TGT: Syberia ... Wow!!!

Re:TGT: Syberia ... Wow!!!

[Post New]by Bigfishette on Jan 8, 09 12:29 AM
I have played Syberia 2 and never found the first one. So pleased BFG offered it. Love this game.

But be careful and remember to save often. I didn't and my computer crashed for some reason and I had to start over from a place I saved near the beginning. Bummer. I get carried away with playing and forget to save.

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Jan 8, 09 12:45 AM
MiddleAged wrote:Thanks! Is it a RPG?

Interesting question for middle-of-night wanderers...what IS an RPG? Seems like not long ago there was a distinction between this kind of game and a "traditional" RPG...and I think the distinction is valid, but I might be out-of-date.

An RPG lets you play a character, or characters, who are in an open-ended environment. Quests and background stories, and perhaps even an "end-of-the-story" quest are there, but the primary focus is on developing the character(s) - leveling up, improving skills, buying better accessories, etc. The player has more to identify with and more "say" over how the character will progress.

In Syberia, you experience the story through an avatar whose actions you control, but the character is fully developed and the focus is on the story. So technically, I guess, you are playing a role - but in actuality, the character cannot change and is simply a medium between you and the story - a way to apply the solutions to the problems. Basically, if you ever played Zork or another text adventure, the character is taking the place of the cursor...instead of typing "pick up the gears" you point and click and your character picks up the gears.

So my answer to you would be no, this is not an RPG. However, it is a pretty and interesting adventure game.

Edited on 01/08/2009 at 12:47:18 AM PST

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Jan 8, 09 12:50 AM
Bigfishette wrote:I have played Syberia 2 and never found the first one. So pleased BFG offered it. Love this game.

But be careful and remember to save often. I didn't and my computer crashed for some reason and I had to start over from a place I saved near the beginning. Bummer. I get carried away with playing and forget to save.

So very true! I actually have a little sign taped where I can see it, over top the screen of my monitor: "Save early, save often!" so I don't forget. Applies to more than games, too.

4mybirds4
Salmon
Salmon
2,663 Posts

[Post New]by 4mybirds4 on Jan 8, 09 7:42 AM
rosiekb wrote:Is anyone else having problems with playing Syberia? I get to a certain point at the station/university and an error message pops up and says it is having to close down. Any ideas on what I should do?? Otherwise, this is an AMAZING game and I can recommend it, if only I can carry on playing it and not getting knocked off!!!

Yes, I am also having the same problem! I get to the point where she gets the egg and crawls down from there and my screen either freezes or I get and error message. This has happened to me 4 times already and I have even made sure my DirectX was updated.

TomPop
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by TomPop on Jan 8, 09 7:47 AM
For anyone not sure whether they'll like this game or not, some kindly souls on youtube have uploaded some cutscenes and some of the gameplay so you can take a peek, although some may contain spoilers. There are some uploads of just the soundtrack too (which is magnificent alone).

I've played other 'large file' games this past year but none (in my opinion anyhow) have come anywhere near this gorgeous game. It may not be for everyone as it not action packed, but it's definitely a stand alone in terms of graphics and storyline. I loved it (can you tell )

[Post New]by nannyogg on Jan 8, 09 8:57 AM
Im having the same problem where she has just got the egg and climbed down to the platform and it shuts down on me with an error message. Anyone found out what is wrong and how to put it right yet? thanks

Alrydian
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Alrydian on Jan 8, 09 10:13 AM
I'm so happy Siberia is available on BFG, I was reading some reviews on it a few weeks ago (sounds like a must have in adventure games) and I rembember saying I wish this game was on BFG.
Can't wait to download and play it.

So glad I saved my last credit and waited for a great game, thanks BFG

FireOpal
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
447 Posts

[Post New]by FireOpal on Jan 8, 09 10:25 AM
I too am a fan of this series and bought them when they were originally released. I did prefer 1 over 2, but still enjoyed the 2nd one. The graphics are stunning, the story is pretty interesting, and the puzzles range from middling to hard. It's great to see BFG pick this up as a dl release. Hopefully they'll get the Longest Journey and sequel too!

[Post New]by Maureen14 on Jan 8, 09 7:43 PM
Thanks so much Poodlebear!

wwax
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by wwax on Jan 9, 09 2:13 PM
Hi Nanny Ogg - I had same problem - kept reloading saved game and eventually got passed this - I think you have to talk to stationmaster who has now moved to one of the bridges (one before exit to uni) check whether there's anything you haven't done - cheers weatherwax
Sorry Tom you weren't having this prob were you?
But what a great game - can I admit that i had a tear when it finished?

Edited on 01/09/2009 at 2:22:49 PM PST

[Post New]by Lily555 on Jan 9, 09 3:41 PM
I can't say WOW about this game. It is so slow! The dialogue takes forever! Is there a way to click through the dialogue quickly? Thanks

[Post New]by WriterInTheRain on Jan 9, 09 4:43 PM
I bought Syberia 1, played it through and it asked me "Do you want to play Syberia 2?" and, of course, after just finishing 1, I was good to go. Then it closed. Sigh. I guess it was a tease, huh?

Where's a good place to get a good price for d/l on Syberia 2? I truly loved this game and I'm picky picky picky about graphics. This one was exquisite!

bfgErie
Catfish
Catfish
1,538 Posts

[Post New]by bfgErie on Jan 9, 09 5:05 PM
Hi Lily555,

Welcome to the forums. If you right click (click on the mouse button on the right), you'll skip right through the text. You can find a full list of instructions on how to play the game here:

Syberia - Instructions on How To Play

bfgErie

Edited on 01/09/2009 at 5:05:40 PM PST

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Jan 9, 09 5:05 PM
You can't d/l Syberia 2, you'd have to buy it on disc. I think I paid about £10 in 2005 as it had been around for a while.

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Jan 9, 09 5:07 PM
Erie, I'm playing without subtitles and it doesn't skip the speech, so you still have to go through all the dialogue.
But saying that, if you don't you will miss important information.

shindy77
Herring
Herring
319 Posts

[Post New]by shindy77 on Jan 10, 09 5:22 PM
If you go back to the game options screen on the main menu, you can select subtitles ON, which will enable you to skip through dialogue in the game by right-clicking. This is a veeeery helpful feature!

AlmostSilver
Minnow
Minnow
272 Posts

[Post New]by AlmostSilver on Jan 10, 09 5:44 PM
Just finished this game...ditto on the WOW. I'm exhausted but I enjoyed the ride. The "Blue Helena" got me...thought I knew exactly how to make that drink...3rd time was a charm. Made perfect sense when I finally made it the right way. Great graphics and I did not experience any glitches whatsoever. (I confess that I had to refer to the walkthrough more than once (twice) oh no three times.) I couldn't get the logic (must be just me)but I did enjoy it, as I said. My husband loved the opera singer.

[Post New]by substancekilla on Jan 10, 09 6:50 PM
hey has anyone hit a glitch with this game??? about half way through the game when i get up the ladder in t he avaiary the scnree goes black and i cant get it to do anything ... i hafta restart my computer to get a regular screen..anyone else having this problem?

sunny64
Guppy
Guppy
108 Posts

[Post New]by sunny64 on Jan 10, 09 7:42 PM
Thanks mews for the tip on running for Kate. Click twice and she does run. This is really a fun game.

I haven't played Myst for some years and only one other large adventure game so I do have to consult some walkthroughs when I get stuck. It now makes sense for obtaining clues..... I am currently using the data from two walkthroughs and they are different for strategy. I guess that's what makes this game so interesting.

I do have great holes in my computer knowledge, going from simple to advanced, so it is so helpful to have all the other fishies out there that may help.....and they always do! So thanks to BFG and all the rest of you experienced fishies that take the time to help others!

sno13wy
Lobster
Lobster
95 Posts

[Post New]by sno13wy on Jan 11, 09 7:48 AM
I'd like to thank all forum posters...Your hints and helps saved me from having to wait for help from tech
and not downloading unnecessary updates. Whoever said "save early and save often" helped me
the most. After that problem at the ladder with birds, I saved when I got the egg, and many times
thereafter..I guess the game just needs to rest now and again. I have now gotten to the wall and going
for my exit visa...I LOVE this game.

Go to: