Becca_jxxx
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Murders: Jack the Ripper

[Post New]by Becca_jxxx on Sep 4, 11 4:18 PM
This is a very good game IMO. It has good graphics, good storyline, good music and good gameplay. It kept my interest for the whole hour and the trial went by quite quickly. You play as a couple of different characters. This is a buy for me.

mar39
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by mar39 on Sep 4, 11 5:51 PM
There is a Jack The Ripper game out there that isn't HOG....I want to say Sherlock HOlmes vs Jack The Ripper. Not through Big Fish (sorry). I'm not thrilled with the medium/occult stuff just because I think it's been overdone. I've read a great deal on this, and while certianly not a "Ripperologist", I do have my own ideas. So far, this game has been interesting to me in it's scenes, etc. Like someone said, though, it's the usual suspects. And it seems to be greatly themed on the graphic novel "From Hell" which, yes I enjoyed, and yes I enjoyed the Johnny Depp movie thoroughly, but I don't agree with the conclusion.

Basically, give me dark, foggy Victorian streets in a bad part of town, and some murders, and I'll play it if the story, graphics and music is okay. And this one is for me.

[Post New]by coffeykup on Sep 4, 11 5:55 PM
is there a walkthrough for this game yet?

mar39
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by mar39 on Sep 4, 11 6:35 PM
apparently not yet, coffeecup. I managed to finish with two visits to the forum. If I can help, let me know.

Done....enjoyed the game. Thought it was really good for an SE. If I had my druthers, I'd have a JTR game based totally on the facts, with 360 degree turns, and lots more locations. It doesn't have to be a HOG, I'm more into adventure games anyway. But, this one isn't bad!

[Post New]by coffeykup on Sep 4, 11 7:44 PM
i am stuck where the keys are down the grate, i can't seem to get them and i am stumped as to what to do next. i cant' get to a past scene or the next scene with out getting these keys and unlocking the barber shop. i must be missing something that is right in front of my face lol

Very Good Game; but needed a Walkthrough

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Sep 5, 11 8:39 AM
I just finished the full version of the game. I have some mixed reactions, but the bottom line is I liked the game and I recommend it.

First, under different circumstances, I would rate the concept of this game near a 10. However, I don't like HOS that much and this game had a bunch of them. The funny thing is, they weren't that bad. Most of the items were pretty easy to find and although there is a random-click penalty, it's very lenient and you can get around it. I random-clicked about once every second and never incurred the penalty. The Hint meter also recharges relatively fast.

Other than that, I thought the game was excellent, but it was too difficult. It needed a Walkthough, at least for me. If any game needed a Walkthough; this one did. I read here that MargieB said they would have a Walkthrough ready after Labor Day, but I already finished the game. It's a little tough once you start playing a game to say, okay I'll stop playing now and wait for the Walkthrough. It doesn't work that way.

I played the game over a 2 day period. I needed help for just one thing in about the first 7 chapters. I don't know if I got better at it, but I didn't need help after that and that made the game much better.

(continued)

Edited on 09/06/2011 at 2:51:34 AM PST

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Sep 5, 11 8:55 AM
(continued from previous message)

My point is that with a Walkthrough, i can find the one thing I am having a problem with in 20-30 seconds, and then get back to the game. Without the Walkthrough, I had to check this forum and I found all the help I needed. But even using the Advanced Search here, it took me about 10-12 minutes to find the answer I needed because not everyone labels their threads with a good Subject label. So at the beginning, I was playing the game, got stuck, came here for 10-12 minutes for an answer, and then went back to the game. That detracted from my enjoyment of the game.

Spoiler Alert:

Here is one example. In one scene, there was a sack outside and in the backyard there was a tile down the drain and also a window with a bottle on it. When you click on the window, you pick something up, and yet, you were still able to access the window. So I figured there must be something else there, but I just couldn't find it. I also had a barrel of beer and a shovel head in inventory. I figured I needed something like a knife to cut open the sack, and then pick up the ingredients with the shovel, but I had no knife. So I came here and it turns out there was a scalpel on the window sill, but I simply never saw it. Then after that it was clear sailing. Use the scalpel on the sack, pick up cement with the shovel, and pour it down the drain. Then pour the beer down and get the tile. The problem was between trying to figure it out myself and then having to come here, it took me about 25 minutes. I had to go through this once for each of the first 7 chapters.

So not having a Walkthrough created a problem for me. But oither than that, the game was great. The game had voices and I love that in a game. I wish all games had voices. Plus the voice acting was excellent. You try to solve the Jack the Ripper Murders by playing as a clairvoyant, a news reporter, and a Scotland Yard Inspector. The mini-gmes were fun and the music and sound effects were great. But it was the graphics that were truly outstanding. Very moody and atmospheric. The game drew me in and I enjoyed playing it. I'm not that crazy about the supernatural, so playing as the clairvoyant was my least favorite part oif the game, but it was still good.

Because of no Walkthrough and all the HOS, I rate this game an 8 out of 10. Future players will have the Walkthough, so then I would rate it a 9. And if you like HOS, then you should put this game at the top of your list.

Edited on 09/05/2011 at 9:10:10 AM PST

bfgHondo
Manatee
Manatee
3,712 Posts

[Post New]by bfgHondo on Sep 5, 11 10:05 AM
Hi everyone!

I just wanted to post a reminder in here that this thread has been reserved for reviews of this game only.

If you haven't played this game yet, or if you're just looking to chat with other fishies about this game, please visit the 'Comments for Mystery Murders: Jack the Ripper' thread.

If you're looking for game help, please feel free to create a new thread in the Mystery Murders: Jack the Ripper Forum by clicking on the 'Create New Discussion' button.

Thanks!

-bfgHondo

[Post New]by grenique on Sep 6, 11 1:54 PM
Ok sampled the game< was really not my style way too easy< It kept glitching from scene to scene< the voices were drab, graphics were ok, all&all a for me! It felt like a begginers game!

OzzyRobyn
Minnow
Minnow
254 Posts

Re:Mystery Murders: Jack the Ripper - Review and Comments

[Post New]by OzzyRobyn on Sep 7, 11 9:39 AM
Yes, baseball bats would be OK. My pet peeve is boomerangs, which seem to pop up everywhere.

retroFish wrote:
anubischick wrote: You would have found baseball bats in 19th Century England. It actually started in England. There's even a mention of it in Northanger Abbey and that was written just before 1800. However I do understand exactly what you mean, anachronistic HOG irritate me too. If a mobile (cell) phone turns up in a HOG scene in this one I'm going to be annoyed no end.

Cool I didn't know that always thought it was an American thing. Well I found no mobile phones or ipods when I played it anyway so your safe there.
The graphics are actually very good in this game with great period scenes and detailed recreations of many of the locations from the original murders. I have always had a bit of an interest in Jack the Ripper and the locations are actually pretty authentic from what I have seen so far. Looking forward to seeing if they have all the murder scenes in the full game

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Sep 7, 11 8:19 PM
Hi, grenique. You found the game too easy. Well, that's interesting. How much of the game did you sample? For me, it was one of the more difficult games. It gets harder after the 1st chapter.

zorroback2
Herring
Herring
302 Posts

[Post New]by zorroback2 on Sep 11, 11 12:42 PM
I am stuck and I do not like it

Tikatoy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Tikatoy on Sep 13, 11 10:43 PM
I got this game under the impression that it was going to be a supernatural take on the Jack the Ripper story, which I suppose it was, but I was also hoping that it was going to be an original story.

Pros:
- Loved the locations/scenes and visual effects when Emma de Ville was having her visions. The red mist was a nice effect, and I didn't have any problems with it when finding objects in scenes.
- Good, atmospheric music, if somewhat repetitive. (There was one theme that I hated, but I liked the others)
- Good voice acting for the most part. Emma's freaked out voice wasn't that great, although I understand it's tough to deliver normal dialogue in a terrified tone.
- Enjoyed the Victorian London setting. While the art was not beautiful, I thought it conveyed the grittiness of the locations.

Cons:
- Trying to stop a serial killer, so why am I doing mundane things like finding money to buy a train ticket and mixing up laudanum? I think there were some other tasks that were even duller to the point I've forgotten them.
(The rest are story spoilers, highlight to read)
- If someone keeps coming to the police station and giving the exact address where the killer is going to strike next, wouldn't you immediately suspect them of being the killer or working with the killer???
- The plot is almost identical to the plot of From Hell (a movie based on a comic book, which is in turn based on ideas from Stephen Knight's book). They basically took Abberline's psychic abilities and opium addiction away from him and gave them to Emma de Ville, and added the reporter character (who did nothing of importance except fabricate the "Dear Boss" letter) and some astrological symbols, but other than that it's the same, right down to the ending with a lobotomized William Gull drooling in an asylum.

It's one thing to take a classic story and put your own spin on it (or maybe even just stick exactly to the original storyline), but I'm uncomfortable with taking somebody's extremely specific interpretation/version of something and then producing something that's almost exactly the same.

The Bottom Line:
Great, atmospheric Victorian London setting, decent voice acting and music, awesome, creepy dream sequences, but a storyline that was copied almost entirely from a movie.

medic1960
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by medic1960 on Sep 15, 11 7:25 AM
I thought that the storyline was weak but that is hardly the fault of the game makers as we know so little about the actual events.
That aside, I enjoyed this game and the mini-games. I would rate it value for money with a score of 7/10.

Thank you.

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Sep 16, 11 8:57 AM
This apparently was made by the same company as the rather poor hidden object game from a while back, Real Crimes, Jack the Ripper. It was like an interactive remake, since some of the exact same graphic location scenes were used, as well as the way the documented facts were presented, etc.

It was a decent game, if you don't mind rehashing these cases. The best part was actually the voice acting - which is not usually a strong point in these types of games.

The adventure elements and Victorian theme were well developed, and the game was quite long, but the hidden object and other scenes were revisited quite a bit.

All in all, it was really the best game by these developers from the few I have played or trialed (they also produced Twisted - A Haunted Carol, which I did not like at all). It is certainly not on the level of so many of the much better similar style games that are out there. But it is probably a good game for those who need to use an extra game coupon and like a mystery style game.

NANONAN
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

Re:Mystery Murders: Jack the Ripper - Review and Comments

[Post New]by NANONAN on Sep 18, 11 10:02 AM
layzeedaisy wrote:
anubischick I do have to correct you on one point, though You would have found baseball bats in 19th Century England. It actually started in England. There's even a mention of it in Northanger Abbey and that was written just before 1800. wrote:

Well, I never ! We sent baseball to America, how about that !!! And dare I say it's the best place for it ?

haha - too funny. I think I agree too. Don't want cricket over there as well do you?

NANONAN
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by NANONAN on Sep 18, 11 10:10 AM
Bit too slow a game for me. Mini games can't be called puzzles as there was nothing puzzling about them, just too simple. I found no challenge in this game at all and I'm not a whizz kid by any means. Shame really as I would have liked to follow the storyline to the end, but just too bored to do so. No buy for me.

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Sep 18, 11 5:50 PM
Finished the game in about 2 days, and rather liked it! There is a walkthrough and I had to refer to it 3 times. I really appreciated the voiceovers, but man, did they talk super slowly, or what??? Good thing there was a skip button. I also really hate misclick penalties. If I click something and nothing happens, I KNOW I misclicked... no need to rub it in...

Glad I bought and played it.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Sep 20, 11 9:51 AM
Wow you really need sneakers for this game, a couple pairs, Loved everything the game had to offer, I bought the game and I am glad I did, This game has brought me many hours of enjoyment, Thx DEV's out all out did yourselves in this game Kuddo's as always to BFG, They rock I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate you for all your hard work trying to please your fishes in the pond..This game is excellent..
Love the graphics and sounds..

[Post New]by ShimShalabim on Sep 20, 11 6:00 PM
Pure drudgery! I wouldn't play it if it were free.

Go to: