ros13
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

Re:Post any Mystery Case Files:Escape from Ravenhearst Collector's Edition technical issues here

[Post New]by ros13 on Nov 23, 11 9:09 AM
Wouldn't it be possible to bring out a simplified version which did not have all the fancy graphics but retained the same storyline, puzzles, etc? This would allow those of us with older systems and graphic cards to at least be able to share in some of the enjoyment of the game. Some of us older members do not have the technical ability or spare cash to buy and instal "extras" for our comps. but we are still keen gamers and would miss this hobby if advances in technology meant we could no longer participate in it.

bfgHondo
Manatee
Manatee
3,712 Posts

Re:Post any Mystery Case Files:Escape from Ravenhearst Collector's Edition technical issues

[Post New]by bfgHondo on Nov 23, 11 9:17 AM
Hi everyone,

Thank you for letting us know about the technical issues you're experiencing. We want you all to be able to enjoy this game, so here are a few tips based on what's been reported so far:

-In order to display this game as it was intended, please be sure that your system's screen resolution is set to 1024x768 or higher.

-If your display is off centered, please check and adjust, if necessary, your DPI settings. For those seeing a black bar on the right edge of the screen, you may also want to use auto-adjust while your game is running. (This is a menu option on your monitor.)

-This game is our biggest and most intense offering so far. As such, a graphics card with 128MB of video RAM is recommended for best performance.

-If you have a video card the meets or exceeds these requirements are are still experiencing sluggish performance, please check to see if there are any available driver updates. (A few of you have already posted that this did the trick!)

The following help article has steps to help with these adjustments.

Mystery Case Files: Escape from Ravenhearst System Requirements

If you're experiencing any other issues, or if you need further assistance with any of the above suggestions, please don't hesitate to contact our fantastic Tech Support team.

Hope this helps!

-bfgHondo

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 10:09:34 AM PST

ocmommy09
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

Re:Post any Mystery Case Files:Escape from Ravenhearst Collector's Edition technical issues here

[Post New]by ocmommy09 on Nov 23, 11 9:23 AM
I'm so bummed waited so long for this game and my computer doesn't meet the requirements.

My display memory 98MB and the driver date is 9/20/05

This is my computer at work and I don't think I could ask the IT dept to upgrade my computer so I can play a game on it.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

Re:Post any Mystery Case Files:Escape from Ravenhearst Collector's Edition technical issues

[Post New]by sinshack on Nov 23, 11 9:33 AM
Pepper010 wrote:
heartless500 wrote:I am very sorry to see so many posts in this thread. . .

altho I am no "techie" by any means - I have to wonder if a lot of the grainy/slow/jerky graphics issues arent related to a graphics card not having enough "onboard" dedicated memory??

sure, you may have more than enough system memory, but dedicated graphics memory is different. it is integrated into the graphics card and is JUST for graphics processing - nothing else.

Sad to say it, but an awful lot of "new" machines still only have 64MB of dedicated graphics memory (we have a "new" Toshiba laptop like this) and that just is not going to be enough to run a lot of the game offerings these days. (most are going to recommend at least 128Mb minimum)

I just recently did a big hardware upgrade to my pc and made darn sure my new graphics card (ATI Radeon HD 5670) had GOBS of dedicated graphics memory - 512MB - which is more than enough to run most casual games, and should continue to be enough for a long time to come.

I still run Windows XP Pro, SP3, with DX 9.0c, and this particular game runs flawlessly for me - i attribute that to having the high dedicated memory for the graphics. (by the way - this card only cost me $72 - it is not the fastest, most recent offering out there - those can run into the hundreds of dollars - but it is plenty for my purposes)

I am not implying that this is the issue for everyone that is experiencing problems, just offering my point of view and a possible explanation...
I sincerely hope that the problems being experienced get sorted out for everyone!

ps: anyone that would like more info on where to get a newer card - send me a pm!

Hey heartless, thanks for the helpful info. However, my new computer exceeds all the game's requirements and it doesn't play right.

Others with new or upgraded computers that meet or exceed requirements also are having problems.

Pepper, have you run DxDiag and checked the date on your video driver? The type of problem you have is usually associatd with an outdate (usually over 4 months old) video driver. If you are still having problems, click the green envelope and start working with a Curstomer Suppert tech - they can only help individual gamers that way. They can't diagnose your problem through your post.

Re:Post any Mystery Case Files:Escape from Ravenhearst Collector's Edition technical issues he

[Post New]by Jacoban55 on Nov 23, 11 9:40 AM
Mr_Russ wrote:
, but I'm wondering if this is simply a graphics card issue (need an update?) or what?
Usually, yes. That's the sort of problem I'd associate with an onboard graphics chip on a laptop. If you have a card, you should try updating your drivers.

Thanks, Mr._Russ...will do. But not a laptop, a desktop - Dell XP Home Edition. I checked, and whoo boy! do I need to update. I currently have the Radeon AMD X300 128MB Highsomethingorother and when I went to update it from the ATI site, I had to get the Catalyst Software Suite. However, it wasn't compatible with Windows...or didn't have the MS Windows Logo compatibility so I didn't download it. Don't wanna jack up my compy. So now I'm searching for something else...? Got a direction for me? Maybe? :o)

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Nov 23, 11 9:45 AM
sinshack wrote:
Pepper010 wrote:
heartless500 wrote:I am very sorry to see so many posts in this thread. . .

altho I am no "techie" by any means - I have to wonder if a lot of the grainy/slow/jerky graphics issues arent related to a graphics card not having enough "onboard" dedicated memory??

sure, you may have more than enough system memory, but dedicated graphics memory is different. it is integrated into the graphics card and is JUST for graphics processing - nothing else.

Sad to say it, but an awful lot of "new" machines still only have 64MB of dedicated graphics memory (we have a "new" Toshiba laptop like this) and that just is not going to be enough to run a lot of the game offerings these days. (most are going to recommend at least 128Mb minimum)

I just recently did a big hardware upgrade to my pc and made darn sure my new graphics card (ATI Radeon HD 5670) had GOBS of dedicated graphics memory - 512MB - which is more than enough to run most casual games, and should continue to be enough for a long time to come.

I still run Windows XP Pro, SP3, with DX 9.0c, and this particular game runs flawlessly for me - i attribute that to having the high dedicated memory for the graphics. (by the way - this card only cost me $72 - it is not the fastest, most recent offering out there - those can run into the hundreds of dollars - but it is plenty for my purposes)

I am not implying that this is the issue for everyone that is experiencing problems, just offering my point of view and a possible explanation...
I sincerely hope that the problems being experienced get sorted out for everyone!

ps: anyone that would like more info on where to get a newer card - send me a pm!

Hey heartless, thanks for the helpful info. However, my new computer exceeds all the game's requirements and it doesn't play right.

Others with new or upgraded computers that meet or exceed requirements also are having problems.

Pepper, have you run DxDiag and checked the date on your video driver? The type of problem you have is usually associatd with an outdate (usually over 4 months old) video driver. If you are still having problems, click the green envelope and start working with a Curstomer Suppert tech - they can only help individual gamers that way. They can't diagnose your problem through your post.

Thanks again, Shack, but as I noted in my reply in the other thread, I know all about the green envelope.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Nov 23, 11 9:53 AM
To be fair, I want to share this information. Although I have a new computer, and thought that I had updated everything on top of the newness, it turns out that they had issued a driver update within the last 3 weeks.

So I grabbed that update and the jerky, etc. problems are now fixed. However, I'd also note, in fairness, that to release a game that's so sensitive that 3-week-old drivers in a high-end gaming computer won't work pretty much guarantees problems for the average user.

I think the problems are now fixed for high definition play too. However, I only had 4 minutes left to check it all out.

My suggestion to BFG: when you put out a game that's getting a high volume of problems, give customers an additional 10 minutes or so to verify all fixes have achieved their goals. When the game runs slow and jerky, you eat up trial time. And when you then install anything new, you're bound to wind up with almost no time to make purchase decisions.

I've always loved the MCF series (well, except for Madama Fate, sorry). However, now I have to decide if I want to buy a game that's all about morphing objects, which is a topic best suited for another thread.

Heartless, again, thanks for your recommendations. I woulda thunked that verifying "newness" of everything less than a month before game release would have been good standard practice and make everything ready for the game. Sigh.

Is it possible that in the future, these big games could list which driver is required for which graphics card? That would help a lot, just as the other specs do.

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 9:55:52 AM PST

Vickiec
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by Vickiec on Nov 23, 11 9:53 AM
The game downloded just fine, clicked options unclicked HD and went to hardwear cursor then start (did this on my 3rd reboot ) then play, got the diary and saw the morphing Blackpool to slackpool and clicked on that and THAT is where my game frezzes. I am so stressed just trying to play this game that it just may not be worth it . I don't think it is the size of game cause I just played a 1.2 G game earlier this week and it ran so smooth, I love Ravenhearst games and I want to play this game but that just might not happen. I AM NOT A HAPPY PERSON RIGHT NOW, if anyone has any answers please pm me or just write it here . thanks

RasmusB
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

Re:Post any Mystery Case Files:Escape from Ravenhearst Collector's Edition technical issues he

[Post New]by RasmusB on Nov 23, 11 9:58 AM
It might help to defragment your system, if you like me, have lag problems on screen. I have 2 systems and one them, with a inferior gfx card to the one, i have problems with, the game runs smoothly. I have just defrag'ged the other rig, and will install the game again (on this system) to see if the problem persists with lag.

EDIT:
It didn't help. I don't know why it still lags on my Alienware laptop and not on my Medion Desktop they both have 8 gigs of RAM. I think I'll contact support.

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 10:39:19 AM PST

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Nov 23, 11 10:02 AM
I know what you mean, Pepper. I just got my replacement computer 2-1/2 weeks ago, updated the video driver then, and went to the Dell website a few days ago and found a newer update. Then I noticed one of the posts in this thread mentioned the same video card I have, ATI Radon 4200, and that fishie mentioned a newer update than I had just uploaded from Dell.

I went to the video card manufcturer's website and found that a new driver was released 10/25/11. I installed that one this morning while I am waiting for my download to complete (that's another whole issue - the replacement computer did not come with the proper wireless adapter, so my downloads are snail-speed.)

SO if anyone is having problems, please check and re-check your video drivers. Just because you got your computer 2 weeks ago does not mean that you have the latest driver!! And go to the video card manufacturer's site, because your computer manufacturer may not update THEIR list of drivers often enough - I know Dell sure doesn't!

Laura29
Clownfish
Clownfish
833 Posts

[Post New]by Laura29 on Nov 23, 11 10:08 AM
I got an access violation and the game shut down when I entered the lighthouse the second time, then after I listened to the intercom message on the facade of Blackpool hospital the game stopped responding and I had to use Task Manager to get out of it. Not a real big deal; I can get right back into the game, but it is kind of unnerving, afraid it will have dumped my progress thus far.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Nov 23, 11 10:08 AM
sinshack wrote:I know what you mean, Pepper. I just got my replacement computer 2-1/2 weeks ago, updated the video driver then, and went to the Dell website a few days ago and found a newer update. Then I noticed one of the posts in this thread mentioned the same video card I have, ATI Radon 4200, and that fishie mentioned a newer update than I had just uploaded from Dell.

I went to the video card manufcturer's website and found that a new driver was released 10/25/11. I installed that one this morning while I am waiting for my download to complete (that's another whole issue - the replacement computer did not come with the proper wireless adapter, so my downloads are snail-speed.)

SO if anyone is having problems, please check and re-check your video drivers. Just because you got your computer 2 weeks ago does not mean that you have the latest driver!! And go to the video card manufacturer's site, because your computer manufacturer may not update THEIR list of drivers often enough - I know Dell sure doesn't!

Good advice, Shack. I went straight to Nvidia after I ran dxdiag and saw that my driver wasn't pop-tart fresh!

I had a Dell. I now have an HP and am much happier. I have a Dell wireless printer and it's so tempermental that I spend a lot of time fiddling with it. Right now it will only copy, refuses to print. Rant, rant.

If you're shopping, check out HP.

akup
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

Re:Post any Mystery Case Files:Escape from Ravenhearst Collector's Edition technical issues h

[Post New]by akup on Nov 23, 11 10:11 AM
skr041300 wrote:
AeronAoife wrote:On my widescreen, the game screen is all the way to the left leaving about a 3" black strip on the right side of the screen. I wouldn't mind if the strip was on both sides but just on one side?

I have the same problem. In addition, the game goes below the bottom of my screen, so I can't see the inventory. Any advice? I can't play the game as it is.

skr041300,

I had some issues when I was playing another older MCF game that sounds similar to your issue. I have a 22" widescreen Viewsonic bought earlier this year...anywho I finally figured out my problem, I like my desktop to be bigger (I'm over 40), that was causing the game to show up all crazy...In Windows 7 you right click on your desktop, click on 'View' choose then choose small, med or lg Icons. I hope that helps you out...sorry if you have already resolved your issue or if the post is redundant.

bee4u
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by bee4u on Nov 23, 11 10:21 AM
O.K. I'm now trying to install this game again. Demo ran a little slow at times like around the diary and inventory. My fingers are crossed that it will finally install and that one of these days soon, BF will let us know that they have the kinks worked out. Did anyone beta this?

[Post New]by SueGale on Nov 23, 11 10:23 AM
Like others here, my desktop is a gaming computer which exceeds the minimum requirements by quite a bit and the game was running very slow and sluggish. It reminded me of bad FPS issues in the MMOs I play ... missing frames of animation as the leaves didn't drift down but were at the top, then lag and they were in the middle then more lag and they were at the bottom. I disable high res and still had the issue.

So I upgraded my video drivers and that fixed the issue. Game is running smooth as silk now with high res turned back on. Thanks for the heads up on that!!

[Post New]by GEORGIAGIRL_MEJ on Nov 23, 11 10:23 AM
I just wanted to say that if you are having trouble, don't hesitate to contact tech support. If you are a game club member you can do a live chat and it is worth the price of admission. I'm having problems (worse than some I've seen posted) but they are working on it. They have been very nice and I feel they are doing everything to identify and fix my issue. I'm not a mod, just a fish in the pond with this public service announcement.

[Post New]by adelaidedoglet on Nov 23, 11 10:26 AM
I have a small (13.3) laptop, with a 1.6 speed processor and a 128 graphics memory and I am having no problems at all playing this game. I would normally buy a game in this series without trialing, but because I did not meet the processor specs I did try it first, and it is playing flawlessly. I'm not sure what the difference between mine and some of the larger more powerful computers with problems, but just wanted to put my two cents in that if you do not think you have the specs, try anyway, you might be pleasantly surprised.

govols2
Shark
Shark
11,575 Posts

[Post New]by govols2 on Nov 23, 11 10:34 AM
This is a minor problem but it is driving me buggy. Game plays fine after I updated my card...except for one time freezing and locking up. My little problem is that I can't get to the strategy guide. Entire screen if filled and I can just make out the journal at bottom left and I know the menu is just below it even though I can't see it. I know the SG is around there as I found it once accidentally but I can't see it. Anyone have suggestions on how I can get to it ?

[Post New]by Mountaindog on Nov 23, 11 10:45 AM
If you are having trouble with the screen being off to the side try hitting the auto adjust button on your monitor while the game is running. This solution was suggested by tech support and worked for me. I's SOOOOOOOOO happy!!

Dialogue
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by Dialogue on Nov 23, 11 10:59 AM
heartless500 wrote:

Heartless500,

Your machine almost mirrors mine except I have an Nvidia 7600 with 512 MB of graphics memory. I upgraded a few years ago because my desktop was not powerful enough to play games like Oblivion and other graphic intensive games with a lot a fast movement. The only problem I had was that the case journal would sometimes take a little while to open.

I can see from the forums that even the new Big Fish games will need more memory than 64 MB of graphic memory to play. Too bad because there are many people who can't afford a new comuter and their computers may not be upgradable. Big Fish still has a lot of games that are playable but I'm afraid the newer ones may become more difficult to play on older machines.

Go to: