to have another positive male influence in her life- someone that will love her, care for her, protect her, and keep her father’s memory alive for her. Why wouldn’t our minds go there first! Geesh.

[Post New]by LoveThemGaDawgs on Jul 12, 11 7:07 PM
This is to LakeGurl!! I loved your reply to LadyGecko!! Very well said, Just like a Lady, witty, to the point, with a little bit of sass. Thanks for making my day. Some people are just so naive. I LOVE the game. I'm still not finished. I've been playing it for about 4 hours today. LOL Have a nice Evening.

Robin C./ Georgia[b]

lunachan
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by lunachan on Jul 12, 11 7:51 PM
Love you guys but the bickering really puts me off playing---I read reviews to get an idea whether I want to spend , not read a bunch of back and forth. Just give your opinion, please don't go too much into storyline (ruins it for others) and pm someone if you've got a specific ? or rant (that will give story away here). Sigh...I'm probably going to buy but this has got to stop....Not just here but in all game reviews.
Please don't go off on me, jmho.

dlb628
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by dlb628 on Jul 14, 11 12:34 PM
Bonus game:

The bonus area took me a couple of hours to complete. I never watch the clock so I can't say for sure. Still, it's longer than average, and quite well done. My favorite thing is that it actually has something to do with the plot. If you wait for the SE, you'll still get an ending that makes sense and is reasonably satisfying. However, this really fleshes out one of the characters and adds depth to the game. I like that this is not a completely random bonus area, but that it actually has something to do with the game you just played.

Great game. I'm glad the bonus area was not a letdown.

Edited on 07/14/2011 at 12:47:04 PM PST

dogfish12
Stingray
Stingray
4,579 Posts

[Post New]by dogfish12 on Jul 14, 11 2:03 PM
Good length, phantastic graphics and some lovely added touches as in the "eyes" puzzle within one HOG, wind chimes that work, multiple uses for some objects, and not just where you find them, some really inventive gameplay.

S_Sorcha
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by S_Sorcha on Jul 15, 11 10:10 AM
I know I'm seriously late to the party, but I beta'd this game waaaay back in October of 2010 under a different name (Magic Story), so it took me a minute to realize it. I loved it then and I love it now! Couldn't wait to buy it, so I did! Enjoy.

~~Swim long and prosper fishies

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on Jul 18, 11 9:49 AM
One of the cutest things was Felix attending the birthday party. Loved it. LOL.

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on Jul 18, 11 1:07 PM
Oooops!! I'm sorry.

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Jul 20, 11 9:13 AM
Finally had time to play this game and really love it. The artwork is just beautiful - I love the magical feel the artwork portrays when an area is "renewed". I can really escape from the world when I play this game (which is why I play games in the first place). Another winner from this developer.

P.S. I had the pleasure of meeting the dev team recently and they REALLY care about pleasing their customers. It was great talking to them.

katiepops
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by katiepops on Jul 22, 11 1:13 PM
Edited for wrong game review. LOL
I liked this ok. I completed the trial, not sure if I am going to buy or not. I like the storyline but it has already frustrated me a few times. I may save this for a buy later on when there isn't anything else.

Edited on 07/22/2011 at 2:03:03 PM PST

[Post New]by yodamjh on Jul 25, 11 11:10 AM
What a beautiful game! I play a lot of HOG games and what I liked most about this one, was that it wasn't too hard or too terribly simple to get through. I like a good challenge, but some of these games can be pretty frustrating! The Drawn games (since there are so many similarities to those in this) are fantastic, but the puzzles can be quite difficult sometimes. This game was a nice change for the genre.

I would've liked maybe one more illustration to enter. I know we get the bonus content, but instead of having to backtrack and play some of the hidden object scenes again, it would've been nice to go to a different world and have fresh ones. This is a very minor gripe though.

SPOILER ALERT: (not sure if this really qualifies as a spoiler, but just in case) I am really confused why the image of the old woman is used to promote this game. I was expecting her to have a MUCH bigger role, but she only shows up in the bonus content. I was kinda confused by this.

And also, what happened to all of the other children that had records in the box with Emily's? Were they all taken and never heard from again...

All in all though, A+!

CazGamer
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by CazGamer on Jul 26, 11 7:43 AM
Excellent game. Loved the graphics and the creativity that went into the game. Especially liked the credits, believe it or not. Loved the shadow play. Yes, it is similar to Drawn, but much brighter and more whimsical. Would definitely buy more from these creators.

Go to: