ARETHORN
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

Re:Reviews for Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek Collector's Edition

[Post New]by ARETHORN on Sep 6, 11 5:26 PM
What a absolutely amazing game.Have just finished including the bonus mission and took my time by not using skip to savour every moment.Can find no fault in this game and by adding a collect evidence board has expanded the HOG/Adventure hybrid yet again.Will be keeping a eye on this game developer for future releases and follow up to this title.BRILLIANT BRILLIANT BRILLIANT

Very Good; but could have been better

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Sep 6, 11 9:17 PM
I just finished the game. I had posted my initial reaction after completing Chapter 1 and called the game Absolutely Brilliant. Now that I finished it, I just changed the title of my initial post to Almost Absolutely Brilliant. I liked the game a lot and I recommend it, but as I played it, there were some things I just didn't like about it.

This game was really good, but it could have been so much more. The First Chapter really draws you in and I liked the whole premise and the excellent voice acting. The graphics, music, and sound effects were nice. You have a Journal that contains Notes, Objectives, and a Map. The Journal was well done as the Notes constantly update and the Objectives were very helpful. With the Map, you can't click on it to go to a new location, but it was still very good because it tells you if any actions are required at any given location. As a detective you are trying to solve a series of murders and there is a novel feature called an Evidence Board. As you collect evidence, it goes on the board and then you can look at it and have to place it in the right place on the board and make deductions as to the crimes. Many of the mini-games were original and most were very enjoyable. The Skip button becomes available fairly quickly. The game was well though-out, has an intriguing storyline, and was interesting. At this point, it is an Absolutely Brilliant game.

However, I am not a big fan of Hidden Object Scenes (HOS) and this game was loaded with them. Originally, I didn’t think they would be a problem because the good news is that there is No Random-Click Penalty and the Hint Meter recharges in 30 seconds. Great. Plus, there weren’t that many HOS in the First Chapter, after which I wrote my initial impressions. But that all changed as I continued to play. I counted in the Strategy Guide and there were 41 HOS during the game. But the big problem for me was that even with the No-Click Penalty, these HOS were laborious. It wasn’t that the objects were that hard to see, but that they were scattered all over the scene, so even with the random clicking, I had trouble finding the objects. As the game progressed, it started to deteriorate into a mindless series of HOS. At one point, I think there were 4-5 HOS in a row, some at the same location. I don’t really like playing one HOS, then one at another location, and then going right back to the first one.

(cont.)

Edited on 09/07/2011 at 3:23:39 AM PST

Very Good, but could have been better 2

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Sep 6, 11 9:18 PM
(cont. from previous message)

If you like HOS, then this should be great for you. But for me, there were too many of them and that lowered my rating for this game.

Also, a few other small points concerning the interface. One, messages about things you click on appear at the top of the screen and stay there too long. Sometimes on the evidence board, a message would appear and block some evidence at the top of the board that I was trying to look at. Very annoying. Second, the interface was very clunky in some of the mini-games, especially the jig-saw puzzles and when you had to move items around to find what was underneath them. I had a lot of trouble moving puzzle pieces around and making them stay where I tried to put them. They would keep going back to where I picked them up from.

The Bonus Chapter was a bit short and slightly different. There was no Evidence Board. There was also no Map and you didn’t need it to see where to go because there weren’t that many locations. However, I still wanted it to see if you had any objectives at a given location. The Bonus Chapter wasn’t that creative and turned into an endless series of HOS.

With that being said, I couldn’t stop playing the game because, HOS aside, the game was really very good. I just didn’t like all those HOS, but put up with them because the rest of the game was great. I rate this game an 8.5 out of 10 and it would have been 9.5, if not for those 41 HOS in the game.

Stay tuned for the new Fontana Theory that I will be posting soon about Hidden Object Scenes.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 7, 11 12:02 PM
Finished the game now - played it over 3 days. I enjoyed it - not as much as some, but still enjoyed it.

And the good things about this CE is that I enjoyed the bonus game even more than the main game, and it took me well over an hour to finish. So that is a "bonus". LOL

msmithnc
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
439 Posts

[Post New]by msmithnc on Sep 8, 11 7:00 AM
My only complaint is that I got so engrossed in the demo that my time ran out before I remembered to look at the SG to estimate how long the game would be for me ! I'm pretty sure I'll be buying this CE, even though I have gotten away from CE's lately because they just haven't seemed worth the extra cost.

I also have to comment that I have had A LOT of trouble lately with alot of games becoming very sluggish to the point of freezing up (i.e. you can barely move the cursor); by quitting and restarting it fixes the problem for a little while but not for long. I didn't notice that problem with this game in an hour of play - HOORAY!

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Sep 8, 11 4:14 PM
Oooh, what an intriguing demo! Looks like a great quality game from what I can see, took me 50 mins so a good length as well. Great graphics, voiceovers and puzzles so far enjoyable. I am a bit concerned about the number of H0 scenes however, as they can get boring quite quickly. Umming and aahing over this one - I have several games (STAN and Grim Tales the Bride included) to play so do I really need a new game, and a CE at that? Hmmmm Will sleep on it (it's past midnight here).

Looking forward to the next Fontana Theory anyway

[Post New]by spikescajunmom on Sep 8, 11 9:25 PM
This game was a definite buy for me after the demo. One of my faves this summer. I like HOS so I enjoyed this one. Storyline and graphics were very good. Good mix of HOS, puzzles, searching, although may have a few too many HOS for some. Liked the bonus chapter, but I will agree with others that it was way too short. Forgot to time myself on this one, but on played on Expert mode and it took at least 5 hours.

rdekker1
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by rdekker1 on Sep 8, 11 9:33 PM
Because I'm trying to save for a trip, I can't spend a whole lot on games each month. I made a list of the games I really want and each month I try to get a few, Each time there is a new game, I try it and if I like it then it goes on my list to buy later. But with this game, I tried the hour trial, and after the hour was up I wanted more. So I didn't even put it on my list. I bought it. I'm not done it yet, but I am having a blast playing. There have been quite a few times that something in thegame scares me and I jump. Thats exactly the kind of game I like, Keep up these games, and I might be going on my trip later then I plan.

togood2be
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by togood2be on Sep 9, 11 3:42 AM
A couple of pages into the reviews and have not read one bad thing. I'm excited but afraid of being disappointed lol. Just like the movies I guess, read great reviews and I am never satified!!

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Sep 9, 11 2:21 PM
Couldn't resist it after all Will be playing in bed tonight (soon! - it's 10.20pm here) and can't wait. This is my Friday night partying...

[Post New]by Scullrock1977 on Sep 9, 11 6:39 PM
This game totally ROCKS! I enjoyed the story line and it made me jump a couple of times. I can't wait for the sequel and hope that Big Fish Games makes more games like this one!

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Sep 10, 11 10:48 AM
I must agree with the others in saying that this is one of the better games that I have played this year! It was a long game with many interesting locations and lots of hunting back and forth across the landscape, which was lovely in all its autumn hues. There were a lot of hidden object scenes, but they were not too difficult.

I was so startled that I also jumped a few times, something I've usually only done in large file games, and a feature that I enjoyed. This is a really good detective story, with a evidence board for gathering clues, and nice graphics and cut scenes. A couple of the puzzles were quite tricky. The bonus game, while not very long, explained - in a prequel style, the meaning behind the story.

Artifex Mundi did a great job with this game. It's the first time I've ever used 2 game credits on a game, and I'm glad I used them on this game, rather than the latest ERS game, which have become rather predictable to me. I'll certainly be looking forward to the sequel to this game!

eedebeep
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

A very good hidden object CE

[Post New]by eedebeep on Sep 10, 11 11:51 AM
This is a pretty good hidden object game, I will definitely buy the sequel. The title is misleading, don't expect any ghosts! The length, story, scenes, etc are good, puzzles are a little on the easy side (I played expert mode). Well worth the CE price. A

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Sep 10, 11 4:50 PM
Oh, what can I say? - except, I LOVED this game!!!

Great graphics, fantastic atmospheric music, good voiceovers, stonking puzzles and some jumpy moments! Good, variable locations - just enough to keep it interesting but at the same time not so many that I got lost.

This is one of those rare games which totally grabbed my attention from the start, and sucked me into the story and wouldn't let me go! For me, it was like watching a movie, just with me involved. The sense of urgency and panic was palpable and I so wanted to solve the mystery and get the heck out of Maple Creek! It definitely reminded me of Shiver: The Vanishing Hitchhiker, another amazing game, with the same kind of feel and excitement.

I haven't completed the bonus chapter yet, as it's bedtime

An amazing game and, for me, well worth the money It took me approx 5-6 hours to play, which represents great value. Did I mention I loved it?!!

jessikart
Guppy
Guppy
136 Posts

[Post New]by jessikart on Sep 11, 11 12:31 AM
This game doesn't need another rave review, but I feel I have to add one anyway!

Brilliant game, great plotline, fantastic graphics and excellent atmosphere - I was seriously spooked by some moments. Loved the Evidence wall, a really clever way of adding more to the game.

Thank you devs, this really feels like a proper CE, not just a SE with SG attached.

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on Sep 11, 11 7:21 AM
I always seem to be at the tail end of Reviews or posting a Comment. I just finished and agree with TeamSD....it's straight A's. And with LovetoMissLisa...."fine swine". It started out with mostly Adventure which pleased me, but the H0s gradually increased and were too junkpile-ish. The background music and sounds were pleasant and I especially liked the one particular bird chirping. I liked the puzzles and the instructions explained things well. There wasn't too much dialogue and it was pertinent. However, (here comes my 'however'), the Bonus game was very short and didn't seem to be made by the same Dev team. Nonetheless, I thought it was an excellent game and enjoyed it. Good job Artifex Mundi and thanks BF.

zorroback2
Herring
Herring
302 Posts

[Post New]by zorroback2 on Sep 11, 11 12:56 PM
Spoked

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Sep 11, 11 8:45 PM
after reading all these rave reviews, i shall have to play the rest of the demo.
i played about 20 mins and quite frankly i could not see what all fuss was about.
i found the "background" music invasive, the womans voice irritating, the graphics just ok, and too many h.o. scenes.

maybe i am just tired , will try again tomorrow

janierae
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by janierae on Sep 12, 11 6:41 AM
I enjoyed the entire game, but like some of the other comments, there were a lot of Hidden Object Scenes. They got rather tiring and boring. And, the bonus chapter was good but, the voice acting had me giggling. It was so bad, it was hysterical.....

[Post New]by Blooming_Lilac on Sep 12, 11 11:50 AM
I realize I'm in the minority, but I wasn't impressed with this game at all.

The demo was a lot of fun and I just had to have the game. I normally don't buy CEs and I wish I hadn't this time.

When I purchased the game, even though I had set up a profile, I had to go back through and replay quite a few scenes. I don't know why it didn't save my progress. That wasn't a major deal because I was so excited about the game.

The countless H0 scenes ruined it for me. I found myself speeding through and using hints to get out of said scenes. It's not fun, in my opinion, to have to return to the same junk pile 2 or 3 times.

The sounds were extremely annoying. I turned the volume off halfway through. I've never had to do that with any other game. The female detective's voice was fine but I hated the male voice overs.

The graphics were spectacular in some scenes but not so crisp in others. Some hidden objects were impossible for me to find.

The strategy guide was nice to have when I was stuck but I didn't use it that much.

In my opinion, the bonus chapter wasn't worth the price of the CE because I didn't care for it at all and it really wasn't necessary to complete the storyline. The storyline itself just didn't grab me.

Maybe I would've liked the game if I hadn't been so tired. I don't really know, but I highly doubt I'll play it again.

There just wasn't enough adventure to suit me. I suppose I've been spoiled by other games.

Go to: