Kamali
Guppy
Guppy
173 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Chronicles of Shakespeare: Romeo & Juliet

[Post New]by Kamali on Oct 8, 11 7:08 AM
lovely62 wrote:I really liked the game, My demo ran out, so I will buy this game

Ditto. I came so close to not even trying it after reading all the bad reviews. Then I came to Pepper010 and sinshack's reviews and decided to give it a go - and was not only very pleasantly surprised, but also very disappointed when I reached the end of the demo (and being disappointed when the demo runs out is my cue to buy... )

I had no tecnical problems at all, everything worked, and I found it fun. Off to buy it now.

Edited on 10/08/2011 at 7:23:19 AM PST

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Oct 8, 11 12:17 PM
Loved the game in demo mode, as the graphics are luxuriously beautiful, and all played technically smooth. Have always enjoyed the story of Romeo & Juliet, and the voice overs in this game are superb, along with the adventurous feel to it.

However, when I went to activate the game after purchase, I was unable to activate the paid version. Posted the code problem in the 'technical' section, so now I will await to hear from BF, as I already reviewed the help section, which did not help.

I hope I can activate and run it, because I was looking forward to this game.

Edited on 10/08/2011 at 12:18:11 PM PST

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Oct 8, 11 5:21 PM
Review/comment after demo only:

I just cannot like this game. The graphics seem a bit "blurry around the edges". I do not like not being able to pick up the hammer or button or crowbar or whatever when I see it....I just KNOW I'm going to need it in a bit! I found I used the hint button somewhat more than I like in games. The H0 scenes were OK...I guess. Some of the puzzles seemed to not give very good directions. The "fish maze" - I just couldn't get the fish to go where I wanted them to.

Story - Hmmmmm....not much accomplished in the demo version. Sound - I did not have speakers on so I cannot comment on that.

Overall - I just did not like playing the game.

[Post New]by nigeltkatt on Oct 9, 11 2:08 PM
The prequel was annoying and way too long. Having to hit ESC three times to get away from the dialog before the first puzzle only added to my frustration. I had to use the hint button in the first couple minutes of gameplay?

Uninstalled after I found the blue marble. A game should be a little bit intuitive. This one was confusing and boring.

Yes, the graphics were lovely, but there was too much distraction and "Wtf am I supposed to be doing here?"

ledheadmelli
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ledheadmelli on Oct 9, 11 4:54 PM
I have to agree with a lot of the other reviews that I wanted to like the game more than I actually did. A bit amateurish in many ways that hard-core gamers just find hard to tolerate at this stage. Too many cut scenes, ambiguity about what you need to be doing, not being able to pick up an item until the need arises for it - it's all been said (better) by others.

However, I ADORE Shakespeare and want to encourage more games of this type, so I'm seriously thinking about using a credit on this even though it is not up to my normal standards. Seems I beta'ed this game several months back, but only recognized bits here and there, so prior feedback may have improved it somewhat already. Which means devs listen to their customers.

So...hey, devs? NICE first effort, but lacking so much that it will sell more via loyalty to the Bard than because of great playability. Please study the other offerings out there (Isabella, Dark Parables, MCF, etc) as well as the comments here and return to the table with a much improved product for your second offering. There is a wealth of ideas for games in the works of Shakespeare - something to appeal to everyone if done right.

I'm going to give you a Mulligan on this one and use a credit on it - not because you made a great game, but as incentive to continue on in this direction. Besides, I'm dying to know how it all ends

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Oct 10, 11 5:16 PM
OK, I'm thinking Pepper & I got the *good* copies & y'all got some messed-up alpha version LOL b/c obvs we're the only ones playing the same game here.

1st, what is w/ all the "there should be instructions" etc? Um, there are. In fact, several screens' worth. After the intro scenes. It tells you exactly how to play, what your cursor will change to for different things, how to get a hint, how to skip, everything you need to know. I never skip those b/c you never know when a dev is going to pitch a curve & this one sure did, so it was worth the min or so of flipping thru it. I don't understand how so many ppl could miss the instructions. I suspect y'all went meh HOG know how to play don't need these & closed the window when it popped in.

'Sup w/ the spelling complaints? Obvs BFG doesn't *buy American* & hasn't for some time. Everyone should be used to foreign devs trying to cut corners on translation. Y'all keep buying despite that, it makes them think that's OK, b/c it keeps happening. Just be thankful this isn't in Middle English. Yes, Shakespearean-era English is not Modern English (have you read this dude's plays, that would be the 1st clue). There was no standardized English spelling & yknow what, there still isn't today. Just b/c *you* spell it "color" doesn't mean the rest of the English-speaking world isn't laughing at you for not spelling it "colour". "Usefull" was actually the correct spelling in the late 1500s. Semantics.

Shakespeare got his *big break* from the brothers Stanley, Ferdinando & William, who were Elizabeth Is cousins via Mary Tudor's other daughter Eleanor Brandon & who established & were patrons of one of the 1st stage companies in England. So the storyline outside of the play was done by ppl who had an actual clue what was going on b4 he got *famous*. Playwrights couldn't survive w/o patrons. It's not like today where the day job is more important & you write in your spare time. Art was considered very important & wealthy patrons even more so. This is really true-to-life so props to the devs for picking up on this little-known fact (& you're going to sigh over their spelling? oy).

con't outta space....

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Oct 10, 11 5:19 PM
'Sup w/ the "it's too short" thing? Since when is estimating 3 hrs too short? The 1st PuppetShow & Reincarnations both ran about an hr & a half & ppl were raving & rushing to buy. I've already been playing it longer than 3 hrs, & I'm only just past the street brawl (which all good rdrs of Shakespeare will know is toward the beginning of the play). You can't guesstimate w/ a glance at the walkthru on this one. This ain't your grandma's HOG. You spend so much time gazing at the graphix trying to take in all the details that it's going to run a lot longer than you think it is.

The graphix are not only excellent (those who are having trouble w/ them may need some upgrade) but also period-true. I about swooned in Romeo's BR to see actual Venetian plaster walls! Linenfold paneling in the passages. Rugs on the floors & not on the walls as tapestries. Black & white marble floors in a checkerboard pattern. Intricate woodcarving on shutters. Detailed stonework on balustrades & balconies. Formal pleasure gardens w/ labyrinths & statuary. These were all to-die-for Renaissance home decor trends. These devs have done their homework & not just thrown together a *period piece* from several different periods & expecting we're too dumb to know the difference b/c it all *looks old* anyway. Pepper & moi know the diff & we appreciate these little details b/c they add so much to the game's atmosphere. The devs have immersed us in 16th-century Italy & we don't have to get out of our jammies for it!

'Sup w/ the "it's too hard"? Huh? All I see are reviewers eye-rolling about *hand-holding* in other games. Well, this one isn't going to hold your hand one bit. Anyone who thinks other games are "too EZ" ought to be delighted w/ the level of challenge in this one. The last game I recall coming out that was anywhere near as challenging was The Stroke of Midnight (& that one still had H0 scenes here & there). Yes, this is difficult. But you can't have it both ways, pick one or stop saying the rest of the games are EZ!

con't outta space

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Oct 10, 11 5:20 PM
'Sup w/ the storyline complaints? It's Shakespeare, for Pete's sake....did we not think there was going to be any rdg? Actually, there's narration & voice acting, so there doesn't need to be rdg. Just listen & watch. It's like a little movie in a game. It's kind of disappointing to get back to the game b/c the devs have done such a good job on the storyline development. OK I'm not crazy about Anne's voice simply b/c sometimes she speakls too fast for the accent, but then again, she doesn't look like a lisping 5 yo, either. She looks tweenish & you've got to understand that in those days, English children didn't run around playing all day. They were learning Latin, Greek, translations, theology, rhetoric, debate, essays, history, geography, astronomy, & algebra in the schoolrm, & then advanced domestic things like intricate embroidery, musical instrument lessons, dancing steps, riding techniques after. They were expected to become *accomplished* in a well-to-do household. The avg Elizabethan 10 yo would put a modern American adult's education to shame. There wasn't even specialized children's clothing until the 1900s. They looked like miniature adults & were expected to speak & act like them. So her voice shouldn't be childish & giggly like a modern 11 yo's. These devs are on the ball.

'Sup w/ looking at Shakespeare's appearance askance? Nobody knows what anybody looked like for sure up until about 150 yrs ago when photography came into vogue. The storyline makes it clear this is the beginning of his career & that he's just been successful in finding a wealthy patron, so it stands to reason he'd be a younger man. Shakespeare can be cute

con't outta space

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Oct 10, 11 5:22 PM
And the *teenage thing* is b/c, well, they are teenagers. Juliet was 14. That wasn't 2011. Children were betrothed & often married in their cradles b/c romance wasn't supposed to factor into a marital alliance in the upper classes; that was for political power & financial gain. Paris wasn't *dating* Juliet. He went straight to Lord Capulet w/ his marriage proposal. Juliet was expected to wed as she was told whether she liked it or not. I like the fact that there's finally a portrayal of Romeo & Juliet as the ages of the characters Shakespeare intended them to be, not as young adults to soothe our tender modern sensibilities that teenagers shouldn't be getting married & well, yknow (which the devs glossed over b/c standing on the balcony all night ain't what Shakespeare wrote). That was *normal* in the 1500s. Romeo & Juliet was actually abnormal for the times. Ppl didn't run around falling in love.

I didn't think I'd like this game b/c I thought it was going to be one of those annoying randomly clicking on everything in sight games, but it's not. It's incredibly story-driven b/c it's doing 3 things at once....it's unfolding a Shakespearean play, it's explaining how Shakespeare got his stuff to the stage to begin w/, & it's adventuring & not just aimlessly picking up junk so that you can lug a mattress around w/ you for the next 6 scenes until it's needed.

I'm gobsmacked at the negativity this game seems to be generating when it has everything the comment threads are always begging devs to do! And we wonder why they keep churning out the same old dreck....it's b/c when they appear to be listening & incorporate what ppl *think* they want, then they decide they didn't really want that after all & don't like the alterations. Until Return to Ravenhearst there was no to-ing & fro-ing in a HOG, either, & y'all got used to that, right? I'd much rather to & fro within a scene than drag myself all over town any day (more IHOGs should be like Dracula: Love Kills w/ the instant gratification 1-click map). I just finished Arcelia Island & THAT was annoying. I SO did not need to go 10 clicks back to the underwater reef 3x in a row & then 10 clicks fw back to the island again! Moving in a straight line toward the goalposts is OK.

con't outta space

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Oct 10, 11 5:23 PM
And it's like happy happy joy joy to have a game that doesn't have some irritating lock, requiring half a dozen pieces you have to trek all over the place to find, on every single door & box you run into! THAT'S where your *game length* is coming from these days...mindless meandering to kill time & make you THINK it's a long game when it's just being dragged out in an irksome fashion looking for bits of this & pieces of that & sitting 4ever waiting on a skip button for some puzzle you have no interest in completing. If I don't want to do a puzzle here, Anne will do it for me. Good kid, that Anne.

I like H0 scenes & I do wish there were at least SOME in this game. I'm missing those. But I like the fact that it's challenging w/o making you backtrack 11dy6x & it's long b/c that's the way the story progresses, not b/c of *filler*. And did I mention it was gorgeous & historically accurate?

orijojo
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by orijojo on Oct 11, 11 6:16 PM
Hear, Hear scarlet_11dy6

Absolutely loved your comments, you have a wonderful "turn of phrase". I wasn't going to try this game on the initial reviews, then luckily I found yours, now I can't wait.

Even if the game turns out to be lousy, I'm sure I will enjoy it just following your appraisal of the history, era and decor of the time.

Well Done!

jojo

scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Oct 12, 11 6:19 AM
[curtsies]
TYVM jojo, if naught else this game is a pleasure for the eyes.

I think a lg part of the problem here w/ the negative reviews is BFGs irritating habit of miscategorizing pretty much everything as a HOG. It's NOT a hidden object game. It's more like adventure-lite. Therefore, it's got a limited appeal. Hard-core adventure game fans WILL probably find it EZ (upon reflection mayhap some of the reviews that did find it EZ were from that crowd), while HOG fans are all come over unnecessary b/c there are no H0 scenes in the game, IHOG fans aren't happy w/ the lack of to-ing & fro-ing that they're used to, & HOPA fans aren't getting enough puzzling to satisfy.

It's definitely different. And it's not going to hurt anyone to give it a whirl just to see how prettily designed it is & how good its production values are. You might like it!

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Oct 15, 11 3:54 PM
Great review, Scarlet! Yes, everything is period-appropriate, and that's a real accomplishment!

This is like a story in a story: the game's made-up story of how Shakespeare developed R&J, and R&J. The work on everything, including the artwork, is absolutely first-rate.

On my computer and monitor, all the graphics are gorgeous, and clear and crisp. As you noted, there are lots of instructions. And if you click on the hint enough, it will tell you exactly what to do next--including where to go.

So if you want to play it, as you termed "adventure-lite," you can and explore. If you want more help, just click on the "hint" button more than once. The hints, unlike the cookie-cutter HOGs, aren't just for finding stuff in HOG scenes.

This is a very literate game--a real rarity. It's not only fun and challenging, but also a great way to get acquainted, or enjoy another fling, with Shakespeare.

I haven't yet found a flaw in this game.

Becca_jxxx
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Becca_jxxx on Nov 19, 11 2:52 PM
I love adventure games usually but this is just terrible!!

The graphics were okay, there is soooo much dialogue, I normally do not mind a lot of dialogue, but this was just boring and you could not make it go faster, just skip it altogether.

Every time you find an object, even though you know you will need it later, you cannot yet pick it up.

This is not a buy for me.

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Apr 9, 12 8:15 AM
This game is just clunky. I bought it on the Easter sale and played about half of it before uninstalling. It is so awkward to have to hit the right spot to get the ability to pick up something like a key that you could have picked up before if the game would have let you. On top of that all the dialogue is tedious. Even if you hit the escape button to skip it you still have to wait for the graphics to load.
This game isn't worth even the $3.50 I paid for it.

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Oct 20, 12 6:52 PM
I really wanted to like this game, being a Shakespeare nut and all - and having watched the various movie interpretations umpteen times - very motivated here - but the game just isn't all that.

The best part is the ambient sounds: birds, water flowing, cuckoos, just lovely. The graphics are inviting and colourful until you want to actually find something, then they are incredibly dark. Loading time was a turnoff for me between scenes.....

Hunting for objects lost some of the fun when I realized I couldn't just pick up what I wanted when I saw it, so there was a lot of back and forth and remembering where things were.

Someone mentioned the period-appropriateness of the details - not on your nelly! The house, furnishings, clothing, cart and harness, art and paintings, speech and vocabulary, I could go on and on - very little actually was appropriate to the fourteenth or fifteenth century. Watch the Zefferelli movie. (What are deepenings, anyway? I doubt if Shakespeare ever heard that word.)

No puzzles, headache from pixel-hunting hidden items in fuzzy scenes. This will not be a buy for me.

Seester2
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by Seester2 on Sep 19, 13 7:54 PM
This game has a great concept, but was just put together badly. The graphics were grainy, and the cut-scenes were WAY TOO LONG. You could not add things to your inventory until you needed them, so there was a lot of moving back and forth to find things. It also was not a very long game....I think I finished it in about 2 hours or so.
I give this game overall a 6 out of a 10.

Go to: