Anniejo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,109 Posts

Re:TGT - Coyote`s Tale: Fire and Water

[Post New]by Anniejo on Jan 29, 09 2:10 PM
You are lucky lordkalvan, it took me 30 mins. Was in the middle of the demo and had to come out for a phone call, and had a problem trying to get out.

[Post New]by gina08 on Jan 29, 09 2:23 PM
My game download was not without it's problems also. It kept saying "download interupted" and I would have to restart the d/l several times but it did not seem to affect game play, I have made it through the first hour with no problems. The first half was bad downloading but once I got it to about 40% it only took about 20 minutes to finish.

suzangh
Shark
Shark
10,217 Posts

[Post New]by suzangh on Jan 29, 09 2:29 PM
patecatl_eq wrote:
suzangh wrote:just to add my 2 cents here.
This game was not exciting for me.

I do like the image/list feature though. I don't like the whole flowers thing. And you can only get one hint until the 'god' gives you another heart? Weird. Okay, anyway, not for me.
Maybe it gets better later but I think I'll use my next credit for mystery p.i. instead.

Thanks for your time!

Thanks for your time and feedback, suzangh! Maybe our next game will be more your style.

Don't take my post wrong please. I don't think the game is bad. It's just not for me. The only thing that I'd change for the folks who like this game is the automatic hint system, and maybe not quite so dark in some of the scenes.
Like I said before I only played the demo so don't know if the game gets better along the way or not.
Thanks for putting it out there for us to try and for jumping on this thread to see what we all have to say!
Susan

[Post New]by patecatl_eq on Jan 29, 09 2:50 PM
suzangh wrote:Don't take my post wrong please. I don't think the game is bad. It's just not for me.

No worries at all. There are plenty of games that aren't for me, too.

Being able to help create games is wonderful... but I'd never presume that we could make a perfect game. There's always room for improvement.

I'm very proud of CT, but I'll always be pushing to make our next game even better.

prose_2
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by prose_2 on Jan 29, 09 3:05 PM
The hummingbird was very cute and I laughed at the old crone . I really like the coyote stories. I for one think the story line with the grahic is addorable, its not like i'm coming in here to read Great Expectations, lol. Hope I didn't offend anyone by saying that I'm just seeing this game as a comic strip and I find it amusing.

Your mini games are different and interested but kind of easy. The last one before the jaguar god, ball rolling in maze, was one I hadn't played in an HO game but I'm rather new to the games. There were a couple, the fire and the capture, mini's I thought were very good. The game is much longer than I thought it would be. I noticed I'm looking for 120 items in a chapter now instead of like the begining 60.

Almost done and I still give this game a

looloo123
Stingray
Stingray
5,004 Posts

[Post New]by looloo123 on Jan 29, 09 3:09 PM
Thank you poodle, i always appreciate your input on a game.your descriptions of games has saved me a lot of time.

[Post New]by Basketcase327 on Jan 29, 09 3:10 PM
I just finished the demo and enjoyed my game play. I read and listened to everything so I might not have got as far as I normally would. I usually don't do that in a demo, but after reading all the comments I thought it would be a good idea.
Pros:
Nice story (a little silly at this moment), really nice music, nice graphics. The dark screen doesn't bother me. I usually have to tilt the top of my screen in MCF games, too.
I think if you play in list mode instead of image it is a little harder for those who think it is too easy.
Nice mini games, not difficult enough yet, but hopefully as game progresses they will take a little more thought. Love that they are a different take on the same old ones we are used to playing.
Love the option of timed or untimed and very smart of you to have both play different for each girl. I prefer timed, but since I read that both girls experience something different, that gives it replay value and I will try relaxed mode.
Cons:
Do not like the hint system at all! I want to find items on my on in the time given. Hate when I get those sparkles or whatever in games.

Someone mentioned earlier about options. I think the best thing developers can do for their product is to offer every option available. As you can see we are a bunch of women who know what we like in a game. The more options you can cover, the better we'll like it. That means more games for us to enjoy and more money in your pocket!!

BTW, no cursor problem or download issues. I will be buying.

cesse47
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,099 Posts

[Post New]by cesse47 on Jan 29, 09 3:13 PM
Tried the demo. No d/l or cursor issues. All of my pros and cons have already been mentioned so won't restate. Just decided it's not a game for me.

prose_2
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by prose_2 on Jan 29, 09 3:15 PM
I forgot to add that I only click on four flowers and watch how fast I click on other items so I don't get an unwanted hint then if I'm stuck on finding something I click on the fifth flower or three other items fast and the item I'm stuck on gets found. So I'm not a big fan of instant hint but I found a way around it.

NancyJ7253
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by NancyJ7253 on Jan 29, 09 3:20 PM
Thanks lordkalvan for your input. The only reason I was noticing how long it took was that I was checking e-mail, doing laundry, eating lunch and a few other mundane tasks the whole time it was downloading and it did take a lot longer than normal. It did finally get finished downloading. It's not a bad game. I like hunting for the objects with the 2 different lists (words/image) and being able to switch between them. The mini-games are okay but not great. I think I'll go ahead and buy it just so I can finish to the end. I've been playing in the relaxed mode and really haven't minded the hint thing that's been talked about in some of the other posts. The acting/talking are rather annoying but the actual hunt for objects is probably the best part.

Aka21
Flounder
Flounder
2,025 Posts

[Post New]by Aka21 on Jan 29, 09 3:42 PM
I had no problems with download or cursor. I played for 30 minutes. I didn’t care for the hint method or the inability to skip the story. Having to listen to most of the story just eats up time during a free trial.

I liked the choice of timed/relaxed. Some of the scenes were a little dark. Having a choice on the items list was good.

My problem with the game came when I tried to quit. This should be simple from anywhere in any game. After I hit the quit button on the main screen, it bogged down and finally seemed to close. My desktop had a strange look, so I went to task manager and found the game still there as “not responding”. After several tries, the task manager closed the game.

As this is the first time this has happened with a BF game, I uninstalled the game and rebooted. I won’t be buying.

After reading the reviews here, I would not have tried the game except the developer visited with us. I appreciate the time spent giving us proof that a developer is interested in our opinion.

[Post New]by patecatl_eq on Jan 29, 09 3:54 PM
prose_2 wrote:I forgot to add that I only click on four flowers and watch how fast I click on other items so I don't get an unwanted hint then if I'm stuck on finding something I click on the fifth flower or three other items fast and the item I'm stuck on gets found. So I'm not a big fan of instant hint but I found a way around it.

I'm glad you're using this method actually! It is one of the strategic ways to use the flowers in the game and is an intended option.

Personally, I like going really fast through hidden object games and finding things as quickly as possible. So I will often use whatever hint system is in place fairly often.

One of my favorite gifts from the gods is an item that helps increase the pace of the game. It's also good for those objects that you've seen once before.

--

More Coyote's Tale trivia!

The two sisters are named Tletl and Atl. Their names mean "Fire" and "Water" in the Aztec language. Tletls staff makes a burning effect when an object is clicked on, and Atl's staff causes the item to disappear in a splash of water.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Jan 29, 09 4:05 PM
A lot of us like to play slowly, and find all the items ourselves. We get a BIG kick out of seeing how many hints we can rack up by the end, in games that allow the unused hints to rollover to the next level, particularly when we can earn extra ones by finding 3 items fast.

I know for this game you have the heart symbols to show hints, but for your next game, if you just had a single heart and room for a number (up to 3 digits) then you wouldn't have to force us to decide between either skipping the pleasure of finding each item ourselves or finding all those flowers in the scene.

k8edidnt
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by k8edidnt on Jan 29, 09 4:05 PM
i have purchased most of the HO games that BFG has as long as they take awhile to play and have something to keep me interested. I bought this one because I learned during demo that automatic hints stopped after first couple of levels but the cursor seemed slow and as the game progressed got more erratic and uncontrollable. Uninstalled and reinstalled but no help. Waited for a total of 45 people in que for chat (hit cancel by accident during first wait) and became no.1 and stayed at that for 15 minutes. I finally cancelled. I hope someone posts when cursor glitch is fixed because it really is unplayable like this. Read all your posts everyday and appreciate the content.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Jan 29, 09 4:09 PM
k8edidnt, I strongly suggest that you email customer support. It may take several days for somebody to get back to you, but if you run DxDiag and attach the saved output to your initial email it can shorten the number of emails back and forth.

[Post New]by patecatl_eq on Jan 29, 09 4:12 PM
lordkalvan wrote:A lot of us like to play slowly, and find all the items ourselves. We get a BIG kick out of seeing how many hints we can rack up by the end, in games that allow the unused hints to rollover to the next level, particularly when we can earn extra ones by finding 3 items fast.

I know for this game you have the heart symbols to show hints, but for your next game, if you just had a single heart and room for a number (up to 3 digits) then you wouldn't have to force us to decide between either skipping the pleasure of finding each item ourselves or finding all those flowers in the scene.

Thanks for the input, lordkalvan. I will definitely keep this in mind as we produce future HO games.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Jan 29, 09 4:28 PM
patecatl_eq wrote: On a different note, here's some Coyote's Tale trivia!

'Max' (the god of games and gambling) is short for Macuilxochitl. His name means "Prince of the Five Flowers". And that is why he has you look for five flowers before earning another hint.

Hey, Matt!

Thanks so much for stopping by to listen to our experiences. The game will stay in my maybe pile and will more than likely be bought. This is given a better chance by just your being here and acknowledging your users.

I responded with the quote above becasue I suspected all of the story was based in real mythology, though from several cultures, which is very cool. I knew about Coyote and recognized some of the stories and did have a chuckle over the quip about trying to pronounce the Aztec/Mayan names. I also figured they had to be real mythologies because some were so odd, like the lizard with no lower jaw and the guy with a mirror for his foot. Buuuut I gotta say the "humorfication" of those stories pretty much left me flat. Not that humor is bad, even silly humor (was just playing Tradewinds Legends and lolling up a storm) but sorry, I don't think this was very well written. Even with that, though, as a dyed in the wool story in game fan, it would have been ok if I did not have to listen to the abysmal voice acting. Sorry, it's true. In the future opt for a no voice option, or don't bother with the extra code and expense of voice acting. I can read fine thanks, and I think all those interesed in story won't mind reading it. The main characters sounded like friends someone brought in just to read off a script. The 5 gods I encountered were not quite as bad but since we heard those main 4 more than any other this was a small compensation. I began skipping all dialog and I NEVER skip dialog.

SO this game had some very positive points - Relaxed, interesting hint system (I like the find the flowers, don't like instant reveled objects) impetus to continue with different mini-games and prizes from the gods, great overall art though characters not so great and didn't match feel of the rest, and a developer who cares what we think.

Not so good, see above and my review first page top.

suzangh
Shark
Shark
10,217 Posts

[Post New]by suzangh on Jan 29, 09 4:33 PM
*thinks BFG or game developers should hire poodle to critique BEFORE releasing games!

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Jan 29, 09 4:37 PM
Oh, wanted to add that the game ran perfectly for me, no glitches. I do have an older "gaming system", very much older actually, but thought I'd put my basic system info:

System Specs:
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3
2.15 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
2 Gigabytes Memory
RADEON X1650 PRO Video Card
Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM) Sound Card
Logitech "Gamers Choice" G5 Laser Mouse (which I can adjust on the fly but did not need to)

Wondering if the folks with problems have newer systems with Vista. I also have the updated DIrectX from December and newest Radeon drivers.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Jan 29, 09 4:41 PM
suzangh wrote:*thinks BFG or game developers should hire poodle to critique BEFORE releasing games!

*thinks that would be the ultimate dream job

Go to: