elizacron
Guppy
Guppy
148 Posts

Re:Reviews for Hidden Expedition: The Uncharted Islands Collector's Edition

[Post New]by elizacron on Aug 16, 11 12:10 AM
I just made it to the second location, have already been playing for almost 3 hours (!) and I had to pop on to say this is, hands down, one of the best games of this year, maybe even making a top 10 best casual games of all time!

The artwork is stunning, graphics clear as a bell (I play on my 42 inch HDTV - have my PC hooked up to it), music is lovely and appropriate and changes with the scenes. Love the character design - the hand-painted touch is very much appreciated.

My husband is an artist and works for a game company and he was blown away. That is saying a lot because he does not game at all besides the occasional here and there where I get him to sit with me and help with tougher puzzles or hidden items. He sat with me for 2 hours and had to make himself get up to quit when it was time to head to bed.

I think this game is right up there with the MCF games. In fact,(warning: possible unpopular opinion coming ) I prefer this game to The 13th Skull which I thought, although well-made, had waaaay too much hand-holding. I felt like I just spent all my time clicking only where they told me to without any chance for individual exploration.

This game is wonderful - very much more adventure than HOG, I've not had one HOG scene repeat yet - LOVE that. Also love the puzzles and the fact that BF took the time to make the HOG scenes varied. Oh my goodness the one in the crate was darling!

I am an old-school adventure gamer - used to play those lovely games that would take weeks to complete and had you totally immersed in the plot, characters, etc. I feel like that with this offering. What a joy! Thanks

Edited on 08/16/2011 at 12:11:39 AM PST

elizacron
Guppy
Guppy
148 Posts

[Post New]by elizacron on Aug 16, 11 12:12 AM
Oh, and I forgot - although I love the dark and eerie titles very much, I found this to be a refreshing chance. Still a mystery-type theme, but certainly not as dark as many of the current quality offerings.

So far, I don't like the game

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Aug 16, 11 1:31 AM
I have only been playing the game a short while, but wanted to post my initial comments now. I will post a full review after I finish the game. I seem to be in the minority here, but so far I really don't like this game at all.

Possible Spoiler Alert

Towards the beginning of the game there was one of the all-time worst HOG scenes I have ever played. It must have taken me 20-25 minutes to complete it, but it was not fun. You open a crate and have to find 4 items at a time. If you click on an item that is not one of the current 4 items on the list, it says something like you don't need that object right now. There must have been about 40 objects you had to find, 4 at a time. Then, many of the items that you find go into your inventory, but they are not for later use in the game. You need basically all the items that you find in order to find the other items in the HOG scene. Then after you find all 40 items and basically exhaust your inventory doing so, you get one item for your inventory. There was actually a Skip Button for this HOG scene, but I didn't use it.

There was one where you had to find 29 pairs of related items. Horrible. I had trouble finding them and must have used about 20 hints to complete it. Then the mini-games were different, but I didn't like most of them, although a few were okay.

Then, there are 3 Tabs at the top of the Inventory tray: One for the items you have to find, one for your actual inventory, and one for your objectives. The tabs are very dark. I found it very annoying having to click on the Inventory Tab to find an item I had to use to find another item in a HOG scene and then click on the Find tab to continue the HOG scene. Very inelegant for me.

The good news is that there is no random-click penalty and you have 5 hints that you can use in a row and after the 5th one, you just have to wait for a very short time for it to recharge. So basically, you have unlimited hints. The point is that I just kept clicking on hint after hint to find the items, but that's no fun and not the way the game should be played.

I'll finish the game and see if my opinion changes. But so far this game is a big disappointment for me.

Edited on 08/16/2011 at 1:41:29 AM PST

sherisgirl
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by sherisgirl on Aug 16, 11 4:44 AM

Ive just played the trial I became quite frustrated playing it I will not buy the CE version, but wait for the SE to come out and give it another go at least I will get an hours worth, didnt get far as spent alot of time doing the box puzzle getting the hang of how these games work,

Im off to try the one before this.

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Aug 16, 11 5:48 AM
i'm disapointed with the bonus level!nothing to do with the story!does not add anything to the game and is very short!those who are waiting for SE have made good choice!

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Aug 16, 11 6:38 AM
I can't really explain it..but I really don't much like this game. I hate being negative..especially with all the trouble we've had getting games to run and all...and this one runs fine, so far. But I bought it and kinda went.ugh-ick inside. That make sense?
Roaming around,really not sure if I'm going the right way, great scenes and graphics but seems there is little interaction..altho a LOT of paintings and scenes. The mini games are not easy..if you don't get them right right away..your hosed. They are multi=leveled. That is all fine, and I like a challenge but I don't like it when I have to hit SKIP after 20 minutes of wrestling with a game. I also don't like to have to hit HINT all the time. Either my vision has gone to pot in one day, or these HOG scenes are hard to see. Especially the underwater ones..I always hate going underwater. Anyone else get the heebeegeebees when the water level cam e up and filled the screen?
ANyway, hope th rest of you are having a better time..I wish I hadn't bought the CE...but live and learn.
kris

Ismene
Flounder
Flounder
2,095 Posts

[Post New]by Ismene on Aug 16, 11 6:48 AM
Based on the demo, I think this one is a buy. I'll wait a couple days and see if a patch comes through for the GM first (I put my games on an external drive).

Just a couple comments for the development team -- I know the island is supposed to be cloud-covered, but a little more contrast would be helpful for your older players. Also, that hard-coded "head to the purchase page" in the demo? You are aware that not everyone has their computer connected to the Internet 24/7, right? This isn't helping the GM's performance problems.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 16, 11 10:03 AM
I just finished the game, and I absolutely loved the main game. I loved everything about it.

However, the bonus game was very disappointing. I am not a fan of engine rooms of either ships or submarines, and having to do the main part in the engine room isn`t my kind of fun.
Also, I thought that the whole of the bonus game was rather a let-down after the fantastic main game, and doesn´t exactly add anything to the story that you can`t live without.

lionscat
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by lionscat on Aug 16, 11 12:37 PM
This is a great game. Yes, the bonus chapter is short, but I still had a fun time playing the whole thing. Very enjoyable.

dogma45
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by dogma45 on Aug 16, 11 3:07 PM
Played the Demo and loved it and bought it..waiting for it to download now. Nice game clear graphics and the hints work great.
thanks BFG!

moonladydi
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,113 Posts

[Post New]by moonladydi on Aug 16, 11 4:27 PM
<clipped>
msmithnc wrote:
This game also does something that I find very annoying at best - it opens the BFG page for the game when you quit. Since I was having trouble with the game I exited and restarted several times, so I ended up with the same page open 4 times! There is a perfectly good "BUY" button in the game manager - this time-consuming opening of the page is entirely unnecessary! We don't need to go to that page unless we want to download the game, right? And since we've just been playing the game, obvoiusly we don't need to download it!

It's nothing to do with the game. It's all the fault of the new Game Mangler. When you quit any game it will default to open the GM every time.

Based on the Demo and the Reviews here, I'm waiting for the SE.

polarglen
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by polarglen on Aug 16, 11 7:14 PM
Guess I'm all alone out here, but I'm not a fan of this game and won't be a purchaser. I was excited when I saw it was an HE game -- liked the others. But this one just isn't my cup of tea.

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Aug 16, 11 9:34 PM
This is a mini review as I bought this without trying the trial - I was just that excited!! Just got my toe into this (stoopid work & family obligations have ever so been in between me & quality gaming ) - love it so far - just soooo pretty - such a long way from Titanic where you had to wait and wait for one object to clear before you could even click the next!

But - my favorite thing so far (which is not far...) - just about died when I saw "Skunk Cabbage" on the first **** scene! I'm sorry to those who aren't from the Pacific Northwest - but for those of us who are that was just too awesome an ode to the area we call home! I love ALL games & love many developers - but it's neat to have a "home grown" game now and again - one where I get the "in" jokes So a big virtual hug to whichever artist/developer tossed that search item in (though I'm sure there will be umbrellas and bells in there somewhere LOL). Thumbs up all around on this latest chapter!!

[Post New]by xiaojiemkyuu on Aug 17, 11 6:01 AM
[removed by moderator]

Edited on 08/17/2011 at 9:26:37 AM PST

No Ads

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Aug 17, 11 8:43 AM
@xiaojiemkyuu:

You're not allowed to put ads on here. I'm sure one of the Mods will delete it.

I Didn't Like the Game At All

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Aug 17, 11 9:03 AM
Well, I finished the game and the verdict is: Two Thumbs down! I see a lot of people love the game, but I didn't like it at all. I posted my initial reaction in a prior post and my opinion has not changed. The game simply didn't appeal to me. The funny thing is that I liked all the prior Hidden Expedition games better than this one.

Even though many people love the game. you will note that it has its detractors and I agree with what they said. The multi-level mini-games were a turn-off for me. Yes, it was good that they had detailed instructions for each game, but the mini-games were too complicated for me. The sign of a good game is: Easy to Learn; Hard to Master. For me, I had to read the instructions for the mini-games numerous times just to figure out what I was supposed to be doing. I love a challenge, but for me the games weren't challenging; they were tedious and frustrating. Their motto is: Hard to Learn; Hard to Master.

Here's an example. This game has 3 stages. Look at the 4 big balls and click on them. Then note their symbols. Then rotate the 8 smaller balls so that each big ball has the correct symbol on each side of it. After you complete stage one, then 32 pebbles will appear in the middle of the circle. Now, move and rotate these pebbles so that each of the 8 smaller balls has the correct TWO symbols on both its left and right. After this stage, then a keyboard will appear. Type in the correct code to complete stage 3 and the mini-game. HUH?

The graphics were okay, but they are standard fare for all the newer games. Nothing special. I also didn't like that there was no talking. There were many HOG scenes and they were all tough. I had to use too many hints.

The funny thing is the part of the game I liked the best was the Bonus Chapter, although it was very short. The Bonus Chapter was out of the water.

It seems that there is no middle ground. You will probably either love the game or hate it. For me, I hated it.

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Aug 17, 11 4:47 PM
I just finished the game and I must say, I enjoyed the main game, but the bonus game wasn't that great. I loved reading all the journal pages and and newspapers. They were so funny. I read the credits at the end. After getting stuck and needing the strategy guide, I just wanted to say a big thank you to Margie B! I will play again in a few weeks. By that time I will forget what I did and the game will be new. Happy gaming to all!

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Aug 17, 11 7:41 PM
Review for so far in the game...I'm loving it! I am totally stuck right now though! I want to try to find my way without looking at the strategy guide...if I can! Didn't find an answer in the forum yet so I'll keep running around trying to find my way! This is one great game!!!

Better not be any spiders! LOL!

[Post New]by pinmom on Aug 18, 11 8:30 AM
Seems like lots of these games have spiders somewhere. Pinmom doesn't like spiders, Pinmom wants a holster to carry lots of spider killer, Pinmom has nightmares about spiders! LOL!
Seriously, it does sound like n interesting game so I will give it a try! But just saying, no spiders please!

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Aug 18, 11 9:06 AM
well, the "box" really sucked me in... the puzzles in this one are certainly varied and borrow from every teaser game i've played and then twisted into something new... really amazing!

i thought it would be just another hidden expedition game... a good HOG, but what could it offer that would make it worthy of CE status? and, boy, did it measure up! there's a LOT more adventure in this one, like they've been taking steps up with every game and then this time they just took a giant leap! i own two or three of the others and this one just blows them all away... personally, i feel like 'someone' has been listening in the pond and i think this time they got it right!

the graphics are absolutely lovely! and i love "chet" or whatever that little boys name happens to be.. he's so cute and so 'tough' i just want to smother him up with hugs! the scenes aren't piled with one hidden object scene after another - they're more spread out and make you feel like you're doing something more than digging through junkpiles the music is light and i found that i wasn't rushed or distracted, but rather simply immersed in the story...

and i wouldn't worry about not having played any of the earlier games as this one is strong enough to stand on its own... now, if you happen to have that earlier experience, you will probably enjoy this one all the more!

all in all, it's a must see! check it out! you won't be disappointed!

Go to: