lionscat
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

Re:Reviews for Cursed Memories: The Secret of Agony Creek Collector's Edition

[Post New]by lionscat on Sep 13, 11 6:43 PM
I really like this game and wanted to buy it after playing the demo, but after the reviews of its length and the length of the bonus, I just can't make myself do it as a CE.

I had a chance to go back over some of my older games today, and played a little of MCF Return to Ravenhearst (voted best casual game, 2008). What a great game and it wasn't even offered as a CE, we got that wonderful game for 6.99!! Which means, they didn't try to cut up a game, call the last hour of it the "bonus game" and then charge us double. If I am going to be charged double, then I want a lot more game play or an incredible game, and not just some wallpaper.

Okay, that being said, I have purchased some CE's just because they look and play so darn impressively that I can't wait for the SE. I just bought Enigmatis, because it looked fantastic, I wanted it right away. But this game doesn't rise to the level of either Enigmatis or Return to Ravenhearst. So, to the developers and Big Fish: Give us what we pay for and we will happily pay it, but otherwise, stop trying to fool us with a great demo, then wimp out on the rest of the game and pretend it's worth a CE price.

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Sep 13, 11 7:21 PM
CasualGran wrote:A true DDD game in my opinion. Dark, Depressing and Dirty. Add to this the repetetive, boring music and you've got 1 CE I can perfectly do without.

I agree.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Sep 14, 11 5:56 AM
lionscat wrote:I really like this game and wanted to buy it after playing the demo, but after the reviews of its length and the length of the bonus, I just can't make myself do it as a CE.

I had a chance to go back over some of my older games today, and played a little of MCF Return to Ravenhearst (voted best casual game, 2008). What a great game and it wasn't even offered as a CE, we got that wonderful game for 6.99!! Which means, they didn't try to cut up a game, call the last hour of it the "bonus game" and then charge us double. If I am going to be charged double, then I want a lot more game play or an incredible game, and not just some wallpaper.(snip)

Just an FYI - Collector's Editions weren't introduced until November 2009, beginning with MCF Dire Grove.

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Sep 14, 11 7:35 AM
This was a very good game - but not great. I remember really enjoying the Nightfall Mysteries by this developer - Curse of the Opera and Asylum Conspiracy - both had excellent graphics, really good stories and were fairly long in length. This one, much less so on all counts. Not to say that the graphics were poor - just not on the same level in my opinion. As others have pointed out, the scenes were very dark and grim - not lovely like this developer's prior games or so many of the other CEs. Also, the adventure elements were not as fun to me as the Asylum Conspiracy game and this game was pretty short.

On its own merits, it was a good game, and probably up to the standards of many CEs we are seeing, but it certainly wasn't a favorite for me. I did like the bonus game, and actually the overall story ended up being pretty good towards the end.

Overall, a good enjoyable game, but nothing like the high quality Nightfall Mysteries series.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Sep 14, 11 7:44 AM
excellent game but as usual i will wait for the s.e.

mercyone
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by mercyone on Sep 15, 11 3:58 AM
I agree with lionscat, I couldn't have said it better myself. I played the demo for an hour and didn't paly it again until a day later when a what seemed a few minutes the game was over. They're charging people CE prices and it should cost $6.99. Can we call the better business bureau if this continues?

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Sep 15, 11 5:32 AM
bonus review
by kris_cross48 on Sep 12, 11 6:46 AM
as much as i love a bonus..no, expect them in a CE...it sometimes feel like the develoerp let his newer greener graphic artists and software gurus do these. This is the instance in this particular bonus. Yes, it's a bonus, but I paid for it. . This isn't a freebe. (so, is it really a bonus?)So, expecting the same level of gameplay and artistry doesn't seem out of sight. These stories tend to be grimier, more adolescent, cruder in the professionalism than they should be. It may be a great place for folks to learn their craft..but then we shouldn't pay for them.
Sometimes these scenes seem like out takes from the main game. What I have noticed is that the main games are getting shorter. Appeasing us with these bonus games just doesn't do it. Remember developer..I paid double for this little "bonus".
Kind of like watching candy bars get smaller and smaller.
So, I guess I can join the growing lot of you who are refusing to buy CE. I'm starting to see that we are not getting anywhere close to double the bang for our buck..
kris

TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Sep 15, 11 10:24 AM
I bought this as a CE because it offered a challenge. Several of the lock-puzzles were unique and one of the early ones took me almost 15 minutes. The solution turned out to be fairly simple, but I had to work to find it.

Inventory items were also interesting. Lately most H0 adventures have me waiting to find the wrench so that I can take the bolts off the plate, find the piece for the lock. I know this as soon as I find the bolted plate. In Cursed Memories many items had no obvious use. I had no idea what I was going to do with whatever thing I had just found. I had to carefully backtrack to see if I had overlooked something, forgotten something, or if a new area had opened up. For me, that is the fun of games like this.

The story had a few twists which I found very interesting, although the wrap-up was very disappointing. It felt like two different stories that had been roughly pasted together. Too bad, a better ending would have been great.

Bonus play took me almost an hour. It had the same quality of mini-games and inventory puzzles but the story was not very good and the H0 scenes a little slapdash.

I give this game a 7 out of 10. Even though it has some weak points, it kept me far more entertained than the glossier, longer, formulaic games we have been seeing lately. For those of us who enjoying playing on the harder level or occasionally getting frustrated by a tricky puzzle, this game is worth checking out.

padres
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by padres on Sep 15, 11 6:09 PM
I'm in the midst of playing Cursed Memories. Just wanted to drop in on the Forum to say this is everything I look for in a game. Plenty of adventure but not difficult to find my way around. HOGs are of medium difficulty and puzzles are interesting. Would like more in the way of directions but that's true of virtually every game I play. An engaging fun game which is just challenging enough for me.

KimiKanda
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by KimiKanda on Sep 16, 11 9:05 AM
This is definitely a goody. I like everything about this game. The graphics, music, storyline, interactive play and the extras. Also challenging, searching for clues and items to assist you on your adventure feeling one with the character in the game. "What would I do if I was in this predicament?!" I am enmeshed with the character, totally involved. Give me a good mystery anytime. . . .

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

CE Price is a Real Rip Off

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Sep 16, 11 8:25 PM
As a post script to my previous review, as it turns out, I am rather disappointed in this game. It is way too short for a CE. And, where is the bonus game. Nearly all CEs have a bonus chapter or two at the end of their games these days. Plus I had been looking forward to this game ever since I learned about it while playing Written Legends, NIghtmare at Sea, which I thoroughly enjoyed....and thought was a lot of fun. I also decided it was just too dark and gloomy.

I just noticed someone said something about a bonus section. Where did you find that? I did notice right at the end that I had missed one bag of gold, but when the game ended, it went right to the credits, and I couldn't get back in and get the last bag of gold. Is that why I couldn't get into the bonus game? If so, that is a real rip off!!!!! Having to find all of a "certain thing" should not determine your ability to play the bonus game....after all, you pay twice the cost of a SE to be able to play the bonus game. All in all I'm ticked I bought this game.

Edited on 09/16/2011 at 8:32:00 PM PST

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Sep 16, 11 10:14 PM
TimeKilla wrote:
Inventory items were also interesting. Lately most H0 adventures have me waiting to find the wrench so that I can take the bolts off the plate, find the piece for the lock. I know this as soon as I find the bolted plate. In Cursed Memories many items had no obvious use. I had no idea what I was going to do with whatever thing I had just found. I had to carefully backtrack to see if I had overlooked something, forgotten something, or if a new area had opened up. For me, that is the fun of games like this.

Just before trying the demo on this, I finished Secrets of the Dark: Temple of Night and I had already decided I was tired of finding things and not remembering where they were supposed to go. I drew a map as I went along and marked where I needed an object and what that was. As I found the item it got crossed off the list. Saved me a lot of time running back and forth!

I just finished the demo here, and I do love the creepy settings.

Some things that did bug me: The sound that was made when you clicked on an object in a HOS stuttered and was so annoying that I turned it off.

HOS list: "Chilli"?
Communist hammer and sickle symbol at campsite: Coincidence that the art director is Russian?
Gramaphone puzzle: Besides the fact that these games must convince the younger generation that we went straight from gramaphones to CD players, how many games do we have to have where you have to get a record and crank to start a gramaphone to get some object from said gramaphone? Funny how you never see a CD player puzzle. Or for that matter, a standard LP turntable. I'm sure I'm not the only one who used to buy LPs in the olden days before cassettes and CDs.

Okay, that being said, I did like this game very much. The time went by very fast. The storyline doesn't bother me, I don't want too much story to get in the way of gameplay anyway. The SG was easy to use and stayed where you left it.

I'm on the fence about the CE; SG is good but is bonus material worth it? Can't decide. But if not CE, then I'm game for the SE when it comes out.

NANONAN
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by NANONAN on Sep 18, 11 11:29 AM
oh yeh! Right up my alley this one. I do like to be startled and have 'scary'games. HOG scenes not too difficult, but yes, some of the items are way too close to the exit cursor and you end up 2 scenes out before you realise what's happening. But that's minor, you just have to be more careful with your clicking. Bit disappointed to read by some that this is quite short as I like to get my money's worth. So shall wait (if I can bear it) for the SE. But super, super game. Good pace, good graphics, not too much wandering about, easy to follow what you have to do. A+++++

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Sep 23, 11 4:06 PM
Loved thisgame! Graphics were great, unusual story line.( you might think you know what's going on but you really get surprised at the end. I thoroughly enjoyed this game

feenix

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Sep 24, 11 11:56 AM
(Been on vacation for several days--that's why I haven't posted sooner, but then you're all probably thinking, "Who cares"? )

Before I say anymore, I'd just like to note that opinions for this game have been all over the place. In particular, one reviewer initially posted both positives and negatives, but ended by summing up that, overall, it's a "good game." Then two (duplicate) posts later, advises gamers to save their $, that it's not worth it! I'm confused--which is it?

I'm leaning toward buying, partly because it's a Vast Studios product--the two "Nightfall Mysteries" games are classics! So far, in my time with the demo, this one doesn't quite stand up to those two, but it does seem pretty worthy, nonetheless.

The storyline doesn't always make much sense--We free ourselves from shackles in a filthy cabin, a female cop that we suspect of murders comes in and tells us to go clean up in the cabin's even-filthier bathroom, we bust out, and go on the lam, to include climbing down a well (for what purpose?).

Getting beyond the (sometimes goofy) plot twists, the game is artistic in a moody, broody way--good graphics, appropriate sounds, fitting hidden objects, sometimes "scratch-your-head" inventory items. Decent voice-acting, too. Good re-upping hint system (45 seconds?).

There are so many Reviews and Comments out now--I'm sure just about everyone has decided one way or the other. I can only say, give the demo a try.

fairjuno
Clownfish
Clownfish
936 Posts

[Post New]by fairjuno on Sep 24, 11 1:51 PM
lionscat wrote:I really like this game and wanted to buy it after playing the demo, but after the reviews of its length and the length of the bonus, I just can't make myself do it as a CE.

I had a chance to go back over some of my older games today, and played a little of MCF Return to Ravenhearst (voted best casual game, 2008). What a great game and it wasn't even offered as a CE, we got that wonderful game for 6.99!! Which means, they didn't try to cut up a game, call the last hour of it the "bonus game" and then charge us double. If I am going to be charged double, then I want a lot more game play or an incredible game, and not just some wallpaper.

Okay, that being said, I have purchased some CE's just because they look and play so darn impressively that I can't wait for the SE. I just bought Enigmatis, because it looked fantastic, I wanted it right away. But this game doesn't rise to the level of either Enigmatis or Return to Ravenhearst. So, to the developers and Big Fish: Give us what we pay for and we will happily pay it, but otherwise, stop trying to fool us with a great demo, then wimp out on the rest of the game and pretend it's worth a CE price.

Not trying to argue here, but I didn't pay 6.99 for RTR. It was 19.99 back then.

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Sep 25, 11 4:45 PM
The graphics were good to me but hte length was short....I just played Urban Legend: The Maze & this game seemed much longer than this CE...I recommend waiting for the reg edition to come out.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 26, 11 1:33 AM
elldee2728 wrote:(Been on vacation for several days--that's why I haven't posted sooner, but then you're all probably thinking, "Who cares"? )

Well, I do. ((huggles)) And hope you had a wonderful time.

And I like the game a lot. I just don`t want to buy the CE, because I have been disappointed by the bonus games too often. But when the SE comes out - it`s MINE!

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Sep 28, 11 10:13 AM
Didn't like it. Nice graphics, but very dark. Lots of **** scenes and long play ( I liked that), but the plot was TERRIBLE, and the game play was very disjointed. Too much running back and forth for ONE object. I didn't feel like I was playing, it felt more like work...

As for the bonus play... I felt like a rat in a maze running circles around my tail. Short play, and a very confined gaming area.

This game has ZERO replay value for me, and I wouldn't buy a sequel, if there is to be one.

I am glad that many of you enjoyed this game, it just didn't do it for me. I do encourage everyone who is contemplating purchasing this game to try before you buy...

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

[Post New]by Beingknown on Sep 28, 11 10:30 AM
With so many positive comments starting this thread, I wanted to like this game, but don't.

I found the scenes to all have the flat look of a hidden object screen, thus I never felt immersed in the environments. The graphics also looked rather grainy to me.

I found the game-play choppy, set into small bits of activity, without enough to explore or manipulate, and was therefore quite linear. There were also way too many junk pile hidden object screens for my tastes.

This is probably a good game for fans of hidden object games, but not one for serious adventure gamers. I personally did not enjoy it and found it boring.

Go to: