lindiana
Guppy
Guppy
144 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Parables: Rise of the Snow Queen Collector's Edition

[Post New]by lindiana on Dec 3, 11 3:47 PM
I really was looking forward to playing the trial of this game but it was disappointing.

I'm not a big HOG fan but I do enjoy ones with a good story line. The story line on this one was great but I played the Easy level and perhaps that was my mistake because for all the HOG scenes instead of getting a list of what to find, I got pictures. I didn't like that at all so I ended up quitting and not purchasing the game.

hrslvr_paints
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,224 Posts

[Post New]by hrslvr_paints on Dec 3, 11 4:00 PM
lindiana wrote:I really was looking forward to playing the trial of this game but it was disappointing.

I'm not a big HOG fan but I do enjoy ones with a good story line. The story line on this one was great but I played the Easy level and perhaps that was my mistake because for all the HOG scenes instead of getting a list of what to find, I got pictures. I didn't like that at all so I ended up quitting and not purchasing the game.

In the Dark Parables games it's always pictures of the fragments in the H0S. IMO it would be rather difficult to do a FROG with a list of fragment names over a set of object pieces.

irishgreen
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by irishgreen on Dec 3, 11 4:36 PM
Just finished the game and saving the bonus for tomorrow.
Absolutely a beautiful game (love blue tea) and enjoyed every minute of it -took my time so it probably was at least 6 hours or so and did have to use 2 hints on the FROG scenes.
Love the graphics and the voice overs were done very well. I enjoyed the music and just kept it low for background music.
Not sorry at all for buying the CE (I don't usually buy except the CE sale) but couldn't wait to play and I had credits built up.
Fantastic game.

Valdy--I am thinking the next game reminded me of Little Red Riding Hood. Could be wrong.

edit for whiting out message

Edited on 12/03/2011 at 4:44:54 PM PST

Grimhild
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by Grimhild on Dec 3, 11 7:16 PM
Love this game! Beautiful graphics; Dark Parables' FROGs make me feel like I'm restoring art rather than picking through a trash bin (like other games do). Good story line; the three installments of Dark Parables feed into one another but can be played individually without feeling you've missed something. I even like the music and I didn't mute it--ususally I turn the music off before I'm five minutes into the game because it annoys me. Plenty of locations. I like the morphing/cursed objects which, because they usually don't show up until you've entered the location twice, can be challenging to find.

But "challenging" brings me to one thing I wasn't impressed with--the mini-games, although a delight to the eye, were too easy, even for me and I usually have to skip or use the guide to play them through. The other thing I didn't like is that this game mimicks the two previous releases as far as taking place in one area with mulitple locations. I was hoping that, like in Andersen's tale, I'd get to travel in search of Kai and Gerda and the Snow Queen, which would lead to more choices of location when the developers write the next installment. If Blue Tea uses the same formula in the fourth Dark Parables game, I'm going to be very disappointed.

But overall, I'm very happy with my purchase! I got approximately 5 hours of game play for my money, not to mention when I replay all three Dark Parables in turn, as I'm planning to do.

penhaligon
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by penhaligon on Dec 3, 11 9:33 PM
Itsupikachu wrote:It looks like I'm in the minority but I don't care much for this game. I couldn't really get into it. I guess I just prefer games that are more realistic. The graphics are beautiful, the music is nice and the voice-overs are pretty good. I have no complaints about any of that. I would like to see more of a mix of hidden object word lists along with pieces of objects to find, though. I would give this one

I absolutely agree with you on this one. Gorgeous clear graphics, okay music and the story line interesting. However I felt that I was just going from one FROG scene to the next and this was in "difficult' mode. I found the puzzles quite easy. I don't think that either of the 2 subsequent games measure up to "Briar Rose. IMO.

Edited on 12/03/2011 at 9:37:20 PM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 4, 11 2:24 AM
irishgreen wrote:Valdy--I am thinking the next game reminded me of Little Red Riding Hood. Could be wrong.

edit for whiting out message

Thank you, Irishgreen. Really couldn't say which fairy tale that clip was referring to, but we will see when it comes out in, what? a year's time.

ETA: Read the answer in another thread. You were right.

Edited on 12/06/2011 at 1:49:42 AM PST

Seascape6
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Seascape6 on Dec 4, 11 7:48 AM
Beautiful game! I love fairy tale themes and the graphics are gorgeous.

I did find the puzzles in the game easy, but that won't deter me from purchasing. Blue Tea Games are pure eye candy to me, I love their storylines and the music. Morphing objects, gems to find, and stories to unlock are fun features.

I've only played the demo so far but this is a definite buy for me.

[Post New]by archuu on Dec 6, 11 7:25 AM
Its a beautiful game!!! i really enjoyed playing it...voice acting is good the storyline is good......I give i 5/5 for this game...

tomb57
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by tomb57 on Dec 6, 11 1:36 PM
Excellent game. Great graphics, story, voiceovers, sound.
As others mentioned it's FROG game, but can be as challenging as a HOG.
Decent puzzles and fast hints. Skip penalty for hints if you skip a puzzle.
But built in SG negates hints anyway.
Bonus game is a plus when you buy any CE, and this was no exception.
Thanks BFG and Blue Tea games for bringing us another great Dark Parables game!!!
Looking forward to the next one!

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

[Post New]by Beingknown on Dec 7, 11 9:30 PM
Review for Dark Parables: Rise of the Snow Queen

I really found this to be a terrific game. It has bright, colorful graphics, which are beautifully drawn. There are entertaining puzzles and interesting areas to explore. There are morphing “cursed” objects to collect and cards to collect, which I feel add additionally fun elements to the regular game-play.

It also has enjoyable, fairly straightforward mini-games, that I don’t think folks will find frustrating. The hidden object scenes are actually hidden fragments, which I enjoy. I even like the sound track.

There are three levels of difficulty to choose from, so basically something for every challenge level one may want. Over all, a very good game, which is also a stunning visual treat.

I love it.

Edited on 12/07/2011 at 9:38:04 PM PST

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Dec 8, 11 1:07 AM
I can't put this in the same post as my review because I have used up all the post character allowance and so am having to do a separate comment.

Due to the sparkles in the Normal Mode I decided to be brave and have a go at the Hard setting and ... drumroll please ...

For the first time ever I completed a game without any help at all ... no sneaky look at the Strategy Guide, no getting DH to solve a puzzle, no skipping a puzzle and no looking at the map to see where I was.

Thanks Blue Tea, you made my day

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Dec 9, 11 8:24 AM
Blue Tea games is one of my favorite developers and this game confirms why. Beautiful, engaging, fun, amazing... When I play Blue Tea games I never want the games to end. Another stellar experience - this game is a must-have.

kaboobie
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by kaboobie on Dec 13, 11 7:47 AM
I was disappointed that completing the game in normal mode didn't give you a key to access a new location when you play again in hard mode. That was the case with both Briar Rose (the golden rose gets you into the room at the bottom of the well) and The Exiled Prince (the gold crown gets you into Ivy's tomb, which in turn gives you the key to another locked room). There is one locked door in the palace that I expected to be able to open on the second go-round.

I did like the game overall. Blue Tea is definitely one of my favorite developers. But the puzzles were too repetitive, and the game felt smaller than The Exiled Prince in terms of locations. I give it 4 stars out of 5.

Incidentally, The Snow Queen is one of my all-time favorite fairytales. I was a little disappointed this game didn't follow the story more closely, but at least Kai, Gerda, and the mirror were incorporated.

Edited on 12/13/2011 at 8:09:42 AM PST

sionnach_dhu
Herring
Herring
305 Posts

[Post New]by sionnach_dhu on Dec 14, 11 6:54 AM
lindiana wrote:I really was looking forward to playing the trial of this game but it was disappointing.

As someone else commented, that had nothing to do with the difficulty level - that's how all FROGs work. You're putting a particular item back together, not finding a list of random junkpile items - and having the fragments named rather than pictured wouldn't work very well.

For me, having played the other Dark Parables games, this was a CE buy without trying the game - I just checked the forums to make sure the CE content did consist of extended game play and a decent guide before buying.

And I wasn't disappointed - clear and beautiful graphics, a story line which was an interesting re-telling of an old folk tale & which actually made sense, and minigames that were fun and required a bit of thought without being brain-wracking.
I also thoroughly enjoyed keeping an eye out for the morphing objects and the gems which unlocked stories.

If I had any criticism, it would be that the mini-games were a bit repetitious; on the other hand, it made more logical sense in terms of an actual storyline (e.g. that a number of locks in the palace worked in similar fashion).
I was also just a bit annoyed by Gretel in the bonus chapter, but then again that's how the traditional story goes... and it was made up for by the non-traditional Ogre & the lovely Forest Goddess.

All in all, another excellent offering from Blue Tea. :-)

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Dec 18, 11 9:59 PM
Nice story line!! Beautiful graphics... don't know about the music as I always turn it off.
The puzzles weren't difficult, but they were so repetitive that I was very bored and groaned every time I came upon one!! Lots of running around made this game appear longer than it really was, and that is a BIG no-no for me... The bonus game occurred in such a small area, and the game play made me feel like a rat on a wheel, going round and round and round... Never used the SG, kinda wish I'd held out for the CE....

Tomsde
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Tomsde on Dec 19, 11 7:31 PM
There is nothing I can say bad about this game, it was gourgeous to look at and wonderful to play. I wish Blue Tea could release more titles. The animations, music, artwork, and voice overs were flawless. The CE is worth every penny as it gives you a totally new story to play, not just a preview of the next game as has been the case in the past with some ofther CE titles. If you buy only one **** game this month, buy this one, you won't regret it. It has a nice long story that will keep you well entertained for hours; days even.

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Dec 20, 11 4:37 PM
Another fantastic game from Blue Tea. I can become so immersed in their games - they are never dark but magical and intriguing. While I usually get bored at the end with most games that is never the case with Blue Tea games. Amazing all the way through. I'm always sorry to finish!

Liasmani
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
19,504 Posts

[Post New]by Liasmani on Dec 21, 11 2:46 PM
Fun Factor: 5 stars
Visual/Sound Quality: 5 stars
Level of Challenge: 5 stars
Average Rating: 5 stars

Pros: Highly polish visual to match hauntingly melody. Plenty of objects to find. Plenty of puzzles. Excellent voice acting.

Cons: None.

(This review based on the game's demo.)

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Dec 25, 11 5:14 AM
Blue Tea Games has done it again! I love this series. Beautiful graphics! Will definitely be a buy for me!

tazdaffy
Narwhal
Narwhal
30,066 Posts

[Post New]by tazdaffy on Dec 26, 11 1:27 PM
Loved it!! Awesome graphics, story line, voices. The C.E. (which I never buy but with the sale I did) was worth it. Extra game play etc.

Go to: