laurakay76
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

Re:Reviews for Echoes of the Past: The Citadels of Time Collector's Edition

[Post New]by laurakay76 on Oct 5, 11 9:50 PM
I've only played the demo, but it's a definite buy for me. I've played the first two EotP games, loved them both, and love this one too. They're wonderfully puzzle-y! The story of this one makes a tiny bit more sense if you've played the other two, but it's honestly not necessary to be enthralled by this.

I did spot a tiny continuity error. It's spoilerish, so highlight this paragraph if you want to read it. In the second stage of the game, the player character encounters the princess from the first game in the trilogy, and in the diary he notes that she's "the real heir" to the throne of Orion. This is wrong. If you've played 'Royal House of Stone,' you know that this princess isn't the heir to the throne - she's the king's sister. (And it's definitely the same princess; I recognize her rooms from that earlier game.) Not really a huge deal, though, just something that caught my attention.

Overall, this looks like it's going to be a great game and I can't wait to buy it and continue playing! Thanks BFG!

eedebeep
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

hate being led by the hand when I play advanced

[Post New]by eedebeep on Oct 6, 11 2:27 PM
It's really annoying when you try to play "advanced" and you still get so many hints and hand holding. e.g. "It's really important that you find a ...." . Or clicking on something and game gives you " a hammer would be useful here" instead of letting you find out for yourself.

not very challenging as CE hidden object games go. Voice overs really pathetic, had to turn them off. Miss villain witch has a voice like a burger king drive thru girl?

C+ could have been a good game but too much direction

Edited on 10/06/2011 at 2:32:13 PM PST

[Post New]by Muffin86 on Oct 7, 11 4:24 AM
In one word: PERFECT! I enjoyed it very very much. No technical problems, an interesting story and a wonderful screenplay! I never leave comments about games in the forum 'cause I'm a little lazy but in this case I had to...I hope to see the next one very soon..this is my favourite kind of games!! (^_^)

vievieta
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by vievieta on Oct 8, 11 12:41 AM
great game thanks

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

[Post New]by Beingknown on Oct 9, 11 1:24 AM
Echoes of the Past offers bright and interesting graphics, and well drawn and interactive hidden object scenes, which are not junk piles.

It has challenging and entertaining puzzles and mini games of varying difficulty. It has some entertainingly dark humor in both dialogue and creepy creatures.

You can play this game in regular or advanced mode, and there is both an in-game Hint System and a Strategy Guide.

Echoes of the Past is really an enjoyable and well designed game. I recommend it to both those who enjoy adventure games and those who like interactive hidden object games.

Jolly6
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by Jolly6 on Oct 10, 11 9:09 AM
This game is SO fun!! I enjoyed the previous 2 and this one is even better IMO. I totally agree with the other positive reviews. The story is interesting, the graphics are great, the mini-games are a bit different and the ****'s are just hard enough not to be boring. The Hint system with the Strategy Guide is great if you're not sure if there's something else to do in a location. And it's long enough to be well worth the money.

lunachan
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by lunachan on Oct 11, 11 12:06 AM
I was unsure about this one at first, because I'd not played the others first. But after my time was up, I had to buy it! It's a beautiful game that pulls you in (right away for me ) If you are on the fence like I was, I suggest you dl it at least
I give it x4

@ Rebeca_Lily: ! - I did notice there were few items that were um...not appropriate for time period, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it. I just giggled a bit .

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Oct 11, 11 9:49 AM
WOW. This game is awesome all the way to the end. Lots of things to do and interact with, good puzzles and not alot of H0 scenes (which I like). Graphics are good and its alot of fun. Its long too. It did not disappoint. A real winner. Don't pass this one up.

Edited on 10/12/2011 at 4:39:28 PM PST

Kebbielebbie
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Kebbielebbie on Oct 11, 11 5:35 PM
I liked the first one but this one didn't grab me like the the first. The graphics were nice but I kept worrying that the length would be too short. Not a buy for me but it was fun during the demo.

Two Thumbs Up

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Oct 12, 11 3:20 AM
I just finished the game and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am not a big fan of Hidden Object Scenes (HOS), but they were not a problem for me with this game. The game was more of an Adventure game than a Hidden Object Game (HOG). There were not that many HOS in the game and they were pretty easy to complete.

NOTE: There is an error in the Help section of the Strategy Guide (SG). It says, there is No Random Click Penalty. As it turns out, there Is a Randon Click Penalty, but it is extremely lenient. I clicked away for most of the main game without a problem, but I did incur a random click penalty once. Then, I got the penalty again twice in the Bonus Adventure. No big deal and you really have to go nuts and triple-click every second to get the penalty, so it was not a problem at all. I just mention it because I don't like that the SG said there was no penalty when there is one.

Anyway, the penalty was a minor point and you really can complete the HOS without incurring any penalties. Plus, the Hint Meter recharges in 20 seconds, so you can breeze through the HOS in about 60-90 seconds. You can also use a Hint to tell you what to do next.

The puzzles were very nice and some were different from the standard fare. The Skip meter recharges in about one minute. Graphics, music, and sounds were also nice. The voice-overs were good, but the characters' lips didn't move. The characters give speeches. You don't actually interact with them. There is a Journal, but no map; but you don't really need a map. Also, the SG remembers your place in the Guide, so you don't have to keep looking for where you left off.

What I liked the most was the exploring. The storyline was good and the game was interesting and made you think. There was never a dull moment for me in the game. It took me about 7-8 hours to complete.

A very good game and highly recommended. I rate this game a 9 out of 10. Two Thumbs Up!

Edited on 10/12/2011 at 4:06:02 AM PST

oscar66
Herring
Herring
307 Posts

[Post New]by oscar66 on Oct 16, 11 9:28 AM
I just got to the level with the fisherman and I am thoroughly enjoying this game. Artwork and voiceovers are wonderful. Good puzzles. I've always liked how this series as a final **** with a little riddle. If there is a fourth one I'd personally like to see the achievment or morphing object/collectible added in. Something that pertains to the game.

jjj13
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by jjj13 on Oct 18, 11 3:36 AM
Will wait for SE as too much hand holding, even in advanced mode. Otherwise great game.

[Post New]by mooncat1950 on Oct 19, 11 12:25 PM
This was one of the best Hidden Object/Adventure games I've played in a long while!
The Collectors edition is definitely worth the price as the bonus adventure was just as good as the rest of the game and was not a short game as I've experienced in others.
I will definitely be looking forward the next installment in this series (I hope!) or what ever this group of game designers comes up with next. Thanks for the great play!!!!

spenny1
Catfish
Catfish
1,637 Posts

[Post New]by spenny1 on Oct 19, 11 1:24 PM
Big thumbs up!

As I have been reading reviews before buying games I thought I ought to start to contribute. I have really enjoyed this one and would definitely recommend it. It was challenging enough to really engage me, but user friendly enough not to frustrate me.

The **** scenes are interactive and although there is some repetition it wasn't a problem for me in this one. There are plenty of puzzles which is always a must for me. Some are easy, some use the little grey cells quite a bit, but they are all logical and can be conquered with a little perseverance. The graphics are lovely and the music isn't bothersome.

I did have to make a few notes going along, just to keep track of what I needed and where I needed it, as the journal entries are fairly basic, but I think that adds to game play. I played on the advanced setting without sparkles which I'd recommend as the inventory items you need can be found without it and I found it more enjoyable. I wish I could recall the gamer who's review I read as I'd give them my thanks.

Great game, two very long evenings of game play, and a little over two hours of bonus play, which didn't feel hurriedly tacked on the end as with some.

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on Oct 20, 11 4:03 PM
I just finished playing and it is a WOW of a game. Very good , top quality, a must have. AND of a good length. I'm not a real H0 fan, but I didn't mind them in this game. There was enough adventure to satisfy me. I did have to skip a few of the puzzles. There are so many places to go and things to do that I'll re-play it. I have their other games, so some of the scenes and the music seemed familiar, but that was okay. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

chumface
Herring
Herring
355 Posts

[Post New]by chumface on Oct 20, 11 7:12 PM
I enjoyed it! Great length. I own all three...think I liked the first one best...

Renee48
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by Renee48 on Oct 22, 11 1:36 PM
HELP!!!
i just bought the game and i cant even play it still the same message as previous games i bought "unable to initialize game installation may be required"
i downloaded the game twice still get the same message
cost me 2 credits means 14.29$ and i cant evey play the game.
its my 3rd game i have lost money on.... anyone at big fish that can solve that problem or should i buy somewhere else. i never get any answer from you bf
anyone there??

[Post New]by fairygodmother55 on Oct 22, 11 6:51 PM
What a great game! I'm still playing the bonus round and don't want it to end! I did not by the CE of the other two gaes, but played SE . I am very happy with my decision to go for the extra!!

Agree with the others who don't like the sparkles in the Bonus game. I like going back and forth to try and figure out what I missed!

Had to use the Strategy guide a few times, puzzles were good, and made me think, especially the stained glass one!!

[Post New]by rebelandsmokey on Oct 25, 11 1:10 AM
Awesume game just love this series. Hope there be another one i clocked the game with basically a week. the pictures and graphics were fantastic i loved the story line really hoping there be another one of these its great how you can go back to the past to see what people were wearing and doing.

wjnank
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by wjnank on Oct 26, 11 6:53 AM
I agree this is a top notch game. Very enjoyable in all areas.

Go to: