Re:Reviews for Sonya Collector's Edition

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Aug 24, 11 3:24 PM
LOL Shastanna I also feel like I'm always bringing up the rear in these forums. I like to finish one game before I start the next and just got to this one today. I thought it was okay. Not sure if I will buy as a CE or wait for SE. It totally depends on how my punch cards fill up. People say the game is hard so that's a plus for the CE for me since I may need the strategy guide. I didn't find my trial terribly hard so it must get harder as it goes along. I also didn't find the game overly exciting.

[Post New]by spikescajunmom on Aug 24, 11 9:46 PM
Just finished the trial. Had 20 minutes left. I really enjoyed it. Pretty graphics, nice background music, familiar storyline, but good. Most who like HOG adventure should enjoy this. However I believe I will have to agree with many other posters and will wait for SE. It doesn't just grab me enough to buy as a CE.

[Post New]by LilDibs on Aug 24, 11 10:23 PM
Boring Game

Great Game

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Aug 25, 11 1:45 AM
This was a great game and I recommend it. It took me about 6 hours to complete. I don't usually like HOG scenes, but this has some of the best ones I ever played. There are 2 types. The standard one, where you find items from a list, was for me, for the first time, surprisingly easy and enjoyable. The items you have to find are big and easy to see. The second HOGs were interactive, which I usually don't like, but it was done very, very well in this game.You have to find 4-5 parts of usually 5 items and they are represented by pictures. However, the parts are big and easily noticeable. Then after you get the items, you interact with the scene to complete your objective, but the pop-ups over the items in the scene make it easy to know what you have to do. I don't like HOGs, but the ones in this game were some of the best I have played.

Most mini-games/puzzles were different, but enjoyable. However, a few of them were quite tough. There is a recharging Hint system and a Skip button, that recharge reasonably fast. Outside the HOG scenes, the Hint system was excellent because it tells you exactly what you need to do next. The Strategy Guide was annoying because it doesn't hold your place from where you left off. The music and sound effects were good and the graphics in the game were okay. The one thing I didn't like was the cut-scenes. They were unanimated comic strips and not actual movies. There is no talking.

There is a Journal and a Tasks List. The game was fun and imaginative with no technical problems. The Bonus Game was also very good.

Nice game and I recommend it.

Edited on 08/25/2011 at 2:11:29 AM PST

ChocCherry
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by ChocCherry on Aug 25, 11 7:43 AM
When are we going to get the fix for the game? Will we have to start all over again to reach the point where it crashed?

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 25, 11 7:51 AM
I just played the trial version, and what a beautiful and wonderfully entertaining game this is.

SPOILER ALERT

I love the Hidden Object scenes, the variety of a normal list with names on them, and fragmented objects to be found. I hope there are more in the game - I love FROGs.

The graphics are just wonderful, and I love the way the H0 scenes play - not just finding items, but using them right there in the H0 scenes. What fun!

I didn`t find that there were too many H0 scenes following each other. And I have to say that quite often I get quickly bored with H0 scenes. But in this game, the graphics in the H0 scenes are crisp and clear and items are easily found, and it`s FUN doing the H0 scenes.

It took me 55 minutes to play the trial version, so I am sure this game will have a satisfying length for me. This is definitely a keeper.

Thank you developers and BFG for giving us such a great game.

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Aug 25, 11 10:00 AM
I finished the demo in 40 mins, and did enjoy the game. Nice graphics, very good H0 scenes and an interesting story. I particularly liked the mix of H0/frags. BUT - the puzzles seemed far too simple, and I think I'd get fed up pretty quickly of the sheer amount of to-ing and froing to the same H0 scenes. A pretty, fun game but IMO not worth it as a CE. I probably won't buy as an SE either, it just didn't "grab me" enough,and I found it just a little too "trying to be enchanted" for me, if that makes any sense at all!

bc54321
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by bc54321 on Aug 25, 11 10:44 AM
I WILL NO LONGER BUY CE EDITIONS, WE HAVE ENJOYED THESE FOR YEARS
BUT I HAVE WASTED SO MUCH MONEY ON GAMES THAT JUST DID NOT WORK
THIS GAME WAS THE LAST STRAW I STARTED OVER 4 TIMES AND STILL COULD NOT PK UP OUT OF THE WELL THERE HAVE BEEN OTHERS THAT I HAVE RESTARTED 1 OR 2 TIMES AND UNDER DIFF NAMES AND THEY WORKED I AM TIRED OF LOSING MONEY AND TIME. YOU SHOULD REFUND MONEY BUT THS WILL NOT HAPPEN SO PLEASE PUT NON CE GAMES ON A A LOT OF THEM. THANKS

BC54321

mkinyon
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by mkinyon on Aug 25, 11 11:48 AM
CasualGran wins the internet for this review. Completely spot on.

CasualGran wrote:The graphics are clear. Yes. And IMO that's all the positive there is in this non-double-price-worthy H0 game.
The sort of Dream Chronicle style irritates me, as does the music.
The puzzles are too familiar and much too easy.
There are sparkles and you can't choose to play without them.
The H0 scenes are junkpiles to visit more than once, and only to find typical HOG stuff like horseshoes, gloves and tweezers. Too boring for words.
The story is stupid. Here we have some kind of fairy-looking family (yuk) and suddenly one of the two daughters is shot or kidnapped or whatever and you fly to the rescue, happily dashing to and fro on twinkle-plinkle-tweettweet sounds.

Oh great, there's a SG, but who needs it? You can do this game in your sleep.

It's tedious. Don't think I'll even buy the SE.

CasualGran

bfgHondo
Manatee
Manatee
3,712 Posts

[Post New]by bfgHondo on Aug 25, 11 3:40 PM
ChocCherry wrote:When are we going to get the fix for the game? Will we have to start all over again to reach the point where it crashed?

Hi ChocCherry,

If any updates are released for this game, we'll be sure to post an announcement at the top of the Sonya Collector's Edition Forum.

In the meantime, (and I assure you this isn't directed at just you, ChocCherry ) please keep in mind that this thread has been reserved for reviews of this game only.

If you're experiencing a technical issue with your game, please visit the 'Tech' thread. If you have a question about gameplay, please feel free to create a new thread.

Thanks!

-bfgHondo

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 26, 11 6:53 AM
I have now finished the game. The trial version took me 55 minutes to finish. I notice that a lot of gamers seem to be able to finish the trial in half an hour or less. I never finished a trial in that time - I guess I just like smelling the roses on the way. In fact, most of the time, I don`t even finish a trial version within the hour I`ve got.

The graphics are first class, and gameplay is fun and entertaining. And the puzzles are mostly managable.

The H0 scenes have also clear and crisp graphics, and objects are easy enough to find. I didn`t find that the H0 scenes were made up of junkpiles, and I didn`t feel there were too many H0 scenes.
There are 2 kinds of lists in the H0 scenes: one has the names of the objects, and the other one has fragmented objects you need to find. In this H0 scene you not only have to find objects, but have to add the objects from the list once they are made whole to make things work while still in that scene.

There is no voice-over, but there is a choice of custom and system cursor. I would suggest to use the custom cursor, because otherwise you won`t see all the various changes the cursor goes into when pointing at different places.
There is a "stretch" mode for widescreen monitors, but it didn`t work for my widescreen laptop.

I am glad I got the CE, because the bonus game was extra special good and very satisfactory for me. It took me a good hour to play, and it does continue from where the main game leaves off.

This is an all-round wonderful, entertaining, and visually stunning game. Give the demo at least a try and see for yourself whether you like the game or not, rather than not playing the demo because of some negative comments, and missing out on a really nice game.

[Post New]by skerhut on Aug 26, 11 7:57 AM
I have now played this game three times and everytime it gets to me feeding the wolf then nothing. I have deleted it twice and re-installed. Same place same story. I would like to finish the game but I guess I wasted my money. Would like someone to contact me about this. I have played many games and never a problem. wcrumlett@satx.rr.com

maggisaxby
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by maggisaxby on Aug 26, 11 12:53 PM
OK, quite pretty, but no CE for me. will buy later.

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

[Post New]by Beingknown on Aug 28, 11 11:53 AM
Pleasant, and easy game. Nice graphics, okay soundtrack. Very simple puzzles, lots of Hidden Object scenes. Not my cup of tea. Too easy for my tastes. Good for younger game-player or one who wants a game that's quite straight-forward, without much challenge.

abitmore
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by abitmore on Aug 29, 11 10:16 PM
I do NOT get all the bad reviews except "different strokes for different folks." This has to be one of the most beautiful games I've ever played. At first I thought it was a family-type of game but I was quickly proven wrong. After that first bit, there's no further mention of them being fairy or whatever. Like any game, you must suspend belief while you're playing. No different than any other game, IMO.

I LOVED this game and was very glad I bought it as a CE. The SG came in handy a LOT! (I'm not shy about using a SG or a WT, esp. when I or my eyes start getting tired but I don't want to quit the game...)

I usually end up turning the music off after the first few minutes in most games. In this game, I turned it UP! In addition to the graphics being so lovely, the music was, also. DH walked through the room while I was playing and stopped and remarked on the music.

IMO, this is exactly the type of game that should come out as a CE. It's much more complex than you'd think just by playing the demo. As I said, different strokes, and all, so while I wouldn't hesitate to highly recommend this game, I'd suggest to someone that they try it before making up their mind either way.

Kudos to the devs and THANKS to BFG.

eedebeep
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

Not even close to the level of a good CE

[Post New]by eedebeep on Aug 30, 11 5:58 PM
What a disappointment. Easy hidden objects, easy games, borrrrrrrring and insipid story, pathetic way to achieve victory at the end.Game is way too short.
ugh ugh ugh yawn.

To top it off, there is a glitch concerning the troll in the bonus game so I can't finish that scene, and I don't even care!
I have been buying CEs without trialing them, trusting BFG, but from now on I'm trialing them first.

Maybe suitable for grade school kids. For an adult, C-. Don't bother.

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Aug 31, 11 10:12 AM
After going through some very frustrating technical issues, I was finally able to play through this game. I really liked it! Beautiful graphics and great adventure elements with some decent puzzles. The game actually got better as you moved along - I really enjoyed the portal (tree) chapter. Although the game was not particularly challenging, I did not think it was overly easy played on the difficult level - just a nice, relaxed, and visually lovely experience with a nice soundtrack. The story was not very well developed, however, and I did not really care for the cartoon graphic cut scenes that were supposed to advance the story. Also, the ending of the main game was quite abrupt. The bonus was good - pretty standard for a CE with about 45 minutes or so of additional game play that continued the story, and some nice wallpapers, etc.

Overall, a very beautiful and enjoyable game.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Sep 2, 11 3:26 PM
I just finished playing the demo of "Sonya" and I may buy it at some point. But the HOG scenes are so numerous, that it is aggravating me. I think on a review of another game, I mentioned that I only do the HOGs to get whatever it is I need for the rest of the game. I find them boring and aggravating. Anyway, I didn't mind the rest of the game. It was O.K. But I have to ask a really stupid question (sorry!). What era is this story in?! Her house and surroundings reminds me of the Dream Chronicles series! Are these real people or fairies, or what!!

Just wondering!!

Feenix

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

Not even close to the level of a good CE

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Sep 2, 11 4:07 PM
eedebeep wrote:What a disappointment. Easy hidden objects, easy games, borrrrrrrring and insipid story, pathetic way to achieve victory at the end.Game is way too short.
ugh ugh ugh yawn.

To top it off, there is a glitch concerning the troll in the bonus game so I can't finish that scene, and I don't even care!
I have been buying CEs without trialing them, trusting BFG, but from now on I'm trialing them first.

Maybe suitable for grade school kids. For an adult, C-. Don't bother.

I cant believe you buy CEs without trialling them!! I mean to each their own but thats a lot of money to shell out on a game especially with whats being released recently lol Im very picky though and I like CEs to be a certain way in order to pay double for them BUT during this CE sale we had couple weeks ago, I bought a bunch at the 6.99 price and honestly I felt like if I had paid double for any of those games, I would have been an unhappy customer! especially since bonus games now seem like they complete the story and are not just a BONUS at the end. It makes me wary to even buy games as SE's because it might be missing the ending. Ive found most of the games that have super hype about them (people talked about this for weeks) are usually the ones that let me down the most. I know a lot of people dont have time to trial every game but at least read the reviews and REALLY read them. I find I agree with CasualGran almost every time so if she says a review isnt up to par then Ive saved time you know whereas I dont always agree with TeamSD even though their reviews are good to other people. Sorry to use names in here. Just trying to make a point. =) I have tons of time though to try all the games but not everyone does. id just be careful throwing $14 on a game I havent even tried especially with the technical glitches like in Awakening. Man I wanted that game.

uwflossi
Minnow
Minnow
205 Posts

[Post New]by uwflossi on Sep 3, 11 2:01 PM
I like this game. But the SG is not good. I have to go to the first page every time I want to have help. I have to remember the capital and page. That is not much help. Glad, I did not buy it. Happy gaming

Go to: