babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files: Fates Carnival Collectors Edition

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Dec 14, 13 8:58 PM
Well I just finished this game & it was VERY VERY VERY VERY long & extremely enjoyable& I did not ant it to end!!!!! It has been a long time since I was this happy with Big Fish!!! I have not one complaint regarding this game. I KNOW you will enjoy this! It is THAT GOOD!!!!!!!!

cwy2009
Guppy
Guppy
188 Posts

[Post New]by cwy2009 on Dec 15, 13 4:46 PM
To :

Great game. A few observations and suggestions:

The hidden-object scenes in this game are not hard enough, even with all the interactivity going on. OBJECTS ARE OFTEN TOO BIG. I clicked randomly all over the screen and was able to catch several objects without even needing to look at the descriptions. And that's because the objects occupied too much screen area. And there wasn't any penalty to clicking haphazardly. With such high-resolution graphics there is no reason or need to make the objects so big.

The MCF games are getting darker and darker the last few years. Would you consider having a game with COMEDIC feel and subject matter? I know departing from a successful formula is risky. But remember the early MCF games were all somewhat comedic in nature.

In the bonus game, the 3-part Rube Goldberg puzzles with the voodoo doll was FANTASTIC. PLEASE CONSIDER DOING THIS KIND OF MULTI-PART GOLDBERG PUZZLES IN THE **MAIN** GAME FOR THE FUTURE. With the multi-part nature, you can even tell a story with it. I loved the way the 3 puzzles had a common "theme", and that you can apply what you "learned" from the previous puzzle to the next one.

Also, in the bonus game, there is a "spot the difference" hidden-object scene (on the "canvas" in the organ room). I MISS THOSE. The MCF series hardly has enough of these. Please use them more frequently for the future.

Earlier MCF games have H.O. scene within a H.O. scene (e.g. Madame Fate). Please bring those back as well. Haven't seen those in ages.

Edited on 12/15/2013 at 4:47:49 PM PST

rockey69
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by rockey69 on Dec 17, 13 4:07 PM
I have to add my review, I have played this game about 3 times now, I love it. I waited a year for this game to come out and I was not disappointed. I think my favorite thing was the super puzzles, they were hard but so much fun. Now I have to wait another year for the next Mystery Case to come out. Happy Holidays Everyone.

Edited on 12/17/2013 at 4:08:27 PM PST

oldbag60
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by oldbag60 on Dec 20, 13 4:11 AM
Well blimey, it's definitely worth the money, I found it absorbing with brilliant mini games and little extras. It took me days to finish it was soooo long. More please.

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Dec 21, 13 1:46 PM
I have to go against the grain on this one. I thought the game was way too long, too dark and too gloomy. I found I had to spend a lot of time looking in the strategy guide to get through this. I couldn't pick up a lot of the morphing cards and bobble heads. I saw them but just couldn't grab them. The map showed things to do in places where they couldn't be done yet which is frustrating to me. I didn't think this was a terrible game but I just didn't enjoy it as much as other people did. I had to skip a lot of the interactive puzzles because they just didn't work for me. A case in point was in the bonus chapter when I had to stop the pictures on the TV screen from moving. I did but nothing happened and I couldn't progress. I finally skipped. Things like that happened in several of those games for me. I hate skipping mini games. All in all I will probably never play this again.

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Dec 21, 13 11:12 PM

NOTE: REVIEW IS BASED ON DEMO OF SE. POSTING IN CE FORUM AND ON CE PAGE IN CASE I DECIDE TO BUY.

I didn't play the CE because I didn't like the previous two Mystery Case Files games, but because of all the reviews, I trialed the SE. This is most definitely an improvement (and a big one at that), but I'm not sure if I want to buy it.

The story is great- far better than anything previously. You are called to a place where one of your past cases happened (Madame Fate's Carnival), and you soon discover something strange. Someone- or something- is attempting to kill all the people involved in the carnival, in ways that are similar to their acts! (E.g. cutting the magician in half, trapping the mermaid in water). This is a very gripping storyline that hooked me pretty much right from the start. It doesn't have many twists and turns, but as you uncover each victim, the story gets more and more gripping.

Keeping with the tradition of past MCF games, this game is very different and extremely challenging. The puzzles are unique, and some are very lengthy. For example, some puzzles require multiple different steps to get them done, and thus, the skip takes five minutes to charge on these puzzles. This provides and extra challenge, and motivates you to try and solve the puzzle.
The only thing that wasn't different was the HOS. They were the classic junkpile, but had some extra step objects. The HOS were fun and a little bit challenging for me.
In addition to this, you are given Madame Fate's cat, Isis, who will prove to be of great use to you. She is used 3 times throughout the demo. I would've liked it if she was used a little bit more.
In the end, the thing that's missing here is the fun factor. Despite the good story and the challenging gameplay, I wasn't really having fun with it. I have no idea why.

The graphics are outstanding. Everything was so, so clear, it was a visual delight. The character designs are great. All the scenes and character designs were drawn with so much detail.
The voice-overs are standard, so I have no comment on those. They weren't good or bad.

(TBC in a second post)

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Dec 21, 13 11:14 PM
(review continued)

FEATURES
5 modes of difficulty: Easy, medium, hard, extra hard and timed. Timed is unlocked after completing the main game. Differences are hint/skip recharge times, sparkles and the cursor charging over areas (applies to mode 4 only).
Hint/Skip- Hint recharges at a reasonable speed for the difficulty, but the skip takes a bit too long. Hint is very useful outside HOS.
Diary- unlike the original diary, this diary is picked up after starting play and contains clues to various puzzles, rather than keeping track of events.
Map- the map is interactive and lets you know where there is a task to be done.
Isis- Isis is your animal helper. She is rarely used.

CE EXCLUSIVES
Achievements.
Built in Strategy Guide.
Bonus Chapter
Play Solitary
A shop for Isis- this is where you can spend money on things for the cat.
Collectibles- Bobbleheads, morphing objects
Wallpapers
Music
Concept Art

I still haven't made up my mind as to whether or not I'm going to buy this. It's definitely a unique and challenging game and is definitely worth looking at!

[Post New]by Anna_Allison on Dec 23, 13 2:43 PM
The bonus game alone was longer than a lot of SEs. And there were very clever -- and challenging puzzles. Hint system was great. All in all, fun to see the carnival characters again and well worth the money.

janey3315
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by janey3315 on Dec 25, 13 8:11 PM
Wow...This is what we MCF die hard fans have been waiting for. Even though a lot of this type of game we've seen before, this game has all the things we loved about the original MCF especially the door puzzles. Elephant games most definitely knows what gamer's want and they pulled it off. This is an extremely long game and worth every penny. Hats off to the developers on this great game. My favorite MCF is Dire Grove and I want to keep it that way. If Elephant games can make a better game than Dire Grove then i'll have a new favorite MCF but i think they did a great job on this one.

[Post New]by perplexed321 on Dec 26, 13 4:48 PM
Totally tedious game and the lamest ending ever. I thought I would never get to the end and then with no warning the game was completely over. The hidden object scenes were too scarce and wayyyyyy too easy to solve. The "in-betweeners" were very difficult to solve, at least for me and I am usually good at figuring those out, and I was constantly pressing "Hint" just to move the game along because the next step in the game wasn't at all obvious. Carried around a lighter in the inventory for AGES before using it and I did not find the use of the cat to be imaginative or "fun". I don't know why Mystery Case Files cannot reproduce the fun and challenge of Madame Fate and Return to Ravenhearst but the last two or three entries in this series have been exceedingly disappointing and I doubt I buy any more of their games. Insane asylums and broken-down carnivals aren't my idea of a good time.

[Post New]by tlodge28 on Dec 28, 13 12:42 PM
I have never reviewed a game before so bear with me. I have been a member for quite a few years and have bought quite a few games. I usually buy the Collector Editions and play on the Casual levels. I use these games as stress relief and don't want to rack my brain too much.

This is one of the best MCF games I have ever played and the longest one I have ever played. I did not manage to get all of the bonus objects the first time around. I am going to go back and try again on a harder level and see if I can get all of them. I don't usually do that, but I don't mind, because I had so much fun.

I did the bonus game and then I did the secret room. I did not want it to end. There were a couple of glitches, but I just exited the game and then went back in and they were resolved. I hope they fix these minor bugs.

I really like how they went back to Madame Fate and expanded on her storyline. It was fun and entertaining. The puzzles were perfect for me and the HOP's were challenging, even for someone that has done quite a few of them.

Great concept and great game!

SavemeJack
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by SavemeJack on Dec 31, 13 7:54 PM
I don't know if there is something wrong with me, or something wrong with the MCF game. I demoed the CE, and quit after 20 minutes. Very dark, very confusing, had to use the hint button way too much, and must have skipped most puzzles in the short demo. Objects were small and really unidentifiable.

I have most of the old MCF games, with Return to Ravenhood my favorite. It was an adventure - no hand holding, no quick fill hints, just pure and simple figure it out yourself, which, of course, if you took the time to think, you did ultimately figure it out.

Maybe these CE's where HOS are sooo important, and puzzles make the world go 'round, hints and strategy guides, and morphing objects, and collectables are not for me anymore.

I think I'm the only one here with a bad review - my bad, I guess. Hope you all enjoy it as much as you say you do.

BTW, Happy New Year to all the fishes , and I wish only the best of your wishes come true for 2014. Most of all, for everyone worldwide, or at least more people trying for that goal.

[Post New]by fun2pla2002 on Jan 1, 14 10:34 AM
I finished the game yesterday and really loved it! Will play it over and over I'm sure. I really needed the help or walkthrough though. I just can't get them done I don't think without a bit of help at times. Will give it 5 Stars for sure!

kelsie2
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by kelsie2 on Jan 1, 14 12:04 PM
What a great Long game, and fantastic value !!!
Puzzles were intriguing ,really gave the brain a workout !!
Graphics and sound superb !
Worth buying the CE , lots of extra goodies
Thank you Big Fish and of course the Elephants,
I have played all the MCF games and this in my view was the best !

Tomsde
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Tomsde on Jan 1, 14 7:58 PM
The best MCF Games since Dire Grove. I really didn't care much for the offerings since then, I was especially not fond of the live actors. Elephant does a good job in capturing the look of the prior Fate/Ravenhurst Games faithfully. The crime computer is back, but it's essentially just bling. Many of the puzzles are similar to those found in Ravenhurst and Return to Ravenhurst with weird gadgets. The music was revived from earlier games in the Ravenhurst story arc. I'd like to see more like this. I played on the easiest setting and still found it to be difficult. The MCF series have been some of most difficult games in the hidden object genre that Big Fish offers--but I will applaud them for giving you enough hints and info on request so that you don't have to resort to an online walk through to get through something. To me the story is more important, if I can't solve a puzzle in 5-10 minutes I want the solution so I can move on.

The game is VERY long with tons of bonus materials. Again the CE offers a more satisfying end to the story; if you're a MCF fan definitely spring for the CE.

Love the MCF games!

[Post New]by jenifercher on Jan 9, 14 7:02 AM
I wish MCF would come out with something new more often. They are the best games, in my opinion. This was NO disappointment. I buy the MCF games before I even try the free 1 hr cause I know I will love it.

[Post New]by mattiehelen2002 on Jan 23, 14 4:52 PM
I always buy, sight unseen, any MCF game. The Fates Carnival CE, is ok, but it seems to me a lot of the games have poorly put together SGs. It's like the SG was an after thought. Here lately, they have not been helpful at all on a number of games, including Fates Carnival. There is no logic to the Fates Carnival study guide explanation, and some of the instruction is smudged. Some of the HOs are terribly, i.e., the one with the telephone code that you cannot read! The new SGs just mainly show a picture with numbers or letters, some of which are missing some of the numbers AND letters. I have been playing the game for the past several days and for some reason, it is just not much fun anymore playing HOs. There is no logic to many of the games being rushed to sell. I always try to get CEs, but having some of the study guides seems to be a waste of money when they are not helpful. I probably need to start previewing games before I buy because the quality seems to be going downhill. Just voicing my sentiments, but I still intend to keep playing Fates Carnival -- don't know if I would recommend it though. Have to finish it and it looks like I have a ways to go since the only one I rescued is Marlene. I do like the length of the game. Will comment more after I finish it.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Feb 1, 14 4:37 PM
Wow, very loooong game. Thought it was interesting how it was tied into Ravenhurst...that surprised me. Amazing graphics and the voice overs are not bad...music must of been OK because I didn't turn it off.

A lot of HOG and that did seem to get a bit tiring. Some puzzles were very easy and others, especially the ones with many things to do got a bit overwhelming. Good thing both the HINT and Skip are pretty quick. Mostly I skipped a lot of the games because they just became too tedious and I wanted to get on with the game.

Game has a good transporter map which is definately needed since this game is all over the place. I got to where I used the hint to move around since the transporter map has several places of "interest", but not necessary the place you need to go at that moment.....hint takes you to the right place you need to go.

I enjoyed the game, but it was way too long and got a bit boring and add the Bonus game which was long too it was a bit overwhelming.

The ending to the the game was a bit abrupt, especially after such a long time. The bonus game doesn't enhance the ending but just has a life of its own.

A lot of morphing stuff which I don't care for...I imagine the SE will be just as good unless you are into all the morphing stuff. As amazing as the game was I can only give it a 3+ out of 5.

And one thing that really irritates the peawadin out of me is I am not a zodiac/astrology person....don't give me a bunch of runes and expect me to figure out what astrological sign they are....good grief.

Edited on 02/01/2014 at 4:40:26 PM PST

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Feb 5, 14 2:54 AM
I can't begin to imagine what Monstrously Tough could be like. I might try it just for kicks, but...

I'm having a very hard time with this game. A few other reviewers have written that they don't feel drawn in. I'm missing that same feeling. It's OK that a game take a lot of work because that work can be fun. Unfortunately, I've not been having fun. I wrote to my friend, the prolific and poetic JustTheFacts to confirm I'm not off my rocker. Wouldn't you know it, not unlike that visit to the Doctor with the impending sense of doom, that terrible symptom that won't go away...until the moment you step into the Doctor's office...

...something clicked and this game suddenly became fun for me. YAY.

I have one review/question about the mini-game story boards: How does one solve them, in a reasonable amount of time, without going to the hint button? I cannot begin to approach a solution without hints.

Despite my earlier concerns and continuing challenges, I have to say, this game is a winner. I'm glad that "something" clicked or else I wouldn't be able to offer up that bit of praise I'm afraid.

[Post New]by mattiehelen2002 on Feb 5, 14 11:26 AM
Well, I finally finished the game, but have not started the bonus yet. I am not sure what to say about Fates Carnival. I sort of liked it, but it was cluttered with so things to do and it made me have to take frequent breaks.

As I said in an earlier post, this MFC game is not for the faint of heart. I really did enjoy the puzzles even though I had to use both the hints and the strategy guide. The really great feature in this game was the teleport, which was ingenious. It saved me the headache of having to find where to go. I will be playing this game again and again until I master it without the hints or the strategy guide. The journal has me puzzled. I solved a lot of the puzzles in the journal when I finally realized there were puzzles to be solved, but the game ended so abruptly before I could go back and solve some more. I wanted to finish the piano section and had finished 11 of the keys. I also did not recognize the morphing items until late in the game. Maybe it will let me finish some of these things in the bonus round, or when I replay it, or if there is a extra play/replay puzzles section.

I love the Elephant games collaboration. I thought I recognized all of the characters except one. This was really a great continuation on Madam Fate and the MCF series. Loved the graphics, but I usually play with no sound.

Go to: