NANONAN
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

Re:Reviews for Lost Souls: Enchanted Paintings Collector's Edition

[Post New]by NANONAN on Sep 1, 11 11:18 AM
Surprised at so many negative comments. Perhaps it's not for hardened gamers that like it mind bendingly difficult, but I loved it. OK usual 'find my son' thing, but the way you go about finding your son is enchanting. I thought graphics were great, music got on my nerves as always, but I can live with that. Yes, there are sparkles even in advanced mode, so perhaps they should be taken out at that level for the SE. A very different approach to a game I thought and it will go on my list of buys, but not this month cos I've spent myself out big time on the CE sale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sparkers2005
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by sparkers2005 on Sep 1, 11 4:30 PM
such a lovely pleasant game for a ce for a change. give the game a chance.

Syndalee
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by Syndalee on Sep 1, 11 5:53 PM
This was a nice game and I enjoyed it until I completed chapter 5 and realized the "bonus" chapter was actually needed to FINISH the game. Feels like a bit of a scam to me.

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Sep 1, 11 8:35 PM
Quick comment to the text editor of the game... it is not necessary to say "in order to (e.g. open the door you need a key)..." in the dialog. It's less words (and proper grammer) if you just say "to open the door you need a key..." This will help the player to read more quickly.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Sep 1, 11 10:26 PM
This isn't just a review of the game, which, honestly, I haven't played long enough yet to decide if I am going to buy it or not. But, I have to comment (because I have read these comments a few times before) about these reviewers being pressured to buy a game? They actually get mad?! Why?? Just don't buy it!!! We have
"things" pushed at us all the time through all kinds of media to buy this and that. We either buy it or we don't. What's the problem?

Just enjoy (or not) the game!

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Sep 2, 11 9:34 AM
Okay, I just finished the game and I'll throw my 2 cents in here. The Yankees beat the Red Sox last night 4-2. Oh, sorry, wrong topic.

I'll start with a big No-No. When the game ends, it forces you to watch the credits; you can't skip them. I didn't like that at all. Every other game I have played, you can skip the credits.

I liked the game and thought it was generally well done. There were a lot of things to do and a lot of variety to the game. The graphics ,sound effects, and music were nice and I had fun playing it. I encountered no technical glitches at all. However, there were some things I didn't like.

First, I'm not a big fan of HOGs and at first there weren't that many of them and they weren't that bad. There are 2 kinds. Interactive ones with a word list and ones where there is a pictures list. As the game progressed, there were more and more HOGs and for me, it got a bit tedious after awhile. There's a random click penalty and the Hint meter takes about a minute to recharge on Easy Mode, which seems like an eternity. On the other hand, I enjoyed the mini-games and the skip meter seemed to be ready in about 20-30 seconds.

(cont.)

Edited on 09/02/2011 at 9:36:14 AM PST

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Sep 2, 11 9:44 AM
(cont. from previous message)

You don't really use the standard navigation cursor to move around. There is a map and you click on the map to move. Some locations only have one scene and others may have 2 or possibly 3 scenes to explore and then back to the map to move to a new location.What's nice is that it tells you when there is nothing else to do in a location at that time and also when a location is completed. The game was on the easy side and you don't really need the SG or a Walkthrough. Plus, the Hints will show you what you have to do next.

I'm not giving anything away here, but you enter a picture to search for your son and that's the first chapter. When you complete it, then you enter the second picture. There are five chapters and when you complete them, there is the Bonus chapter. However, the bonus is really the end of the game, not something extra.

There were a few strange things. In the Bonus chapter, I was picking up blood vials and I had 4 out of 6, then I performed an action that completed the game and got the ending cutscene. I don't understand what the vials were for, since I never got all of them. Also, you can collect coins during the game and use them to buy Trophies at the end of the game. What a waste of time that was. I read what others wrote, but I try to savor the game, so it took me about 6-7 hours to complete it.

All in all the game was pretty good and I rate it a B overall.

Happy Gaming.

Edited on 09/02/2011 at 9:48:26 AM PST

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Sep 2, 11 8:27 PM
I have just finished the "demo" with 15 minutes left. I actually really do like the game...the graphics are simply beautiful.

Not sure, but from seeing the "dusty paintings" and learning in the forums that not all of them (excluding the one chained and locked) are used, could it mean there will be a sequel: ie, "Lost Souls II" where the extra paintings will be used...or maybe since this is a CE they were there originally but were left out of the game for some reason (again, maybe a "part 2"...? I don't know but the game is a really nice one.

I will wait for the SE if one is issued - I had to buy a car battery today and the $103 it cost will limit my CEs for a while!!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 3, 11 1:41 AM
Dominick_Fontana wrote:I'll start with a big No-No. When the game ends, it forces you to watch the credits; you can't skip them. I didn't like that at all. Every other game I have played, you can skip the credits.

I beg to differ on this one, D_F. When the credits came on, you were able to skip them.

Dominick_Fontana wrote:Also, you can collect coins during the game and use them to buy Trophies at the end of the game. What a waste of time that was.

You are able to buy trophies during the game as well, not just at the end of it.

And yes, the BONUS game is really the ending, and I also would like one of the developers to come here and explain about that, because if there will be an SE, without the 6th chapter, then the game won`t finish for those peeps who will buy it.

I also didn`t see any point in the "Free Mode" game, which was virtually just a copy of the main game and, I suppose, there so we could collect more coins to be able to buy all the trophies. I would have preferred to be able to collect all the coins in the main game.
And there is another thing: If the "Free Mode" is part of the "bonus" section, which it is, then again those who will buy the SE will not be able to collect all the coins to buy all the trophies.

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Sep 3, 11 2:08 AM
Hi, Vaidy.

I beg to differ on this one, D_F. When the credits came on, you were able to skip them.

Okey-Dokey. Then how did you skip the credits? There was no Skip button on the page, but I clicked numerous times on the screen anyway. I hit the Space bar and the ESC key, but nothing worked. So unless I'm missing something here, they were still wrong for having an unintuitive and hidden way to skip the credits.

You are able to buy trophies during the game as well, not just at the end of it.

Again, unless I'm missing something here, the trophies were just Achievements, weren't they? IOW, it's not as if you bought a Trophy it would give you a power-up during the game, right? Unless I'm wrong, what difference does it make if you bought the Trophies during the game or after the game? Why would the game be more fun if you bought the trophies during the game? Also, I felt you shouldn't buy the trophies until the game was over and you knew how much you had to spend on trophies. I guess my point is, it seems a bit picky that you mentioned you could could buy the trophies during the game. Who cares if you buy the trophies during the game or after the game.

Yes, I thought about the Standard Edition (SE) too. Maybe they leave out one of the chapters 1 through 5 and give you the "Bonus" chapter as chapter 5 in the SE.

With the Free Mode, you could replay any of the chapters. Normally, when you finish a game and opt to replay it, you have to start the game from the beginning and complete one chapter before you can play the next chapter. Here, you can pick and choose what chapter you want to replay without starting from the beginning.

That's a good point about the coins. I completed the game, and wasn't able to buy all the trophies. The reason I said it was a waste is that after I finish a game and check out the Bonus section, then I uninstall the game. So for me, it didn't really mean much to buy the trophies and then uninstall the game. It didn't give me a sense of accomplishment.

Happy Gaming.

Edited on 09/03/2011 at 2:17:15 AM PST

[Post New]by goloxx1 on Sep 3, 11 8:01 AM
I have never reviewed a game before but this ones differant BEWARE!!! The demo will leave you believing that there will be nine levels (due to pic frames surrounding boys pic) and then the locked/bonus chapter. NOT SO only 5 levels and then "bonus". But the "bonus" is actually the ending. So if you don't buy the CE you'll never be alble to finish the game. WAY TOO SHORT for CE and definitely not worth 2 credits (13.99). I went as far as to complain to BFG. This in my opinion was a bait and switch and a HUGE RIP OFF. I play games all the time, and love most of them but I truely felt like a SUCKER for purchasing this game!!!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 3, 11 12:13 PM
Dominick_Fontana wrote:Hi, Vaidy.

Okey-Dokey. Then how did you skip the credits? There was no Skip button on the page, but I clicked numerous times on the screen anyway. I hit the Space bar and the ESC key, but nothing worked. So unless I'm missing something here, they were still wrong for having an unintuitive and hidden way to skip the credits.

I wish I could remember exactly what happens in games and what I press to get things done after I finish a game. But... alas, I remember nothing the moment I finished a game. LOL

However, I am absolutely certain there was a SKIP button at the top right-hand corner, as there always was throughout the game when a cut scene came along. I know I didn`t have to sit through the credits, but was able to exit the game straight away.

Again, unless I'm missing something here, the trophies were just Achievements, weren't they? IOW, it's not as if you bought a Trophy it would give you a power-up during the game, right? Unless I'm wrong, what difference does it make if you bought the Trophies during the game or after the game? Why would the game be more fun if you bought the trophies during the game? Also, I felt you shouldn't buy the trophies until the game was over and you knew how much you had to spend on trophies. I guess my point is, it seems a bit picky that you mentioned you could could buy the trophies during the game. Who cares if you buy the trophies during the game or after the game.

You are absolutely right. The trophies are pointless, because a trophy is a prize you get for an achievement, which isn`t the case here. You can just buy them with your coins, while playing the game.

Yes, I thought about the Standard Edition (SE) too. Maybe they leave out one of the chapters 1 through 5 and give you the "Bonus" chapter as chapter 5 in the SE.

Hmmm... but then the bonus game which is supposed to be "only" in the CE would part of the SE, whether they take out another chapter or not. I am looking forward to see what they will do, but I do wish someone from Fenomen would come here and explain to us what they were thinking when they made the game.

And, of course, if the SE hasn`t got the bonus section, they won`t have the "Free Mode" part, and won`t be able to find more coins. Unless... there won`t be any coins to find at all in the SE. Other CEs did the same, where you were able to find playing cards, for example, but not in the SE version.

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Sep 3, 11 5:50 PM
This game was not of high quality or CE material in my opinion, for a few reasons. First off, the game was too easy and not very long, but I generally overlook that on a really well-made and enjoyable game with nice graphics. Not so in this case, since there were several other issues that in my opinion were much worse.

My biggest complaint (that I am surprised no one has mentioned) is that the resolution in the game was mixed, which is the first time I have seen this. I personally hate it when I cannot automatically adjust for widescreen and my images are stretched and distorted. Fortunately, when that happens, I have a button on my monitor with which I can make an adjustment, so that the graphics are in the proper proportion. Not so for this game - when I set the adjustment, the main game screens were correct but the inventory, cut scenes, and close up puzzles were out of proportion (squeezed). If I played in full screen, the cut scenes, inventory and puzzles were correct, but the main game, hidden object/adventure was stretched and distorted. So I ended up having to play with squat fat "people" and oblong stretched hidden objects - ugh!!!

Absolutely horrible and inexcusable in my opinion!!!

To make matters worse, I sent a simple question to the game developers on the issue and got no response - nothing... What is up with that???

I also have to agree with the majority of comments on this one, about the way the CE edition was handled. If the last chapter really is the bonus chapter, then that is very poor business in my opinion. What, then, will be the SE?? A game with no ending?? A painting with a piece missing??? A poor insipid mother with no child???

I doubt this is some new CE trend, but instead is just really poor CE game design by these particular developers.

So overall, while this game could have just been another middle of the road gaming experience, it ended up giving me an overall experience that was one of the worst I have had for a CE, as well as a headache from looking at distorted graphics. Pretty bad in my opinion and a very big thumbs down to the developers!!

Edited on 09/03/2011 at 5:51:25 PM PST

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Sep 3, 11 8:03 PM
Hi, Vaidy.

Well, just for the record I did not have a Skip button on the credits scene. I kept looking for it and it wasn't there.

Yes, it was very confusing about this being the CE and what the SE might possibly contain.

Plus, goloxx made a good point. It does look like there will be 9 levels because of the pictures on the wall and then the Bonus with the locked picture would be the 10th level. But alas, there were only 5 levels and the Bonus (which was really the ending) and 4 of the pictures were never used. Very unusual.

Edited on 09/03/2011 at 8:08:50 PM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 4, 11 2:12 AM
Dominick_Fontana wrote:Hi, Vaidy.

Well, just for the record I did not have a Skip button on the credits scene. I kept looking for it and it wasn't there.

OK, I won`t swear to it that there was a SKIP button, but I know I just clicked somewhere and was able to end the credits.

Plus, goloxx made a good point. It does look like there will be 9 levels because of the pictures on the wall and then the Bonus with the locked picture would be the 10th level. But alas, there were only 5 levels and the Bonus (which was really the ending) and 4 of the pictures were never used. Very unusual.

Yes, I got confused myself about the amount of paintings we could use, because at the beginning, when the picture of the boy is torn apart, there were more than 6 parts of that picture, and each one did go into each of the paintings hanging on the wall.
So I wondered myself if perhaps several of the chapters meant for us to visit 2 paintings in a chapter.

The whole set-up of this game has been done wrongly. However, I won`t let that spoil my enthusiasm about this game. It was a lovely game: wonderful graphics, wonderful characters, wonderful gameplay, nice puzzles that I actually managed to do, voice-over that was done nicely, and it took me approx. 5 hours to finish. What more can I want? To me it was worth every penny I paid, especially since this is one game I love to replay again.

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Sep 5, 11 4:12 AM
I agree with you, Vaidy. Despite some of the oddness with the game, the bottom line is I enjoyed playing it and it wasn't a short game.

Also, I didn't have any trouble with my screen resolution, silverink, but I didn't use Widescreen. I played it at 1024x768 and it looked fine.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 5, 11 4:19 AM
silverink wrote:My biggest complaint (that I am surprised no one has mentioned) is that the resolution in the game was mixed, which is the first time I have seen this. I personally hate it when I cannot automatically adjust for widescreen and my images are stretched and distorted. Fortunately, when that happens, I have a button on my monitor with which I can make an adjustment, so that the graphics are in the proper proportion. Not so for this game - when I set the adjustment, the main game screens were correct but the inventory, cut scenes, and close up puzzles were out of proportion (squeezed). If I played in full screen, the cut scenes, inventory and puzzles were correct, but the main game, hidden object/adventure was stretched and distorted. So I ended up having to play with squat fat "people" and oblong stretched hidden objects - ugh!!!

Absolutely horrible and inexcusable in my opinion!!!

Dominick_Fontana wrote:Also, I didn't have any trouble with my screen resolution, silverink, but I didn't use Widescreen. I played it at 1024x768 and it looked fine.

This only goes to show how the same game acts differently to differenent computers. This is one of the very few games that covered my whole widescreen monitor without me having to adjust the resolution settings manually. And apart from the BigFish logo that came first and which looked stretched, all other images thereafter were perfect, nothing looked stretched or distorted on my laptop widescreen monitor.

Misty36
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by Misty36 on Sep 6, 11 12:55 AM
SairBelle wrote:I really liked this game, but it felt unfinished. The last two paintings gave two pieces each and there were paintings that you didn't enter. It seems like there was at least two more levels planned.

Several games lately have been like this. I don't know if it is developers in general forcing games out to meet deadlines before they are polished, or vendors like Big Fish demanding them before they are fully ready.

AMEN! I didn't realize when I bought the CE that there WAS no bonus play. I was livid. I, duh, thought that the 'bonus realm' WAS the bonus gameplay. Definitely NOT worth $13.99 and i am sad I lost my money. Yes, I agree, there were alot of 'unused' paintings that could have been great scenes if the game were properly done. So, Kudos to you my friend for making me feel better than I did before I read your post! Off my soap box now too.......

AnnieO_2424mad
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by AnnieO_2424mad on Sep 6, 11 9:25 AM
A very beautiful game. And I really liked it. But very easy in Easy Mode. Still, I'll probably buy it when the SE comes out.

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Sep 6, 11 7:22 PM
Wow, I love this game alot!! The graphics are very nice & bright...the game play is a decent length so far too. The mini games are pretty easy ut enjoyable. I highly recommend this game. i give this game a 2 .....happy gaming all!

Go to: