cbellcrm
Clownfish
Clownfish
818 Posts

Re:IT’S ALWAYS GOOD TO KNOW!

[Post New]by cbellcrm on May 7, 13 1:40 PM
Continued from above

Re Fan inventory
In most games when I move the cursor to the bottom of the screen trying to go back to the previous location, I get the inventory, and when I want the inventory, I get the navigation arrow. I actually liked the fan inventory for that reason. If ERS makes more PuppetShow games, I hope they keep it with a few improvements, such as opening with mouse-over and easier scrolling, not a click for each inventory item over 5. It had to take a lot of effort to not have any gameplay under the area occupied by the fan, and I appreciate that.

Re Puzzles
On the mini-games, let me give an example of good and bad mini-games. The tower of Hanoi puzzle using colored disks with pictures of dolls is an example of a good game. It’s a standard game type. It’s easy (just four levels). But it is graphically appealing and fits into the theme of the game. It is familiar with a twist. Moving the train cars at the tram station is another example. However, having a jigsaw puzzle with only six pieces is bad. It is mind-numbingly easy. It had nothing original about it at all. Maybe if it had been oval shaped and had ten pieces and had a picture more appropriate, but as it was it was just a bad mini-game. Games too difficult can be skipped. Games like this can only be cursed.

cbellcrm
Clownfish
Clownfish
818 Posts

[Post New]by cbellcrm on May 7, 13 6:40 PM
Because of all the negative comments about the hats, I thought I'd mention that I think it is a GREAT idea - just not for a game like PuppetShow. It would be a wonderful addition, however, to a light-hearted game like Steve the Sheriff.

[Post New]by IamaGameJunkie on May 21, 13 2:30 AM
This was originally posted in the Redemption Cemetery: Salvation of the Lost CE Review Section....

I have been an ERS fan since their first game until about 6 months ago. Always had wide screen/sharp graphics when that seemed to be the opposite of most reviewers. Unfortunately, sequels aren't sequels anymore, now they are just open ended games. Not just this title, but also Puppetville. Played demos on both....was surprised to see this game has only 63 very short half pages for a strategy guide including the bonus!
This game and the lastest Puppetville are a no buy for me, even though I have all the previous games in their respective series....just getting tired of the same ole cemetery and puppet spiders. Bought the previous titles of both because I THOUGHT it was about time for both to end.

I'm buying the latest Isabella because it says the trilogy ENDS with the latest title. Thank you for including that in the game description! That's a first!
Trilogies...OK.....and so are games like "Dark Parables", "Secrets of the Dark", etc. "Secrets" is a good example of a complete game with an ending, but it continues on in a different location/similar slightly different story... but it ends!
It's the never ending (no longer compelling) story lines that go nowhere that are getting to me. This is the first time I've written anything negative about ERS, because this M.O. has finally gotten to me.
Glad 2 people posted the bonus portion info (basically the same).....I don't usually highlight spoiler alerts, but this time I did, and have to give a shout out to the person for going indepth and glad I read it. That sealed the deal for me....sounds like another one in this series is all ready for release. If I do end up buying.....it will be the SE so I can end the Redemption series now....

Oh well, sometimes all good things have to come to an end. But when?!?!?!
UPDATE:
After reading that Puppet Show 5 is THE END as far as the 2 characters go, I won't buy #5. The ending was appropriate in #4.....as someone posted in the reviews "we'll be playing game #999" (something to that effect). I prefer to end the series with number #4.

Edited on 05/25/2013 at 5:39:27 AM PST

KeysPirate
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by KeysPirate on Jan 20, 14 9:36 AM
Obviously, I am a little late in playing this game, but am hoping ERS is still out there listening.

I love this game. I could go on and on about all the great stuff, not the least of which are the artwork and really fun puzzles, but the quality that makes your games stand out above all others is the CLEVERNESS . I am continually surprised and delighted by the bizarre things you put in the HO scenes as well as the game locations. I love the mechanical gizmos and the cardboard cutouts.

There are some little misnomers and glitches here and there (wish I could have been a Beta tester for you) but none are serious. EXCEPT...

...The circle puzzle on the submarine or blimp or whatever it is. I am hopelessly stuck and frustrated, because I really do not want to skip it.

Having searched through the Forums, I see that others have gotten stuck, but mostly on the 4th circle. I'm stuck on the 3rd. The outer blue circle will not move as it is apparently supposed to. I followed the SG instructions to no avail.

I am wondering if this has anything to do with the fact that I started the puzzle before getting the dynamite. The game did allow me to start, but then everything froze, so I resorted to the SG, which alerted me to the HO scene at the shack.

Then when I went back to the circle puzzle, I was able to get through the first and second ones (have no idea how, as the in-out buttons didn't seem to do anything), but all I can do in the 3rd one is move the inner two blue circles back and forth between the blockers.

I don't think there is anything you could tell me that would help, so I will reluctantly skip it and continue on, but would be very happy if you could confirm that there is a real glitch here. Maybe in future games (and I do hope there will be more Puppet Shows!) you could incorporate a RESET in your puzzles so we at least have a chance to see if starting afresh would help.

KeysPirate
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by KeysPirate on Jan 27, 14 7:20 AM
Update to my earlier review...

After finishing the game I replayed the circle game from the Extras and it worked perfectly. All the levers worked, it was logical, and it wasn't all that hard.

I hope there is a #5. I don't care if there are new or old characters, I just want a good, CLEVER, intriguing game. (But you do need a native English speaker to review your translations...)

Thanks for a great game. I'm now looking for other ERS games that I missed.

Go to: