grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

Re:Reviews for Otherworld: Spring of Shadows Collector's Edition

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Jan 22, 12 6:48 PM
For me, this would be a much better game if they had an occasional well drawn hog scene here and there. I really don't see how BFG can call it a hog/adventure, when there are no hog scenes....other than the jewels in the flower bed. I may buy it some day down the road with a pcc or gc when it comes out as a SE. That being said, I hope all of you enjoy it anway.

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Jan 22, 12 7:37 PM
Well, I was just about to buy this game....but game by a glitch that I just cant get past. The orange gem will not let you pick it up. No buy for me! I even deleted profile & started a new one-STILL the same problem.

Calicohorse
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by Calicohorse on Jan 22, 12 7:51 PM
Hi All,

I don't usually shell out for CEs, but am not regretting it one bit! This is a LOVELY game. I've been playing 6 hours plus+ and guessing I have 1.5 hours to go with the regular game, not including bonus chapter. I'm a fairly slow player though and playing on expert. No sparkles, y'all!

Also, virtually no HOS (kind of nice for a change); it's all puzzles and inventory items, with very little backtracking. Did I mention the gorgeous scenes? If you're a fan of art nouveau, you're in for a treat!

Some may find it a little easy, but it's rather nice to not skip puzzles (lots of jigsaws) or consult a WT overly. Lots and lots to do so I can see replay value (after a few months) because you'd forget a lot of details. Well worth a CE price, I think. Lots of interesting characters and the story flows well. I'm enjoying it thoroughly; my favourite so far amongst a LOT of good ones recently.

Cheers, CA

Edited on 01/22/2012 at 7:58:43 PM PST

petrinov
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by petrinov on Jan 22, 12 8:24 PM
This game is like a breath of fresh air!! Finally, not a hidden object game that gives you a dull opaque looking group of objects to choose. This game is so well done, and the art beautiful. Don't want it to end.

Thank you so much to the developers

Joyfullady
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,498 Posts

[Post New]by Joyfullady on Jan 22, 12 10:01 PM
textrekkie wrote: (Some may be alarmed at what others have said, but I can assure you that dryads are not demons - they are female spirits of nature from Greek mythology. Shades are merely different elements in the spirit world - no more than ghosts. So rest easy - there are no occult references in this game. No crystal balls, no ouija boards, no tarot cards, no pentagrams, etc.)

I disagree that people who hold to certain values should not be alarmed. I appreciate being forewarned. I'm familiar with the beautiful and shy dryads of Greek Mythology, protector of trees" and would not have been offended if this had been the mythical wood nymph. I can not find a single picture featuring Rams Horns on their heads. I can however find many photos of various symbols of Aries the Zodiac sign in astrology and horoscopes and similar symbols of both male and female in the underworld.

Please judge for yourselves what is acceptable for you in a game. Based on the first hour of the game I found it personally unacceptable.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Jan 22, 12 10:12 PM
As I posted early on, as far as the demo, I thought this game looked like such a promising game and yet I still had a few reservations before hitting the purchase button, so thanks for clearing things up with your absolutely excellent, detailed review, appreciated it very much, definitely helps decision making!!

textrekkie wrote:This review is on the completed game (minus the bonus game) and will serve as an addendum to my prior review.

The storyline in this game is so well developed. The supporting background characters are well formed, documented and beautifully done. (Some may be alarmed at what others have said, but I can assure you that dryads are not demons - they are female spirits of nature from Greek mythology. Shades are merely different elements in the spirit world - no more than ghosts. So rest easy - there are no occult references in this game. No crystal balls, no demons, no ouija boards, no tarot cards, no pentagrams, etc. You do, however, have to mix a couple of potions.)

The puzzles are of good variety - there are several logic puzzles, several involving dexterity, some that involve skill and others that are a puzzle/jigsaw in nature. All are fairly original and presented in very imaginative ways and beautifully done. I enjoyed them all (I experienced one problem with carding wool - but I think that was due to my ailing mouse and 'achy-braky' hands - I couldn't get the motion quite right. And I tried to make a mountain out of a mole hill cutting the stain glass - what a fool I made of myself on that ).

My total play time for the main game ten minutes shy of 12 hours. I haven't started that bonus game. I missed 3 of the collectibles (grrrr) and I got all of the regular achievements except Complete the Game in 6 hours or less (I think this should be altered for Hardcore players to "6 hours or More" ) Find All the Collectibles and Complete All the Achievements.

Definitely the best game I've played in a very, very long time. Five out of five stars from me with sincere hopes there will be many more like this one. . Thanks so much, BoomZap. My continued admiration.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 23, 12 12:17 AM
Joyfullady wrote:Thank you for your concerns. No I haven't mixed up the games - only wished I had. The people with the horns on their head - like the girl's guardian attached to the tree, the demon with the big teeth are all products from occultism and the underworld. I can't get to the "fairytale" part if I can't get past these beings. It is different from the fairytale witches from Cinderella/Snow White. If you can then please enjoy the game.

TexTrekkie already said what I was going to say. That guardian attached to the tree is not a demon, but a dryad, which is a tree nymph.

The only "demon-like" creature you see is The Shade, who has no face but horns. The other creatures are beings from mythology.

And talking about fairy tales: The other day I mentioned that most of the fairy tales are dark and gruesome stories, not fit for children's ears. Snow White? She was being hunted down and poisoned by her stepmother who happened to be a witch.
Just one of those fairy tales that should give you nightmares.

Anyway, enjoy your week.

barbee44 wrote:I thank Valdy for the great reviews... he or she always tells it like it is and isn't afraid to admit not being the smartest, fastest, and greatest like some here.

I like the games on the easy side myself. Not too easy, but sometimes you do get frustrated... and I absolutely hate being stranded in a game without a clue what to do next. I don't want a game to point it out blatantly but a little hint is helpful.

I usually skip down the reviews until I find Valdy's to decide if I'll even demo the game.
I haven't demoed yet but I have a feeling I"ll end up buying this as a CE and I hardly ever buy CE's... but I'm just so excited that there are no junkpile HOG scenes! I have credits stored up just for this type of game.

Awww... thank you, Barbee. I do hope you will like this game. It really is wonderfully done.

Happy Monday, everyone !

ETA: And Barbee... I am a "she".

Edited on 01/23/2012 at 4:15:00 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jan 23, 12 2:27 AM
sjsullivan wrote:This is NOT a CE game!!!!! Come on guys. It's more of a puzzle game than HOG for sure. False advertising. And stop with the CEs unless they are worth the price!!!!

I am curious as to why you are so emphatic that this is not a CE game. What more would you want from a game to make it a CE? One after another hidden object scenes? That doesn't make for a balanced game and as someone pointed out, just because there are very few 'junkpile' scenes to search through (but there are some), doesn't mean it isn't a hidden object game. They are mostly 'find 20 of a certain object' but still hidden and some very hard to spot. So it's not 'false advertising' to include it in the hidden object genre.

A strategy guide that keeps up with where you are in the story, achievements to win, Easter eggs to discover, beautiful graphics, well told storyline, interesting puzzles, automatic widescreen; as far as I can see, it's exactly what a CE should be.

skr041300
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by skr041300 on Jan 23, 12 3:50 AM
I agree with those reviewers who commented that this game isn't challenging. I was bored playing the demo. In addition, I don't like mini games and this game had a ton of them.

Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

[Post New]by Sherryah on Jan 23, 12 6:01 AM
FORTUNATUS wrote:
care___916 wrote:Played the full demo. I have been spoiled with voices in my favorite games and this game has no voices at all. It does have a SG access from the game but every picture you click on you have to individually click on a specific "close" tab. No map as far as I could see.

The graphics had great color but I didnt think it was sharp and clear. Some new mini games but so far they were really easy and I never say that lol.

I dont this game will be a buy for me. It felt like a SE not a CE.

Happy gaming

Hi... check again... it DOES have voices.... maybe you had them turned off???

This is strange I saw another complained there is NO VOICES and there are none for me either. I hear music, and didn't see anywhere that said voices in the option. Please tell me how to turn on the voices, I will buy the game if I have voices in it. I saw the little girl but she had no voice only text. Never had this problem before. I have sounds turned all the way up, music mid way, don't really care for the music thus far but it is early an no big dea. Thanks whoever answers this question.
EDIT
To all who think the game doesn't have voices like I did, it does have voices, but not that much. I was disappointed at the characters I met that did not have voices. It would be great to add to enjoyment of the game. I also hate the shade popping up when I click too much. Come on Devs that is part of experimenting. grrr

Edited on 01/23/2012 at 10:47:06 AM PST

Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

[Post New]by Sherryah on Jan 23, 12 6:05 AM
textrekkie wrote:This review is on the completed game (minus the bonus game) and will serve as an addendum to my prior review.

The storyline in this game is so well developed. The supporting background characters are well formed, documented and beautifully done. (Some may be alarmed at what others have said, but I can assure you that dryads are not demons - they are female spirits of nature from Greek mythology. Shades are merely different elements in the spirit world - no more than ghosts. So rest easy - there are no occult references in this game. No crystal balls, no demons, no ouija boards, no tarot cards, no pentagrams, etc. You do, however, have to mix a couple of potions.)

The puzzles are of good variety - there are several logic puzzles, several involving dexterity, some that involve skill and others that are a puzzle/jigsaw in nature. All are fairly original and presented in very imaginative ways and beautifully done. I enjoyed them all (I experienced one problem with carding wool - but I think that was due to my ailing mouse and 'achy-braky' hands - I couldn't get the motion quite right. And I tried to make a mountain out of a mole hill cutting the stain glass - what a fool I made of myself on that ).

My total play time for the main game ten minutes shy of 12 hours. I haven't started that bonus game. I missed 3 of the collectibles (grrrr) and I got all of the regular achievements except Complete the Game in 6 hours or less (I think this should be altered for Hardcore players to "6 hours or More" ) Find All the Collectibles and Complete All the Achievements.

Definitely the best game I've played in a very, very long time. Five out of five stars from me with sincere hopes there will be many more like this one. . Thanks so much, BoomZap. My continued admiration.

Thank you for your review and easing my mind about how deep into the occult would this game go. Please tell me how do I get voices in the game? How do I know what collectables to find for achievements? Thanks for letting me know the game length is worthy of CE now if you could just help me get voices, are they in the demo or do I have to purchase to hear them?

[Post New]by sjsullivan on Jan 23, 12 6:13 AM
Elldee........The game is advertised as a HOG. Therefore it should be mostly HOG. Also... it is advertised as a CE and the price is that of a CE. Maybe you need to go back and read my post more carefully before replying. No need for hostility. We asll have opinions and the right to express them here. not everyone has to agree with you.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Jan 23, 12 6:22 AM
sjsullivan wrote:Elldee........The game is advertised as a HOG. Therefore it should be mostly HOG. Also... it is advertised as a CE and the price is that of a CE. Maybe you need to go back and read my post more carefully before replying. No need for hostility. We asll have opinions and the right to express them here. not everyone has to agree with you.

in the full game there are actually quite a few hog scenes, of most every type, ie junk pile, fragmented, riddle, etc

[Post New]by sjsullivan on Jan 23, 12 6:22 AM
To Angelfish.....A CE would not be such a lame game. It isn't worth $13.99. As I stated to elldee.....we all have opinions and this is the place to express comments BOTH good and BAD. If you had another experience....bully for you. but attacking mine is not cool. I happen to only play HOG games because that is my preference. If this had been advertised as a puzzle game ( which it should have been). then I wouldn't have purchased it. I'm wishing I hadn't especially at the CE price. Have a great day.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 23, 12 6:38 AM
sjsullivan wrote:Elldee........The game is advertised as a HOG. Therefore it should be mostly HOG. Also... it is advertised as a CE and the price is that of a CE. Maybe you need to go back and read my post more carefully before replying. No need for hostility. We asll have opinions and the right to express them here. not everyone has to agree with you.

Just wanted to point out that this game has been advertised as a: Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure game - HOPA, as they are also known as.

They could have called it: Puzzle Adventure Hidden Object game, to make sure that HOG fans don't think that HOS are first and foremost the main reason for this game. But I guess that PAHO doesn't sound as good, or even APHO, if you change around the first 2 words.

Either way, there are hidden object scenes in this game, but it's not advertised as a pure HOG.

kindergal
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,283 Posts

[Post New]by kindergal on Jan 23, 12 8:23 AM
Because of all the great reviews I will try the trial tonight.
Valdy, you make me feel better because you say you don't care if Otherworld is
kind of easy. You LIKE some of them easy...me, too!!
I depend on my fishie friends...I LOOK for you reviews:
Casualgran
Puzzledone
Miss lisa
Valdy
cherbtoo
cbtx
rebeccalily
textrekkie
shadowfax
and so many others.
Often someone refers to a review and I look through 13 pages and it is not there.
bfg flounder told me some delete their reviews. PLEASE DON'T!!
some of us may not get around to reading them for a while.
I am probably the most senior fishie of all, but love our games and appreciate all the wonderful help.
Love to all of you!
kindergal

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 23, 12 8:31 AM
Awww... thank you, kindergal.

And I for one never delete my reviews. Can't speak for the others, of course.

Hope you will enjoy the game. It really is a wonderful game.

tempeasu
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by tempeasu on Jan 23, 12 8:48 AM
i'm 2 minutes into the game and cannot find the third stone fragment. help

Carole22759
Minnow
Minnow
288 Posts

[Post New]by Carole22759 on Jan 23, 12 10:09 AM
I had such a wonderful time playing this game.
~THANK YOU BOOM-ZAP~

Without a lot of hand-holding, the game's next step decision making was left up-to-me, where I encountered less than a handful of (traditional) H0scenes, lots of other-type H0scenes, and found the gamut of puzzles to be creative and pleasantly entertaining; albeit sometimes simple. However, as I ventured through the game, I found this simplicity to be gentle, relaxing, and fun!

The effortless creativity offered with this game, as well as the stunning graphics AND real wide/full screen, are the core of its enjoyment factor. The play captivates you, luring you into the adventure; that is up to you to unfold.

..Some have given up during the demo - snarking that the game's "too easy" ...But, if you have the capacity to play this one to the end, I think you will see it as an affable champion!

Edited on 01/23/2012 at 10:21:41 AM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jan 23, 12 10:17 AM
A relaxing game with plenty of puzzles and graphics were good too. Enjoyed the story and music.. Somthing different and don't know if I would buy it as a CE but will get the SE,

Go to: