crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Past: Realm of Ghosts Collector's Edition

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Jan 6, 12 12:28 PM
I just finished playing the complete game and I loved every minute of it! I love the setting (always love creepy settings, I admit!), and the "ghost realm" aspect was terrific. Also, the "area cleared" labels save a lot of time and is ver welcome. (I would swear I've seen something like it in another game but can't think of it)

The bonus chapter was good and hinted at a sequel. I hope that the devs follow through with that and actually give us a sequel with the same "ghost realm" concept.

I thought the SG was excellent, listing steps you need to take and putting check marks by ones you have done. I found the SG one of the most helpful I have seen (ranks up there with "Haunted Halls: Green Hills Sanitarium", which has an excellent SG)

I highly recommend this game. The story does come to an end and the bonus chapter is a new story, so if you don't want the CE you won't have an incomplete story getting the SE.

lindiana
Guppy
Guppy
144 Posts

[Post New]by lindiana on Jan 9, 12 3:24 PM
As usual I played on Casual level and I thoroughly enjoyed the game.

The quick filling Hint button and the Area Cleared notices were a great help. I never had to use the included Strategy Guide at all.

I did have a few technical problems with some kind of C Drive notice popping up in the background but I worked my way around them.

It took me a few hours to complete plus the bonus level included with the CE took me about another hour so I thought it was worth the money.

I liked the concept. It was different than most HOGs.

I thought the CE was worth the price for the bonus level which is included.

Great game!

Edited on 01/09/2012 at 3:30:07 PM PST

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Jan 12, 12 6:19 PM
the game starts off VERY dark and then introduces well lit areas
great game
great graphics when u can see them
awesome story
awesome game play
h.o. games are very good
SO SO GLAD i bought the C.E. edition

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Jan 15, 12 9:36 AM
i very much enjoyed this game, it was DIFFERENT! the soundtrack was appropriatethe level of difficulty just right. graphics clear and as i bought it in the sale i am happy!!

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Jan 21, 12 7:26 PM
Well, I really wish I would have saved my $$ to wait for the regular game to come out!!!!! I thought this game was ok. I didnt like going back & forth thru the mirrors constantly. I did like how it would let you know if the area was all cleared. Save your $$ & buy the regular edition. Not worth the CE price! YIKES!

tazdaffy
Narwhal
Narwhal
30,066 Posts

[Post New]by tazdaffy on Jan 22, 12 5:25 PM
I am so happy that this game finally came out. I beta tested this game back in August 2011 & have patiently waited for it. I thought the graphics were awesome. I purchased it during the CE sale in December 2011 & have never regretted it.

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Feb 25, 12 12:03 AM
I wasn’t very impressed; this is an OK game but is not the best offering I have seen from Gogii games. On the positive side I loved the choices of gameplay; Casual has sparkles, glints & is so easy that you will not need the strategy guide & Advanced has a 90 second hint recharge & no glints but there is a Custom mode which is excellent. You can set how fast/slow you want the hint & skips to recharge, whether you want in game help; basically set it up to your wish. You can change any of the modes within the game without having to restart.

The hidden object scenes have some very well blended items & are not too easy but there are not many mini puzzles to solve & they are very simple. This is not a game that will challenge the brain cells & it is very linear, there is a little backtracking but not enough to need a map.

The voiceovers, ambient sounds & music are good & the graphics are pretty average; you move between the ‘real’ world & a ‘ghost’ world, the ghost world is rather like an overexposed photograph. There are a lot of rooms to explore & Area Cleared will be shown once you have done everything necessary in a room.

The bonus game is an entirely different story to the main game & only took me 40 minutes to complete.

If you want an easy game then this is for you but I would not recommend for someone who prefers there H0s with a slice of adventure.

blujeens
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by blujeens on Feb 26, 12 5:10 PM
Ok, here's my review of Haunted Past: Realm of Ghosts CE:

Options: Casual, Advanced & Custom. For those of you that don't feel comfortable about leaving casual play for advanced, Custom gives you that "in-between" you may be looking for. You can turn off the sparkles, but give yourself a short "skip" for the minis, plus turn on or off the tutorial. Excellent idea! Wallpaper & concept art were available only after the bonus game was finished, and sadly for me, there was no downloaded music which I usually look forward to when I purchase CEs.

Graphics: I would have liked to see more light in the real world, and more darkness in the ghost world, but the graphics were good, tho not outstanding.

Voices/Sounds/Music: Voice-overs were good, sound effects were nothing special, and occasionally the music was quite good. Again no option to download the music in this CE.

Minis/HOGs: The mini-games were not really difficult, altho it did give me the opportunity to check out the SG for a couple spots. The SG was quite different from many others in that the info offered was initially brief, but if you wanted more detail, you could click on the "square" next to the explanation, and it would open to a picture. I'm not sure that some fishes realized what the squares were for so it's a shame there wasn't an explanation on that. The HOGs were not too difficult.

Game Overall: When I was reading the reviews from gamers who had only played the demos, I was thinking this game must be really difficult to comprehend, but after playing the first "hide 'n seek" in the ghost realm, I realized there was no more difficulty in it than playing a mini. I hope that other fishes are not put off by this and give this game a fair try. It also had a banner at the top of the scene that let you know if the area was cleared which I liked - it saves time on whether or not to continue searching. I love exploring every nook and cranny, but I also like knowing if I have anything left in a scene. The only downside for me was the lack of a good story line. Also, altho the main game was not quite as long as some games I've played, it wasn't as short for me as others, plus the bonus game was very long.

Recommendation: Unique ideas for fishes looking for slightly different play - I highly recommend trying the Custom play option.

Out of 5 stars I give this one

Edited on 02/26/2012 at 7:04:32 PM PST

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Apr 26, 12 5:30 PM
This one really grew on me as I went along. The game was not particularly challenging, but I found the storyline to be engaging. The artwork was lovely - while not as colorful as I prefer, it fit the storyline where you are moving back and forth to a ghostly realm. The game was a good length and flowed smoothly. (I loved the "area clear" prompts - very helpful). I did not care for the format of the strategy guide at all - I like to be able to look at the entire guide, not just what is coming up next. I also hated that the wallpapers were locked until the end - I wish developers would quit doing that!! Also, true widescreen graphics would have made the game much better.

Overall, however, it was an excellent game and I look forward to the sequel which was revealed in the bonus section.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 16, 12 5:51 AM

Edited on 06/19/2012 at 5:15:29 AM PST

Seester2
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by Seester2 on Mar 10, 13 4:14 PM
Except for it being a bit creepy, I really liked this game. The journal was a bit too wordy for me (hate having to read a long page of stuff while in the middle of a game), so I didn't refer to the journal much. I still knew what was going on with the game even without it.
I thought the graphics were nice...not as sharp as some, but rich. I loved going back and forth between the 'ghost realm' and the real world. I also like that it told you when an area was cleared so you wouldn't keep going back to it to make sure you were finished. Some of the things to do on each page were hard to find, so you do have to run your cursor over every inch of the screen to make sure you didn't miss anything. If the 'area cleared' sign doesn't appear at the top, you know you missed something!
I like that you didn't have to do the same hidden object scene more than once. Also, there wasn't a long way to go between each scene...the walk between each part was pretty short. Some of the items in the hidden object scenes were very hard to find, so I did have to use the hint button a few times, which I normally do not have to do in a game like this.
Average game play time....it took me about 3 to 4 hours to play through. You could also customize the game for what types of level or features you wanted on or off.
I give this one a 7 out of a 10.

Go to: