Snugs76
Marlin
Marlin
9,854 Posts

Re:TGT - Dangerous High School Girls

[Post New]by Snugs76 on Jan 27, 09 2:08 PM
it IS pretty much word for word her description

 
juliamadeane
Flounder
Flounder
2,137 Posts

Re:TGT - Dangerous High School Girls

[Post New]by juliamadeane on Jan 27, 09 2:09 PM
shadowdiana wrote:Jule, isn't that plagerism if they are using your description? Without your consent? LOL
(Disclaimer: I have not looked at the site to see if it is truem or not...just taking a poster's word for it)


Most likely not! I posted it in a general forum and people have access to all of this stuff. That is also one of my concerns about the Ravenhearst story. I don't mind it being fully available to BFG and all of us . . . I just don't want some other site trying to utilize it for their own gain. I'm hoping BFG has a legal department that can protect at least its characters. It is also why I don't put that story anywhere else but in the thread it is in.

If any of you find it somewhere else . . . PLEASE let me know! As far as I'm concerned it belongs to BFG -- proprietarily! I'm not in their employ or under contract to them . . . I just believe that it is their initial story and characters that I'm borrowing and therefore, it stays here!

Edited on 01/27/2009 at 2:11:50 PM PST


 
maabea9116
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

Re:TGT - Dangerous High School Girls

[Post New]by maabea9116 on Jan 27, 09 2:25 PM
Ok, so I have commented twice I believe or so on the game, mainly in objection to the blurb glamorizing bullying (with no real explanation of what the game is like). I still object to the wording which will be public tomorrow.

I downloaded and played it for about nearly half the trial to really get a feel for the game. Here is my review and opinion. I realize some enjoy this game and many others find it boring and nasty. I agree with the later and here's why.

At first glance, DHG is a beautifully drawn, original concept game that is based on logic, human nature etc. I like the board game Clue like interface where you scroll around the map looking for characters to interact with. The taunts themselves (at least in the first half hour) were extremely tame. HOWEVER, some of the script you encounter besides the mini games of taunting, etc. had an extremely offensive line.

When the girl in the wheelchair objects to the new ramp installed for her use, she says it because "having boys carry me is my one thrill!" UGH!!!! How demeaning!

The girls when faced with the task of convincing the girl in the wheelchair to use the ramp said, "well if a cripple wants to drag herself up three steps who are we blah blah...." WOW. That one story sideline is enough for me to NOT ever buy this game. I would never enjoy a game that described someone with a physical handicap as a "cripple" or that the only way she got attention was from using her handicap limitations as a way to get a thrill from the boys.

The game had a great concept. Old timey, great drawing and graphics, great boardgame map like interface and building up qualities by interacting/winning encounters. It had so much potential. But just because it is set in the olden times does not excuse it's olden times offensiveness. If this game had used an offensive olden times word to describe a minority, not a girl with a physical handicap would you buy it? Not me on either scenario.

It is a boring game, repetitive and the story line is very awkward and if some of the other posters are to be believed, flirting with detectives and discussing adult activites would definitely make it way too mature for even teen audiences.
I would have loved this exact game if they took out the demeaning parts and perhaps had the game where more of not good girls get better the badder they get but "Good girls get better the more baddies they defeat."

Edited on 01/27/2009 at 2:30:57 PM PST


 
AlmostSilver
Minnow
Minnow
272 Posts

Re:TGT - Dangerous High School Girls

[Post New]by AlmostSilver on Jan 27, 09 2:26 PM
I haven't seen this many posts in a long long time on a TGT....now I gotta try it.
Made up my own mind.....not my cup of tea and not the type of game I want to see gain popularity...so...the only way I can speak is with my pocketbook....which will be tightly closed for this one. Waiting for the next games which will be great...I'm an optimist always.

Edited on 01/27/2009 at 4:00:03 PM PST


 
juliamadeane
Flounder
Flounder
2,137 Posts

Re:TGT - Dangerous High School Girls

[Post New]by juliamadeane on Jan 27, 09 2:33 PM
Good Gravy!!! It really is what I wrote!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
hilyer25
Marlin
Marlin
9,083 Posts

Re:TGT - Dangerous High School Girls

[Post New]by hilyer25 on Jan 27, 09 2:38 PM
juliamadeane wrote:Good Gravy!!! It really is what I wrote!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Hmm..they could've at least asked first.

 
shadowdiana
Shark
Shark
14,943 Posts

Re:TGT - Dangerous High School Girls

[Post New]by shadowdiana on Jan 27, 09 2:59 PM
They owe you, jule !!!!

eta: GRRRRRRRRR

Edited on 01/27/2009 at 3:00:10 PM PST


 
chimenesryan
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

Re:TGT - Dangerous High School Girls

[Post New]by chimenesryan on Jan 27, 09 3:29 PM
Ok I just have to say, I actually had downloaded this and played the one hour trial within in about an hour of them posting it to the site. I couldn't sleep last night, happened to be on my comp when I realized it was after midnight seattle time.

So my two cents (again, way before this thread was started) was initially I liked how it was drawn, I thought very original. Then I played some, and got confused. Taunts made no sense to me, the only mini game I truly enjoyed was the one guessing someones sentence (forget what they called it). I played thru the 60 minutes, was to the point after accusing maintenance man had to go to the nurse and then was being told to leave campus by the police. then trial ended.

I won't buy it. To me, from a playing view point, it was too confusing, there were no real instructions (unless, like me, you went back to menu to see the red "i" and read that) or tutorial (I live for those lol). I think if the creator of the game went back thru the beginning and "helped" a little more it might be more enjoyable.

Now as for the story content/subject that everyone is objecting too, I can only say this. You control your mouse. You control whether you select buy or not. No one else controls that. Only you. So if you are gonna moan about buying a game and not liking the subject or the story line than that's your own wine and I'm sorry, I'm out of cheese.

There have been other games on this site that not everyone has agreed with. That's the whole point! I'd hate to think everyone was just like me, cuz man, one of me is enough I think. Everyone has different likes/dislikes, tastes/distastes, and I truly think BFG is doing a fine job trying to make sure there is something for everyone's tastes! Instead of condemning them, just tell them thank you and wait for the next game!

Ok this has become a long winded post. I just wanted to add my views on the play of the game besides the controversy on it.

Oh yeah, I was the fat kid that endured being beaten by drum sticks in school ... we all have a story to tell ... we are all special, this game might be someone's release on reality for awhile.

Anyways, off to go play one of my games for a bit.

 
roodypooh2
Clownfish
Clownfish
674 Posts

Re:TGT - Dangerous High School Girls

[Post New]by roodypooh2 on Jan 27, 09 3:40 PM
Alrighty then, I've seen this game on another site for a while now but never played it because it didn't sound interesting to me. With all this hype I just had to give it a try. Not my cup of tea, but not as bad as the blurb made it out to be either. Some people will like it, others won't. Diversity is what makes the world go round.

 

Re:TGT - Dangerous High School Girls

[Post New]by sarahlowe on Jan 27, 09 3:43 PM
For me it's not just the taunting that is the issue, it is the idea that it is ok ( and normal?) for girls to be small minded, back biting, self serving and malicious. It compounds the idea that girls don't respect other girls and do what is necessary to furthur their own agendas at the expense of others.
I won't be buying it.

 
juliamadeane
Flounder
Flounder
2,137 Posts

Re:TGT - Dangerous High School Girls

[Post New]by juliamadeane on Jan 27, 09 3:50 PM
sarahlowe wrote:For me it's not just the taunting that is the issue, it is the idea that it is ok ( and normal?) for girls to be small minded, back biting, self serving and malicious. It compounds the idea that girls don't respect other girls and do what is necessary to furthur their own agendas at the expense of others.
I won't be buying it.


I didn't even think about that particular aspect. That is a good point Sarah.

 
penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

Re:TGT - Dangerous High School Girls

[Post New]by penrose47 on Jan 27, 09 4:39 PM
I know a lot of fishies are very upset about some of the names that are being used.

You have to remember this in the 1920's and a lot of the WORDS that they used back then we DO NOT use now.
Back then you DID NOT have the MEDIA, & Political Correctness that you have today.

even in the late 1950' & early 60's you went to High School the bullies used names that we WOULD NEVER USE TODAY!
I was talking to my hubby about the game and he said that it was stating the facts of that time period.

ONE of you said "CRIPPLE" for Handicap that we use today; because in the time frame until 1990's A PERSON WAS CALLED CRIPPLED.
YES. NOT NICE, but it was a bulling name.
"IF" you study history of the past you will find a LOT OF WORDS that is NOT correct TODAY.

A good example Is: GAY back in the past it meant a Happy Person.
I read books from times past, and SOME of you would BE UNHAPPY with said words.
Look at today some of the BULLY"S WORDS that is used.....

I am NOT trying to be Political BECAUSE WE have enough of that in Movies & TV.

I look at the game as history of the time frame it is in......
We have the freedom to buy it!........OR NOT!
Now, I am going to play the demo and learn about history. Some HISTORY WORDS WOULD CURL YOUR HAIR as of today's words.

Happy Gaming
PEN

 
Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

Re:TGT - Dangerous High School Girls

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Jan 27, 09 4:45 PM
juliamadeane wrote:I can see where it would cause discussion in the BFG office as well as here. The description of this game is TERRIBLE. It doesn't come close to describing what the game is about.

Also, when people think of high schools, bullying, taunting . . . I can guarantee that Columbine is in the back of all their minds. This game is so far removed from all of that. The description does not do it justice at all!! Try something like this:

Welcome to the world of the Roaring 20's and the adventures of Teenage Flappers. Follow the exploits of finicky, fussy, female highschool students as they solve mysterious accidents at their school. Facing suspicious adminstrators, atagnoistic intructors, and your own peers, gather and lead your group of friends to expose secrets using the tools teenage girls in the 1920's had in abundance: quick wit, feminine charm, plenty of sass, highly developed sense of fashion and a batted eyelash -- or two!

It was just a quickie!

Jule




Have not yet begun to dig into this continued debate because I just got here, but this is FABULOUS! ...and a perfect descrition of what the game is and I dare say *much* less inflamatory than how it was written. Kudos to thee, Jule!

 
shekon
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

Re:TGT - Dangerous High School Girls

[Post New]by shekon on Jan 27, 09 5:01 PM
My first post though I be at the bottom of the pond; nope didn't like the game and I did play part of the demo. In total very amatur, poor graphics, poor writing.
Felt the message it delivered was, "the only way to fit in is to join/start a gang.

 
Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

Re:TGT - Dangerous High School Girls

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Jan 27, 09 5:10 PM
maabea9116 wrote: When the girl in the wheelchair objects to the new ramp installed for her use, she says it because "having boys carry me is my one thrill!" UGH!!!! How demeaning!

The girls when faced with the task of convincing the girl in the wheelchair to use the ramp said, "well if a cripple wants to drag herself up three steps who are we blah blah...." WOW. That one story sideline is enough for me to NOT ever buy this game. I would never enjoy a game that described someone with a physical handicap as a "cripple" or that the only way she got attention was from using her handicap limitations as a way to get a thrill from the boys.


Ok, horse's mouth time here. I have not yet run across this in the game (which I bought and think is brilliant) but if I had I would have laughed out loud! How shocking! you say? I AM CRIPPLED! I have been, increasingly so (progressive disease) since I was born. So were my brother and sister (2 sisters were "normal") and we had a running joke gag about the "Cripple Club" from which they were excluded. In fact, when younger and still able to walk, it was cool because boys would help me and I got to hang on to them and yes, I enjoyed the excuse. I have kept a sense of humor about life and my crippledom or I would not have made it to England, Hawaii, Alaska, Mexico. The "Queen" of my gang is the one in the wheelchair! I thought it was beyond cool they had her. I enjoy the heck outta this game and love it all the more knowing this was in there, just dissapointed I hadn't seen this encounter actually in the game.

*Poodle thumbing her nose at political correctness BS*

 
maabea9116
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

Re:TGT - Dangerous High School Girls

[Post New]by maabea9116 on Jan 27, 09 5:28 PM
Poodlebear wrote:
maabea9116 wrote: When the girl in the wheelchair objects to the new ramp installed for her use, she says it because "having boys carry me is my one thrill!" UGH!!!! How demeaning! The girls when faced with the task of convincing the girl in the wheelchair to use the ramp said, "well if a cripple wants to drag herself up three steps who are we blah blah...." WOW. That one story sideline is enough for me to NOT ever buy this game. I would never enjoy a game that described someone with a physical handicap as a "cripple" or that the only way she got attention was from using her handicap limitations as a way to get a thrill from the boys.
Ok, horse's mouth time here. I have not yet run across this in the game (which I bought and think is brilliant) but if I had I would have laughed out loud! How shocking! you say? I AM CRIPPLED! I have been, increasingly so (progressive disease) since I was born. So were my brother and sister (2 sisters were "normal") and we had a running joke gag about the "Cripple Club" from which they were excluded. In fact, when younger and still able to walk, it was cool because boys would help me and I got to hang on to them and yes,
*Poodle thumbing her nose at political correctness BS*

While I would never "thumb my nose" at YOUR opinion, I will restate my own. One that I don't feel I have to give myself creds in order to do so. I just don't go there, no need. In my opinion to use derogatory words to describe anyone's race, creed, sexual orientation, differently abled etc. friend or foe or self is wrong and I stand against that. I am usually very anti Political Correctness, it goes too far. However, there is also the real problem of some who don't go far enough in promoting positive versus negative.
As to the poster that said, it was a different time... Like I said, if they used a roaring twenties era word to describe a minority would you buy the game? Nuf said..... Historical games can have proper perspective and also not be negative in nature.
If anyone finds enjoyment in the game then I respect their opinion while at the same time reserving my right to state why I didn't enjoy the game and wouldn't recommend it.

Edited on 01/27/2009 at 5:31:50 PM PST


 
Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

Re:TGT - Dangerous High School Girls

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Jan 27, 09 5:41 PM
maabea9116 wrote:
Poodlebear wrote:
maabea9116 wrote: When the girl in the wheelchair objects to the new ramp installed for her use, she says it because "having boys carry me is my one thrill!" UGH!!!! How demeaning! The girls when faced with the task of convincing the girl in the wheelchair to use the ramp said, "well if a cripple wants to drag herself up three steps who are we blah blah...." WOW. That one story sideline is enough for me to NOT ever buy this game. I would never enjoy a game that described someone with a physical handicap as a "cripple" or that the only way she got attention was from using her handicap limitations as a way to get a thrill from the boys.
Ok, horse's mouth time here. I have not yet run across this in the game (which I bought and think is brilliant) but if I had I would have laughed out loud! How shocking! you say? I AM CRIPPLED! I have been, increasingly so (progressive disease) since I was born. So were my brother and sister (2 sisters were "normal") and we had a running joke gag about the "Cripple Club" from which they were excluded. In fact, when younger and still able to walk, it was cool because boys would help me and I got to hang on to them and yes,
*Poodle thumbing her nose at political correctness BS*

While I would never "thumb my nose" at YOUR opinion, I will restate my own. One that I don't feel I have to give myself creds in order to do so. I just don't go there, no need. In my opinion to use derogatory words to describe anyone's race, creed, sexual orientation, differently abled etc. friend or foe or self is wrong and I stand against that. I am usually very anti Political Correctness, it goes too far. However, there is also the real problem of some who don't go far enough in promoting positive versus negative.
As to the poster that said, it was a different time... Like I said, if they used a roaring twenties era word to describe a minority would you buy the game? Nuf said..... Historical games can have proper perspective and also not be negative in nature.
If anyone finds enjoyment in the game then I respect their opinion while at the same time reserving my right to state why I didn't enjoy the game and wouldn't recommend it.

Sorry, yes you are right, I apologize, you are entitled to you opinion. The thumbing was not directed at you specifically, but I can see how it read that way.

 
Mojave_Rain
Shark
Shark
10,693 Posts

Re:TGT - Dangerous High School Girls

[Post New]by Mojave_Rain on Jan 27, 09 5:41 PM
::poking head up very cautiously:: Okay so I read the initial blurb and thought "ugh" then I thought "it's just a game and I want to try something new" THEN I downloaded and the darn thing won't move out of teeny tiny window mode for me. Hah sorry folks but my main concern here is if anyone else is having troubles getting it to work properly?

 
Rose427
Stingray
Stingray
4,519 Posts

Re:TGT - Dangerous High School Girls

[Post New]by Rose427 on Jan 27, 09 5:43 PM
I liked the graphics, and it could have been cute, but I did not agree with the dialogue. The dialogue could have been a lot smarter in my opinion, maybe my expectations are too high.
I love the 1920s so I am at least impressed to see a game going for the style.

 
suzangh
Shark
Shark
10,217 Posts

Re:TGT - Dangerous High School Girls

[Post New]by suzangh on Jan 27, 09 5:45 PM
Okay I just have to say this (having not played yet)....

So if you are gonna moan about buying a game and not liking the subject or the story line than that's your own wine and I'm sorry, I'm out of cheese.


ROFLMFOPIMP! You are a BAD FISH! Go to the bench!


Regarding the comment about the girls making fun of the "cripple"...
I have known many "Handicapped" people in my lifetime and nearly ALL of them would say WAY worse things about themselves and their friends joined in.
Now, having said that, I'm not dissing your opinion nor your appallment (is that even a word?) at this being in a game. Everyone is entitled to their own emotions and opinions. However NO ONE PERSON'S opinion is the RIGHT one.

Based solely on the comments from people who've played the game, I can agree that the blurb was poorly thought out as it evidently gave the wrong impression.

I've DLed the game and intend to play the demo even though I'm pretty sure it won't be for me. That is not to say it's a bad game, just one I won't like.
For every single game there is someone who will like it. And someone who won't.

End of my comments, send me to the bench coach!

 
 
 
 
Go to: