Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™

[Post New]by smartvalerie on Jan 7, 12 2:54 PM
Enjoyed this game but had to use the wt a lot on the SE and had waited for it to come to SE. I quite liked the MOS for a change, the hint worked well on them if you couldn't find them. But I thought the last 2 chapters were not up to the same standard as the 1st ones. I don't usually play a game more than once and this one will be no different.

[Post New]by lovesfreedom on Jan 9, 12 12:30 AM
I did enjoy the game, but I have to say, compared to the first 2 Ravenhearst games, it was lacking for me. Maybe I shouldn't compare them huh? I was hoping for something more like the others, which I found more challenging. I always go straight for the collector's editions because I know I won't be happy until I am able to play the bonus section. Like I said, I did enjoy playing it & will recommend it, just don't expect it to be what we have become use to in the Mystery Case Files Ravenhearst Series.

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Jan 10, 12 10:04 AM
I thought the game was fairly good, but the part with MOMMA actually made me feel ill. Clipping nosehairs and popping pimples are very sickening to me. I have all the Ravenhearst games and this is the first I believe regret buying.

beachmama
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by beachmama on Jan 10, 12 3:39 PM
I am sitting at my PC desk playing Escape with my Ipad next to me opened to the walkthrough. I loved the other Ravenhearst games but this one is not what I expected. I'm actually sorry I purchased it.

Yanie1020
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by Yanie1020 on Jan 11, 12 9:55 AM
This could have been one of my favorite games ever. But when you have to keep going back to the walkthrough because you're stuck, it does take a lot away from the game. I've played tons of games on here, so I know how they work & I consider myself above average intelligence. But this game turned out to be very frustrating! I was never able to get very far before I had to "cheat" and go back to the walkthrough. I would much rather be able to figure things out for myself.

As far as being violent & gruesome, that honestly wasn't an issue, but I could see where some people wouldn't like it. I'm a big fan of horror movies and it takes a lot to shock me, so I was never grossed out. Even the maternity room didn't bother me. I guess I'm just weird. :-)

I'm glad I played the game because I did get my money's worth. I would just hope for a few more helpful hints next time.

Qismet
Minnow
Minnow
206 Posts

[Post New]by Qismet on Jan 11, 12 5:48 PM
I know I am late getting to play this game, but wow. Such a mixed bag on reviews and opinions.

I too am very torn regarding this game. Production values were incredible. I expect nothing less than perfection from the MCF family. There has been a lot of complaint regarding the morphing objects. Actually I liked it, but not as a replacement for hidden object scenes. Very creative and brings something new to the genre.

The voiceovers were amazing. Particularly Charles. I am going to have to do some research on this guy and see if I can find out what other stuff he has done. I do love a devilishly evil villlain.

But for all the things I loved there were things I hated. I do not mind a game being difficult, but I don't like one that is so dang hard that it is truly not playable without a walkthrough. And I am not talking about having to check out something here and there, you virtually had to have the walkthrough open for the whole thing. And if that wasn't bad enough, the journal did not keep up with important numbers and pieces of information. I do know that the numbers were randomly generated, but still.

And then there is the hint button. Useless except for the MOS. In a game this complicated it would have been very helpful to have a hint system.

All in all it is a good game. But it does not hold a candle to the older MCF games. Those a fun to play again. They do not make you feel like you are lacking brain cells.
Fun factor is really not there with this game. It is like finishing your taxes, you have to do it cause you want the pay off, but geesh I want to have fun playing these games not fry my brain trying to figure it out.

[Post New]by silent_pepper on Jan 11, 12 7:15 PM
I didn't play the first 2 Raven Hearst series,
so.. I just said that I love this, I quite liked the morphing HOS. more than HOG ones, They made a difference to the HOG.
*somehow i'm too lazy to search all the hog list, thats why i love morphing HOS more than HOG

am I the only one who think that this game have a really difficult puzzle?
somehow when i found those minigames, I just want to throw my mouse and yell "Geez! this is too hard" and i skip most of them.

but i still love this Raven Hearst,
maybe I will go to see the first Raven Hearst series

Seester2
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by Seester2 on Jan 12, 12 10:58 AM
Loved this game! A 10 out of 10! I am a big fan of the series, so this was a treat. My only disappointment was that when the closing credits came on, I was interrupted and was not able to watch the characters goofing off and the names shift back and forth. I went back into the credits later to watch, and all the extra stuff was gone, just the regular credits played. At any rate, if there are more Ravenhearst games, they are on the top of my list to buy!

CndnPhoenix
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by CndnPhoenix on Jan 13, 12 4:04 AM

I was one of the ones that loudly complained about this game when it first came out and I demo'ed it. But I bought it anyways, and have been playing it in a nice quiet environment. I think that is what I needed to do in the first place, because the more I play it, the more I am enjoying
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa and enjoying
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa and enjoying it!

I actually feel like apologising to BF. I am halfway finished and would give it a 10 out of 10 so far.

[Post New]by africanclark on Jan 13, 12 5:29 AM
Little slow on posting, but I am also unhappy with the new game in fact haven't even been back on it since I first started playing it miss hidden objects waited a year for this game.. sorry bigfish just really disappointed.

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Jan 14, 12 3:16 AM
The voiceovers are good although the dialogue is not clickable; the artwork is lovely & the graphics excellent. Superb ambient sounds in the background.

There are 2 modes; master detective with no hints & casual which only has hints for the hidden morphing scenes & the odd glint here & there. Otherwise you are totally on your own, if you want to buy this game I suggest the CE as without the in built strategy guide you will spend a lot of time looking through the walkthrough.

This was quite simply too hard for me to figure out without a hint system & I really hate having to keep stopping to check out an SG or a walkthrough. In addition I really did not like having to sit staring at a screen to find 11 morphing objects in one scene.

Not a buy for me

aenvit
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by aenvit on Jan 14, 12 4:49 AM
LOVE THIS GAME!! Thought the morphing HOS were quite different and enjoyed them very much. My only thought was that maybe the clues that were found should have been put into the journal for you and that the hint button worked a little better. I, too, hate having to go to the WT to find out where to go next and since this was such an involved game, that was absolutely necessary in quite a few places. Would have been better to be able to click the hint button to see an area where something needed to be completed. Just an idea. The puzzles in this game were fantastic - reminded me of Return to Ravenhurst - especially the one with the intricate series of solutions! Love a puzzle I have to work on to solve rather than one that is very obvious!

Over all a wonderful game - the "gross" scenes didn't bother me so much - and I hope that Charles and Victor return somehow to entertain us again!!

Thanks Mystery Case Files!!!

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Jan 14, 12 9:21 AM
I bought the SE game and I loved this spooky game, I see I am going to have to wear a couple pairs of sneakers in here to get to complete this game, Loved the graphics and spooky sounds thx Bf and DEV's much love to you both..Happy gaming fishes..

[Post New]by 1014Mousling on Jan 14, 12 10:23 PM
Finally finished the game, whew! While I ended up enjoying it and even got used to the MOS, I did find myself having to go back to the walkthrough quite a bit (especially with some of the mini-games. The skip button came in handy too) and would have loved it if the hint button would have contained any clues other than just being used for the MOS. I know if I had gotten the CE I would have had the SG, but there weren't enough extras for me to justify buying the CE. Also, I found I didn't really use my diary (notebook) because it didn't keep up with the flow of play. It didn't seem to update itself very quickly.

I found the storyline interesting, though I could understand why some might find it disconcerting. The live actors were very good, especially the actor playing Charles, he played insane, creepy and evil very well!

The graphics were spot on and very detailed (I normally say how beautiful the graphics are on MCF games - I thought the graphics on The 13th Skull were gorgeous, even though I didn't like the game that much.) But the subject matter of this game kind of makes that sound weird, so I'll stick with very detailed.

So, overall it was a game I enjoyed, not the best MCF game I've played-sorry, just love Dire Grove It will be quite some time before I even think of playing it again.

Edited on 01/14/2012 at 10:26:39 PM PST

[Post New]by sugarcitygirl on Jan 16, 12 1:38 PM
I loved the first two Ravenhearst games and was initially excited for this one, but I didn't buy this game for a long time because of all the bad reviews. When the sale came on for Collector's Editions, I decided to go for it.

I am glad now that I purchased it. I agree that some parts were gross....they didn't bother me, but I know some people might be affected. The gameplay was great, though. There was enough variety for me that it kept me interested all the way through. I'm not a big fan of a lot of hidden object scenes, so this was perfect for me.

As was previously mentioned, I think my favorite part of the story in the game was the actor that played Charles. Wow. I would love to see him in a movie. Great job.

I will be playing this game again soon.

[Post New]by dleliz on Jan 16, 12 2:09 PM
I share the opinion that this was good, different from the MCF games, but not great. I think I detest morphing. It was really hard for me to get past certain areas and I had to go to the walkthrough many times. Calling this a HOG seems like a misnomer to me. It was pretty gross in spots. My computer was not happy with it either. It ran slow and jittery in some spots. I prefer games that make more sense, even if I have to apply a little brain power. This one didn't flow for me.

[Post New]by stompsonfrogs on Jan 16, 12 8:50 PM
Not much fun to me, I echo most of the views on the board. Too much going back to the walkthru because you get stuck with no ideas at all

MaryD1215
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by MaryD1215 on Jan 17, 12 2:56 PM
I really, REALLY disliked this game. I hate morphing objects even in small doses and in this game every "HOG" (and I use the term loosely) scene was morph. Whoever thought that was a good idea should be fired. Ugh. A definite thumbs down on this one for me.

Edited on 01/17/2012 at 2:57:54 PM PST

[Post New]by Buckeyegirs on Jan 17, 12 10:00 PM
layzeedaisy wrote:Bought the CE some time ago and this game is definitely not for the beginner.

Morphs are much more fun to collect as bonus items. Substituting morphing items for hidden object scenes can drive you nuts!!

Also thought the whole game concept was pretty sick, particularly the hospital and maternity scenes. What warped and twisted minds our devs have !!

Not a replay for me and already deleted the game from my computer.

I was vastly disappointed in this...it hardly comes even up to the mark of the two previous games. The game was misnamed- it is not a search and find game, the quality was not even up to par with the first of the series, not less the second which I think to be the best. I waited a long time for the to come out and can honestly say that I'm vastly disappointed.

[Post New]by mooshoo on Jan 20, 12 7:12 PM
I loved it!!! Pretty dark subject matter but very intersting to play. Liked the morphing objects. It was a nice change. The actor who played Charles was so scary and creepy but you couldn't take your eyes off him. He did a great job. Can't wait for the next Ravenhearst!!!

Go to: