Re:Reviews for White Haven Mysteries Collector's Edition

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Jan 12, 12 8:02 PM
I found myself more annoyed than anything playing the demo. Certainly not scared!! Too may HOS (ofcourse) and the voices, even tho fairly normal, still managed to irritate me. I don't know, it just didn't grab me somehow. I still have 13 minutes left on the demo and just couldn't play anymore. Maybe I'll try again later.

feenix

avndh
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by avndh on Jan 13, 12 9:01 PM
Well, I rather liked it! It's kind of scary at first - and I do wish they would have continued on with the story line a bit better, but all in all, it's fun.

There are too many HOS's too - I would agree with that - but some are really creative and fun - for instance: Having to find a lot of a few single of items (feathers, bottles, coins, etc.), or putting all the items in a chair - that's very different, and I thought it was fun.

Those that only played the demo - I purchased it. And the first half is the whole metal hospital thing - but with a twist! It's really about multiple personalities. Yes, they could have done a bit more with this - but perhaps they will?

Also, the whole second half is in a huge garden full of various search areas - It's true your left on your own at this point - but I liked it - and I liked that the whole game isn't so dark - it's gets hard on my eyes - I liked the lighter scenes.

So, for those that think it's just another "mental hospital" theme - not quite. The only other thing is - the puzzles are too easy. If you like a challenge in your mini games - your not going to like this. But for me it was fine. It was a nice change.

I'm going to try it again shortly in the more difficult mode - I'll let you know if the puzzles get more difficult.

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Jan 14, 12 1:28 PM
I think I'll wait on the SE for this one. Definitely worth the SE price though. I'm just getting tired of paying for CE's that are only marginally better than an SE version.

Waiting for SE... release it any time you want, I'm ready.

tomb57
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by tomb57 on Jan 15, 12 6:37 PM
I liked most every thing about this game except for the ending, and the bonus game ending.
I am not sure what the writers were going for in this story, but it was strange and depressing, and the usual bonus game that would lead to a sequel, or explanation was even worse.
If there is a sequel to this game I won't buy it unless someone gives a rave review.
Most of the games from this developer are really good, but what a dud this time!!!

[Post New]by bright_eyes1 on Jan 16, 12 3:32 PM
I enjoyed the game, but I too was disappointed with the ending of both the game and the bonus chapter. I have to agree that the ending was too depressing. I have enjoyed some of the dark games in the past, but this one missed the mark (no hope). I thought the graphics were were good, and I thought the sound effects and music fit perfectly. In fact, I turned down the sound a couple of times because I got creeped out.

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on Jan 18, 12 12:42 PM
I'm a little behind with this game but I wanted to leave my opinion on this game too. I liked the game a lot! I enjoyed the storyline, gameplay and voice overs. I liked that you got a message that told you when an area was cleared (saves you looking around for nothing), I like that it seemed logical regarding what you need to do next. I enjoyed the journal entries and yes I read them all. I played on hard mode and still didn't need to use the strategy guide during the entire game.
The only thing I didn't like was how short it was. About 4 hours for me on hard mode and I usually play on casual. It felt like it was a 'part' of a game. I've bought a few regular edition of games that were longer and had a complete and satifactory ending. Just wanted to add that because when I pay for a CE, I want to feel like I got the 'whole' game and an end. If to be continued, why not say that at end of game? I also agree with whoever said before me(sorry, I forgot who) that the devs put all the good stuff in the demo then got lazy after that. I will definately wait next time if White Haven Mysteries 2 comes out

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Jan 23, 12 9:26 AM
I just completed the game and here are my thoughts on it. I won't repeat what has already been said.

The game itself was very good, but there were over 40 HOS in the game and they all had a minimum of 15 objects to find. With multiple instances of an object, sometimes you had to find 25 items. But, there is no random-click penalty on Easy mode, so you can click away and I found 90% of the items that way.

Two points that were different for me than what others posted. For me, on Easy, the Hint Meter took 30 seconds to recharge (not 20) and the Skip meter took 60 seconds (not 20). Also, I never got a notice when an area was cleared (Easy mode).

The game was very atmospheric and the voice talent was appropriately creepy. Some might consider it scary, especially when the children sing an eerie nursery rhyme throughout, and seeing the anguished look on everyone's faces.

Here are the things that I didn't like. The game was sluggish, especially the zoom-in scenes. I had to click on things 4-5 times before they would open/close. There were very few mini-games and there were no instuctions for those games.

Both endings were very abrupt. However, for those who said they will wait for the SE, the Bonus chapter in this game (only available in the CE) was probably the longest I ever played, so it's worth the money. I figure I played the Bonus chapter for about 1 hour and 45 minutes. Besides the SG, you also get wallpaper and concept art, if you care about those things.

Even with all the HOS (which I don't like) the game was very well done.

I rate it an 8 out of 10.

Edited on 01/23/2012 at 10:01:50 AM PST

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Jan 23, 12 9:39 AM
Hi, peeshee! That's an hilarious name. I bet you're Italian.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Jan 26, 12 11:40 AM
Didn't like the music...it was annoying.... a pet peeve. Lots of hidden objects. SG does stay where you left it...a plus. I am not sure about this one. Graphics are kind of dark...on spot says only look on right side and then there is an item in the middle where you would never find it.... Myeh....sort of dull...didn't grab me at all.

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Jan 27, 12 8:43 AM
This game was good, but it could have definitely been better. It had decent graphics, very good adventure elements, lots of hidden object scenes and a few extremely easy puzzle-type activities. The length was on the short side, although the bonus game was longer than some others I’ve played in CEs, and was pretty good. The challenge level was moderate on the hard level, in terms of adventure/inventory objects.

The game had good, bad, and some rather odd points. One of its strong points was the story which was slowly revealed throughout the game (although it was very much on the dark side). Also good was the creepy soundtrack voices (some general background sound effects got on my nerves a bit, however). I disliked the strategy guide, as I typically do from this developer. This one seemed to start over in one particular spot every time I opened it –very annoying. Also, there was lots of lost potential in terms of atmosphere and consistency. Although the graphics were fine, they were mostly grim (in keeping with the theme) but some lighter scenes just didn’t seem to belong in the game (for example a pumpkin patch). There seemed to be promise early in the game of hallucinatory-type scenes – which was very good and creative – but there actually was only one…this type of thing made the game seem to be a bit thrown together. Also, the ending to the main story was quite abrupt. Oddly, I was left with several inventory objects that continued to appear during the bonus game, but were never used…

The asylum theme has been done several times over, and better, by other developers. While I enjoyed this game for the most part, I would definitely recommend FACES, Asylum Conspiracy, or Twisted Lands Insomniac over this one for a similar setting. Previous titles from this developer such as the Princess Isabella and Empress of the Deep series, or Voodoo Whisperer, are also far superior to this game.

Liasmani
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
19,504 Posts

[Post New]by Liasmani on Jan 31, 12 9:53 AM
Fun Factor: 3.5 stars
Visual/Sound Quality: 5 stars
Level of Challenge: 5 stars
Average Rating: 5 stars

Pros:
- Excellent graphics
-Great voice-overs
-Variety of puzzles

Cons:
-Trekking (for those who hate it)
-Soup cooking mini-game gave me problems because the cutting board is place close to zoom out area that you automatically zoom out when you try to click on the food.

Disclaimer: This review is based on the game's demo.

[Post New]by acecyberwitch on Feb 1, 12 1:18 PM
this is a good game but sadly not worth 2 credits wish i'd waited for the normal version

Noonio
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by Noonio on Feb 6, 12 1:38 PM
Ive played about 30 mins of the demo and loving it so far. Defo will buy it now so will let you know my thoughts so far. I dont usually listen to the sound but my husband is watching football so decided to plug my earphones in. I think its very eerie listening to it but liking it.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Feb 23, 12 5:44 PM
That's three hours of my life I won't get back. I really tried to like this game, but it was too disjointed. No rhyme nor reason for most of the game. It was a buy, but should have been a no buy for me. Oh well

underwriter
Herring
Herring
356 Posts

[Post New]by underwriter on Feb 26, 12 8:47 PM
I came looking here because I bought and just finished the SE and I'm not sure what just happened - so was looking for a CE spoiler post. If anyone wants to discuss it and is willing to PM me, I'd love to discuss.

Scottsteaux63
Minnow
Minnow
222 Posts

[Post New]by Scottsteaux63 on Jan 23, 13 1:59 PM
Good but not great. There's a lot to like about it: It is creepy, the storyline is involving, and while most of the puzzles are on the easy side (I know this because I did not have to skip a single one and I usually SUCK at puzzles LOL), it's a fun game to play.

I only have two complaints: the first is that the game is pitifully short and even the Bonus Gameplay does not really flesh it out sufficiently: I made it all the way through the entire thing in two-and-a-half hours.

Also, that "warning" at the beginning telling people to "play in the dark with the lights off" and advising those who scare easily to "keep the lights on" was not only gimmicky but rather stupid. Yeah, the game is sort of creepy, but the Mystery Case Files, the Dark Tales, and the Mystery Trackers series are all far creepier and make this one seem quite tame by comparison.

I don't mean to knock it completely; it's an enjoyable ride while it lasts. It's just that when it's over you will be saying to yourself "that's it?"

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Aug 4, 13 2:48 PM
Well it was nice to see a warning on this game, so younger children would not choose to play it. BUT, I fail to see where the scary parts were, or maybe I'm just immune to them by now. Either way I would not pay for the CE on this, if you have not bought this one yet. Went through the entire game and never used it. The HOS were easy enough, however I don't really remember it having any puzzles that I had to solve. Unusual, but fine by me. I also felt that the gaming experience was extremely short, sort of chopped together instead of having fluidity, and NO MAP. Honestly, you really don't need one, but there is a lot of running back and forth. Concept wise, I have played better psychiatric, messed up in the head games than this one. Again I believe its due to the lack of fluidity in this game. I don't know but after finishing this game, it left a lot to be desired.

[Post New]by shirlthecurl on Oct 22, 13 11:37 PM
I really did not enjoy this game . There were to many HOG every time you went to a new location they were there and not much of a story line would not recommend it. Glad I only paid half price.

Go to: