frostledge
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery of the Ancients: Lockwood Manor Collector's Edition

[Post New]by frostledge on Sep 24, 11 3:49 PM
Thanks textrekkie for giving the time it took you on the game! I really appreciate it when posters do that for us.

The graphics were good, not grainy like some games and I didn't mind the junk pile as it helps me to focus more when the scene is all kerbobbled like that.

I felt that it lagged when clicking to a new area as there seemed to be a pause before the scene would change. I guess you could say it felt glitchy.

The story seemed TOO familiar as I KNOW I've played this game before. I recall everything about it, but I don't understand how that's possible if the game JUST released. Can someone help me on that? I recall Jenny being "trapped" in the basement, having to climb the tree to get into the greenhouse, the puzzles, the whole shebang of the demo I played and it took me 35 minutes to do the demo. PLEASE tell me there's a LOT more to the game than this.

Not sure I want this one at all as it seemed kinda easy and just didn't grab me like other games have, but I am really bugged about the fact that I KNOW this game and yet it JUST released. Anyone else have a sense of deja vu? I've tried looking for an initial release date, but it all seems like a few days ago. Something doesn't sit right on this game.........

ETA: According to any of the sites I checked, they all say 2011 release but next to the title it says (final) Does this mean there WAS another release and they revamped the game and released it again? Would appreciate input. Thanks.

Edited on 09/24/2011 at 3:53:36 PM PST

[Post New]by Happy_Bull on Sep 25, 11 1:36 AM
I haven't played as many demonic possession HOG games, so the plot didn't bug me. Personally, I'm getting tired of the character being a younger woman.
The graphics were nice, better than I've seen in some very popular HOGs. Puzzles and HOGs were a little easy, but I like the achievements I can receive. Because of them, I haven't used the Hint button once. Normally, I'm a Hint Button spammer.
The music fits very well. I agree that some voice overs would be nice.

I did buy the CE after demoing for 2 reason. One, I want a key ring. Two, I have a bunch of credits I haven't used. If it wasn't for those 2 reasons, I would have wanted until SE to buy.

**SPOILER ALERT**

I told my husband, "I think I'm going to let loose a demon" shortly before actually letting the demon loose. It looks like I'm possessed now. I will finish the game and find out.

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Sep 25, 11 2:03 PM
great game...wish it had been longer...lol.. worth getting the C.E. for the extra gameplay was awesome....maybe even better then the first part...lol..certainly lots to do...great graphics, puzzles, etc....this is a keeper!

Riverman73
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Riverman73 on Sep 25, 11 3:03 PM
I am playing this game myself right now, and i think it has gotten some harsh criticism it really doesnt deserve.

Yes, it includes 'demons', so if you dont like them, dont play it..lol

The graphics were actually rather sharp to me, apart maybe from the scenes with much green in it (grasshoppers were really hard to find...). Maybe this is one of those games which causes PC's with specific graphic cards to result in dark / grainy screens for some. But that luckily isnt the case for me.

The story is very been-there-done-that (free possessed people in some spooky environment), nothing new there, but personally the story isnt the most important element to me. Gameplay is what i most care for: and this game succeeds on that level: a well balanced mixture of hidden object screens, adventure elements and puzzles: all on easy to medium level.

To be continued....

Riverman73
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Riverman73 on Sep 25, 11 3:11 PM
Continued review...

What i like about the gameplay is that its all very logical and straightforward: you use a brick to break a window, you use an axe to cut a three. Not like in so many recent HOG's were you have to "connect the swordfish to a rope, then glue it to a pole and put a battery into it, before you can throw it at the bad guy..lol".
Its rather easy yes, but charming in its straightforwardness.

What i also like is that the atmosphere and the graphics of the game get a lot more appealing after you have left the mansion and get past the bee's. It's almost some Myst-like world you are walking in.

So despite the rather tiresome / predictable story and the rather formulaic beginning this seems to be turning in a rather good HOG, especially when it comes to the gameplay.

4 out of 5 stars so far.

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Sep 25, 11 6:00 PM
I found this game quite good. I don't not think the game is as bad as some fishes had reported. It is a HOG and that is part of the game is finding the necessary parts to complete a puzzle. I am not disturbed by the subject. It is a GAME. The graphics are very good and the background music is very low key. No problems so far as for crashes

JoJoLavin
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by JoJoLavin on Sep 25, 11 9:41 PM
I finished the game, and despite the irregular error messages (sometimes I got it, sometimes I didn't), I thoroughly enjoyed this game. It's a shame about the intermittent troubles, because I'm sure many of us game players gave up out of frustration. I'm glad I stuck it out cause it was fun. The extra game play automatically started at the end of the original game which confused me at first. No choice. Still, if the developers can get rid of the bugs, I will be very interested in any other games they offer.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 26, 11 8:09 PM
Nothing else to do today, so ended up buying this one after all. Not a bad game. Graphics nice, music okay, game play good. The only thing I really didn't like about this game was the SG. Took me all afternoon to get through the game. My finger is sore from clicking through all those pages every time I needed a little help. Developers, if you are going to do this on your games, at least let us begin at the first of each chapter rather than the very beginning of chapter 1! WOW, good thing I'm left handed...I wouldn't be able to write with my right hand!!

maggisaxby
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by maggisaxby on Sep 27, 11 10:55 AM
I was put off buying because of some of the early reviews, which were quite negative, tepid at best, but I enjoyed the demo and bought it as desperate for a new game.

I AM SO GLAD!

I really, really enjoyed it, graphics clear and crisp, loads to do, nice puzzles.

As for those who complain the story is predictable..........All the stories are predictable. HELLO! We are not taking Eng. Lit.

runtotorun
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by runtotorun on Sep 27, 11 1:35 PM
Not interested in playing a game that is all about black magic and demons. Too satanic.

tomb57
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by tomb57 on Sep 28, 11 6:22 PM
I liked this game, had no problem with graphics being dark, or grainy, puzzles were decent, and not too hard.
Hint system put you where you needed to be with inventory you had.
Nothing too special about this game, but nothing too average either.
I buy CE's for the bonus game, and usually the strategy guide.
The hint system in this game negates the need for the strategy guide.
I enjoyed the game, story line, and soundtrack, don't need a voice over for a game like this.
If I had a rating system it would be a 7.
Thanks BFG!!

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Sep 28, 11 8:08 PM
Just finished the demo. I like this game, but am finished with CEs...they aren't worth the money. I'll wait for the SE and then buy it. The HOGS were a challenge and the game seems fun...like all those haunted mansion, spooky, evil, girl in trouble ones. LOL.

sherisgirl
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by sherisgirl on Sep 29, 11 11:10 AM

I finished this game this afternoon since buying it at the w/e it seems like i've been playing it all week, and loved every minute of it, the bonus seemed to go on and on.

thank you BF

Now to the next one I love the Echos of the Past games

skr041300
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by skr041300 on Sep 30, 11 12:59 PM
I was five minutes into the demo when I got the access violation code and it shut down on me. Prior to that, the cursor was sticky and sluggish. Seems like a decent game, but I'll wait until the developers fix the bugs before trying again.

jawfish
Herring
Herring
349 Posts

[Post New]by jawfish on Oct 2, 11 2:02 PM
I just finished playing this game including the bonus, saw there are some bad reviews so want to put in some words of encouragement for this dev. This is Mariaglorum's first CE.

I did this game totally on my own (in harder mode), no hints, no strategy guide, no skips....I start to lose interest in a game even if it's good once I peek at the SG. I always try to play on my own but occasionally really had to resort to the guide. Therefore, I love it when I can do it totally on my own!

It has the right difficulty that won't frustrate players, graphics is sharp and very good, puzzles are interesting. The bonus section is quite long, I spent almost 2 hours cuz I spent a long time on 2 puzzles. If you have no trouble with them, then I guess about an hour.

I've played every single ERS CE, the game world in this game is larger than ERS games, there are many locations and scenes. It is divided into 3 main sections, once you are done with it, you can't go back which I like.

The main game took me 5 hours. So overall it's a good value. The story has been used before but most CEs are like that. Haha I'm an easy to please gamer!

Edited on 10/02/2011 at 2:02:57 PM PST

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Oct 6, 11 1:52 AM
Already made a review about the game and I wrote, at the end of it :

ETA : SG included in the demo, checked it, when you close it it doesn't stay on the page you left, reopening it you're back on the opening page, quite annoying.

I try not to use the SG as much as I can, I was stuck at the end of chapter 3 and I needed it, so I have had to go through all the pages in order to find what I was looking for. I've said it was quite annoying and I now say it's a real pain. I'm fed up with devs not understanding that it spoils the game to have to do so. I wouldn't have minded if it had stayed mi-chapter one where I used it, but this drives me mad.

PLEASE, do something about these stupid SG. (at least you don't have to exit the game, one good point).

Now I don't feel like playing the game (thanks God I'm in the bonus play) but like finishing it as fast as I can in order to get rid of it.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Oct 6, 11 2:57 AM
You'll never get rid of me....

I wanted to say that now it is very seldom to see such a long and good bonus play. This one is excellent, this game really deserves to be a CE.
THANKS DEVS.

(So I'll try to forget , , about the SG)

[Post New]by AdelfinaH41 on Oct 7, 11 12:39 AM
The game is very dark. I probably cant see anything there.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Oct 11, 11 11:44 AM
I thought I was through with CEs, but I enjoyed the demo enough to go ahead and purchase just one more time. I have not played the extra game as the original game was quite long, but I did not find it boring. I enjoyed this game and it didn't have the usual "leave you in the dark" ending, it wrapped things up well. Some of the mini games were quite intense, but the hint button and skip button re-charge quickly and you can get beyond and get going again. There were several HOGs but not THAT many. I don't understand some players problem with what they call "junk piles", that is what HOGs are! Chill.

What I really liked about this game was after you finished an area, it locked you out so you didn't have to click through all the previous scenes, you generally just worked one scene at a time.

Didn't regret this purchase. I think you'll like it, but you should probably wait for the SE because these CEs really aren't worth double the price.

Oh...I did have trouble with the game stalling and running slow, mostly toward the end which is a little irritating. I thought it was my computer, but it appears others had the same problem.

Edited on 10/11/2011 at 11:46:44 AM PST

Akela16
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by Akela16 on Oct 11, 11 4:50 PM
EXCELLENT GAME
I've just completed the game and bonus chapter on my iMac - OS X 10.6.8

A couple of times the game became unresponsive ... I couldn't even quit ... I had to resort to shutting it down and restarting. Lo and behold when I restarted the game it took me to the exact point where it became unresponsive but I was able to continue as if nothing had happened.

Some other scene changes were very slow to materialize.

I also share the peeve about the "Strategy Guide" Each time I went in to the SG it started back at page 1 and I had to page through to find where I was.

This game was long and kept me entertained for 4 days.

Go to: