Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

Re:Reviews for Drawn™: Trail of Shadows Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Oct 21, 11 5:34 AM
BIG DISAPPOINTMENT no extra play or none that I could find anyway.
The thread about this is now on page 3 of the forum. It may be a good idea to sticky that thread as the extra isn't obvious (and doesn't appear to be documented outside of that thread).

Edited on 10/21/2011 at 5:36:14 AM PST

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Oct 21, 11 6:33 AM
Excellent game. Beautiful, as all the Drawn games are, and I loved all the attention to detail that went into this game. You can even play with the menu screen. The story is engaging, I loved the pop-up book journal, the puzzles were from easy to moderate. This is a game you can fully immerse yourself in and just want to spend time in this world. Marvelous job, BFG!

(And the extra game play is the Cave chapter.)

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Oct 21, 11 6:36 AM
Rebeca_Lily wrote:sinshack, thanks! But you know, the first impression means to me a lot.

First, I get dizzy (why in the name of God you put it???). Many of us hate sparkles - and you make sparkles on purpose? It is said too about moving screens!

Why I have to "work" to stop this movement? Can't the programmers get it by themselves?

Nothing will persuade me to buy this game, after viewing the opening - I want to play without any mental disturbance.

And it happens just in the company that I want to support by buying it's games...

Edit: to write sinshack name, instead of pufferfish... Blame the dizziness...

I loved the movement, made it more 3-dimensional and immersive. But I know there are those that get sick with such things. They do have the option to stop it.

Sparkles are not in experienced mode. If you don't want the sparkles, you should try playing as Experienced.

yogagirl50
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by yogagirl50 on Oct 21, 11 8:11 AM
Beautifully made and, imho, much better than the 2nd game, but much too short and simple. The hint system worked very well for me, and I'm not clear about which parts were extra gameplay, but definitely appears SE worthy, not CE worthy.

[Post New]by boredwidow on Oct 21, 11 8:14 AM
Wow, suckered into it again. This game is so short I feel like I threw my money away.
It's a beautiful game to look at like the 2 before but I would wait for the non-collectors edition to come out if you want to play.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Oct 21, 11 8:26 AM
I did beta the game and lasted a very short time as the inventory never ever showed up in the first scene which I played several times...I found all the pieces but there was no inventory to repair the paining from.

Having waited for the SE for the last Drawn game, I was surprised that there was no "hint" so I realized that is the SG for this game. I do like that feature I hate hopping all over the place in SGs. I get that the story is about darkness but hell's bells one can barely see the cursor and the inventory was tough to find in the first scene. With that said, and other comments read, I will buy this game as I love the Drawn series.

beckykay
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by beckykay on Oct 21, 11 10:24 AM
well, I loved the previous Drawn games. I'm most likely in the minority here, but I can't figure out one damn thing I'm supposed to do, and if I do understand what I'm supposed to do, I'm unable to do it. this one is way over my head. I think it looks like a beautiful game, I just don't have the intelligence to play it and it only frustrates me. happy gaming everyone.

swedane
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
494 Posts

[Post New]by swedane on Oct 21, 11 10:54 AM
Moto26261 wrote:Absolutely stunning and just as good as the first two IMO. Graphics are brilliant, and game play is excellent.These games are in a class of their own. Love every minute of it..more like this please BFG!!

I totally agree.

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Oct 21, 11 10:57 AM
one word.... AWESOME. no bugs playing this game, beautiful all around and took me a long time to play.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Oct 21, 11 12:55 PM
wow!

while i am waiting for the rest of the game to download [since i just HAD to buy it! ] i wanted to pop in and say that this is world of drawn that i initially fell in love with... dark flight was, indeed, dark and i was hoping for something a little more... brilliant... vibrant... something to make me fall in love all over again...

i was totally enraptured, even given the brevity of the glimpse into this painted world, and felt the pull down the rabbit hole before i landed at the cottage... it's beautiful, it's a charming, it's a children's tale, it's a step toward hope... and i cannot wait to get back to that world - one i know i will want to visit again and again...

i kinda wish i had a grandpa-like 'franklin' in my life to tell me stories when i was a little girl... and hopefully there will be more installments like this one to let me vicariously enjoy the tales as told to iris, the tales the so obviously inspired her to 'draw' in the first place!

Bexa
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by Bexa on Oct 21, 11 3:31 PM
I love this game! It is gorgeous and the music and voiceovers hit just the right balance between whimsy and irritating.

The Drawn games are some of my favorite and this looks to be another awesome achievement. Back to the game!

Oh, and some of the jokes and puns in the game (the "hunny" pot and "Pooh" comment cracked me up) are delightful little Easter eggs. K, diving back in!

Finished and is it beautiful! I didn't find all the pigs so have to play again to complete my achievements...plus I sucked at the croquet.

Plus, hey, the one thing I didn't like was (spoiler alert): I had to shoot ravens at the end! I mean really! My last name is Raven so that stunk. The raven door was very nice and the reference to murder when I got the door open was funny! Other than that...going in again!

Edited on 10/21/2011 at 8:08:37 PM PST

emwenz
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by emwenz on Oct 21, 11 3:41 PM
I couldn't finish the first Drawn series..it moved so slow and felt very awkward to play. I didn't even try the second one as a result.

But this game is fantastic! It's smooth, transitions beautifully and is very very intuitive. I noticed many complaints about movement but the motion is very gentle and quite limited, just enough to give you an extra sense of presence in the game and not distracting. Don't let that worry you.

I love this game. Simply beautiful and very relaxing. thx bf

Justine54
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by Justine54 on Oct 21, 11 4:33 PM
Took waaaaaaaaaaaay tooooooooo llllllloooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggg to download, like 4 minutes for each chapter and that was in the trial version. Even wasting about 16 minutes for load time, I still finished the trial version with 11 minutes left.
No thanks.

nawlinslady35
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by nawlinslady35 on Oct 21, 11 9:56 PM
I have to say that this game is as beautiful as the other drawn games.I love the books and the interaction.The music is hauntingly beautiful.I loved Franklin's and Iris's voice.I know alot of care and thought went into this game and kudos to the creators.I had no bugs or glitches and it loaded just fine.I didn't like the movement but I can get motion sickness easy so I was glad to read that I could turn it off.Thanks for putting that in there.Now here comes the hard part because it is not in my nature to be mean,but the game was WAY TOO SHORT.Come on now,I know you could have done better than this BFG with the length.The bonus part was bogus IMO.I buy CES not because of all that extra stuff doing with artwork and wallpapers, but for the bonus play.Length isn't that big of a deal as long as it isn't that short, but that was short.Even the bonus chapter was too short.I would ask for my money back but I would feel like I was ripping you off seeing as how I played the full game.Now,please forgive my rant.I don't like being that person.Just felt I needed to get that off my chest. At least try the demo fishies.It is a great game,just too short for me.Again,sorry for the little tirade.Have a great night all.

Edited on 10/21/2011 at 10:19:36 PM PST

brooklynblonde
Guppy
Guppy
175 Posts

[Post New]by brooklynblonde on Oct 21, 11 10:05 PM
I have to say I'm with the fishies who are disappointed with this installment of Drawn. This game should NOT be a CE-compare it to Painted Tower, and tell me why this should be a CE. Not sure if I'll even buy the SE of this.

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Oct 22, 11 1:47 AM
Im not a big fan of the Drawn series to begin with so take my review with a grain of salt. I do own the first one though but have never replayed it, in fact I don't think I ever finished it and I couldn't stand the second one. I just never really know what to do in these games like the casual level is too easy because of the sparkles but the experienced level is too hard and there isn't an easy strategy guide so I just end up like what do I do now? I understood what to do in this one because of the sparkles as I was playing on casual mode and the graphics were quite stunning but once again, what am I actually doing? whats the point of this game? I know, save the boy from the pictures blah blah but its hard for me to grasp and I consider myself quite savvy when it comes to games and I am a huge fan of adventure games so I just can't quite understand why this one never appeals to me but that being said out of all of them, this kept my attention throughout the entire demo enough to where I played out the whole hour and in that time I was able to get to the cave, which is the bonus play. So its like that voodoo game where the bonus content was in the middle. Its kind of weird to do it that way but Im usually burned out by the end of most games and don't ever play the bonus part so in the middle works for me especially since I have no plans of buying this so why debate it? Beautiful game but just not my cup of tea. Im still playing Fairway CE. Ive been playing 2 weeks and still on level 5 of 16 lol talk about getting your moneys worth!

oh but I did like the motion and I usually hate motion but I felt like I was at disneyland or something because the graphics were so fancy like going on its a small world or peter pan and oooing and awwing over everything. kudos to the developers on that one!

Edited on 10/22/2011 at 1:50:23 AM PST

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Oct 22, 11 3:16 AM
Excellent game, the 3th of the series, I loved every aspect of it.
The demo was quite short, and it went very fast, and reading some of the comments in this forum, it looks like the whole game is short as well to be a C E.
However, I think this is one of the best of this year so far, I played the other two of the series and my favorite is the painted tower, of course this one, trail os shadows, is more innovative for its whole structure, dynamic and graphics, of the first two, we'll see how it will end up!!!

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Oct 22, 11 6:22 AM
The art work is excellent. Franklin's voice is just as I remember from the previous games, very good. The puzzles range from easy to tedious, with a few unique ones that I enjoyed. There was not much to the story, just the basic good against evil. It is a good quality game but very short to be sold as a CE. The bonus chapter was only 30 minutes.

I occasionally used a hint. I did not skip any puzzles. I listened to and read all dialogue.

My times to complete the game:
Cottage and Garden = 1 hr 27 minutes
Cave (bonus chapter) = 30 minutes
The Mountain = 53 minutes
The Giant Head - 1 hr 10 minutes
Total of 4 hours

For me this game is not worth the $13.99 price . CE games should give you more than 4 hours in my opinion. I am sad there was not more content and I feel that I did not get my money’s worth. The first game in the series, Drawn: The Painted Tower, remains my favorite and it is only $6.99.

Opus1965
Guppy
Guppy
172 Posts

[Post New]by Opus1965 on Oct 22, 11 6:24 AM
JCarnival wrote:This game is so beautiful! The artwork is lovely. The puzzles are fun and challenging.
I love the interactive storybook pages. The music is beautiful too.

You collect pigs throughout the game…Yes! Pigs!

Wonderful, beautiful game.

Do they tell you how many pigs there are?

[Post New]by JCarnival on Oct 22, 11 8:30 AM
Opus1965: There are 27 pigs to find. The locations of the pigs are shown in the Walkthrough Menu under “Complete HOG list”

Go to: