moonlightgrey
Flounder
Flounder
2,076 Posts

Re:Reviews for Hallowed Legends: Templar Collector's Edition

[Post New]by moonlightgrey on Nov 12, 11 6:32 PM
The Templars,Knights of the Holy Temple of Jerulsalem, as originally concieved were Christian warrior heroes (I know it doesn't play well today).

They were hounded by French king Louis whichever, for their money and tortured by the Inquisiton (who should all have been boiled in oil), who were pawns of Pope Innocent whichever for their strength and popularity.

No! I am not a Catholic, But Jaques de Molay was a saint.

Elephant!!!!! Don't meddle with history!

Good Game, but with some annoyances (Part 1)

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Nov 13, 11 4:28 AM
I just finished the game and others have given the details, so I will just make a few points. The game consists of 4 chapters, plus the Bonus chapter and took me about 5 hours to complete. As others have said, the interface, graphics, music, sounds, and voice-overs were well done, plus the cutscenes have real actors in them; so it seems like a movie. Very professionally done, the game was fun, and I recommend it.

However, there were some annoyances in the game for me. I don't like Hidden Object Scenes (HOS), so the faster I can get through them, the better. Here, the HOS were a mixed bag. The good points were that there was no random-click penalty, the hint meter recharged in a lightning fast 15 seconds, and there weren't that many HOS. So you would think that you could zip through the HOS. Not so, for me. First, the find list has 15 items, but many times you have to find multiple instances of the same item, so you could be looking for over 20 items. Next, I found many of the items were difficult to find, so even with random-clicking, I still had to use numerous hints. Then, many times an additional action is required to find an item. In most of these types of games, you might have to click on a drawer, it opens, and you find the item. Here. it was more complicated and sometimes you had to perform 3 steps to find one of the hiddem items. Also, many times you had to use an item from your inventory to find one of the items. However, the biggest problem was that many times you could start a HOS, but couldn't complete it because you didn't have the required item in your inventory yet.

Spoiler Alert: For instance, you have to find a lit candle and you find a candle holder and you find matches and then when you try to light it, it says you need a candle. So I went nuts looking for the candle, but it turns out the candle is not in the scene. So you have to leave the HOS until you find the candle later in the game. Then go back to the HOS, take the candle from inventory, put it in the candleholder, find the matches, light the candle, and then take it. This was maddening for me because at first, I spent a long time on the HOS looking for items that weren't there. I had to keep consulting the SG throughout the game. I didn't like being presented with HOS that I wasn't able to complete. The HOS should not have been activated until after you had all the iems you needed to complete them.

(continued)

Edited on 11/13/2011 at 4:36:29 AM PST

Good Game, but with some annoyances (Part 2)

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Nov 13, 11 4:29 AM
(continued)

Also, I didn't like most of the mini-games. Many of the instructions were complicated and I had to read them a few times to figure out what I was supposed to do. So I consulted the SG a lot or skipped many of the puzzles because I didn't have the patience for them.

Finally, I found much of the game was not intuitive, so I used Hints throughout the game to tell me what to do next. With the Hints the game was a lot of fun, but I would have preferred to be able to figure out things myself. With this game, it was too difficult and would have taken me forever if I didn't use the hints.

It might sound like I mentioned a lot of negative points, but the main thing was the HOS and there weren't that many of them. Basically, I figured out what I could and when I got stuck, I clicked a Hint and moved on, and the game was fun when I played it that way.

Edited on 11/15/2011 at 5:26:04 AM PST

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Nov 13, 11 5:22 PM
Well said, I posted a comment about this issue on the "unholy mess" spoiler main page, I have just finished the bonus chapter, which was very good, but the end was disappointing, they let you choice how it should end, use the ark for Helen to save her, or either to the warlock to destroy him, but the letter in the armor car sayed clearly what to do, so whay those options? No sense! Moreover I didn't like so much the minigames in this C E, well Elephant devlps, it looks like I am not alone!

moonlightgrey wrote:The Templars,Knights of the Holy Temple of Jerulsalem, as originally concieved were Christian warrior heroes (I know it doesn't play well today).

They were hounded by French king Louis whichever, for their money and tortured by the Inquisiton (who should all have been boiled in oil), who were pawns of Pope Innocent whichever for their strength and popularity.

No! I am not a Catholic, But Jaques de Molay was a saint.

Elephant!!!!! Don't meddle with history!

eedebeep
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

Minor game spoiler, This is a good CE

[Post New]by eedebeep on Nov 13, 11 6:29 PM
It's a pretty good CE, the story and length.Good puzzles, not many as many hidden object scenes, but I love how you can use inventory items in the scenes. Played it in hardcore, a couple of crashes but my progress was always saved. Bonus content ties in well. Just a few weird things, like modern day people running around dressed as Templars.
What was with the "doves"? They were in plain site, many more than the 50 required, and nothing happened when you found the 50. strange.

Thank you developers for having a voice control so I could turn off the voices. The dopey actors were bad enough, I don't think I could have taken the voices.

A-, please leave the actors out of the sequel!

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Nov 13, 11 6:29 PM
Well this CE was certainly worth the money spent! Enjoyed it every step of the way, including the bonus game. Nice length. Mini games were the same-o same-o, so I did skip a lot of those, they got mundane. However, the HOS were very interesting. Not only were they interactive with in the HOS, but you had to use items from your inventory as well as continue to look for items to finish the HOS in other areas. Took me awhile figure that one out. Skip/Hint buttons refresh quickly so you don't get bogged down. I ended up using the Hint button quite a bit especially toward the end. The objects collected don't always give you a good idea where to go next. But you will love this game!

TexasAnn
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by TexasAnn on Nov 14, 11 1:18 PM
I didn't like this game, even though I realllllly wanted to. I thought it would be interesting to play a more historical story, but this one just turned out to be silly. Here are my complaints:

The cursor seemed to have a swing to it. It was big and clumsy, and I felt as though I was actually wearing those old big gauntlets. It was difficult to pick up items because the sweet spot was teeny tiney

The story was not intuitive, and it was difficult to run around back and forth, up and down a ladder, out to the church back again etc. Fortunately, the hint button was excellent and provided concise clues.

You would think that the switch between live action and graphics would add to the excitement, but I hated it.

Would I buy this game? No, I'm very disappointed and regret the time I spent playing it.

tomb57
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by tomb57 on Nov 14, 11 1:56 PM
Very Good Game! 3 difficulty levels, great graphics, animations, and voice overs,soundtrack.
Good story line, and length of play. Skip feature for annoying puzzles.
Hint system is very good, don't really need a strategy guide, but I buy CE's for the Bonus games, and this Bonus game has a two endings.
I am going to go back and play the alternate version just to see what ending my choice would have made.
Some hidden object scenes can't be completed unless a found item is used from a previous scene or search. I like that.
Had no tech issues, filled wide screen display perfectly.
Thanks BFG, for bringing us this one!!!

mlbmama
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by mlbmama on Nov 14, 11 4:48 PM
I am an Elephant games fan and as a historian am interested in the Catholic terrorist organization known as the Knights Templar so I LOVED this one! A+ grade on this great game!

[Post New]by Paintedspoon on Nov 14, 11 6:11 PM
I'll have to ditto all the good comments. I've finally finished it and have loved it all.
Great game! When you need it the hints are very direct and a couple of times that was needed. The length is very good as well as the bonus. Glad I purchased this one.

Suggestions

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Nov 15, 11 5:33 AM
If the developers are reading this, here is another point of view. I love voice acting in the games, so please not only should you NOT discontinue it, please have more voice acting in future games. To me, that's the best part of the game. Also, I hate having to use Inventory Items in the HOS, so please do away with that in future games. Finally, please don't activate a HOS until the player has all the tiems they need to complete it.

Thanks.

CndnPhoenix
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by CndnPhoenix on Nov 15, 11 10:36 PM
Only finished the demo because I won't be buying.

It's a pretty game with nice cut-scenes added in.

But the mini-puzzles are unoriginal (dare I say easy) and uninspiring .

No matter what "difficulty" one chooses, every where you click your mouse, you are told exactly what to do.

(In fact, calling it the "difficult" mode, when all the devs did was remove the hint button, seems like kind of a cop-out to me. I mean, I am capable of making the choice not to use the hint button, all on my own.)

[Post New]by Kare12 on Nov 18, 11 7:28 AM
Downloaded it recently and that's what I say. There were faint, but the action scenes are good in concept. Few of these games to interest, but not for me. There is a better

ARETHORN
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by ARETHORN on Nov 18, 11 2:14 PM
Have just completed this brilliant game from the creative minds at Elephant Games.Would love to know where they get their brilliant story ideas from?. I played this game on Advanced mode and found it quite tough and had to use the strategy guide quite often.Nice crisp graphics,good sound,some great puzzles and more inventive HOG scenes where you had to use some of your inventory items to complete.I think a certain Indiana Jones may have inspired this one !!!!!!!Can`t wait for their next release.This is certainly worthy of a CE title.

[Post New]by magpie1323 on Nov 19, 11 9:08 AM
I enjoyed the demo but was on the fence about buying the CE. Now after reading all of the reviews and seeing them pretty much divided down the middle I think I am going to wait this one out. I agree with those that said the mini games were a bit too easy. The graphics are lovely and I liked the cut away scenes but those two factors are not enough for me to buy it.

[Post New]by pjwahine on Nov 20, 11 2:48 AM
Not really thrilled with this game - problems from the beginning with screen flickering - especially in the HOS...later in the game, the screen blacks out and I'm bumped back to my desktop every few minutes...wouldn't be posting a grievance if the game worked as it should.

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Nov 20, 11 9:29 PM
Finally got through it - seems like it's been ages since this came out (well ages in gaming years ) - had some tech problems (not game related) that slowed me down...

Really liked it - loved that there were no major tech problems Cursor did get sluggish - but for me if I went out to Main Menu & back in it snapped back into shape - very annoying yes - but doable. It is certainly a game that makes you think as well!

One or two folks commented they felt the story got confusing as the game went on - I was very worried about that - but I didn't get that sense - oh sure the whole story is odd - but pretty normal by game standards

Also were comments (which cracked me up) along the lines of it being obvious you needed a screwdriver to undo screws & why can't we use a butter knife (soooo true) but later in the game there were some things that were not as obvious & more creative in that vein.

Happy gaming, as they say !!!

capipe
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by capipe on Nov 22, 11 10:17 PM
FANTASTIC game! lasted a long time and enjoyed every minute of it. I haven't bought a CE game in a while and I'm glad I did this time. I promise you tht this game is worth every penny, and it's good enough to play more than once.

karica
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by karica on Nov 25, 11 1:10 PM
Playing demo took me 50 min...so not going to buy a game that will only last 2-3 hours.

cleep100
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by cleep100 on Nov 25, 11 9:01 PM
This game has amazing graphics and animation. They even have some live actors in a couple of scenes, made to look animated. Very cool.

Some of the puzzles were too much for me, but luckily the skip button becomes available quite quickly. The hint button also refills fast.

What I didn't like as much were the way inventory items were used. They weren't always logical or something you'd ever think of doing. Because of that, I had to rely on the Hint button quite a bit to figure out where to use what. Not intuitive enough in that regard.

Still, it's a gorgeous game with cut-scenes you haven't seen a hundred times before and very well-written dialog.

I enjoyed it.

Go to: