cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Halls: Fears from Childhood Collector's Edition

[Post New]by cbtx on Oct 15, 11 2:35 AM
Cobweb55 wrote:I too, was having a problem will ALL my games suddenly not filling my 17" widescreen monitor and I read a tip somewhere here in the forums that fixed that.

Go to your desktop and right click.
Chose Graphic Options
Chose Scaling
Chose Scale Full Screen
Chose Apply
Chose Okay

I haven't had the first problem with black bars since I've done this! Hopes it helps someone!

Off to download... thanks for all the great reviews! ERS rocks!!

Like Valdy, I have a WS laptop and these particular options are not available to me, but it seems we may be getting close to an answer somehow or maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. Also like Valdy I am W7, 64 bit so if there is an answer I wish I knew it. Still hard to believe that these ERS games don't do that little bit of extra programming so WS would be available!

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Oct 15, 11 2:42 AM
Valdy wrote:
edmee1947 wrote:i have a 22' screen and it is full!

Yes, but is it a widescreen monitor? We weren`t talking about the size of the monitor but that for many of us the ERS games don`t fill the whole screen on a widescreen monitor, so that we get black bars at the left and right.

Exactly, Valdy, I was so glad to read your post since it 1) describes the problem exactly and 2) lets me know I'm not alone in this particular frustration. Thanks!

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Oct 16, 11 3:51 AM
I'm surprised to read some negative remarks about this game, it's the first one that's actually engaged me in months. I've gotten to the point where I'm not even trying many of the new games due to boredom with the genre and when the SE version rolls around, I'm still not interested. However I gave this one a try, bought it after playing half an hour and spent the next four hours totally obsessed with it. The animation is amazing, the sound effects completely appropriate and believable, the story is very good and the attention to detail is absolutely amazing. (Oh, and they actually used child actors to voice the characters. HUGE improvement over obvious adult actors using squeaky voices to sound young.) The toy shop chapter in particular was mind boggling but there's a desert scene with animated camels in the background and a tiny moving scorpion in a far corner that enchanted me. Claiming this developer is throwing these games together just for profit is complete nonsense, this looks like a labor of love.

Highly recommended.

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

[Post New]by Janie42 on Oct 16, 11 11:10 AM
@ megwoman25 => Thanks for the in-depth review!

I agree 100% & like you join the growing #s greatly saddened by ERS's rapid descent from a once-brilliant studio into what seems now a formulaic, go-for-the-cash game mill instead.

You aren't alone & it's more than that we've become such experienced casual-lite adv HOgamers IMHO.
megwoman25 wrote:This game isn't new or original and ERS are about as tired as a camel that has trekked 92485 miles in the Sahara desert.
LMHO, but so true.

megwoman25 wrote:There needs to be new music, please ERS, my ear drums are killing me from the same soundtrack being used again and again...

megwoman25 wrote:Yes, they have nice graphics but having nice graphics doesn't mean its going to be a great game.
Spot-on & in fact I believe ERS graphics--esp. in HOscenes--are getting poorer.

megwoman25 wrote:First game in this series was so out of the box, so interesting, so many rooms with people with different fears... so hard to figure out what to do next... but I finished this demo in 30 minutes.... no thought to it at all even on hard mode.
Same here...

megwoman25 wrote:The hidden object scenes are soo easy I could just click around aimlessly and find all the objects.
Right, we don't even need to look at the lists since objects are badly drawn & many stick out obviously.

megwoman25 wrote:I just want the same games we used to get where it was a challenge and not sewn together to make a profit... something needs to give... I really hope this developer tries to change things up. Everyone hates HdO games but ERS and HdO have A LOT in common.
Exactly my feelings:
ERS must be losing fans release-by-release (just like ERS games are losing length!) & newcomers are getting many other far better games to select from too.

Hoping ERS retrenches--lets the cash cow sleep for a bit while they get back to nurturing the creativity & passion that once made ERS games stand out in a good way, not in the HdO way.

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Oct 16, 11 11:49 AM
Another winner from ERS! Their games always play so smoothly, without a glitch, and their animated graphics... SUPERB! Voice overs great as well. Did not even have to play the entire demo, to know this was a buy for me. The only downer...
their HOG scenes are too easy, but I still enjoy the game play.

ADDENDUM: Just felt the need to add this, for any others who can relate.

I'm no 'newbie' to ERS, or gaming... many years, in fact. Game genres I play and love... All Grand Theft Auto, Myst, TM's, HOG's, Puzzles, War strategy games, All Nancy Drew, ... you name it, I'll play it (when I have the time :-)... Easy or hard, or somewhere in between, slow or frenzied pace, mentally challenging or not, doesn't matter, as long as it is enjoyable Yep, even some of us 'serious gamers' like this ERS game! Hardcore and serious gamers understand this. No need for others to insult others who like this game, by insinuating that those who like this game are only 'casual' gamers, implying they are somehow deficient. LOL I'm still waiting to see the day on these forums, where people can give their 'mature' opinions without making derogatory sny reference to others for their opinions.

Also, currently loving LA Noire on PS3, though it is not a BF offer.

Edited on 10/17/2011 at 1:45:35 AM PST

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Oct 16, 11 4:28 PM
Another winner from ERS!! Just wish it had been longer.... esp the bonus game, but all in all, I enjoyed it very much and surmise a sequel is in order!! Can't wait!!

If you haven't purchased this gem, I HIGHLY encourage you to try the game, and feel pretty certain that most of you who do will buy. ERS does NOT disappoint!!!

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

[Post New]by Beingknown on Oct 16, 11 5:38 PM
Haunted Halls: Fears from Childhood has some visually stunning graphics in the primary game-play, however I found the hidden object scenes to be somewhat grainy and the objects a bit of an eyestrain to locate, because of blurriness.

The game itself is fairly entertaining, though a bit too straightforward and unchallenging, for my tastes. You basically locate a few objects which you will need to use almost immediately in a rather obvious and easy puzzle.

I do think for the casual gamer, this will be enjoyable. But for the more serious gamer, I think you’ll find this one too simple, although generally beautiful to look at.

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Oct 16, 11 6:36 PM
All I can say is.........Wonderful! Fantastic! Stupendous! Great Work, ERS! I thought this was a beautifully done game and I had absolutely no problems with blurry graphics, they were very clear, I have to wonder why some fishes find the graphics blurry or fuzzy.....guess I was one of the lucky ones .....ERS always puts forth wonderful games and this one is especially well done! Kudos!! Keep them coming, ERS! I do not find that the ERS games have gone downhill, a comment that I have read in some reviews on the forum...not in the least

Edited on 10/16/2011 at 6:37:44 PM PST

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Oct 17, 11 4:18 AM
lilTweet7 wrote:Another winner from ERS! Their games always play so smoothly, without a glitch, and their animated graphics... SUPERB! Voice overs great as well. Did not even have to play the entire demo, to know this was a buy for me. The only downer...
their HOG scenes are too easy, but I still enjoy the game play.

I'm no 'newbie' to ERS, or gaming... many years, in fact. Game genres I play and love... All Grand Theft Auto, Myst, TM's, HOG's, Puzzles, War strategy games, All Nancy Drew, ... you name it, I'll play it (when I have the time :-)... Easy or hard, or somewhere in between, slow or frenzied pace, mentally challenging or not, doesn't matter, as long as it is enjoyable Yep, even some of us 'serious gamers' like this ERS game! Hardcore and serious gamers understand this. No need for others to insult others who like this game, by insinuating that those who like this game are only 'casual' gamers, implying they are somehow deficient. LOL I'm still waiting to see the day on these forums, where people can give their 'mature' opinions without making derogatory sny reference to others for their opinions.

Also, currently loving LA Noire on PS3, though it is not a BF offer.

Thanks for your addendum, I've been bothered by denigrating comments like that here for years. Using words like 'childish', 'simple', and now 'casual' to imply that the speaker is a much more serious and talented player of games is really blanking annoying. Being arrogant about an imagined 'talent' at playing hidden object games is ludicrous.

Back on topic. I was a little disappointed with the bonus since there really wasn't much there but the game gave me a good 5 hours of play, and I didn't find any of it tedious like I normally do. Short attention span, I guess.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Oct 17, 11 6:36 AM
LapTopDancerr wrote:
textrekkie wrote:This review is based on the demo version.

Haunted Halls: Fears from Childhood is the second in the Haunted Halls series from ERS. Up front options are the typical sliders for music and sound, options for full screen and custom cursor. Two play modes are offered, Regular cabin, the left background looks pretty good and shows a bird.........

This is the THIRD installment of Haunted Halls. The first one was an SE and the second a CE/SE. Originally purchased SE, never got around to reading reviews and then noticed as time passed, most reviews said the HH SE had an abrupt ending and the CE "cleaned things up". I then purchased the CE and have to agree with the majority of reviews for HH CE II.
!

There have only been two games - Haunted Halls: Green Hills Sanitarium and Haunted Halls: Fears from Childhood. Both were introduced as CEs. Thus, it would be second in the series.

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

[Post New]by Beingknown on Oct 17, 11 9:54 AM
I was saddened and surprised to realize that a couple of you felt insulted by the terms “casual” and “serious” gamers. I wasn't trying to be unkind to any gamers or insulting to anyone or to the game itself.

By "serious" I mean intellectually demanding. So, when I am in the mood for a serious challenge, I want a game that is quite difficult, makes me think very hard, and may have puzzles that confuse and/or stump me until I finally work them out. When I am in the mood for a more casual game, I like one that is less cognitively taxing and is therefore, as I said in my post “Straightforward and simple”. I will sometimes enjoy those too.

The review is of the game, not the people who play the games. A great many of my friends prefer to be called “casual gamers” because they want to just have fun and not feel too challenged with cognitive conundrums . If I say simply that a game is "easy", it hurts their feelings. So, I write reviews with them in mind, and their preferred verbiage, which is the common nomenclature found in the game forums. Sorry if you took umbrage. There was no malicious intent on my part.

These reviews are just our humble opinions, and at least on my part, are always just about the game, not those who do or don’t like the game. I apologize if anyone’s feelings were hurt or insulted.

Edited on 10/17/2011 at 10:04:22 AM PST

SandraSwede
Shark
Shark
14,103 Posts

[Post New]by SandraSwede on Oct 17, 11 1:00 PM
I wasn't insulted. I understood perfectly well what you meant as I'm sure everyone else does too.

KimiKanda
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by KimiKanda on Oct 17, 11 3:09 PM
"Intriguing", "absorbing" and "stimulating"!. I thank you ERS for such a captivating game. Keep them coming. The People's Choice Award give "Haunted Halls: Fears from Childhood Collector's Edition" - and .

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Oct 18, 11 3:46 AM
Hey BeingKnown--Off-topic here, because this isn't a game review; just wanted to let you know that your comments aren't "insulting." We can be "casual" gamers and "serious" gamers at the same time (as I am). Want a "serious challenge"? Try "The Tiny Bang Story." Want a good "casual" test? Try "Madame Fate."

I believe that this ERS offering will equal (or even surpass) the previous "Haunted Halls" game for both "casual" and "serious" gamers.

Regards, elldee

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Oct 18, 11 9:31 AM
Okay, ERS - while you've made some top games in the past the current releases are just too "formula" and really lacking originality. Same old journals/diaries that WILL NOT stop sparkling/pulsing until I open them (which I can't stand), same music, same artwork style, and essentially the same mini-games. I will think twice about buying future games.

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Oct 18, 11 2:02 PM
lilTweet7 wrote:

I want to assure everyone that I was not trying to be malicious or insult others with what I wrote. I did use the word "casual" and I am aware hardcore and serious gamers also like casual games like ERS. I consider myself a hardcore gamer and I have a lot of not so hardcore games in my library that I love and have replayed many times. I understand everyone has their own taste and some people still really adore ERS games, I just don't happen to be one of them. Last year everyone said that "Hodgepodge Hollow" was too childish and thats one of my favorite games. Its relaxing and another one of my favorites is "Gotcha: celebrity secrets" which lots of fishies didn't care for. So I like a huge variety of games that some would call "Hardcore" like my large file adventures and then "casual" like the two I just mentioned and thats fine with me. I wasn't judging anyone's taste level with my review just simply stating ERS games seem to be a bit tired in my opinion since its always the same thing over n over again but I know some people like that. Just like vanilla isn't my favorite ice cream because its plain and I like bits of stuff in my ice cream like bubblegum ice cream is my favorite lol yet vanilla is the most popular ice cream flavor in the world. Everyone likes something different and different opinions are a good thing. If everyone liked the same things, ice cream, games etc the world would be a very boring place but I will try to word things differently as not to offend anyone. happy gaming

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Oct 18, 11 2:04 PM
banshee10 wrote:@ megwoman: thanks a lot, meg! That was a great statement and I enjoyed your post, especially what you said about originality.

And music in ERS games: I DO agree. They should have a look (or an ear, btw) at Gravely Silent, for example, where every single character gets his/ her own music. THIS is how things COULD have been done....

your welcome Im waiting for the day ERS just blows my socks off again. I remember when they first came out with the first puppetshow game and how it just totally immersed me and I played it allll day long til I finished just could not get enough. I can only hope someday they will have the power to do that to me again. =) happy gaming.

tomb57
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by tomb57 on Oct 18, 11 7:37 PM
Very nice sequel to the first game.
Great graphics, decent story, puzzles, and length of gameplay time.
No bonus game, and does not look like a lead in for another sequel.
Satisfying nonetheless.
Thanks ERS, and BFG for this one !!!

sherisgirl
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by sherisgirl on Oct 20, 11 10:54 AM

What fantastic game, loving every minute of it, in the cemetary now, but the graphics and everything is the best, absolutely loved the toy shop and all the things that needed doing.

Cant praise this game enough,

anki6969
Minnow
Minnow
242 Posts

[Post New]by anki6969 on Oct 22, 11 10:06 AM
I`m also very tired of ERS-games now. I have several of them and loved them from the beginning. Now it´s just "same old ,same old"
And the music: it makes me It´s exactly the same in every game.

Please put some love and effort in your games again!

Go to: