Hello from developers!

Dev_V
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

Re:Hello from developers!

[Post New]by Dev_V on Jan 8, 13 11:38 AM
Hi minesita!

Thanks for the review and your warm congratulations! As for changes - well, I think that refusing to change means stagnation which is very bad to any dev team. Every new project should raise some new challenges and new barriers to overcome; personally I don't want to make an assembly line out of video games development - that will just kill all the fun. Just imagine the game made by developers that got bored with their job - how will people feel while playing it? That's the main reason why I'm here - we definitely need to change all the time and you the players are the ones who can point us the direction. But don't worry - that doesn't mean we're going commercialize to the damage of the story or gameplay; we do love playing games by ourselves too much to let this happen

Edited on 01/08/2013 at 12:33:23 PM PST

lynne8179
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,322 Posts

[Post New]by lynne8179 on Jan 8, 13 8:54 PM
dev v will there be a fix for the problem with the archivist not giving the key and postman doll? i skipped the puzzle and now he has nothing for me!

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jan 9, 13 3:01 AM
Hi lynne8179,

I am sorry to see you have had this issue.

Because it is very difficult to provide exact advice for tech issues via the Forum, my best advice would be to contact Tech Support about this.

This will allow us to investigate the situation with the developer and provide advice tailored to your issue.

Thanks!

bfgBaikal

lynne8179
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,322 Posts

[Post New]by lynne8179 on Jan 9, 13 7:42 AM
thanks baikal but i am not the only one with this issue!

skamosha
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by skamosha on Jan 9, 13 3:29 PM
This is impossible. Have swung the mace a million times. Tried holding the mouse button down as suggested but as soon as I touch the mouse button the mace starts to swing. Never even comes close to the statue's head. and there is NO SKIP BUTTON for this.

Was thoroughly enjoying this game, even bought the previous one and played it first. But now I am completely frustrated and angry at not being able to proceed. Endless repetition (if, indeed, that is the answer to this) is not clever gameplay, certainly not worthy of a CE.

I was already upset at the assembly of the robe, when I evidently didn't have the pieces on precisely the right pixel even after numerous attempts. At least there was a skip button there.

If I'm just being stupid and there's an achievable answer for this swinging mace puzzle I wish the developer would post it here. If not, I'm going to be asking for my money back.

Dev_V
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_V on Jan 9, 13 4:03 PM
Hi lynne8179!

I'm sorry to hear that you've encountered a problem playing this game too
However, bfgBaikal is absolutely right - you should contact the BFG tech support first as these guys are the ones who make decision on game updates. From our side I promise we'll do our best to provide a fix on their first demand. I hope that together we will solve this issue and you can complete the game!

Dev_V
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_V on Jan 9, 13 4:24 PM
Hi skamosha!

I'm very sad to hear what we've put you through with this swinging mace Actually, it was intented to be a simple but a bit different interaction - not even a puzzle or a minigame so we never thought about a skip button. Still, I'm agree with you - we may overdid this.

I hope that moderator will forgive me this little explanation (I suppose this one doesn't count as a tech-related topic?) as some people were struggling through this part. Well, you doesn't need to random click or hold the mouse button - the trick is timing. We thought of this as of giving a momentum to a heavy object hanging on a chain (mace). So, when you first click the mace it makes it's first swing. Then, when mace returns to it's initial position (but before it completely stops) you should click it once again thus swinging it harder. Then again, you repeat the trick second time (the mace is still moving!) so the third swing leads the mace to break the statue's head off.

I hope this little advice will help you. Once again - sorry for any inconvenience!

skamosha
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by skamosha on Jan 9, 13 6:39 PM
thanks for your reply -- hope you don't get in trouble with the fish! I actually tried this concept, but maybe I didn't get it quite right and will give it another go. Wish me luck -- and seriously consider a skip button in the next version!

skamosha
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by skamosha on Jan 9, 13 7:32 PM
Eureka! Finally got the mace to break the statue. Took quite a few tries, though. Seemed I couldn't get the mouse to click until the mace stopped moving, then finally it just worked. Maybe a bigger "sweet spot" to click on might be helpful.

Anyway, thanks again ever so much for taking the time to instruct me on how to do this. If I didn't know this was the way to go for sure I would have given up altogether.

Now off to enjoy the rest of the game!

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Jan 10, 13 1:08 AM
Hi, Vlad.

That's very nice that you're here and responsive to everyone. Thanks.

The one thing I liked about the game was that there were very few HOS in the game. I HATE HOS and if there are none in the game, that's the best for me. I prefer pure Adventure, which is basically what your latest game is, so that is good.

Also, I liked the first Nightmare Realm, but sorry to say that I do not like the latest one. I liked the fact that you are thinking outside the box and that the game is different, but here are the things I don't like about the game.

First, for me, I don't like the graphics that much. They are too "dreamlike" and a bit blurry. Some people like that, but I prefer sharp and crisp graphics, but the graphics weren't that big a deal. The second thing is that this is the very first CE I have played that did not come with a Strategy Guide and I think it needs one. Third, the Hint system is too cryptic. I got stuck many times and the Hint usually didn't help. When I am stuck, I want to be told exactly what to do.

But the biggest problem with the game is that it is very slow and very buggy. I have had tons of problems with it, and they are not tech support issues; they are problems with the game. Look at all the threads here and you will see that many people had the same problems that I did. Towards the beginning, the Fountain scene was all scrambled and you couldn't see anything. Then I exited the game and came back and the scene was okay. Then, the Menu stops working sometimes, so I have to use Task manager to exit the game. Then, the next time, the Menu works. Then, I couldn't figure out what to do with the lever in the Post Office and the Hint didn't help me. I left a message here and another user told me exactly what to do. The Hint should have done that. Now, I have all 4 figurines for the chessboard, but still can't proceed with the game. The Hint says to put the figurines on the chessboard, but I already did that and there is nothing else to do, so I am stuck.

I don't mean to be harsh, but I have been trying to complete this game for a week, but I can't because of all the problems.

With all due respect, unfortunately, that has been my experience with the game.

Thanks for listening, Vlad.

Dev_V
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_V on Jan 10, 13 5:03 AM
Hi Dominick_Fontana!

First of all - thank you for being so specific on things you don't like about our game. The reasonable critics is always welcome because it shows us the ways to improve our games so we really appreciate it.

While looking through the forum threads I obviously see some problems that may occure while playing NRITE; also, I've talked to many people who completed the game with no glitches at all. I suppose it was a series of misfortunate events for you as I see you was so unlucky to face nearly every issue that could emerge upon your way. I'm sure you could be a great beta tester if you wanted to! Now speaking seriously, I'm really sorry to hear you've encountered all this issues. I'm not going to look for excuses; I only hope that update will resolve the things you've pointed out. I also would like to ask if maybe you could PM me some other hints you found vague (of course, if you have time and are willing to help us with that) so we amend them for our next version.

As for strategy guide missing - I think you need to contact the BFG customer service as I guarantee there should be one in NRITE. There is no CE-game on Big Fish site without strategy guide, that's for sure.

Once again - sorry for any inconvenience and thanks for the critics. When we see such a large and specific post that could mean only one thing - it was written by the one who really cares for the video games and want them to be better. I guess we are on the same page with you here

Edited on 01/10/2013 at 5:08:26 AM PST

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Jan 11, 13 12:48 AM
Hi, Vlad.

Thanks for understanding. Yes, I am always very thorough. haha. Okay, I can PM you some additional things. With the Strategy Guide, I just found out from another thread, that indeed it is included with the game. But for myself, and at least the other person who started the thread that there was no SG, it does not appear under the Hint button, as others said that's where it should be. And you're right, I think I did have a problem with each possible thing that I could have. But as you said, other people finished the game with no problem.

I am not a casual gamer. I've been playing video games since 1977 with the original Atari 2600 VCS and Pong, so I have been around the block a few times. haha. Also, years ago, I was the Breakout champion.

Okay, I'll PM you some things over the weekend and thanks so much for listening, for your politeness, and your interest.

reddleman
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by reddleman on Jan 11, 13 10:45 AM
Hi Vlad, I totally loved this game. Especially the puzzles. I love puzzles that makes me work my brain. And this game had them. I can't wait for the next game you guys put out. Keep up the good work. And i must say this game had a very interesting storyline and I liked the way the bonus chapter explained how it all started. Most bonus games have nothing to do with the game but just an extra thrown in to get people to buy the collector's edition. Once again, thanks and keep the games coming.

Dev_V
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_V on Jan 11, 13 1:58 PM
Hi reddleman!

Thank you! We're really happy you liked the bonus chapter. Actually, it was a tough challenge for us as we want it to be more bright and colorful in contrast with the main game; still, the story itself should be even more sad in some way so it took us some time to figure how the game should look and feel here. And you're totally right - bonus chapter definitely must add up to the main story; that's how we feel being players ourselves

Hope you won't be disappointed with our next game! It's always a pleasure to have such an audience on your side

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Jan 11, 13 9:35 PM
Thank you Vlad for answer me! I didt'n mean to say don't evolve on your games! Of course it should be! I meant don't change on your high standards and quality of your games!
Sorry for the misunderstanding, but English is my 2nd. language Sometimes I can't express properly my feelings and that is the problem!
Thank you to answer to everybody, many Devs. shoud imitate you!
Have a nice weekend

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Jan 13, 13 2:37 PM
Hi Vlad ,
First I would like to say congratulations, on doing such a fine job, on NRITE, AWESOME work IMHO...LOVED IT !!
I am totally into magical, fantasy, type games, and I have to say, this one blew me away, it was that good .
Everyone has their favorite type of game, this game was my absolute favorite type, there were many AH HA moments, while playing this gorgeous game, I love eye candy, and this was full of it, which is what I love, but it also made you use your brain, so the combination IMHO, was BRILLIANT, and what a true CE, should be.
Yes, I am one who also likes a lot of H0 scene's, would have liked to have seen more of those, only because the few that you did were the best, I've come across, in a game, WOW..they were so FUN, now that is interaction, at it's best .
I literally stopped a few times, and thought to myself, now these are some very talented developers, I was just amazed, I thought OMG this is just unbeliveable, in the best possible way..lol .
I LOVED the first NR, and I also LOVED, this one, the only negative that I found in the entire game, was the fact, that the skip button, does need to refill faster, and the game did run a little slow, which I just used a little patience, and was able to complete, the main game, and the bonus, by letting everything catch up on its own.
It was so worth it, as this game had such engaging game play, the H0 scenes were the best, and I was so impressed, with the gorgeous artwork and graphics, the puzzles were imaginative, creative, and a blast to figure out, and that is coming from someone who is not a puzzle person, but I enjoyed the puzzles in this one.

Valdy, as a person who loves and lives for, finding AWESOME games such as this, to play, I can't thank you and your team enough, I thought I had done died, and went to gaming heaven..lol .
LOVED every minute of playing this MASTERPEICE, well done IMHO !!

Dev_V
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_V on Jan 15, 13 12:58 PM
Hi quarlesqueen!

Wow! That was one of the most inspiring comment for our team ever! I guess that one rainy day when everything will be falling apart we open the page with your message and I'm sure we'll find a way to break through all the obstacles

Thank you so much for your support! I hope some day we'll be able to pay you back with more games you'll really enjoy

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Jan 16, 13 3:53 AM
Hi Vlad.....
I hope you are still checking this thread.
I want to say that I enjoyed this version of Nightmare Realm more than the first.
I thought the art work, the puzzles, the story and the music were marvelous....
really giving a ream like quality to everything and I spent a long time enjoying each scene your team worked and lavished such care upon.
I am an artist, used to teach design, color and drawing at a college, so mine is not faint praise.

do I have any complaints about the game?
yes, I thought some of the puzzles were way to difficult and because there was no reset button, I had to skip them.
I few didn't have the option to skip and that made me and a lot of other players frustrated to tears.
One last criticism....I thought the instructions for playing the games and the solution descriptions in the Strategy Guide were too vague to be of much help in trying to solve those puzzles that were so troublesome.
I don't know why you had a reset on some games and none on others, but some consistency would have been nice.

I found many of the scenes and games reminiscent of the Drawn Series, which is one of my favorites, for capturing child like wonder and innocence without foregoing adult gaming pleasure.

Dev_V
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Dev_V on Jan 16, 13 3:23 PM
Hi tookat!

How can I stop checking this thread if there still are such useful opinions?

We'll definitely include reset button in all puzzles in our future games - that's the thing we've already agreed within our team. And we'll try provide some extra work on hints and insructions for our future titles too so I hope you won't get frustrated playing it

And thanks so much for your compliments! I'll pass them on to our girls - they'll definitely appreciate such kind words from their colleague!

MissMoraduke
Guppy
Guppy
198 Posts

[Post New]by MissMoraduke on Jan 17, 13 12:55 PM
Thought I would drop in and say I finished the game and I loved it, so beautiful and so much imagination, how do you guys do that? For all the comments about the game, I fully agree,I had no trouble playing it, ran perfectly smooth, and loved the bonus game, not to long, just right and so pretty. Thank You very much and I will be buying the next one. You guys are great!!!!

Go to: