Re:Reviews for Midnight Mysteries: Haunted Houdini Deluxe

[Post New]by NancySusan on Feb 3, 12 3:31 PM
I just wanted to say that I really loved the idea of an integrated SG in an SE -- I enjoyed this game, until technical issues stopped me from completing it -- I've posted to the tech. complaints; hopefully they will fix the problem that a lot of people had. But the nice thing about this game is that, as long as you don't mind the purely imaginative and probably totally untrue plotline (what actually happened to poor Houdini, like what happened to poor Poe, Hawthorne, Twain's brother was it?, etc.), it is a really fun game to play -- the familiarity of the music and sound effects and the ravens and 4-leaf clovers were fun as well. I didn't find the SG was entirely useful, but it was at times helpful and you can't complain having it at the price of an SE. I'd love to see more of these "deluxe" games.

avndh
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by avndh on Feb 3, 12 3:42 PM
I love the midnight mysteries series - even though they are factually incorrect - so what they are a blast!
I love the historical characters - the clovers and crows are always fun and a challenge to find them all.
Also really like the looks of these games. They are well written, well done - and to have the integrated strategy guide with a regular priced game is really AWESOME!

Big Cudo's to these dev's! I'll be waiting to buy the next one!

oct2447
Stingray
Stingray
5,937 Posts

[Post New]by oct2447 on Feb 7, 12 7:21 PM
The Midnight Mysteries games are perfect for me..........great take offs on known characters, super graphics, gorgeous scenes, puzzles I can actually solve (well, most of them, anyway), great music, deliciously creepy.......... and they make me JUMP!!

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Feb 8, 12 12:40 PM
I am not going to go into any technical stuff...this was a game well worth playing, it was worth the time and monies as far as that goes. I especially liked the story, kinda on the order of the Edgar Allan Poe series, it has a real story to it! Good game and I have to say I loved it! The deluxe part did make a difference as it was so easy to see where you were and where you needed to go along with some extra help if you so desired. I was pleased, good choice for our first deluxe. Thanks BF!

Horrible Game

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Feb 9, 12 7:44 AM
I know I am in the minority here, but I hated this game and didn't even finish the demo and that has rarely happened before. So this is not a complete review because I didn't even finish the demo. The funny thing is that I liked all the other Midnight Mysteries games, except this one. Maybe it's me, but there have been some games in the past where the demo wasn't that good, but I gave it a chance and bought it anyway. It might turn out the game was okay, but not great and I would give it a fair review because the game had some redeeming values. But that was not the case with this game.

I'm bringing this up because this may have been the worst game I ever tried. I absolutely hated it and that rarely happens. This is what I didn't like about it. There are no voices and way too much dialogue. I just didn't feel like reading all that dialogue. Then, you can't just click it to get rid of it. It tries to force you to enage in dialogue by clicking on questions at the bottom of the screen that you want to ask the characters. I just wasn't into it.

Since I didn't play the entire game, I don't know if this changes, but there was too much hand-holding. I felt like I was playing a Tutorial, but it never asked me if I wanted a Tutorial, as most other games do. Plus, I didn't even understand what some of the hints were. It seemed to be telling me to look in the SG.

Then there was the business of combining 2 items from inventory in the 2 boxes with the plus sign in the middle. That's tedious.

On top of all this, the text was way too small for me. I couldn't read the Journal or the dialogue easily, so I didn't know what was happening. I also couldn't easily read the item list in the H0 scenes. So if you can't read the screen it's not worth playing. Give the demo a try and see if you have any trouble reading it. If not, then see if you like the other aspects of the game, but for me it was a no go.

I rate this game, just based on part of the demo, a 3 out of 10.

Edited on 02/10/2012 at 4:04:00 AM PST

Kyasarin
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by Kyasarin on Feb 9, 12 10:47 AM
This game is as good as any CE I've played. I'm really pleased it's available at SE price, because it's got a lot of extras normally reserved for the CEs. I enjoyed the storyline, the mini-games were mostly fun and not frustrating, and it has a built-in SG. I liked collecting the clovers and the ravens, although I didn't manage to collect them all.

The one thing I'd say could be better is that the storyline does drag a bit. The game ended up going into overtime for me, and it's bad when you get impatient toward the end. That could have used some tightening up. Also, there was my ever-present English teacher angst, amplified because Sir Arthur Conan Doyle would never have made so many grammatical gaffes.

Overall, though, I really enjoyed the game, and I'll be looking for more from this game maker.

nosake
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by nosake on Feb 9, 12 12:28 PM
Disappointed in that mine is a minority opinion on this game. I don't like it. It's too "in your face" giving the player little chance to relax and enjoy the story and game.

mar39
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by mar39 on Feb 9, 12 7:43 PM
I've enjoyed all the games in this series, and this one is no exception! I don't recall having a game actually startle me before but this one did---twice! Looking forward to anything else these developers come up with!

Hapless
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
427 Posts

[Post New]by Hapless on Feb 10, 12 3:02 AM
I too have enjoyed all the games in this series. This was especially good. Just played it again to try and collect all clovers and ravens but still 7 clovers short and 3 ravens, drat!!!

Loved the deluxe version and hope there is more to come.

Hats off to Mr Newcome.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Feb 10, 12 3:50 AM
Just finished the game and am still very impressed! It was plenty long and I never lost interest.

They could make all the games "Deluxe" and I would be happy It's like getting a CE and not having to pay for it.

WAY TO GO BIG FISH!!!

[Post New]by HotGamer1255 on Feb 12, 12 9:27 AM
I have three of the Midnight Mysteries games. I love every one of them,, But this Houdini is the BEST. It keep my interest, The graphics, characters, puzzles, and the story line. This is one geat game, and you need to add it to your list of games...
Don't miss out.. Thank You BF for their game chose.....

Duetgirl
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by Duetgirl on Feb 12, 12 7:54 PM
THoroughly enjoyed this one as much as I did the previous two in this series! Very entertaining story, good HOGS, good puzzles. Was rather long, too-- which I enjoyed. I like having to find the clovers and ravens too-- adds an extra kick. Great game if you want a good story, good graphics & good puzzles!

blueskies01
Guppy
Guppy
161 Posts

[Post New]by blueskies01 on Mar 3, 12 11:02 PM
I got as far as the HOG in the Doyle study when my demo time ended. So far, this is an improvement over Mississippi, where the plot was maddening. Here at least we're in Houdini magic and seance zaniness, & I hope it doesn't fall off a cliff. Whyever does that Skip button takes so l-o-n-g? It needlessly breaks the pace of the game (for those who prefer HOGs to puzzles). Devs please note that long Skips are a truly significant minus. I'd not have managed this particular game without the SG (& never got the barrels to work anyway), so it was a plus to have it integrated. As before, enjoyed looking for clovers & ravens. I'm sorry we're stuck w/the opening study scene, since I disliked it previously (room too dull & spare, & computer is distracting). At least we don't have huge crazed demons roaring around like a grade Z flick all the time. (About art for the spirits--seeing the eyes would be nice. All those empty sockets detract from the game.) A map--and more colorful scenes--would be welcome. (About the 'Deluxe' format: given the idiosyncracies of this particular game/dev, an integrated SG means I can consider purchasing now.But I sure hope we're not going to be inundated with such games, all at a higher price. If the price goes up, no 'Deluxe' games for me, unfortunately.) All in all, 4 points out of 5 for this one.

Edited on 03/03/2012 at 11:05:26 PM PST

kelsie2
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by kelsie2 on Mar 18, 12 12:52 PM
One of the best games I have played, even though it was very easy with the temptation of hints and a walkthrough !!!
Great value for money, a fun and enjoyable few hours, actually lots of hours because I read everything and take time enjoying the story and graphics !!!
More in the series please..

Akela16
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by Akela16 on Mar 20, 12 7:03 AM
A really super game. I liked the integrated "strategy guide" ... especially in the deluxe
version which is considerably less than the CE games. This one held me spellbound for several days. I definately plan on replaying the game in "expert" mode.

This is a good buy and a keeper.

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Apr 1, 12 3:38 PM
this was a fun game...i really liked it...all the midnight mysteries are fun, tho, so not surprising. i recommend it

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Apr 15, 12 10:47 PM
I loved this game, maybe having a CEsque type game (collecting things and built in SG as well as achievements) at a SE price had a LOT to do with it.

I love this series but the last one was annoyed as I am a Shakespeare fan.

I love collecting things and here (as usual) you collect ravens for hints (not on the hardest mode) and clovers (collecting 2 things in a game ). To have this at the same price as a SE is wonderful as sadly a lot of CEs don't even have things to collect which is nearly a must IMO for a CE. Voiceovers aren't as big as thing to me as collecting things.

I digress..

The puzzles although weren't hard were really enjoyable and not mind numbingly easy like a lot of HOPAs are.

I played on middle setting as I didn't want to miss out on collecting the ravens, but it gave me sparkles on hidden object scenes. (don't know if the 3rd setting - the hardest would do that)

The hidden object scenes at the most part were not junk pile

I love the graphics - sharp and not fuzzy or washed out, and when there was colour they were vibrant.

The plot was really interesting and well done, finding out about houdini.

There wasn't a lot of backtracking but very contained. And acheivements was a nice touch.

(for those that don't like occult it was heavily in this game)

overall a 5 star,
hardness
plot

Edited on 04/15/2012 at 10:53:36 PM PST

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on May 10, 12 9:34 AM
omg tedious
not as bad as mark twain but man is this painful
not fun
no flow
story is interesting but pass on midnight mysteries until they go back to their old writers

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on May 10, 12 4:53 PM
dang, glad to finally finish this game
hope i never buy another Midnight mystery game
thats the last 2 as stinkers
gla

Jerry99
Guppy
Guppy
105 Posts

Great game

[Post New]by Jerry99 on Jun 1, 12 3:55 PM
I really enjoyed this game, as I have two other Midnight Mysteries. Good story, excellent graphics, good games. In the Carnival I enjoyed that the hints is they actually lead you where to go next, like finding all 32 parts of the billboard
I look forward to any future Midnight Mystery games, they are excellent..

Go to: