medic1960
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Secrets of Arcelia Island

[Post New]by medic1960 on Sep 5, 11 6:20 AM
Letterbox! I really enjoyed this game but the only problem I had was that it didn't fill my screen. After completing the game I looked at options and 'Full Screen' and something called 'Letterbox' were pre-ticked. For anyone as thick as me - once I cancelled 'Letterbox' the game filled my screen. Doh!

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on Sep 5, 11 6:44 AM
@ medic1960: Thanks for the info re 'Letterbox". I don't even remember seeing it, but I'll certainly look for it now. I wouldn't have known what it meant.

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on Sep 5, 11 7:01 AM
WELL, I opened my game which I had finished and was in my re-cycle bin, and on Settings appeared the option with Letterbox. I unclicked it and got full screen. Halleluiah......I learned something new. This was the first time I'd ever had black borders on my screen and it sure did ruin the enjoyment of the game. Thanks again medic1960.

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Sep 5, 11 9:18 AM
Hi, marianne.

Yes, the ending confused me, too. I thought I was doing something wrong, but according to the Walkthrough, that's the way it's supposed to end. It was a bit anti-climactic, though.

Edited on 09/05/2011 at 9:20:06 AM PST

Floraws
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by Floraws on Sep 6, 11 11:50 AM
Oh me oh my oh joy.... what a wonderful, WONDERFUL game this is. Graphics are soo soo nice! Well, the story... well, you know... witches and spells and all. But everything is nice, neatly done, and above all the hints are simply awesome. A certain buy for me. However, Mr BF, Cherb has all the reason in the world. Please forget about sending us back to Internet after playing. Dont press us, it is a sort of bullying, you know? Cause we have no chance nor opportunity to refuse it. I am really disappointed with that bully behaviour of yourselves. Please believe me: if we are bound to buy something, we will do it. No need to "induce" the gamer.
That said, I rate this game first grade. Excellent!

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Sep 7, 11 4:10 AM
Very good game, great graphics and fantasy! Looking for to be continued!!

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Sep 7, 11 3:24 PM
I played the entire demo. It is a HOG game with some interaction. This game didn't get me very intriqued. I would buy it if it evers becomes a DD. To me, it's not worth the $6.99 price. I became somewhat bored with the game.

Becca_jxxx
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Becca_jxxx on Sep 8, 11 2:16 PM
I have just finished the game and I am so glad I bought it. It was well worth the money and in my opinion, a decent length. Thank you !!

safarinow
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by safarinow on Sep 8, 11 4:30 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed the game!! The graphics were great. I am getting tired of spiders, garbage, ie; rotting food , flies buzzing around, dirty kitchens and bathrooms even in some very good games! It was nice to go to the elf's fairyland for a change. Sort of reminded me of the Dream Chronicle series. Pleasant little game and worth the money even though the ending could have been a little better. safarinow

sfcali
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by sfcali on Sep 10, 11 9:53 AM
I agree about the length: unless you play on easy mode, using hints and rush through the story cut-scenes, you won't finish this game in under 4 hours. I also like to relish my games and this one is worth relishing! So gorgeous!

I was stumped on occasion by more than one puzzle while others were very easy. I think that's a good mix. If every puzzle is too hard, it would be drudgery after a while. If every puzzle was easy, it'd be boring and go too fast.

There's no reason to complain about the story's originality. In and of itself, it's very original even if it has many familiar elements such as the mysticism, the witch, the lost relative. If all you want is absolutely never seen or heard of before in your games or books or movie, your library will be very poor indeed.

If you enjoy gorgeous artwork and hidden object scenes, this game is worth it just for that. Even so, there's much more to it. Very good buy!

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Sep 10, 11 7:42 PM
Cherbtoo - you have around too long & posted to many review for my taste. So what if they go to another site when you exit. I WOULD BUY THE GAME IF IT THAT GOOD AS YOU AS YOU SAID. Why don't you try another site it might be more enjoyable for you and leave BFG to people who enjoy it.

You know the say: You can please some of the people some of time none of the people none of time & I guess you fall in this slot.

I bought this game and will contine buy from BFG because of service they give and the fact they come out with more games sooner then other sites.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 10, 11 8:24 PM
VTCT wrote:Cherbtoo - you have around too long & posted to many review for my taste. So what if they go to another site when you exit. I WOULD BUY THE GAME IF IT THAT GOOD AS YOU AS YOU SAID. Why don't you try another site it might be more enjoyable for you and leave BFG to people who enjoy it.

You know the say: You can please some of the people some of time none of the people none of time & I guess you fall in this slot.

I bought this game and will contine buy from BFG because of service they give and the fact they come out with more games sooner then other sites.

VTCT, I may not always agree with Cherbtoo (or anyone else, for that matter) but I don't believe any member has the right to tell another member that they need to not be on the forum or cut down on their posted reviews as long as the post are within the forum rules.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 10, 11 8:26 PM
sfcali wrote:I agree about the length: unless you play on easy mode, using hints and rush through the story cut-scenes, you won't finish this game in under 4 hours. I also like to relish my games and this one is worth relishing! So gorgeous!

I was stumped on occasion by more than one puzzle while others were very easy. I think that's a good mix. If every puzzle is too hard, it would be drudgery after a while. If every puzzle was easy, it'd be boring and go too fast.

There's no reason to complain about the story's originality. In and of itself, it's very original even if it has many familiar elements such as the mysticism, the witch, the lost relative. If all you want is absolutely never seen or heard of before in your games or books or movie, your library will be very poor indeed.

If you enjoy gorgeous artwork and hidden object scenes, this game is worth it just for that. Even so, there's much more to it. Very good buy!

Thanks! I decided to buy based on your post.

dashwood95
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

Re:Review for The Secrets of Arcelia Island

[Post New]by dashwood95 on Sep 10, 11 10:29 PM
CasualGran wrote:Dunnoo. Played 30 minutes of the demo and it seems this games leaves things to be desired. Like a smoothly running cursor for instance. And smoothly going from scene to scene.

Furthermore I'm getting a little tired of places cursed, for whatever reason, by evil witches. Couldn't they have come up with something different?

And last I find the handholding while playing advanced mode irritating. I'm still receiving too many tips.

I'm in serious doubt whether or not this game's worth to buy.

CasualGran

All great points. No go for me. Uninstalled in 15min.

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

[Post New]by Beingknown on Sep 12, 11 4:24 PM
Really beautiful graphics, with bright, sharp colors and interesting scenes to gaze upon. Bravo for the art work!

The overall game-play was enjoyable and sometimes made me think, which I fully appreciate.

honeyg412
Clownfish
Clownfish
985 Posts

[Post New]by honeyg412 on Sep 13, 11 5:56 AM
VTCT wrote:Cherbtoo - you have around too long & posted to many review for my taste. So what if they go to another site when you exit. I WOULD BUY THE GAME IF IT THAT GOOD AS YOU AS YOU SAID. Why don't you try another site it might be more enjoyable for you and leave BFG to people who enjoy it.

Quick note: Cherb is one of the sweetest fishies you'll ever meet and has the right to voice her opinions as do you. I hope she sticks around for many more years and I look at the number of her post as an indication of her wisdom in the forums. That said:

I thouroughly enjoyed this game and rate it a "10". I have been an avid h0g player in the past and found myself getting tired of them. In this game - which by the way took me 5 hours ) I enjoyed the h0g scenes because there weren't too many and they were easier on my eyes to locate objects. I loved the fairy village and the mixture of other scenes. Of course I was sad to see it end but that is an indication of how much I enjoyed the game.
Happy gaming to all and please try to respect other gamers when disagreeing with them.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Sep 14, 11 4:44 AM

Thank you for your opinion VTCT. I am sorry that you think I have posted too many reviews so may I respectfully suggest that you just avoid reading them in the future.

However before you do stop reading let me say that yes this game was very good and I thoroughly enjoyed it and have been telling people how good it was and also was well worth the money. I hope the devs make many more games like this for me to buy but with maybe optional mist .

Just to clarify things for you I will say that I do not have my internet connection open when I am playing a game and, when clicking the quit button when I decide to stop playing and be taken directly to a website means that someone has put a hacking command into my computer to change my personal settings and that is what I objected to with this game be it done by the developer or BFG it was still wrong.

Also for the record I don't know where you get the impression that I am never pleased because I have purchased approximately 550 games from BFG and will continue to buy from here as BFG have stated that the overriding of our personal settings will not occur any more and so I am back to being a happy Cherb again.

Cherb

Thank you very much for your comments Jjuci and HoneyG .

[Post New]by mandy159 on Sep 14, 11 7:30 AM
while i am enjoying this game which is very good with a storyline to it has any one come across any problems with this as i have had even starting again to the same problem on the same puzzle area with still no luck as to resolved this with no luck

DeeBeth
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by DeeBeth on Sep 14, 11 10:18 AM
Enjoyed this game. I especially loved the variety of the scenes and the little riddles.

[Post New]by maryloosue on Sep 14, 11 3:26 PM
Well i tried the trial version first and quite enjoyed it, thought i would use my game credit. Really enjoying the game so far. No voice over for scenes, thats not so bad! I like the graphics on this game and the story line keeps my interest. Could be a little harder and puzzles,if you really like a challenge. I have purchased a lot of games and pleased with this one. I dont think you will be dissapointed with this game... Have fun.

Go to: