emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

Re:Reviews for Oddly Enough: Pied Piper

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Oct 8, 11 8:06 AM
I'm not far into the game but I really like it! The artwork is wonderful and very colorful. I'm playing on Expert mode and find the gameplay not too hard or too easy. Personally, I love FROGs, so this game overall is well-worth the money. A definite buy for me.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Oct 9, 11 5:44 AM
Love love love....the graphics, the hidden objects, the adventure all of it. A definite buy for me.

[Post New]by nigeltkatt on Oct 9, 11 2:52 PM
Played my hour and will definitely be purchasing it. Challenging by not too hard. The graphics are beautiful and remind me of the Snarkbuster series (very good games too).
This is a winner!

Ariztokat
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by Ariztokat on Oct 9, 11 7:58 PM
How much more fun could you ask for? More than welcome change from the usual doom and gloom games. Thanks, BF.

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Oct 10, 11 7:09 PM
An absolutely delightful game! Graphics are very well-done. The "sites" have several "rooms or areas" to search in each one. The H0 scenes were not difficult at all even though they were silhouette. Bright and clear. The game is rather short but is a wonderful offering.

I am pleased I finally had a game I could be satisfied using a coupon to get!

timothya
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by timothya on Oct 11, 11 7:48 PM
A very charming game, and a perfect selection to introduce somebody into the genre, which is exactly what I intend to do with it. Colorful art, FROG scenes with objects large enough not to frustrate the new player, even a decent if basic plot. I agree with the reviewer who noted the music loop is far too short - it's a very appropriate little tune and could easily have been expanded enough not to be too repetitive, which in fact it was before the end of the game.

And no violence, which makes it even better for a young player especially. This one would be a great choice for a parent to sit down with a kid and play together. Thanks to the developers for a bit of quirky fun. Four fins of five.

JayTeeLine
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by JayTeeLine on Oct 12, 11 5:11 AM
WOW! This game is a charmer plus a wee bit of a challenge.....at least it was for me. Played off and on for 7 days, and just finished. Such gorgeous colors and pictures. Incredible graphics that led me from page to page just as if I were in the middle of a lovely book of fairy tale adventures.

Top of the line, and my hat's off to the developers for producing such a quality entertainment. BIG thanks to BFG for offering this lovely 'FROG ADVENTURE' to us, your game members.

This is the first time I have truly enjoyed a FROG, and am completely delighted at the opportunity to add this game to my 'favorite experience' list. I hope to see another worthy adventure soon.

Thanks again!
jt

Mixed Reactions

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Oct 12, 11 9:34 PM
Well, I see that many people loved this game, but I have mixed reactions. Here is my Review:

The Good: The gameplay was actually very good and this could have been a top-notch game if not for its negative points below. There are 4 chapters and when you finish one, you can't go back to previous areas, which is fine. In the HOS, there are always 8 items and they are silhouettes and as others mentioned, they are Fragmented Object Scenes, so you always have to find all 8 pieces of the object that will go into your inventory. I don't like HOS, but these wouldn't have been too bad, if not for the negative points below. Fortunately, there were not that many of them. The Hint Meter also recharges relatively fast and you can also use Hints to find out what to do next in the game. There was a lot of figuring out what to do and that was interesting. The mini-games were also unique and a lot of fun. There is a Task List, but no journal or map, but a map was not needed. The 4 chapters were varied and when you enter a scene and move your cursor to the middle of the screen, numerous directional arrows appear that show where you can go. You just click on an arrow to go there. There were not that many locations in each chapter, but there still was a lot to do. There were usually about 4 to 6 locations in each chapter. The music was very nice and the ambient sounds were also good. So I actually had a lot of fun solving the puzzles and figuring out what needed to be done to accomplish an objective. The game took me about 4-5 hours to complete. So all in all, a fun game, but there were some things that I didn't like.

The Bad:

First, I didn't like the interface at all. I thought it was very clunky and sluggish. You have to click a Down Arrow to exit a scene and many times the Inventory was at the bottom of the screen, so the arrow didn't appear. Then you had to move your mouse to the top of the screen, wait a few seconds for the inventory to disappear, move to the bottom and then click the Down Arrow. Extremely annoying. Also, when you can pick up an item, a Gear appears instead of a grasping hand. Then, there is a delay after you pick up the item and it displays it on the screen for what seems like an eternity, before it goes into your inventory. And it doesn't even tell you what the item is. So many times, you have to open the inventory and mouse-over the item to see what you just picked up.

(Continued in next message)

Mixed Reactions Part 2

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Oct 12, 11 9:36 PM
(Continuation: Part 2)

I also didn't like the graphics. They were cartoon-style graphics and that's not my cup of tea. There were also delays when entering new scenes. That is, the game felt a bit clunky. Finally, I don't know if I'm missing the boat here, but there were no voice-overs when I played. Others here have commented on voice-overs, but I didn't have voice-overs. So one of my complaints was that it was not much fun to just read what the characters were saying and I would have preferred voices. But since others said they had voices, maybe you will too. I have no idea why I didn't have them.

The Ugly:

The Random Click Penalty was obnoxious. It counts the clicks and on every 4th incorrect click, you incur the penalty. I can't stand that. The penalty is also annoying when the cursor keeps swirling around. Then to add insult to injury, if you have 3 missed clicks and then click on the Hints with your 4th click, it shows you the item, but still gives you the penalty. Talk about stupidity. Clicking on Hints is NOT a random click. Then you also have Hints during the game, but when there is nothing you can do in a location and it tells you there is nothing to do here and to go to another location, it still uses up the Hint and you have to wait for it to recharge. Mind-boggling. All the other games don't deplete the Hint Meter until they tell you what has to be done. The game could have used a Journal. A few times you find a paper with a solution on how to open a lock or solve a puzzle, but when you actually try to do so, you have to do it from memory. Normally, the clue goes into your journal and you can refer to that, instead of going back to the scene and picking up the piece of paper again. Finally, the Tasks List had a bug in it. One of the first tasks I accomplished in Chapter 1 was never checked off and it remained on the list for the entire game. Other times, I would complete a task and it wouldn't get checked off until I entered the next chapter.

Rating: If not for all the unnecessary negative points, I would have rated this game a 9.5 out of 10 because the game concept and mini-games were fabulous. However, because of its flaws, I rate this game a 7.5 out of 10.

Edited on 10/14/2011 at 4:58:16 AM PST

Bumblefish
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by Bumblefish on Oct 13, 11 12:14 PM
Nice game, but a little on the short side. It took me without walkthrough, but with a few hints and 2 skips, less than 2 hours to finish.

After reading some of the reviews, i actually had to replay the beginning to see, if and how the devs have messed up the name of the town. Well, most of you might be used to Hamelin, but here in Germany that town is actually called Hameln without the i.
No need to be shocked or even offended. Towns are often spelled or called differently in different languages.

loveday
Minnow
Minnow
272 Posts

[Post New]by loveday on Oct 13, 11 11:45 PM

by Bumblefish on October 13, 12:14 PM
After reading some of the reviews, i actually had to replay the beginning to see, if and how the devs have messed up the name of the town. Well, most of you might be used to Hamelin, but here in Germany that town is actually called Hameln without the i.
No need to be shocked or even offended. Towns are often spelled or called differently in different languages.

Thanks Bumblefish never knew that, I thought it was spelt "Hamlin" shows you how much I know

This game has great graphics, nice breather from the onslaught of demons, crazied asylum etc etc. Found it every different the silhouettes and good for me me i hate sitting on a game like to keep moving ..really enjoyed this..

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Oct 14, 11 4:52 AM
Good point, Bumblefish. Thanks for pointing that out.

merediffy
Guppy
Guppy
108 Posts

[Post New]by merediffy on Oct 14, 11 9:05 AM
I just finished the demo and I think I'll end up buying it, just not now.

The graphics are very good. Everything is clear, the objects not difficult to find at all. I used the walthrough, but I could probably have done it myself, it just would have been trial and error and I don't like to do that with a demo. When I buy, I'll change my profile and play it without the WT.

Really cool plot, very different from all the other HOG's I've played.

Overall, it's quite an enjoyable game. I'll give it an A.

DMH5321
Minnow
Minnow
250 Posts

[Post New]by DMH5321 on Oct 15, 11 4:00 PM
This one was worth my punch card code and my time. The early part of the demo did not grab me, but I came back a day or so later, finished the demo, and decided to buy. This was fun!

[Post New]by tinyseahorse on Oct 15, 11 6:39 PM
[b]just finished this game- loved it- i like to take my time so it took me about 4 hours-great for older eyes-nothing tiny!!!!storyline was cute and kept my interest-graphics great-the only thing that didnt thrill me was the ending but i guess that maybe the devs were leaving it open for part 2....but if that is my only complaint than the game was pretty good huh!!! happyhappyjoyjoy

[Post New]by tinyseahorse on Oct 15, 11 6:47 PM
fontana:::wow!! pretty harsh!! and very long! maybe you should become a dev. so that you could make the absolutely only one on the planet perfect game! im glad that i ignore reviews like yours before i buy a game and judge for myself first, then when i leave a short review,,i read what others thought of it!! have a and chill!

[Post New]by Quikkie on Oct 16, 11 9:32 AM
I loved this game. I prefer games like this than seriously/intense/spooky kinda games. Can anyone recommend any just like this?

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Oct 16, 11 6:22 PM
i was quite enjoying this game until i had to move the fortune teller closer to the crystal ball and i have no idea how i do this!!!!!

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Oct 18, 11 1:29 PM
I've been playing this game off and on for days. It's not short for me at all. I try to make a game last but I don't see how someone could finish in 1 1/2 - 2 hours. This is a delightful game. The fractured pieces are fairly easy to pick out but some I have to hunt for. I love all the mechanical things and chores that must be done. And no running back and forth untill I have no idea where I am.

Some will call it too simple but it's one of the few games as of late, that I can play without ripping my hair out or living in a walkthrough. I also feel challenged by many of the aspects of the gameplay.

But best of all, it makes me feel good when I play it. So glad I bought it.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Oct 20, 11 4:31 AM
Nice game, but too short!!

Go to: