jj11780
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

Re:Sharing some tips for the game.

[Post New]by jj11780 on Nov 4, 14 9:25 PM
I have one piece of advice for the newest of newbies. Besides reading this thread and the wiki.

This may have been pointed out before but it bears repeating.

Don't let the game steer you. You steer the game. I learned this the hard way.

Once you get into Paris, the game tries to get you to open up several rooms at once. Don't do it. Work your way through the Hotel and the Boat. Ignore the other rooms in Paris for awhile.

The game will have you pulling your hair out for gold and other items if you let it. You decide when you are ready, don't let the game tell you when.

In other words, slow yourself down. Give yourself time to explore the rooms and get to know them before you open up more.

[Post New]by Rapunsell on Nov 5, 14 1:10 PM
One tip I haven't seen mentioned (at least not lately) is that the magic magnifying glass (the gadget that turns the search view finder icy or on fire depending on whether you're close to an item) can be used for more than one item at once.

As long as you don't click on an item to find it, the frozen/aflame effect will keep working for a set amount of time (not sure how long... 30 sec, maybe?) and keep giving you hints to where additional items are. I use it when I've got 2-3 items left and I'm on the verge of pulling my hair out. At the very least, it helps me narrow the search area for those items, and sometimes that's enough.

deadme
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by deadme on Dec 4, 14 8:32 PM
Hello to new players take a look at this thread

Marjasinstar
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,947 Posts

[Post New]by Marjasinstar on Jan 23, 15 4:45 PM
Rapunsell wrote:One tip I haven't seen mentioned (at least not lately) is that the magic magnifying glass (the gadget that turns the search view finder icy or on fire depending on whether you're close to an item) can be used for more than one item at once.

As long as you don't click on an item to find it, the frozen/aflame effect will keep working for a set amount of time (not sure how long... 30 sec, maybe?) and keep giving you hints to where additional items are. I use it when I've got 2-3 items left and I'm on the verge of pulling my hair out. At the very least, it helps me narrow the search area for those items, and sometimes that's enough.

Great idea that I have now used a few times, especially in a few of the offer rooms where the items where itsy bitsy. See an old dog can learn a few new tricks. Thanks for the heads up, Rapunsell.

SebringSu
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by SebringSu on Jan 23, 15 7:32 PM
Competition Scoring tip for new players..(please excuse if this is a duplicate) I had to ask and have been by others...How can I get my score to increase or how are they getting such high scores?

Looking at the list of items to be found you will find one of the items that has been highlighted, you must find those items in the order as they are highlighted to achieve the higher scores, if you deviate and find items not highlighted you are penalized with very low scores. If you are having trouble finding that item use the BELL to help you find it, most of the time it will point to the item highlighted.

So follow the highlighted items as they appear on the list until they are all gone!
Good Luck

Clashfan78
Clownfish
Clownfish
695 Posts

[Post New]by Clashfan78 on Jan 23, 15 7:45 PM
SebringSu,

Just to be clear when you take the items in the correct order your score is multiplied up to 6. So the first item is worth 10, the next 20 and so forth up to 60. It then resets and starts over again at 10 it also resets if you take an item out of order. So based on where you are in that chain taking an item out of order will effect how many points you lose.

It's much worse to drop the 5th or 6th item for example as opposed to the first one in the chain.

If you play with the sound effects on you can also tell where you are as you get a bell sound that goes up in octave with each item you find.

Just so everyone understands how you're penalized and what the scores actually are.

Edited on 01/23/2015 at 7:46:09 PM PST

faunaspherical
Guppy
Guppy
125 Posts

[Post New]by faunaspherical on Jan 23, 15 9:23 PM
Thank you so much SebringSu and Clashfan78! I was never aware of that in the Competitions. I just thought it would randomly highlight an item and add bonus points. Ha! I just played a competition and took care to follow the highlighted list, and although I was slower ... than my usual slow I got the high score! Well, that is so much fun to know! I can't wait to become more adept at that! Thanks!
------
Just got to say I'm having so much more fun in the Competitions challenging myself with this! This goes down as one of my favorite tips!!!

Edited on 01/23/2015 at 10:37:05 PM PST

SebringSu
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by SebringSu on Jan 24, 15 11:25 AM
Clashfan78 I will have to turn on my sound, it's never been turned on! LOL
Thank you for explaining the scoring, because I did not know.

Thank you so much SebringSu and Clashfan78! I was never aware of that in the Competitions. I just thought it would randomly highlight an item and add bonus points. Ha! I just played a competition and took care to follow the highlighted list, and although I was slower ... than my usual slow I got the high score! Well, that is so much fun to know! I can't wait to become more adept at that! Thanks!

So glad we could help faunaspherical, look forward to seeing you around the Competitions.

mommerj
Clownfish
Clownfish
520 Posts

[Post New]by mommerj on Jan 24, 15 12:38 PM
This may sound like an odd tip, but I find it works quit well.....When I am playing in night mode, I find I can avoid using solar lamps by tilting my laptop screen to an angel that makes the room appear brighter (this doesn't work very well for the rooms that are already very dark, but works well for the lighter colored rooms). This is also much more successful if you are already familiar with the room and know the hiding places of most of the items.

faunaspherical
Guppy
Guppy
125 Posts

[Post New]by faunaspherical on Jan 26, 15 1:58 AM
SebringSu wrote:So glad we could help faunaspherical, look forward to seeing you around the Competitions.

Hey, SebringSu! Fun seeing you in Competitions! It's my new favorite aspect of the game since learning this! The day I learned it, I played Comps so much that I came in 4th for the day's scores!

(I do hope they fix it for multiple players soon. I'm one who has to refresh my screen if I play more than one other player.)

afspam
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
468 Posts

[Post New]by afspam on Jan 26, 15 4:24 AM
SebringSu wrote:... If you are having trouble finding that item use the BELL to help you find it, most of the time it will point to the item highlighted. ...

I actually have not found that the bell works in this way in comps. It always seems completely random to me. If you're searching a regular room, and you search for items in the order they appear in the list, the bell will almost always point to the next one in the list.

But if you're in a comp, the magnifier will always (in my experience) point to the next highlighted item.

faunaspherical
Guppy
Guppy
125 Posts

[Post New]by faunaspherical on Jan 26, 15 10:24 PM
I have a tip for getting Gleaming Almanac items (Jade Camels, Crystal Roses, Padishah's Dream). I save up my Paranormal Traps and Genie's Dwellings for a couple of days and then I'll do a sweep clearing all Ghosts at neighbors places. Without interrupting to click on or do anything else, I'll chase away all Twighlight Genies, then go back and chase away all Ghosts. I'll often get several of each item; Camels, Roses, Padishah's Dream and lots of dragon food.

Marjasinstar
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,947 Posts

[Post New]by Marjasinstar on Feb 2, 15 2:38 PM
This is wonderful advice given by a very sweet experienced high level player. It was posted on another thread but I didn't want it ever getting lost in the shuffle of new threads:

rheashard2 wrote:When I started playing ROM I saw a thread that indicated if a neighbor had nothing on their wish list then send ores or flints. These are two common items that are used to help creatures when visiting. I personally never have enough red buttons, gold masks, ores and flints. I gift backpack items based on; rarity and the number I have. I gift items purchased for gold when I have the gold. Players who advised me way back when informed me that (1) ROM is a 'free' online game. (2) Some neighbors, unknown to you, play for the duels and competitions. They spend minimal time exploring rooms. They will have few if any BP items to gift. (3) To keep the spending of RL funds to $0.00 you need the help and support of neighbors. (4) Neighbors who only request and expect items from your BP increases the potential of spending RL funds. These neighbors are best dropped. (5) If your gaming isn't happy then stop.

[Post New]by starmagicgreen on Feb 2, 15 7:24 PM
mommerj wrote:This may sound like an odd tip, but I find it works quit well.....When I am playing in night mode, I find I can avoid using solar lamps by tilting my laptop screen to an angel that makes the room appear brighter (this doesn't work very well for the rooms that are already very dark, but works well for the lighter colored rooms). This is also much more successful if you are already familiar with the room and know the hiding places of most of the items.

Ditto, mommerj, I do the same as well, good tip. Why waste the always precious solar lamp?

[Post New]by starmagicgreen on Feb 2, 15 7:56 PM
I do have a tip, but its more for players that are beyond a certain level only. I cant exactly say what level you don't need anymore flints, ores, buttons, received as gifts from neighbors to be used feeding creatures at friends places. So the thought is you decide. I believe level 300 is the turning point in the game as far as this discussion goes. At some point you will realize why feed the "Paris" and "TOK" creatures when the drop is minuscule, nothing needed and you're accumulating same items. I know I don't have to point out the gazillion musketeer hats we all have, the nose thingy with the glasses? So I at level 300 or so, stopped feeding them when at neighbors, why bother. I only feed Bellows and Venice creatures exclusively and of course whatever creature quest is out there.
Bellows: Needed to Feed is the Dew: What you want to receive from Unicorn, Tree, Dryad: The heart.
Bellows: What you want to receive from Scarecrow, Lumberjack, Lion: Lots! Corn, etc, everything.
Venice: Needed to Feed is the Mask: Queen, Harlequin, Pirate: The best of the best to receive food to feed the dragons for expeditions.
Ghosts/Genies: To feed these you now can use coins for purchase, and do so freely, lots and lots of good stuff.

One more tip: Dragon Labrinyths: Mayan runes:The rare ones are the black runes.
Use one a trip and only for the upper left corner chest!
Beast Runes: The rare ones are the blue runes. The rarest are the butterfly and the seashell. You may not notice this in early levels, but its a sad fact later on. Use these sparingly or not at all, go around and use others.

Edited on 02/02/2015 at 11:16:58 PM PST

deadme
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by deadme on Feb 2, 15 8:36 PM
starmagicgreen wrote:

One more tip: Dragon Labrinyths: Mayan runes:The rare ones are the black runes.
Use one a trip and only for the upper left corner chest!
Beast Runes: The rare ones are the blue runes. The rarest are the butterfly and the seashell. You may not notice this in early levels, but its a sad fact later on. Use these sparingly or not at all, go around and use others.

That's funny that as my rarest blue beast rune is the snail and on my other account it's the turtle these change all the time.

In the Mayan runes board itself did you know you can click all the e.g Gebo runes from the board if your getting too many of them and I would suggest getting all the chest as there are parts of the " Voodoo Sandals" in all 3 chests every now and then.

Your missing out on so much dragon food by not feeding all the creatures at your neighbours. few more noses from feeding all the Paris creatures I smile and go I've a new hobby collecting all those noses

Marjasinstar
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,947 Posts

[Post New]by Marjasinstar on Feb 2, 15 10:06 PM
deadme wrote:
That's funny that as my rarest blue beast rune is the snail and on my other account it's the turtle these change all the time.

In the Mayan runes board itself did you know you can click all the e.g Gebo runes from the board if your getting too many of them and I would suggest getting all the chest as there are parts of the " Voodoo Sandals" in all 3 chests every now and then.

Your missing out on so much dragon food by not feeding all the creatures at your neighbours. few more noses from feeding all the Paris creatures I smile and go I've a new hobby collecting all those noses
My rare blue runes change all of the time, too. And I agree, you are missing out if you don't feed all of the Paris creatures. Food is scarce. The more you gather, the less you pay for.

Edited on 02/02/2015 at 10:07:51 PM PST

Marjasinstar
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,947 Posts

[Post New]by Marjasinstar on Feb 2, 15 10:23 PM
bluekiwis wrote:Here are the results I got from last night's helping & chasing creatures:
Out of 769 total creatures helped/chased

Frequency of creatures appearing on neighbors' by item used:
Mask: 18.2%
Dew: 8.5%
Flint: 8.6%
Button:15.6%
Ore: 15.7%
Paranormal Trap: 15.1%
Genie's Dwelling: 18.3%

Frequency of types of food dropped:
Apple pie: 36.2%
Fruit ambrosia: 17.0%
Lunar Nectar: 10.6%
Honey Drink: 12.1%
Sweet Roots: 12.1%
Sugar Cane: 7.8%
Azure Grapes: 4.3%

Percentages of Food Dropped by Item Used:
Mask: 34.0%
Dew: 9.9%
Flint: 7.8%
Button: 14.2%
Ore: 7.1%
Paranormal Trap: 8.5%
Genie's Dwelling: 18.4%

Out of my own curiosity I also checked to see which particular creatures give more food and what types of food:

Percentages of Food Dropped by Creature:
Pirate: 16.3%
Harlequin: 8.5%
Queen: 9.3%

Tree: 3.5%
Dryad: 3.5%
Unicorn: 3.5%

Scarecrow: 3.5%
Lumberjack: 2.1%
Lion: 2.1%

Mime: 4.3%
Juggler: 7.8%
Hunchback: 1.4%

Celestial Elemental: 4.3%
Sea Nymph: 2.1%
Mountain Giant: 0.7%

Ghosts: 8.5%
Genies: 18.4%

Percentages of Types of Food Dropped by Item Used:

Apple Pie
Mask: 41.2%
Dew: 5.9%
Flint: 5.9%
Button: 13.7%
Ore: 9.8%
Paranormal Trap: 9.8%
Genie's Dwelling: 13.7%

Fruit Ambrosia
Mask: 20.8%
Dew: 12.5%
Flint: 16.7%
Button: 25.0%
Ore: 12.5%
Paranormal Trap: 4.2%
Genie's Dwelling: 8.3%

Lunar Nectar
Mask: 26.7%
Dew: 20.0%
Flint: -%
Button: 20.0%
Ore: -%
Paranormal Trap: -%
Genie's Dwelling: 33.3%

Honey Drink
Mask: 35.3%
Dew: 17.6%
Flint: -%
Button: 5.9%
Paranormal Trap: 11.8%
Genie's Dwelling: 29.4%

Sweet Roots
Mask: 41.2%
Dew: -%
Flint: 5.9%
Button: 11.8%
Ore: 5.9%
Paranormal Trap: 17.6%
Genie's Dwelling: 17.6%

Sugar Cane
Mask: 27.3%
Dew: 18.2%
Flint: 18.2%
Button: 9.1%
Paranormal Trap: -%
Genie's Dwelling: 27.3%

Azure Grapes
Mask: 33.3%
Dew: -%
Flint: 16.7%
Button: -%
Ore: 16.7%
Paranormal Trap: 16.7%
Genie's Dwelling: 16.7%

Bottom line: My numbers are similar to firerose's and the creatures that require the Mask definitely gave the most dragon food, plus genies. Food drops roughly at the rate of 1 in every 5 helpings.

Marjasinstar
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,947 Posts

[Post New]by Marjasinstar on Feb 2, 15 10:25 PM
Bluekiwis and Firerose both did research on which creature dropped the best food, etc. I posts Bluekiwis findings above. Firerose's is here:

firerose01 wrote:I did a statistical analysis of how often my neighbours creatures gave me any sort of dragon food depending on what I fed them over several days. Here are my results:

Masks: 29.82%
Dew: 10.95%
Ghosts: 7.69%
Buttons: 6.25%
Flint: 4.17%
Ore: 1.12%

The creatures that require the Mask gave the most dragon food. The type of foods slightly favoured the lower end, but over 100 or so feedings covered the range from +5 and +200. So if you are desperate for food, focus on those creatures.

The thread in which this was discussed is here: http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/264735.page

SunFlash
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by SunFlash on Feb 4, 15 12:04 AM
deadme wrote:

In the Mayan runes board itself did you know you can click all the e.g Gebo runes from the board if your getting too many of them

I don't understand what this means. Can someone clarify it a little, please?

Edited on 02/04/2015 at 12:04:52 AM PST

Go to: