ShazPG
Clownfish
Clownfish
688 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Legends: Beauty and the Beast Collector's Edition

[Post New]by ShazPG on Sep 18, 11 9:15 PM
The big download size and the pic of the GINORMOUS spider on the download page initially had me turning away from this game, but after reading all the comments I couldn't help myself. I went ahead and purchased (didn't want a 300MB download only to have to follow it with an 800MB download, so I trusted all the raving fans and decided to blame them if I didn't like it )

I just finished playing. I wish it had told me how long I took. I started downloading at 8:00 this morning and it's 2:00 now, and in that time I probably stopped for about half an hour. Give half an hour for the download and I guess it took me about 5 hours to complete, including the bonus chapter. I didn't race through, but enjoyed the scenery and took my time, trying to avoid using hints and guide as much as possible (I did have to use hints a few times, in the hidden object puzzles, but I didn't have to touch the guide until I was at the point where I had to combine the elements near the end of the game and I was missing one).

What a wonderful story! Graphics were beautiful, characters compelling, audio gorgeous and voices not tooooooo irritating. I'll leave this for a few days, and maybe play again on the weekend, and this time take it even more slowly and absorb all the beauty. Have not played any Mystery Legends until this one, so now I'm off to look at the previous ones as well - hope they are just as good!

Edit: Well, there you go ... I found where it shows the time played, and apparently I only took 3 hours and 2 minutes. I wouldn't have thought I was that quick at all. But thoroughly enjoyable!

Edited on 09/18/2011 at 11:42:41 PM PST

[Post New]by Coronagold on Sep 18, 11 9:23 PM
abarrett wrote:it is refreshing to see a game that is not "dark an eerie".

Oh it is pretty dark and eerie. You'll see.

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Sep 18, 11 10:50 PM
Based on demo:

I like this game but Im not sold on the CE but then again, Im not really sold on any CE. I like that you can turn the voices off. Usually Im a sucker for voiceovers but the voices in this drive me crazy especially the main characters and the leprechaun so turning off the voices only was a nice touch. The strategy guide is the same as in the other Mystery Legends and I think its helpful to get a little tip and not be spoiled by whats to come. I don't know why everyone is talking bout it being an uplifting game, this is a mystery and a dark theme as are the the rest of the Mystery Legend games so if you are buying this thinking its going to be sunshine and rainbows, you might want to reassess that thought. My only complaint is even on the expert mode, there are sparkles to alert you to puzzles and hidden object scenes. Expert mode should have NO help at all. I feel the same about this one as I did the phantom. I like it but there's just something about it that makes me not want to purchase it right now. I bought the phantom CE in the sale and loved it but had i paid full price, not so much. I think I'll wait til it gets released on MAC. happy gaming to those who buy

[Post New]by spikescajunmom on Sep 18, 11 11:00 PM
I loved Mystery Legends Sleepy Hollow & Phantom of the Opera so I was happy to see this new one out. I've just finished the demo and this definitely is a CE buy for me and I don't buy too many CE's. The game has a fairytale setting with beautiful graphics and just a hint of "creepy" so far. It's so nice to be out of the Asylum and Hospital for a change! There is a good storyline which is more of a continuation of the Beauty & the Beast story. Usually I turn volume off or way down, but music is nice and not overpowering and there are voice overs. This seems more of an adventure game with a few hidden object scenes. I like hidden object games and adventure games so this one works for me. If you like almost all hidden object only you might not care for this one, but it should please most.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Sep 18, 11 11:19 PM
I have loved all the Mystery Legend games.

Just played the demo and the artwork is fabulous. Liked the storyline and voices are the best.

I am not sure if I am going to purchase because the SG isnt enough help for me. I need the SG that will help if you get stuck or lost. This SG is really bad, for a player like me.

Really want this game oh well.

I was playing the medium level wonder if the "easy" is really easier lol.

Happy gaming

Edited on 09/18/2011 at 11:20:21 PM PST

Leemo
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by Leemo on Sep 18, 11 11:49 PM
Just finished. Being able to read the original story again, after all these years, was a REAL bonus. Great idea. The game took me 7 hours or so , playing on hardest.

I found the HOG scenes difficult because objects were so small, and had to use one hint for most of them, mainly to find the last object.

I didn't think an American accent was appropriate for Beauty, IMO.

Gorgeous graphics, cute characters here and there, which always makes a game more endearing . The puzzles were good and fairly easy, no where near as hard as in Urban Legends: The Maze.

All in all an enjoyable day was spent by me. Well done developers.

TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Sep 19, 11 12:12 AM
Demo only.

I wanted to want this game as a CE. I wanted to be so thrilled with it that I came up with reasons to spend the extra cash and get it right now. But I just wasn't.

It has all the elements for a great SE - gorgeous artwork, some fun remakes of the usual mini-games (there's one with birds that is just darling. I've played that type of puzzle a million times but was charmed by their remake.) Decent, although not very difficult inventory item puzzles, scattered H0 scenes that are fun not boring. A story that I can get into with music to match.

But it's got to many problems to buy as a CE. First off, whose idea was it to have sparkles on the expert level? That's crazy! I started with a fresh character to make sure it hadn't defaulted to easy and they were still there. Not just on H0 scenes, it's also on every mini-game. (Although not inventory that's just laying around.) Sure, they're very subtle but it really takes away a lot of the challenge.

Speaking of challenge, this game just doesn't have it. The entire demo took me 39 minutes (that's after restarting) and I was never tempted to use the hint button or check the guide. (maybe without sparkles?) If I'm not frustrated at least once, the game is going to bore me.

Mini-games are really, really well done but they aren't original and they're too easy. Worse, the same mini-game repeated twice during the demo. I've already played those puzzles in the previous game, don't need to have multiple repeats of them here.

I am looking forward to playing it as an SE but I'm not holding my breathe.

[Post New]by LadyXXXHolic on Sep 19, 11 3:08 AM
The graphics are beautiful and the controls and map are a plus. But who ever wrote the dialoge should be fired! ( I've seen better writing in a kidergarden class) And a leprechaun...seriously?! Sometimes when I click her shadow I swear she's getting off on it. Come on guys, get back on the ball here! Also the demo was so short I had almost a half hour left - I HATE DEMO'S!!!!! If your interested, wait for the SE. Maybe you'll feel less ripped off then.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Sep 19, 11 5:01 AM
This is a brilliant game and I enjoyed it immensely, something I haven't been able to say about a lot of others lately. It's beautiful, creative and wonderfully orchestrated and I love the way it incorporates the scenes from the classic fairy tales we all grew up with.

I've read some negatives and criticisms but I don't agree with any of them. In fact, I am posting this and starting the game all over again.

Great work Play Pond, more, more more!!!

[Post New]by coffeemom2 on Sep 19, 11 8:53 AM
sfcali wrote:
coffeemom2 wrote:Trying to decide whether to buy this game as a CE or wait for the SE. Aside from the strategy guide and the short bonus scene, are there any other extras included for the CE price? I can wait for the SE if that's all there is, because I don't really use the strategy guide and it doesn't sound as if the extra scene is worth paying the extra price.

BUT, I need four more punches to fill up a card, so with the sale, I could do it with this one purchase, or two other regular games I've been wanting. Help me choose!

I see several really good reasons to go for the CE version, ranked in order:

#1 - Don't have to wait to enjoy. It is just one of those games that, once you begin, you probably won't want to stop...it's too good to wait to play.

#2 - The extra chapter is really interesting plus it provides a super-satisfying resolution to the story that the SE does not provide. It's not just a few extra games puzzles onto the end... it's more like the true ending.

#3 - I think the strategy was interesting and helpful. I appreciated the format -- nothing is revealed that you do not want revealed so if you only need a push in the right direction without getting spoilers for everything else, then you don't get it.

#4 - One of the extras is the text version of the classic fairytale (although not the original telling). While it is purely text, it is nice to reread the story of Beauty and the Beast before (or after or during) playing the game based on it.

#5 - Scores. Perhaps completely fictitious, though -- I managed to be number one on the list of high scores. What a coincidence! Ha ha. (Okay, this reason is very low on the list of why to get the CE, but it's still another reason!)

If you are a big fan of really good HOG/adventures, you won't be sorry you got this... it's worth 4 ordinaries in one so it has to be better than the other two you would've gotten. Plus, since it will fill your punch card, CoffeeMom, you'll get one of those other two you were considering as part of the deal.

;-)

Thanks sfcali! Lots of good reasons, but in the end, it was your last line that got me! Bought it last night and I will use my coupon to purchase one of the others. What a deal! Plus, something daisyduck said "I deserve this!"

runtotorun
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by runtotorun on Sep 19, 11 12:10 PM
What a beautiful game. Looks like a buy for me. Brings back the wonder of childhood.

moonladydi
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,113 Posts

[Post New]by moonladydi on Sep 19, 11 12:11 PM
Warning! If you don't like spiders, stay away from this game. It is loaded with them, including a rather grusome battle where you have to shoot them as they attack, then fight them with a sword. If you ever watched a Stargate battle with Replicators, you will have some idea of the effect. Also there is a shocking purple splash for a click penalty that is like having a bucket of paint thrown at you.

Despite that I absolutely loved the game. It took me nearly 5 hours including Bonus chapter. The final battle with the Witch is a bit tedious, not as bad as Princess Isabella, but you can safely wait for the SE and not miss much. The SG leaves a lot to be desired. One minute it's not telling you what you need. The next, it's laying it out step by step in way too much detail. Also you can't page back if you forget the instructions. The voiceovers are great. The music is appropriately dramatic. The graphics, puzzles, story progression, etc. are all high quality. Put it on your list.

Fritzi41
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by Fritzi41 on Sep 19, 11 2:17 PM
Absolutely loved the game. Best one I have played in a long time. Beautiful graphics and so nice for a change not to have gruesome images. So tired of "blood and guts" as they say.

[Post New]by frenchsilk on Sep 19, 11 2:29 PM
Love this game and it has such high quality graphics. The story is wonderful ...purchased after watch demo for 15 mins. The strategy guide needed more detail but it did help. Love the metal doggy....so cute!

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Sep 19, 11 4:15 PM
I have come to rely on my fellow casual game players for their reviews. This is just to say thank you all for taking the time to write what you think of a game! I for one actually read what you have to say! And I too am sick and tired of blood, guts, and big-eyed kids I have to save. Time for something light and fun, so I'll give this game a try.

ELadyG1013
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by ELadyG1013 on Sep 19, 11 5:21 PM
Downloaded the demo and played it, realized that I wanted this game NOW !! I purchased it and am loving it so far ! Thanks BFG and Play Pond...awesome

lionscat
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by lionscat on Sep 19, 11 6:11 PM
This game is gorgeous!! Love the length and story and all of it. Had to buy it before the demo was over. Lovely story, follows somewhat the myth. Lots of adventure, plenty of riddles, lots of fun. I could not resist this one. Darn you devs and Big Fish, you got me again!

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Sep 19, 11 7:28 PM
In a word: Gorgeous! I really did like this game. Graphics were top of the line. Cannot comment on music/voices as I didn't have the speakers on.

The H0 scenes were very appropriate to the "setting" - playroom, blacksmith shop, etc. They were not "junkpile" but some items were a bit hard to see...not really tiny just "hidden" (as they should be in a H0 game). The mini games were mostly not too hard although a couple were tough to do - but I stuck with them! I cannot comment on the SG because I found the journal and map (along with a few hints) to be perfectly adequate for me. You can't click on the map and be "transported" to where you need to go - you have to walk (or run!) around but there are indicators of where you are, where you need to go, etc. I did like the story line but would have loved a few more scenes of Alice or Hansel and Gretel (but it IS the story of Beauty and the Beast).

All in all, the game took me about 6 hours or so and about 45 minutes for the bonus game (with breaks). I am not sorry I bought the CE but would have been OK with a SE.

bfgfan25
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by bfgfan25 on Sep 20, 11 12:24 AM
dokken117 wrote:SPIDER ALERT!!!

I read some of the posts about spiders in this game, played the demo and saw for myself. So I probably won't buy this game, even tho I would have loved it. I was wondering if anybody actually contacts the devs and says "more spiders, please". I know that several of us ask them to stop. What part of that don't they understand? Okay, some of you may say if you don't like spiders, don't buy the game. Fair enough, but I feel cheated out of an otherwise good game. Just venting.

I agree completely. The Phantom of the Opera is one of my favorite games and I'm sure I would have loved this one too, but I can't deal with spiders.

Lilabelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
516 Posts

[Post New]by Lilabelle on Sep 20, 11 12:29 AM
gingergal wrote:edit: after finishing it.

I loved it.
Phantom of opera was one of my all time favourites this I loved as well but I couldn't compare them as they are such different games (still think opera has the edge). I love the graphics, and I don't say that a lot. I usually turn of the music quickly but this I find relaxing.

It truly has the look and feel of a fairy tale book, not too cutsey with some mild scare factor. I love the comments when you click on things. It has voiceovers. It has 3 settings, I am playing on the hardest and there still is some sparkles for hidden object and puzzle area.
The strategy guide seems to only give you a guide if you uncover an objective. Not a walkthrough, chapter by chapter. I liked it sometimes when there was specfic area I needed help with, it just gave me a hint. But sometimes my 'item' wasn't on the list and I had to dig through other hints giving me spoilers, so they may as well have done a walkthrough.
It does have a map, but so far it wasn't interactive but has markers in the areas that things are still to be done in.

I just love the look, feel, story and so far it's an A and you know me I don't give "A" out often. I would give it a A++, if it had an interactive map, no sparkles and some morphs.

edit- Loved the game, loved the enchantess, voice on leprachaun slightly annoying.
But the sparkles on the puzzles and the H O scenes was annoying as I was playing on the hardest setting.
I like maps that give you hints were interactive areas are.
main game - 5hrs SE players will be satisfied with ending
bonus game - 45mins And I didn't really like the mini game, nice story but short.
I don't regret buying the CE as I loved the game, but bonus wise it wasn't worth it, and the Strategy guide wasn't that helpful in some places.

Thank you Gingergal this is the perfect addendum added to a review by someone who has actually finished the game.I wish more fishies would add these final reviews after playing the whole game. Your post on the bonus level was just right, you did not say it was too short or a good long addition, you let us know the most important piece of information which was whether it added to the story or if the game would be incomplete without it. Thank you again.

Go to: