Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial Collector's Edition

[Post New]by dasmoehrchen on Oct 8, 11 1:19 PM
I love Edgar Allan Poe, period!
I loved the first two games and eagerly waited for this one to come out.
As expected, I was not dissapointed. Another winner in my book.
Hope they keep coming!!!
The Fall of the House of Usher? Boy, that be another good one.
Only one bad thing, once I approached the end I did not want to continue..did not
want the game to come to an end.
Good one like this are so far between...

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial Collector's Edition

[Post New]by dasmoehrchen on Oct 8, 11 1:24 PM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention,
this sound funny but I think the Detective is real cute!

LadyDream
Clownfish
Clownfish
515 Posts

[Post New]by LadyDream on Oct 8, 11 3:23 PM
Early on, you have to find a lighter. That type of lighter was not invented until the early 1900's, so it's a bit of an anachronism. Yea, I'm having a geekette moment here.

Count me in as another geekette! I wondered if anyone else would comment on that. It really irritates me to find a whole game set in ancient times with modern anachronisms, unless they are explained by a time warp. Luckily this game doesn't seem to have many.

I will have to wait for the SE, but I will wait impatiently. I was really very sorry when the demo time ran out. Reading reviews on the bonus play makes me think I may just upgrade this one at a later date.

And I think the detective is cute too, LOL

tomb57
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by tomb57 on Oct 8, 11 6:17 PM
Very nicely done, excellent graphics, sound, story, and length of play.
Bonus game adds another level to the story.
Decent puzzles and HOS, try it you'll Like It.
Thanks ERS Games, and BFG, for bringing us this one !!!

guppy3
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by guppy3 on Oct 8, 11 9:57 PM
Penguin29 wrote:great game.. loved it. took me about 5 hours total. just a note that in some of the **** scenes the items don't match the description... a goblet is NOT a bowl and a funnel is NOT a water can.

Right on! Did a scene calling for a snowflake and I found one but no, not that one. There's another one in an interactive scene not visible and not highlighted in red. Lots of misclicks on that.

Otherwise YEA! I've bought several SE's lately using coupons and they were okay games but not up to this standards. ERS did it again. So many sequels fall short. This one has a strategy guide and stays at the last page you looked. The hints charge easily and the puzzles are challenging and definitely a new spin on them that makes them recognizable as old friends, but with a new twist. Above all, it's non linear which I love because I don't like to find an item, use an item, find another item, use it immediately. I prefer a big inventory collection where I'm forced to creatively think about how to use them, though in one of them it took me awhile to figure out how to find the acorn by using the cigarette lighter on a candle and then take candle to spider web to burn it away to see if acorn behind there. I tried the lighter directly on the web but no, that's not allowed.

I'm really enjoying the game; it will definitely be one with replay value. EAP Black Cat is on my top ten and this will have to go on it too if it keeps up its pace. I'm only on chapter 3 so a lot longer to go. Easily 5-7 hours of play unless you're part of mensa! Thanks to all the reviewers. I read them all before I buy and I could see everyone was really into it so bought it after just about 15 minutes of play.

Love this game.

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Oct 9, 11 7:29 PM
PHENOMENAL GAME!! I loved every minute of it and couldn't believe when it was over. It was definitely a long play game, but it could have gone on forever, in my opinion! Great graphics, no technical issues, wonderful voice overs... True, some of the items were strangely labeled and didn't belong in the time period, but I only found a few and it really didn't bother me. Great job (once again!) ERS!! Can't wait for the next one... you never disappoint!!

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Oct 9, 11 7:32 PM
Excellent game! I am thoroughly enjoying it! As someone mentioned earlier, I also like having a lot of items in the inventory at once! That is why when I enter a scene, the first thing I do is look at everything before doing the H0 scene...can sometimes pick up something I know I'll need eventually. Backtracking to find something or where to use something taking only seconds? Not for me! Short-term memory problems? Possibly...

I have used the SG a couple of times and found that I had overlooked a certain place in a scene to find what I needed. Music - I didn't have the speakers on. Graphics - very nice and clear for the most part. I do like the interaction in the H0 scenes as it gives a bit more "play", and revisiting them doesn't bother me at all.

Again, this is a very enjoyable game for me...so back to it!!

Just finished the game and I still think it is excellent! It took me several hours to play in part because I stopped for a few days then went back and had to "refresh" my memory on where I'd been and what I'd done and seen. The SG surely helped with that! There are some items "misnamed" as mentioned in someone else's post so I did use the hint button more than I normally do. The bonus section took me quite a while to finish. Some mini-games I skipped because I wasn't too clear on just what I needed to do.

I will certainly put this game on my "replay in the future" list, and I don't regret buying the CE at all. (I remember when the CEs were $19.99 and am thankful the price was dropped!) I have no real complaints at all as I have never yet in all my years of playing H0 adventure games found a "perfect" one with excellent graphics, excellent music/voices, too many or too few H0 scenes, too much/too little "running about", great story, etc. (although RTR and Dire Grove come close!!).

Edited on 10/16/2011 at 7:31:22 PM PST

TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Oct 9, 11 7:35 PM
Wow! I was starting to get burnt out on ERS games. Too much of the same old, same old and not enough innovation. But this game knocked my socks off. Original and challenging mini-game puzzles, not as many H0 scenes, H0 scenes have little puzzles within them that need a bit of attention and several steps (instead of just pixel hunting for the thing that gets used.) and tricky inventory items. There are 33 roses to find and they are nicely scattered. (I love collecting within a game) It's as much fun as the first two.

Bonus: You actually reuse a screwdriver! Amazing.

Edited on 10/09/2011 at 7:39:31 PM PST

[Post New]by rolltide01 on Oct 10, 11 2:15 PM
Riverman73 wrote:
Am I the only one who doesn't have wide screen? It doesn't even look like full screen.

Rolltide: it might have something to do with your type of video-card. Certain videocards dont seem to support a full screen option for games by ERS.

Two options:
- try to 'play' a bit with your resolution settings, sometimes that helps
- or ask customer service of BFG. They might be able to tell you if your videocard supports this game.

Good luck.

[Post New]by rolltide01 on Oct 10, 11 2:17 PM
Riverman73 wrote:
Am I the only one who doesn't have wide screen? It doesn't even look like full screen.

Rolltide: it might have something to do with your type of video-card. Certain videocards dont seem to support a full screen option for games by ERS.

Two options:
- try to 'play' a bit with your resolution settings, sometimes that helps
- or ask customer service of BFG. They might be able to tell you if your videocard supports this game.

Good luck.

Thanks Riverman73...I'll try that

jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on Oct 10, 11 4:15 PM
Excellent, Excellent Game!!!!!

I hope ERS keeps making "Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe" games.

There are none better.

Thank you ERS and Big Fish

ermajackson121
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by ermajackson121 on Oct 11, 11 9:59 AM
CAN SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME FINDING THE PAINT BRUSH!!!!

I cannot paint the man on the horse....

I have gone all the way thru the help site...can;t find where I collect the darn brush

please help...stuck in the mud here and I am enjoying the game so much...

thanks

[Post New]by smartvalerie on Oct 11, 11 10:03 AM
Eisteepfirsich wrote:
pjfrompa wrote:Sorry, I just can't figure out what ERS means.

ERS is the developer from this game (ERS game studios).

I like this game very much, not enough for paying the double price. The graphic is really great, also the gameplay. But I doubt that the gameplay time is not very long like in previous ers games and I really dislike, that the game doesn`t have a widescreen option. Its a buy for me as the SE

It fits m y 19in wide screen! Does windows 7 automaticly
changes setting to fit? Just half way through the demo & will buy as CE love the Dark Tales series, don't need the wallpaper or extra game play but do love ERS games. It's a buy for me. happy gaming.

Kebbielebbie
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Kebbielebbie on Oct 11, 11 11:33 AM
This was a good game but I found myself bored. Perhaps I am not in the mood but I do see a few others that agree. The graphics were very good though and I thought it was particularly challenging at times.

[Post New]by littegoldfish on Oct 11, 11 6:28 PM
@TEAMSD...

Thank you so much for your reviews, they are the first ones I look for when I hit the forums regarding a game and they are a great help!

[Post New]by aeckels25 on Oct 12, 11 5:53 AM
ermajackson121 wrote:CAN SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME FINDING THE PAINT BRUSH!!!!

I cannot paint the man on the horse....

I have gone all the way thru the help site...can;t find where I collect the darn brush

please help...stuck in the mud here and I am enjoying the game so much...

thanks

I can't find the brush either! I am about ready to give up and just quit the game. I have looked everywhere!!!! Please help!

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Oct 12, 11 3:37 PM
Very good game by ERS, wonderful artwork, and entertaining as always. My one suggestion would be to stop flashing/pulsing the journal once a new entry has been added so if I choose not to look at the journal right then it won't constantly distract me while I continue to play.

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Oct 13, 11 7:11 AM
As always, a visually lovely game by ERS. The game was well done, with a good story, smooth game play and great graphics. They did a nice job with the facial movements in this one, and Inspector Dupin was great, with good voice acting, although much less so with the other characters.

The adventure elements were slightly more challenging than the last few ERS games, but I still get the rather repetitive feel from the game - I guess I have just played too many of them. Also, this one was not nearly as spooky as I expected - the music was a little too upbeat to give the game the ominous feel it needed. They really need to update their soundtrack.

Overall, a good, but familiar feeling game. I liked the Dark Tales Black Cat much better, but then again, I had not played so many games by this developer at that point.

molla311
Stingray
Stingray
4,680 Posts

[Post New]by molla311 on Oct 13, 11 12:05 PM
I really loved this game as I did with the Black cat.
Great story, art and graphics. Got a good feeling in the game.
I hope for more Edgar Allen Poe storys with just as good quality
For the music-I have got so used to it that I find myself humming along

It ran fine with no problems on my machine, filled the
G 2220Hd screen.

Agree with penguin about the funnel, I had to use a hint on that one lol

Edited on 10/13/2011 at 12:06:27 PM PST

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Oct 13, 11 3:16 PM
Thank you all again for taking the time to review games. I never buy until I've read most of your comments, don't have enough money to waste on boring games. Used to waste a lot of money! NO MORE! Thanks to my fellow fishies I wait until you give rave reviews, then I look at the game to see what I think. Will look at this one.

Go to: