elhar02
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

Re:Reviews for Twisted Lands: Insomniac Collector's Edition

[Post New]by elhar02 on Aug 20, 11 11:29 AM
Loved the first game so bought the CE after a brief trial & enjoyed it from start to finish. Yes, the story is a bit confusing but we are dealing with Zombies here!!! (same as the first game). I can't say that I thought it was that easy and did refer to the SG from time to time but then I guess I'm not as bright as others when it comes to these games & I do prefer something that I can do mostly by myself with a bit of thinking. When it comes to a comparison between Asylum games I would take this one over F.A.C.E.S. any day since all you did in that game was go up & down in an elevator & push buttons all to face the same "ugly" scenes. At least in this game there were various areas to explore and not all were drab & dreary at least for me. I enjoyed the puzzles -- not too hard for my pea brain to solve -- and the hint system was terrific. Can't comment on the music since I don't play with sound on in any game -- I prefer the TV going in the background

Am now ready to try the Bonus Game. Thanks to the developers for this game which I totally had fun with.

[Post New]by MyTFineSunshine on Aug 20, 11 1:33 PM
I have been swimming in the pond since last year, but haven't posted until recently. I swam by to add my opinion of the game. I found it thoroughly enjoyable. I am not looking to be a rocket scientist (no offense to anyone intended); I just want to have some fun and adventure. This game had everything I was looking for. I agree with all the positive threads. There is no need to reiterate those comments.
A++

9gamer5
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by 9gamer5 on Aug 20, 11 1:33 PM
Too creepy! I would become an insomniac after seeing their ugly faces. No buy for me.

[Post New]by undrgrndgirl on Aug 20, 11 6:00 PM
i play lots of hidden object/puzzle/adventure games...i buy lots of collector's editions because i am an obsessive "complete-ist"...don't bother with the collectors edtion of tihs one, in fact i'd wait and buy it when it's in the 2.99 discount "bin". have to say i'm really disappointed with this one and "hidden expedition: the uncharted islands ce".

[Post New]by hideobjectaddict on Aug 20, 11 6:20 PM
LovetoMissLisa wrote:I enjoyed the first one. And this one takes off where the first one left you. You really have to play the first game to understand the story, I know what's happening, so it make's it alot more understandable to me. The graphics are great and and the story is really interesting. And the overall gameplay, very smooth and it's somewhat easy. Of course this is a buy for me, but I'll wait for the SE. Be sure to check the first one out. At least do the trial period and read the walkthrough and that might give you clues as to what the story is. Enjoy!

FINE SWINE:
Great game with the best graphics and story. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.
‘ ‘
(o)

Thanks Miss Lisa! I love your reviews. I hadn't finished the 1st Twisted Lands (but will now), but just finished this demo; LOVED IT! Must buy for me, I love the background moans & strange sounds, lots of different directions to chose to follow, & neat puzzles. Spooky & mysterious, just what I look for!
hideobjectaddict

Edited on 08/20/2011 at 6:31:58 PM PST

guppy3
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by guppy3 on Aug 20, 11 7:53 PM
I liked the first one and even have replayed it a couple of times as I do most of my games that rank above average. I can honestly say though that even knowing the first one as I do, this one seems less "possible" if you can even go down that road given that games today have me lost in cemeteries, talking with the devil, or escaping an asylum. However, I think this stretches the credibility mark a little far. Doc says by the way we're having a lobotomy in the morning and so I break out (well duh!). However, when I see a skeleton come at me and my reaction is well, I'll have to help him find peace, I think I'd just go for the lobotomy!

All that said, I actually don't buy the games for the story. I'll read a book for that. I do like the play to be somewhat logical; not too linear (don't give me the object and have me use it right away). You have to think bizarre to think of trying the things that this one wants you to try; alternatively it also tells you what to think. Go figure. So, definitely not going the CE version. I'll consider SE with a coupon. And I really wanted to find a good CE. Well, I'll try Hidden Expedition. I've got all their games so hopefully the new one.......

Milo13
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by Milo13 on Aug 20, 11 11:31 PM
Love the crystal clear graphics. Being able to actually see the little details gave the game a heightened sense of realism, which added to the atmosphere/mood. I also loved the little things in movement: falling leaves, flying birds, rippling waters, shifting fog, cob webs swaying in the breeze. It lent a life to the scenes - rather than feeling like you’re staring at a stagnant painting.

Would love to see these kind of graphics applied to more of the fantasy type stories (like The Awakening series, The Fool, The Dream Chronicles). It’d be great to see these artists trying their hands at crafting more beautiful, magical scenery for a change.

By no means ground breaking in the adventure genre, I still enjoyed it. I thought the surprise conclusion in the first Twisted Lands involved zombies. So, I was a little disappointed that it was more of a Lovecraftian hybrid-mutant monster story (because ZOMBIES!). I’m more into fun game play and the graphics than someone who get’s heavily involved in the storyline, so keep that in mind.

NANONAN
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by NANONAN on Aug 21, 11 10:43 AM
Found the plot a little confusing to say the least. But perhaps that's the point? Just started to think I liked it and wanted to know how it unfolded when the demo finished. **** scenes nice and easy - just as I like them and puzzles a bit simple considering I was playing in expert mode, but at least it keeps my interest in the game alive. all in all, I liked it, music not too intrusive, good graphics. Don't buy CE's but this will go on my list of to buy SE version.
Bought Twisted Lands Shadow Town, which I assume is the first one that folk are talking about, but can't remember a thing about it, lol! Might have to replay it to remind me.

eedebeep
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

[Post New]by eedebeep on Aug 21, 11 10:55 AM
really confusing story, doesn't tie together well nor with the first game. Are they setting us up for a 3rd? if so please try to tighten up the story. plenty to do and good length. The Twisted Land games just aren't my favorites. A solid B

tooshoes
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by tooshoes on Aug 21, 11 12:39 PM
Hello,

Just finished the first one a day or two ago and wanted to continue the story line so I bought the CE for Insomniac. Did not like it at all. Graphics are good but the story line is too confusing. Still had questions at the end. Was there a kidnapping or a murder?? Do not think I would buy another in the series.

Peg067
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Peg067 on Aug 21, 11 1:41 PM
I enjoyed the Twisted Lands: Shadow Town CE very much and I think this one is even better. Despite pretty easy hidden object scenes, this one's not really for the novice, but it's also not so tough that it becomes frustrating for a non-expert. I also liked most of the mini games, which for me is a rarity.This story picks up where the first left off and I really enjoy continuation in a series. There's quite a lot of back and forth, but that's what you have a memory for, and I enjoy giving the old brain a good workout. For the "scenery snobs" I saw posted earlier, I found the scenes accented the story line perfectly and the objects, while well hidden were actually pretty easy on the eyes. The length was perfect. I still craved a little more when the regular version ended and they really toughened things up for the bonus scene, it was a grand finale and I think (hope) another game is in the works. I do wish they wouldn't rush through production though. This game had some pretty bad bloopers. The worst one here instructs you to turn on all 4 lights when there are 6 lights...and their favorite (mine too), which they include in every one of their games, calling an infant's nasal aspirator a "nose sucker".

Edited on 08/21/2011 at 1:44:20 PM PST

Carole22759
Minnow
Minnow
288 Posts

[Post New]by Carole22759 on Aug 21, 11 2:13 PM
KBEAR2045 wrote:
calsmom2001 wrote:
Carole22759 wrote:
jkuci wrote:
Coronagold wrote:Just from the screenshots I know I won't like it. It looks like it's one notch above urban decay. When I play an IHOG I don't want Detroit, m'kay? Something more like Empress or Drawn impresses me. Pass.

Whoa! A little rough on Detroit....

...The truth hurts sometimes.

Actually, considering that there is a plan being seriously put forth to just bulldoze whole blocks of Detroit, I think "one notch above urban decay" is, if anything, kind.

...........Okay-Enough with the references to Detroit (No, I am not from Detroit). Granted there are areas that need to be cleaned up but there are other cities that have problems too. This forum is for reviewing games, not political statements or slams (unless it concerns the game)....

Geesh... relax will ya.
....Didn't realize YOU were the forum's hall monitor!
Furthermore, I see no basis in determining the comment(s) to be motivated politically. The comments regarding Detroit were strictly related to the game; as an illustration of the urban decay and such. However, it appears YOU gave your politically driven statement on the matter.

tomb57
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by tomb57 on Aug 21, 11 3:56 PM
Good game with great graphics and soundtrack for the story-which is a bit hard to follow.
Nice HOGS and good puzzles. Bonus game leaves opening for a sequel.

[Post New]by ZeroCoolKate on Aug 21, 11 4:49 PM
***May contain spoilers***

I try not to compare most HOG story lines even though we all know a lot of them follow similar plots. This storyline in TL: Insomniac is more engaging than most HOG's with the "asylum escapee" theme, but one thing makes the story a bit confusing: the journal entries. Who's writing what?? You can take an educated guess at most of them based on the content and date written and probably come out correct, but a couple of the journals leave you wondering: What character wrote what. All of the journals are "written" in the same font, which is a big flaw unless the doctor's little girl had the same handwriting as the mayor. It's confusing. I wish they would have thought about that more, plus the abrupt ending really disappointed. Was Angel the teacher of the kids that went missing? If someone could let me know what they think, I'd appreciate it

SeverineSnape
Stingray
Stingray
5,357 Posts

[Post New]by SeverineSnape on Aug 21, 11 5:06 PM
Seems like a lot of people have problems understanding the storyline! Same here - I enjoyed the game, but am hopelessly lost on what actually happened. There seem to be so many different things going on, with the school bus and people turning into reptiles and Angel and her boyfriend etc. If someone could explain the story to me I would much appreciate it!

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Aug 22, 11 12:55 AM
I loved the first Twisted Lands, it was one of my favorite games of 2010, so I was really excited when I saw that the sequel was out. I am trying not to buy CE's since they are usually not worth the extra money for me. If there is a good hint system than a strategy guide usually isn't needed (and such is the case with this game) and most bonus play in CE's is disappointing, but I don't think I can wait for the SE of this one since I loved the demo so much. It seems as if some people were finding this game's story confusing. I actually liked how trippy it was and how you can't tell what is real and what is not real, and it made me feel as if I was really inside of the head of someone who is fighting evil and/or insanity like the main character is. I only played the demo so I'm hoping that what is happening in the game will make more sense as I play more of it, but I didn't mind the fact that it's not really making much sense at the beginning. Playing the first Twisted Lands may make things a bit more clear for some people that are confused, but that game was also a head trip, and I was left with unanswered questions at the end of it which I hope will be answered in this game. I was disappointed with the ending of the first Twisted Lands for that reason, which is why I am really hoping that this game will clear some things up.

As far as the game play goes, it is more adventure than H0, which I like, and I did encounter a few puzzles, and they weren't too challenging. I thought one of them was really fun and I hope there are more fun puzzles ahead. The H0 scenes are spread out, and they aren't too challenging either. What can be challenging is figuring out where to go next, and I like that, but if you get stuck, if you click on a hint it will point you in the right direction. This is a game where you will need your virtual sneakers, lots of wandering around, which I also like. I am looking forward to playing the rest of the game and might come back and post some additional thoughts once I have done that.

[Post New]by jenifercher on Aug 22, 11 12:35 PM
I know a lot of people complained that they couldnt remember the last one and I couldn't either, at first. You have to keep playing and you will get clues and I remembered how much I loved the first one. I think it was worth buying. I really liked this one as well. The bonus chapter, though did confuse me again a little. I wonder if there is going to be a 3rd installment.

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Aug 22, 11 1:29 PM
I played the first one and throughly enjoyed it, not so much this one. The plot really didn't make a lick of sense to me, and there was so much running around.. getting lost in the fog and tunnels... It was fun, but didn't wow me like the first.

I absolutely love [removed by moderator] games, and buy them without trial. Not sorry I bought it, just didn't enjoy it as much as the other ones. After 5 years of playing BF games, I just recently started playing in Expert mode, (yea me!! ) but this was not a long play game for me... I think it will have re-play value... but I'll play the first one first and slide back into this... might make a difference.

I definitely recommend trying this....you never know!!

Edited on 08/22/2011 at 2:34:30 PM PST

LaDeeDah
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by LaDeeDah on Aug 22, 11 2:49 PM
For those who commented on the fact that the Strategy Guide is not accessible in the demo: This is usually the case. There's no advantage to paying the extra money for a CE, if one of the elements that makes it a CE is available in a demo. JMO

lunachan
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by lunachan on Aug 23, 11 4:07 AM
I loved ed the first Twisted Lands and will prob buy this one....ce or se? That, is the "?"
With the first, you really didn't need the SG. I played the demo and agree you don't need it with this either; maybe get the bonus to figure out what happens next? IDK....
Happy gaming ya'll and if I make up my mind will post better review.

Go to: