Mimisix
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

Re:Reviews for Resurrection, New Mexico Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Mimisix on Oct 28, 11 7:45 AM
I did a demo of this game, last week I think and remember I wasn't too impressed. I dl'ed it yesterday and started to play. I then remembered the demo and thought "no way" this is not worth a CE. I thought the graphics were grainy and blah as were the characters.

I can wait for however long 'til its a DD, not even worth SE price. Then I might buy it. I always bought all the CE's as soon as they came out but decided a couple of months ago that they just aren't worth it.

JoFin
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by JoFin on Oct 28, 11 7:56 AM
This is in response to all those who have complained about the download time. Well, i usually don't have any problems with the download but I usually wait until it is "Today's game" My download took less than 5 minutes, but sorry to say I have no review since I usually come to the forums before I play to see everyone ideas. I think the early bird might get the worm but all that "dirt" getting to it, is now worth it for me.

sherstar
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by sherstar on Oct 28, 11 8:08 AM
No problem downloading - but cell phone never got added to inventory - even after adding parts correctly - only card cover appears - can't get cell phone anymore from her room and of course can't charge it in old man's bedroom - so I had to dump game - like it so far - will try it later - am getting new computer - maybe it'll work on that.

kidzz3
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by kidzz3 on Oct 28, 11 8:36 AM
I'm liking this game, but not loving it. I really wish that the game developers would make difficulty level a choice in all CE.

Of course, I'll be buying it regardless... I'd just have more fun if the game didn't automatically assume I'm too dumb to figure things out for myself. -sigh-

Riverman73
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Riverman73 on Oct 28, 11 9:05 AM
I didnt try to download this game yesterday, so i didn't run into the downloading problems many here had.

Judging on playing it now, i must say it suffers a LOT from an issue i have encountered in several other IHOG's before: good to great looking graphics in the main screens (in the case of this game: good) BUT very poor looking graphics in the hidden object scenes.

I actually rather like the surreal story and the use of inventory objects in the main screens (as others have mentioned: not too obvious, you have to think a bit and perform certain actions in certain orders to really continue). The main screens also are rather detailed and sharp, allthough i am not that fond of the over-use of green's and grey's, giving it all a bit of a 'depressed' look.

But unfortunately. the looking for hidden objects is a disaster. The first few hidden object scenes inside the house were you were trapped, aren't that bad, but the moment you get 'outside' the quality of them gets really poor.
The scenes suffer from grainy graphics. The objects themselves seem to come from some dated stock-collection and are thrown together in a cluttered way. Many of the objects you have to find are extremely tiny. The washed out colours being used don't help either. It are among the poorest designed hidden object screens i have ever seen in a CE.

I havent seen many puzzles yet (I love having many puzzles in an IHOG), but it seems like a very long game at least: in one hour i have placed just 1 of the 7 'coins'. So that's a pro.

So while i rate the general gameplay and graphics a 4 out of 5, the hidden object scenes IMO are like a 2 or even 1 out of 5. So a very schizophrenic game in that sense.

I am not sure if i can really stand the annoyance these Hidden Object scenes give me to continue playing this game. If these developers use better design for them the next time, they have the potential to create a great CE, but for now its a Thumb down for me.

Edited on 10/28/2011 at 9:19:24 AM PST

Patter57
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by Patter57 on Oct 28, 11 12:29 PM
Took a while to download but finally got it.

Wide Screen on my monitor which is a 22" worked fine.

Only one option

No voice overs, which I think would have added to the game.

No mad clicking penalty, tried it to see if would give me one, never did.

**** scenes are junk piles and at times difficult to find items. Not clear and crisp.

The hint charges very quickly, and moves you in the direction you need to go, plus tells you at the top of the screen.

Music was out of a bad spaghetti western. Just muted on my computer.

Took me forever to get through the first chapter. Not sure if it is because I'm slow or because the game might have some length to it.

Seems to be jerky through the game. It doesn't have a flow like other games. You swear you need that item, but will not let you pick up. But come back and whalla...pick it up. That bothered me. I'd just as soon pick it up, and then figure out later what I need to do with it.

Might get with a credit, but not the awesomeness of other games and not worth the CE price.

Patter

Beadfisher
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by Beadfisher on Oct 28, 11 2:06 PM
This is mildly entertaining but not compelling. I am not a fan of CE's. There have been games I quit before the demo was up as CE's, but when they came out in less bloated format, I bought.

I do not like voice overs. this didn't have them, so that is a plus. The game did not want me to leave when I wanted to.

On the whole, I think this eats too much space. Animation is okay, HOG's fun. But not compelling.

[Post New]by tomwilcha on Oct 28, 11 3:21 PM
Used hint to get about, at one point, when at the windmill, said "go to garage" went to garage and it said "go to windmill" never did solve it as time ran out.

Rhysdux
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,219 Posts

[Post New]by Rhysdux on Oct 28, 11 3:26 PM
I finally got the game to download today. Sadly, it's still not a buy.

The biggest problem for me was the rat that jumps toward the viewer. And by "jumps" I mean "fills the entire monitor screen." If you have issues with rodents, as I do, this is not what you want in a game. I screamed, backed away and flattened myself against the back of my chair.

The second difficulty was that the cursor was a bit stiff. I had to click the same items multiple times before the game would acknowledge that I'd found a hidden object or was picking up a found one.

The third problem--the items don't always look like what they're supposed to be. For example, the yellow tape that you pick up in the entryway of the hostel more closely resembles police tape for a crime scene than duct tape or masking tape. If not for the strategy guide, I wouldn't have known that I was supposed to use the tape with anything.

Now, that said, let me tell you what I liked about it.

* The strategy guide was excellent and very helpful. It showed me what to look for it, and without it, I think I would have missed a lot.

* The storyline itself was good. I liked the combination of the Native American motifs with the seven deadly sins; I ended up caring about the narrator character; and I found myself genuinely curious whether the sheriff guarding the town and imprisoning its inhabitants was the serpent we kept half-glimpsing around town, was an ally of this serpent or was the serpent's enemy. I'm not normally surprised by stories in games, so kudos to the writers!

* The hint button filled quickly and showed off the unspotted objects quite well. It also dropped hints about where you needed to go next, which I found quite helpful.

If not for the stiff cursor and the extreme close-up of the rat, I would probably buy the collector's edition. The strategy guide is just that good. As it is...no, I'm afraid not.

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on Oct 28, 11 10:07 PM
wow the download is unreal. I did not think it would ever load. however I got to play the demo and really liked it..game is different but this game will definitly keep you thinking..do not get dishearted because of the download.

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

wow the download is unreal. I did not think it would ever load. however I got to play the demo and really liked it..game is different but this game will definitly keep you thinking..do not get dishearted because of the download.

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on Oct 28, 11 10:08 PM

[Post New]by mostly_nameless on Oct 28, 11 11:31 PM
I didn't have any trouble downloading.

The storyline is familiar, but reasonably well done. I liked the story. I would've liked to see the mom deal with her own "guilt" a little more. But, it was pretty good.

But the graphics in the hidden object scenes ranged from "not great" to "truly awful". Some of the scenes in the bonus chapter were awful.

Things don't look like what they're supposed to (bullet? ha!), are hidden behind things, and are so grainy and in some cases transparent that they stink.

Also, it was good that there were liberal hints about where to go next because this is one of those games that won't let you do things out of the prescribed order. You can't get what you know you need in a scene and take it with you. Instead, you have to go do whatever (no matter how trivial) then come back to get the scenes to open. You'll run back and forth a lot.

Probably not worth the CE price, especially since I was disappointed in the bonus story. I wanted to know more about a different character and why that character did what they did. I didn't need to see the story I already knew about the bonus character.

Oh, and at least for me, a lot of items were very hard to click. I said "it is TOO!" a lot in this game and had to click, click, and click again to pick stuff up.

[Post New]by Moongold on Oct 28, 11 11:45 PM
This is a GREAT game - more interesting than a lot of Hidden Object games.

Edited on 10/28/2011 at 11:46:52 PM PST

xedster
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by xedster on Oct 29, 11 7:00 PM
I liked this game ... a lot. It kept me busy all afternoon on a snowy, windy, stay-at-home type of day, I even played the bonus game.

The hidden object scenes were quite difficult due to grainy graphics and unclear images, but for months I've noticed many complaints when objects are too easy to find, so I guess developers just can't please everyone no matter how hard they try.

Perfect game for a cold, snowy day like today in the northeast.

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

[Post New]by pgillenw on Oct 29, 11 7:29 PM
pgillenw wrote:So far I am thrilled to no end with this game. Downloaded to give it a ride and within fifteen minutes into the game I purchased. I love this genre. I have already been shocked out of my wits and I loved it. I will come back after I complete the game and let all know if it held together. Looks so far I will not be disappointed.

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

[Post New]by pgillenw on Oct 29, 11 7:33 PM
pgillenw wrote:
pgillenw wrote:So far I am thrilled to no end with this game. Downloaded to give it a ride and within fifteen minutes into the game I purchased. I love this genre. I have already been shocked out of my wits and I loved it. I will come back after I complete the game and let all know if it held together. Looks so far I will not be disappointed.

Well I finished the game and I thought it a VERY GOOD play. I liked being shocked by little critters. Very cleaver.

I downloaded the game easily -- did not time the download but it seemed quite reasonable, didn't take long at all.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Oct 30, 11 2:32 PM
Had to laugh about what Dark Disciple 1313 had to say about the game

What made me yawn, though, was the same old-same old hidden-object scenes, whereby the player had to find gears, feathers and horseshoes. I vote to ban all future uses of those items, unless they have a major impact on the plot. Here we are, some three hundred hidden-object games after the genre was created, and developers are still doing the exact same things as in 2005. Bleah.

Yep. We are all getting tired of the same old items - every game has you look for gears, horseshoes, magnets, dice, feathers, dominoes, gloves, levers, clock hands, chess pieces, batteries etc. And of course, always keys, keys, and more keys! Getting boring. For me, now the fun is not looking at the list and clicking on the item you think are on the list. Usually, I don´t have many left nor do I have much time taken off my playing time. The same lists with the same items! I agree - find some new items to locate. Same gear games in most of the games. Always seems to have some match the music tones in one combination or other. Never a door without some kind of lock - EVER! Predictable.

tomb57
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by tomb57 on Oct 31, 11 6:19 PM
Good Game for me.
No Technical issues, downloaded at normal speed(relatively fast) for me-I live in the sticks, so it is satellite here.
Great graphics, sound, and length of play.
I buy CE's for the Bonus game, and Strategy Guide.
Didn't need the S.G. here, as the hint system is very specific.
Bonus game was a plus, but left me guessing that either I missed something that closed the game, or was a kickoff to a possible sequel.
other than that, I liked the game.
Thanks for bringing us this one BFG!!!

Go to: