mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

Re:Comments for Mystery Case Files: Escape From Ravenhearst CE

[Post New]by mhatfie on Nov 23, 11 7:04 AM
Wow an early Thanksgiving present. I Love this game. OMG.

In the first scene there were only 4 morphing objects and they were easy to spot. At least the locket tells you how many to find in each scene. It's refreshing to have a game that doesn't go from one H0 scene to another. Will have to see later in the game if looking for morphing objects becomes tedious instead of fun. So far, the graphics are great. Great ambiant sounds. Totally creepy. Fantastic game.

This may be the best Ravenhearst yet !? thank you Big Fish for giving it to us today............. I think. Won't get much cooking done for tomorrow, (we may have to order pizza). cause I'm not moving from this chair. lol.

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 7:05:31 AM PST

BadWhippet
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by BadWhippet on Nov 23, 11 7:13 AM
Thank you BFG!!!! Oh MY WORD - a new MCF!!!

I love the morphing objects. I've started finding hidden-object games a tad dull. Morphing objects is indeed a fresh new twist and it fits better with the story format for me. Having the morphing objects we can instead enjoy the eerie scenery a lot more without staring looking for pixels. The game IS tricky though (which is what I love most about MCF games). Embarrassingly, and as a veteran player of the whole MCF series - I'm STILL not inside the gates after an hour!!! *weep* I wanted to try this one without clicking the Strategy Guide, still trying, but I'm stuck already!

My computer is ooooold! A Vista 5yrs-old workhorse, but it plays this game with aplomb. The only cursor slow-down I experience is after minimising the game like just now (to type here). It passes quickly on returning to the game and is something I experience in other games where I have a ton of other applications open.

And yes, for me too, it downloaded in a tiny few minutes (and my net connection is poor).

Now back to walking back and forth along the Ravenhearst cliff hoping some lost tourist will walk by with a hint!

Tailteann
Clownfish
Clownfish
584 Posts

[Post New]by Tailteann on Nov 23, 11 7:21 AM
cottoncandy2 wrote:I was SO intrigued by their warning I almost bought it without even trying the demo. I love this series.

It seriously has The Best Warning EVER!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 23, 11 7:22 AM
Well, what a super great game.

Widescreen works for a change.

Voice-over is nicely done.

Gameplay is intriguing and different.

And has anyone noticed - there are NO sparkles for those of you who love playing a game without seeing them.

I love the reason for those 2 tabs in the journal. Gives it a little extra.

Just been to my very first HOS (hidden object scene) - what fun that one was. So different from the usual.

Really enjoying this game. It's not so much a MOG, but an adventure game with MOSs and a couple of HOS thrown into it.

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Nov 23, 11 7:26 AM
Valdy wrote:
MargieB wrote:The answer to your question is in my post above. Don't want to spoil it for anyone You can PM me if you need further details.

MargieB

Sorry, can't see it. Must be blind. LOL Will PM you.

I must be blind too Valdy, 'cause there is nothing about the journal in any of her posts

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Nov 23, 11 7:50 AM
What are the 2 tabs for?

bri_rose1978
Minnow
Minnow
215 Posts

[Post New]by bri_rose1978 on Nov 23, 11 7:54 AM
Well, just got through it.

I have to say, BFG, you have OUTDONE yourselves with this game. I'm going to have to go through and play it again in order to finish the tabs in the journal (figured out a bit late what they were for and as a result missed one on the first one and about... three I think on the second one). I have to admit, that was pretty cool, involving the casebook like that!

I did wonder though, when I finished... no extra content? Or did I miss the menu option for that? Or do I have to finish both tabs in the casebook in order to get to it? If so, I will DEFINITELY be playing it again; I want to see if there's anything else!

Overall, loved it. Did have a problem in a few cases with the cursor lagging a bit, and sometimes the transition to other scenes (or to the casebook) took several seconds, which was irritating, but not enough to make me want to stop playing. So, if someone could just let me know if there is any extra content... *looks around hopefully*

slepless777
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by slepless777 on Nov 23, 11 8:00 AM
OMG This game is so twisted and GROSS!! I totally love it!!

It's really not for the weak-stomached, I'll tell you that much. lol

Anyway, I have been playing for HOURS and I don't think I'm even half-way through yet. I just made it to the asylum and I decided to take a break until tomorrow. Thank goodness for the strategy guide too, I was so stuck a couple of times.

I really like the morphing objects in lieu of hidden object scenes. It's a nice change and ooooh boy! are some of those morphing things hard to spot, but I got them all so far, no hints needed. Yay, me.

The only problems I had is that I got access violations a couple of times that booted me out of the game. Thankfully when I went back in my progress my saved so, even though it was irritating, I didn't mind too much.

AWESOME GAME!!! Dire Grove is still my all time fave, but this one is really, really incredible. Well done, BFG!!!

moonladydi
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,113 Posts

[Post New]by moonladydi on Nov 23, 11 8:02 AM
Too much hard work. 12 morphing objects to find in a scene, TWELVE. The last two are nearly impossible, and I have to resort to the Hint button. As for the rest of the game, I'm spending all my time trying to figure out where to go next, even WITH the SG, which I seem to be using 80% of the time. The graphics are beautiful, but the game is no Fun.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 23, 11 8:03 AM
bri_rose1978 wrote:So, if someone could just let me know if there is any extra content... *looks around hopefully*

I think there is no bonus game. When you go through the SG, you see a diamond on different pages. Those are the parts that are the extra playtime you only get in the CE, and which won't appear in the SE. Was that what you were asking?

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Nov 23, 11 8:06 AM
I have the first Ravenhearst game with hidden objects. I really enjoyed that game. Then every other developer figured if we liked the Mystery games, we would like their games too. So the world of hidden object games was born and I was so sick of them by then, I was ready to puke. This game id different and that's really a nice thing to see. Finally someone changed the status quo. The thing about this game that I don't like ,is the finding of morphing objects because they're very hard to find and it's hard on the eyes after awhile. I probably won't buy this game because of that. I am waiting for all the developers to realize allot of us gamers are tired of hidden object games and they will go back to adventure games without all this hidden stuff. I have all the adventure games from BF save for a few that had crappy S/Ls. So developers I hope you listen to us and go back to plain lovable adventure games.

[Post New]by Gabbyellen on Nov 23, 11 8:13 AM
I've loved all the previous MCF games...this one is simply boring, tiresome and annoying!

onelifesdream
Flounder
Flounder
2,271 Posts

[Post New]by onelifesdream on Nov 23, 11 8:16 AM
Played demo through and not sure if it's worth the CE price just yet. Great warning, but none of it applied to the demo, for me anyway. I think the locket that shoots the lightning at the objects kiddifies it for me if that makes any sense to anyone. (I'm aware kiddify isn't a real word, but that's what came out my fingers to keyboard, )

MO scenes are exactly the same each time you play them so that is a huge turn off for me because it lacks replay value there. (I know because I played it on both laptops to make sure it would run)

As far as I can tell, there are no achievements/trophies/rewards and those definitely encourage me to purchase a CE along with extended bonus play and depends on how much longer it is and if it adds to story or not or is literally "bonus" play. I really don't like it when it takes away from those that buy the SE and don't get a completed game because of a story adaptation that hints to the next game or something.

It just feels like it's lacking something to me, and right now, I will just wait to see what others have to say about the length of game and if it's worth it or not. I have to add that the video at the end of the demo, that is a "Preview" like a movie kind of spoiled a few things for me and that irks me too. I don't want to know what is coming up, so I looked away once I realized it was showing TOO MUCH! I wish they made that an option to view if you wanted to. I don't like spoilers.

~Dream

Eta: (clarifiy end of demo and not end of game)

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 8:18:30 AM PST

grouchypants
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by grouchypants on Nov 23, 11 8:20 AM
Im also on the fence with this game. I love these games,but the morphing objects were kinda had to take. Im sure Im going to get it,but might take me till next year when maybe a new another one comes out.When I was finished with the demo,went to made breakfast and everything in my kitchen was morphing..lol..Im laughting but kinda serious also, Im a little worried about it.. But Im going to buy this game and just play a little at a time,not spend hours at a time .Might have been nice if given a choice from morph to words.Happy Gaming and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone !!!

bri_rose1978
Minnow
Minnow
215 Posts

[Post New]by bri_rose1978 on Nov 23, 11 8:20 AM
Valdy wrote:
bri_rose1978 wrote:So, if someone could just let me know if there is any extra content... *looks around hopefully*

I think there is no bonus game. When you go through the SG, you see a diamond on different pages. Those are the parts that are the extra playtime you only get in the CE, and which won't appear in the SE. Was that what you were asking?

Yes it was; and I figured that was the case, but I wanted to be sure, so I thought I'd better ask.

I do want to replay and see if anything happens as a result of getting the tabs in the casebook completed regardless; hope I can figure it out next time.

sandr1
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by sandr1 on Nov 23, 11 8:22 AM
Bought it even though it does not work on my pc, went to neighbour's pc and dl it and played through the whole thing. The BEST BEST BEST and BEST game ever. Zillion million thanks to the development team, what a masterpiece!!

Happy thanksgiving to everybody.

[Post New]by raynestormrn on Nov 23, 11 8:28 AM
just got home from work, have only a couple minutes to kill before going to bed, but it was an instant buy for me, not even demoing it. I love mystery case files, especially everything since return to ravenshearst. will do a review after, but i'm sure i'll love it.

mehebert
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by mehebert on Nov 23, 11 8:31 AM
I downloaded and played the game and liked it. I love morphing items but this could turn out to be over kill, LOL. I also love HOS and heard there are only 2?
I love the story but the SG has no direction that I can see, only pictures of the scenes. I prefer the SG to have some instructions as well. I have the first 2 games and loved them. I was excited to see this one come out. Will probably buy this after the first of the month. My only wish is that there were more HOS in the game.

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Nov 23, 11 8:31 AM
Well...I bought this game outright and didn't demo it. It took a while to DL and activate, but it is playing beautifully.

The sounds, music, voices and graphics are wonderful - as usual with the MCF games! There have been a couple of times when I was startled!!

Re the MOS, I do like them as H0 scenes do get a bit tiresome after playing games for a long while. I don't find the MOS to be too difficult...I don't always wait til I see something morph...I just click on what seems a likely object to morph and have found most that way. I don't think we have to click as they are morphing. I have used the hint button a couple of times on the last object so I can get on with the game (won't do this when I replay it!). The SG is a bit different also...no real text, just game shots with items circled as far as I can tell. This is helpful, but one also has to remember where they needed the object they collect. No hand-holding in this game!

For me, this game will take quite a while to finish but I don't intend to rush through it...I love looking at the "scenery" and listening to the voices (with the speakers...not in my head!) as I read the dialog. I like the references to previous MCF games.

About the only thing I don't like is the inventory seems a bit "jerky" and I like to see the whole inventory without having to "arrow" to either end to see what is there.

Overall, this is nearly a perfect game and look forward to continuing it! Thank you BFG!!!

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Nov 23, 11 8:32 AM
MargieB wrote:Good Morning Everyone.

Terrible storm here in Maryland, can't sleep

Just wanted to state a few facts about the Morphing Object Scenes (MOS).

You only visit each MOS once; at the end of that you will be prompted to pick up on inventory items. Also, be on the lookout for other ways to interact with that scene.

ETA: If you click randomly on the screen too many times, a previously found morphing object will return to the scene and must be removed twice. (Forgot about this feature until Imby mentioned it ).

In my opinion there are very few MOS throughout the whole game. Maybe 3 to 6 per chapter, if memory serves me well.

Be on the lookout for morphing objects in other areas. Will not post spoilers here, will let you find on your own.

There are 1 or 2 regular Hidden Object Scenes (HOS) in the game (I believe) and they are only visited once as well.

I thought the MOS instead of HOS was a fresh twist. I liked it because as far as I can remember it has never been done before.

Enjoy the game everyone!

MargieB

MOS = fresh twist, ok, but liking it only because it has never been done before?
Very few MOS = 3 to 6 per chapter? And only 1 or 2 HOS in the entire game Thanks for that info. Would like to continue the adventure, but not sure that many
MOS scenes are worth it.

Go to: