qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

Re:Reviews for Fear for Sale: Sunnyvale Story Collector's Edition

[Post New]by qpr1 on Jan 13, 12 7:12 AM
it was a ok game for me, the bonus was a fair length. it just did not have that "wow" factor for me!

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Jan 15, 12 5:39 AM
I really loved this game; the graphics & artwork were excellent, there were good voiceovers with clickable dialogue & melodic music. The scenes filled my widescreen. In the early chapters there are some lovely little touches, click on a leaf & it will blow away or click on a lamp in an office & it will turn on & off; I would like to have seen these extras in the later chapters as they add to the enjoyment.

There are two modes of play, regular with a 1 minute hint recharge, sparkles & glints to give you clues where to go next. The expert mode only has sparkles for the hidden object scenes & a 2 minute hint.

You get a diary & you really need to read this as it gives you directions where to go next & also fleshes out the storyline a lot. There are a lot of areas to play in the game & although there is no map it is not so hard to become oriented although the going back & forth can get a little tedious.

The hidden object scenes are well drawn & have interactive items to play with; some of the items are well hidden; a few were rather like junk piles but most were not. The mini games were fun to play & had varying degrees of difficulty.

The storyline was good & there were a few twists to add interest; all in all a great game to play. You do not need to get the Collector’s Edition to get a proper ending although the CE does augment the final chapter. It only took me 40 minutes to play the bonus chapter so I’m glad I was able to get this in a sale as I would not have wanted to play full price.

aperry423
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by aperry423 on Jan 15, 12 9:21 AM
This is a good, solid murder mystery with unexpected plot twists. I liked it, but was disappointed with how abruptly it ended. To me, it was anticlimactic. That being said, I thought it was a good story overall, and actually more entertaining than the previous "Fear for Sale."

tomb57
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by tomb57 on Jan 19, 12 3:19 PM
Very decent game, good story line, graphics and sound track/voiceovers.
HOScenes are good with objects not too hard to see.
Puzzles are good, and not too diabolical, but can skip if you want.
Bonus game makes for a nice finish to the story.
Oddly enough, the strategy guide is not much use because it does not cover all levels.
But, fortunately, the hint system negates even needing a SG.
Overall worth it as a CE, just for the added Bonus game.
Games from this developer have always been good in the past, so I bought it without trying the demo, glad I did.
Thanks BFG!!!

oscar66
Herring
Herring
307 Posts

[Post New]by oscar66 on Jan 24, 12 8:41 PM
I couldn't finish this game quick enough. For me it was not engaging at all. When I start using hints willy-nilly because I can't be bothered to look I know I'm in for a tedious haul. I kept hoping it would get better. I thought the story was dull and the rooms and atmosphere under-utilized.

blujeens
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by blujeens on Mar 1, 12 7:19 PM
OK, here's my review of Fear for Sale: Sunnyvale Story CE:

Options: Offered were Music, Sound, Voice, Full Screen, Wide Screen, Custom Cursor. Games modes were Regular & Expert, but there were sparkles on Expert for the HOGs. After the main game is completed, you have the Bonus game, Music (which is not downloadable - why??), Cencept Art, Wallpaper & Screensaver.

Graphics: Graphics were not anything to rave about - expecially in the HOGs - but the game isn't as dark as others for those who like more color. The cutscenes were a lot to be desired.

Voice/Sound/Music: Voice-overs were good, sounds were good, and the music was quite good IMHO, but I'm really upset that I didn't get to download it.

Minis/HOGs: I only took a couple quick glances at the SG due to a couple of the puzzles being a little harder than what I could muster in the evening hours (maybe a bit too tired sometimes & I should have refrained) but I did like that the SG stayed where I last left it.

Game Overall: After reading some of the opinions & reviews, I,too, am in the category of "What just happened?" One gamer says there's a proper ending if players just want to buy the SE, but I didn't feel that way at all. In fact, I was very disappointed in the ending, and I insist on good story lines. The CE bonus game has a much better ending, but the Catch-22 is that the story just didn't do it for me as far as price for a CE is concerned. In fact, I walked away with more questions on this one that didn't get answered than most of the many games that I've played in the past. Also, I look at everything, but this game seemed a little short, maybe 4 hours for me, altho the bonus game was close to another hour.

Recommendation: Because this game deals with deadly revenge, it may not be good for little fishes. If you want a proper ending, get the CE, but you may not feel satisfied if you're looking for a good story.

Out of 5 stars, I give this one

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Apr 18, 12 2:13 PM
This was a very good game. The graphics were clear and colorful, and the game play was smooth, although not particularly challenging on the difficult mode. There seemed to be a good balance between adventure elements and hidden object scenes, but there were fewer puzzles than other games of this type. The story was somewhat convoluted, and was a bit more involved than some other similar games. The length was pretty good, with a decent bonus game. As with so many other games like this, it was developed with standard frame versus widescreen graphics, so it could have been much better with true widescreen graphics.

Overall though, an enjoyable and well-made game.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jul 30, 12 7:36 AM
this is a great game and it has a good story line. the plot is different than the usual.--------doug & lisa

Seester2
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by Seester2 on Sep 30, 12 5:07 PM
Pretty good game...interesting plot. Graphics were pretty good, even thought the figures were a bit jerky. Mini games and Hidden Object scenes were above average. Bonus chapter a fair length. Overall length of the game was good.
I give it a 7 out of a 10.

Go to: