silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

Re:Review for Haunted Legends: The Bronze Horseman Collector's Edition

[Post New]by silverink on Sep 9, 11 10:21 AM
I too have been disappointed in the ERS games in terms of the standardized formula game design. I noticed it as early as the second Puppetshow game, and its kind of stuck with me ever since. Of course, that hasn't stopped me from buying and playing these games, due to the incredibly beautiful graphics and enjoyable, if somewhat repetitive game play. Its kind of like being in a recurring dream - you know you've been there before, but for some reason everything looks a little different...

There are so many games out there that have lovely graphics as well as involving game play and an interesting story. Unfortunately, the ERS games are not raising the bar with each new release, which is why their games seem the same time after time.

It would be really great to see these very talented developers use their great creativity to take these games a step forward. I'd like to have a deeper, more well developed and interesting story - these characters and story lines seem like they should be extremely interesting, but when you scratch the surface, there just isn't much there - and there is no suspense. Also, it would be nice to have more involving and complex game play - I'd like to puzzle a bit more over what to do with my inventory objects, or what to do next in general - it is just a little too obvious with the current formula. The hard mode really doesn't do much in terms of challenge either.

I really hope the developers read these reviews - and balance the great ones with the more critical ones, which seem to be growing in number with each release.

But with all of that being said, this was still a very well-made game with lovely graphics and smooth interactive game play, although the background story could have been much better. The lags between scenes that I noticed in some of their recent games seemed much better this time around, and the puzzles were improved too. I really liked the monster fighting mini-game in the bonus round and loved that the credits indicated they used the faces of their development team for the crystal souls - very cool.

Overall, a great but predictable game that was very enjoyable but lacked much in terms of challenge or depth.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Sep 9, 11 12:00 PM
I purchased this CE and just finished playing it, and I enjoyed every minute of it, I guess you could say, that I am an ERS fan .
For me, this kind of game is one I like to play, when I just need to relax, and get away from lifes everyday stress.
The graphics are always nice, along with game flow, it moves along well with no frustration, which is a nice change of pace for me.
I don't care for really difficult games and puzzles, so this one did not disappoint, I never got stuck, I am not always the sharpest tool in the shed, when it comes to figuring out puzzles, so although this might have been to easy, for some, it was perfect for me .
I purchased that Goblin CE, and was all excited at first, during the demo, but after I bought it, I realized almost every single move, was a puzzle, you had to figure out.
I was so bored, I was falling asleep at my computer, because the game play was so slow for me, that was a waste of money and I didn't enjoy playing it.
I was affraid that was going to happen with this game, but it didn't, I LOVED the game play, thanks ERS, job well done.
There are some of us who would rather have and easier game, there are plenty of difficult ones, for those who like them, so please don't start making them to hard.
The reasons I always buy ERS games, is because I know what I am getting, and I am ALWAYS happy, with my purchase.
I just LOVED the little man, I always try to catch him, but the little ****, always gets away.
I thought the faces of the developement team, in the crystal's was a neat touch, and I liked collecting them, and using them in the end.
This was just my type of game, I liked the bonus play, and lots of H0 scenes, with very well H0's, I must say, at least the last object was a challenge sometimes.
I thought the mini's were unique and different, and the puzzles also, and most of all it was well worth the CE price, so I give it ...THANK YOU .
I cannot wait for Haunted Legends: Undertaker to become available, for purchase, I will be the first in line, to buy it, it said coming soon, so I will be waiting !
For those of you who want a relaxing gaming experience, were you don't have to pull your hair out, this is a MUST try..ENJOY, I know I did !!

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Sep 9, 11 12:33 PM
I do so love ERS games, butthis one seemed to go a little too guickly..and I'm a slow player. The bonus was a definate otherwise this is not long enough to be a CE.

But, to be fair..this game is up to the ERS standards. Beautiful graphics, great voices, painting s next to no one, relaxed play and lots of quirky and creative add-ons..like the HOG scenes that are in red..some items are just plain funny how you find them.

It seems that the ERS crew like what they are doing. My only finger wag at them is..need to change the music, this was the same score as an earlier game and was extemely repetative. Oh, the the little weird guy keeps popping up in these games.

Lengthen the game out again, ERS, we really exprext you to be at the top and the leader..don't start cutting back, especially with length of CE games, we're playing almost double. If you were eating out and payed double, wouldn't expect almost double the food on your plate?
kris

Mimisix
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by Mimisix on Sep 9, 11 1:31 PM
I thoroughly agree with everything Silverink posted. I was kinda surprised to see that I'm not the only one who feels this way. These games have gotten just too predictable. Such a waste when there is so much potential for a really great game. Why the need for wonderful voices when the incessant, irritating music just plays over and over. I had to turn off the sound and turn it back on for the voices. That music just got on my last nerve. I always play in hard mode and can't imagine how boring easy play must be. Its time to step up the game ERS.

zorroback2
Herring
Herring
302 Posts

[Post New]by zorroback2 on Sep 9, 11 2:12 PM
quarlesqueen wrote:I purchased this CE and just finished playing it, and I enjoyed every minute of it, I guess you could say, that I am an ERS fan .
For me, this kind of game is one I like to play, when I just need to relax, and get away from lifes everyday stress.
The graphics are always nice, along with game flow, it moves along well with no frustration, which is a nice change of pace for me.
I don't care for really difficult games and puzzles, so this one did not disappoint, I never got stuck, I am not always the sharpest tool in the shed, when it comes to figuring out puzzles, so although this might have been to easy, for some, it was perfect for me .
I purchased that Goblin CE, and was all excited at first, during the demo, but after I bought it, I realized almost every single move, was a puzzle, you had to figure out.
I was so bored, I was falling asleep at my computer, because the game play was so slow for me, that was a waste of money and I didn't enjoy playing it.
I was affraid that was going to happen with this game, but it didn't, I LOVED the game play, thanks ERS, job well done.
There are some of us who would rather have and easier game, there are plenty of difficult ones, for those who like them, so please don't start making them to hard.
The reasons I always buy ERS games, is because I know what I am getting, and I am ALWAYS happy, with my purchase.
I just LOVED the little man, I always try to catch him, but the little ****, always gets away.
I thought the faces of the developement team, in the crystal's was a neat touch, and I liked collecting them, and using them in the end.
This was just my type of game, I liked the bonus play, and lots of H0 scenes, with very well H0's, I must say, at least the last object was a challenge sometimes.
I thought the mini's were unique and different, and the puzzles also, and most of all it was well worth the CE price, so I give it ...THANK YOU .
I cannot wait for Haunted Legends: Undertaker to become available, for purchase, I will be the first in line, to buy it, it said coming soon, so I will be waiting !
For those of you who want a relaxing gaming experience, were you don't have to pull your hair out, this is a MUST try..ENJOY, I know I did !!

Edited on 09/09/2011 at 2:15:21 PM PST

rtrooney
Minnow
Minnow
210 Posts

[Post New]by rtrooney on Sep 9, 11 2:55 PM
I am a BIG ERS fan.

But I have to say that I'm becoming less of one. I have liked their games, but have to say I haven't loved one since the second Puppetshow.

The hidden-object scenes have no variety. The same props are used in every one. I'm tired of finding objects that aren't period appropriate. If a game is set in 15th century Venice, for example, is a spot-on map of North America an appropriate hidden object.

ERS seems to have become lazy. I've seen this game rated A+ in this thread. So I pose the question...when this game offers nothing new in terms of plot, hidden object scenes, puzzles or storyline over that which was offered in the last five or six ERS releases, how can it be rated an A+ in anything other than graphics, which I admit are up to the superb quality ERS is know for.

When the objective seems to be to release three or four games a month, (six or eight if you count the combined CE/SE releases,) there probably isn't much time left for creativity.

This will be the second ERS game that I will not buy, either in CE or SE. Straight out of the box I can finish an SE in under two hours. Replays average 1.5 hours. I'm not giving myself a pat on the back here. Merely saying that the games have become so predictable, there is no challenge to them. I expect more for my $6.99, and ERS is not delivering.

dootney
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by dootney on Sep 9, 11 3:27 PM
Really enjoyed this game. I liked the interaction in the Hidden Object Scenesl You werent penalized for feeling around and touching things to find what you needed. Some search scenes in some games expect every touch of the screen to be a hit and missed are not tolerated. I agree with all the nice things said about this game by everyone and am looking forward to the Undertaker. Bring it on.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Sep 9, 11 4:02 PM
CasualGran wrote:To me the ERS games more and more stand for 'Effortless Routine Series'. When you've never played one you'll probably love the first you play (that is if you're into this particular artwork style) But if you've played them all, or practically all, you'll be bored in no time by this 'new' one. Same old, same old including the sniveling little kid begging you for help.

Don't get me wrong, the game on itself is good enough (although it's questionable if it justifies the CE price). A lot of beginners in this category will be thrilled and of course your entire fanclub will be cheering. But to me this game is disappointing, if not to say flatout boring. I'm halfway in it, and I already regret I bought it. For instance: I'm playing the 'hard' mode but... sparkles still indicate the next H0 scene. Why oh why developers, do you keep doing this? Haven't there been enough complaints about it from players? And then the number of H0 scenes. I've got the strong impression you put in more and more of them and at the same time put less effort in 'adventure'. Really a pity. And if I read other reviews, I discover I won't have to expect a very interesting Bonus Game as well. It seems to be more like a teaser for the next game.

So, it seems wise to skip your CE's in the future and buy your SE's solely if... at all.

Strictly personal opinion of course.

CasualGran

edited for grammar

I agree with you 100 %. I just finished the game and this game was very boring and disappointing. Way too many H0 scenes and just not alot of fun to play. Not worthy of the CE price.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Sep 9, 11 4:06 PM
Dianneamyte wrote:I have always enjoyed the ERS games but lately, They just seem too much all the same.
I don't know If I just need a break from these games, but lately, I just don't seem to be enjoying them as much as I used to.

I would love to see some games like the Art of Murder, or NiBiRu but I have not seen any of these for a long while. I just get so tired of practically every other scene a HOG.

These games are beautifully done. I am not complaining about the quality at all and after a break with some interactive games, I am sure that I would enjoy these again.

Me too, loved both of those games, but I think we have a long wait. Large file adventure games seem to have gone bye bye. too bad.

ledheadmelli
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ledheadmelli on Sep 9, 11 5:29 PM
I think I can wait for the SE on this one - thanks for the helpful reviews! This one did hold my interest and leave me wanting more when the demo was through, but not enough to pay double for what sounds more like an ad for the next game. The music didn't annoy me, but I tend to tune that stuff out anyway once immersed in the game. From the comments, though, I think I might want to give "Queen of Spades" another look, so thanks for that as well.

And while it's a bit OT, I wanted to second the words of Lucy1997:

"Edited to add: it's ridiculous that we can't type "h0-hum" or "H0" in a review without using zeroes. Why would anyone refer to ladies of the night on BFG? In fact, to ban those words because of the word "wh*re" but to permit the word prostitute is just plain silly."

This has been a pet peeve of mine here at these forums for awhile. Clearly, there are HUMAN moderators available - why this unnecessary, and insulting AI censorship? For the most part, this forum is peopled by mature, intelligent and friendly gamers who rarely insult each other or speak crudely. The human mods do a good job of patrolling that, because I have never seen more than the ashes of an argument here.

I am so tired of translating all these stars into perfectly innocent words - it is distracting to say the least, and an insult to my intelligence and ability to function in a modern world. I'm a big girl now and don't feel the need to cancel my membership because someone posted a word or thought I personally found offensive. I'm far more offended by this misguided attempt to shield me from anything non-PC as though I'm too fragile to handle it (but not too fragile for subject matter that involves child abduction, murder, torture and pure, unadulterated evil?)

A little common sense would be much appreciated in my favorite forum.

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Sep 9, 11 6:43 PM
I am a HUGE ERS fan, but this game really disappointed me. Great graphics and voice overs, but it just didn't grab me. I honestly fell asleep three times while playing. It was pretty long play, but just a boring game. I purchased the CE, but really don't think it was worth the money, and I rarely say that.

Different strokes for different folks, so they say.... I suggest trying before buying this one and I'll surely do the same on the next ERS release instead of instantly purchasing.. something I've never done before. This game has made me a little skiddish... probably no replay value for me..... pity.

[Post New]by spikescajunmom on Sep 9, 11 8:16 PM
Another fantastic game from ERS! This was a definite buy. Beautiful graphics, interesting storyline, good mix of HOS, puzzles, searching. Thought the Bonus was a little too short, but it was enjoyable. If you haven't played Haunted Legends: The Queen of Spade and you like Bronze Horseman then you should!

Dianneamyte
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Dianneamyte on Sep 9, 11 10:37 PM
CasualGran wrote:To me the ERS games more and more stand for 'Effortless Routine Series'. When you've never played one you'll probably love the first you play (that is if you're into this particular artwork style) But if you've played them all, or practically all, you'll be bored in no time by this 'new' one. Same old, same old including the sniveling little kid begging you for help.

Don't get me wrong, the game on itself is good enough (although it's questionable if it justifies the CE price). A lot of beginners in this category will be thrilled and of course your entire fanclub will be cheering. But to me this game is disappointing, if not to say flatout boring. I'm halfway in it, and I already regret I bought it. For instance: I'm playing the 'hard' mode but... sparkles still indicate the next H0 scene. Why oh why developers, do you keep doing this? Haven't there been enough complaints about it from players? And then the number of H0 scenes. I've got the strong impression you put in more and more of them and at the same time put less effort in 'adventure'. Really a pity. And if I read other reviews, I discover I won't have to expect a very interesting Bonus Game as well. It seems to be more like a teaser for the next game.

So, it seems wise to skip your CE's in the future and buy your SE's solely if... at all.

CasualGran

edited for grammar

Dianneamyte
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Dianneamyte on Sep 9, 11 10:41 PM
Dianneamyte wrote:

CasualGran

edited for grammar

I totally agree with your post here. I was beginning to think that it was me and not the game that was boring. I do think that the scenes are beautiful but, the amount of HOGs are just way too many and, you don't have to think your way through these games. Just lead around by nose. Great for beginners but, please give those of us who have been playing longer, something to keep us interested.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 10, 11 2:17 AM
quarlesqueen wrote:I purchased this CE and just finished playing it, and I enjoyed every minute of it, I guess you could say, that I am an ERS fan .

Only copied the above otherwise there won`t be enough space for my comment, but agree with everything you say, Quarlesqueen.

I love ERS games: the graphics, the gameplay, the characters, and the puzzles. As you said, they are not mind-bendingly difficult, and that`s what I like to. I don`t like to use the SKIP button every time I can`t do a puzzle - I`d rather be able to do the puzzle (and without consulting a walkthrough).

However, to me "Grim Facade", was the first time I felt like the game was a bit flat, as if not enough thought has been put into the game to make it more "alive".
So I am a bit weary now with the games that come after. It feels a little as if they come off an assembly line (we got 2 of their CEs in less than a month).

I still want to buy ERS games, but no longer want to get the CE. Mostly I have been disappointed with bonus games (not just from ERS). They are often short and irrelevant to the story.

I will buy this game, but will wait for the SE to come out.

Oh, and about the little girl: I love ERS` characters. However, the voice of this particular girl was way too squeaky. Too high pitched and over the top. My favourite little girl is still the one from the burning house in the first "Redemption Cemetery" game. Just loved her.

mkinyon
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by mkinyon on Sep 10, 11 2:51 AM
Another formulaic ERS game. They're just phoning it in now. The SE might make a fine DD someday.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Sep 10, 11 5:15 AM
I see there are others who enjoy Adventure game w/o the hidden object scenes. Whats wrong with a good ole fashion adventure game like we used to get? Hidden object games have lost their shine and frankly are boring.

tofinofish
Shark
Shark
13,738 Posts

[Post New]by tofinofish on Sep 10, 11 11:57 AM
Well I enjoyed the demo and when I first saw that little gnome I was thinking now where did I see him before ..oh yeah the Queen of Spades. I enjoyed the demo and so bought the game.. I enjoyed it and the bonus game and will be looking forward to the next one . I found the music to be tedious or maybe because I was tired, but thats why we have volume control. It was difintely different that the Queen of Spades , I think it was longer, I only used the stragey guide three times, and I only skipped one puzzle because it was getting annoying . I will give it another go when I play this game this winter again.

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Sep 10, 11 1:23 PM
it's a buy for me after going thru the demo. i wasn't going to buy any more ce's for a while but when i saw it was ers, and played the demo, it was a done deal. the best game so far? maybe not, but it sure is fun, and the graphics are great...i play on expert becuz i like to find my own way, and i like to take my time, so i don't worry about the length. it makes my saturday a happy one, since now that nfl is back i don't play on sundays....go steelers! (sorry, had to)
happy face in my town!

saadia60
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by saadia60 on Sep 10, 11 4:09 PM
The SG indicates that there are only three chapters....this game can't be very long....

Go to: